Mailing List Archive

Disk setup
I have the set up below:-

All I want to know is should I change the mountpoint for the HDD to
/var/lib/mythtv
rather than
/var/lib/mythtv/recordings1

Disk Usage Details:

- MythTV Drive #1: (SSD)
- Directories: fishmyth:/var/lib/mythtv/livetv,
fishmyth:/var/lib/mythtv/streaming
- Total Space: 116,143 MB
- Space Used: 16,777 MB
- Space Free: 99,365 MB
- MythTV Drive #2: (HDD)
- Directory: fishmyth:/var/lib/mythtv/recordings1
- Total Space: 2,816,555 MB
- Space Used: 191,874 MB
- Space Free: 2,624,681 MB

--

Robert Fisher

<#DDB4FAA8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>
Re: Disk setup [ In reply to ]
On 18/04/16 17:41, Robert Fisher wrote:

> I have the set up below:-
>
> All I want to know is should I change the mountpoint for the HDD to
> /var/lib/mythtv
> rather than
> /var/lib/mythtv/recordings1
>
> Disk Usage Details:
>
> * MythTV Drive #1: (SSD)
> o Directories: fishmyth:/var/lib/mythtv/livetv,
> fishmyth:/var/lib/mythtv/streaming
> o Total Space: 116,143 MB
> o Space Used: 16,777 MB
> o Space Free: 99,365 MB
> * MythTV Drive #2: (HDD)
> o Directory: fishmyth:/var/lib/mythtv/recordings1
> o Total Space: 2,816,555 MB
> o Space Used: 191,874 MB
> o Space Free: 2,624,681 MB

For what gain?

Do you want to move the livetv directory onto the same physical disk, so
that it doesn't do an inter-disk copy if you record live tv ?

--
Criggie

http://criggie.org.nz/

Re: Disk setup [ In reply to ]
The question relates more to what is best practice.

Virus-free.

On 18 April 2016 at 18:32, criggie <criggie@criggie.org.nz> wrote:

> On 18/04/16 17:41, Robert Fisher wrote:
> >
> > I have the set up below:-
> >
> > All I want to know is should I change the mountpoint for the HDD to
> > /var/lib/mythtv
> > rather than
> > /var/lib/mythtv/recordings1
> >
> > Disk Usage Details:
> >
> > * MythTV Drive #1: (SSD)
> > o Directories: fishmyth:/var/lib/mythtv/livetv,
> > fishmyth:/var/lib/mythtv/streaming
> > o Total Space: 116,143 MB
> > o Space Used: 16,777 MB
> > o Space Free: 99,365 MB
> > * MythTV Drive #2: (HDD)
> > o Directory: fishmyth:/var/lib/mythtv/recordings1
> > o Total Space: 2,816,555 MB
> > o Space Used: 191,874 MB
> > o Space Free: 2,624,681 MB
>
> For what gain?
>
> Do you want to move the livetv directory onto the same physical disk, so
> that it doesn't do an inter-disk copy if you record live tv ?
>

> --
> Criggie
>
> http://criggie.org.nz/

Robert Fisher
Re: Disk setup [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 18 Apr 2016 17:41:34 +1200, you wrote:

>I have the set up below:-
>
>All I want to know is should I change the mountpoint for the HDD to
>/var/lib/mythtv
>rather than
>/var/lib/mythtv/recordings1
>
>Disk Usage Details:
>
> - MythTV Drive #1: (SSD)
> - Directories: fishmyth:/var/lib/mythtv/livetv,
> fishmyth:/var/lib/mythtv/streaming
> - Total Space: 116,143 MB
> - Space Used: 16,777 MB
> - Space Free: 99,365 MB
> - MythTV Drive #2: (HDD)
> - Directory: fishmyth:/var/lib/mythtv/recordings1
> - Total Space: 2,816,555 MB
> - Space Used: 191,874 MB
> - Space Free: 2,624,681 MB
>
> --
>
>Robert Fisher

My preference is to have all my mount points for other drives under
/mnt. That makes it easy to find mounted drives. So I have:

/mnt/arc1
/mnt/rec1
/mnt/rec2
/mnt/rec3
/mnt/rec4
/mnt/rec5
/mnt/rec6
/mnt/rec7
/mnt/vid1
/mnt/vid2
/mnt/vid3

The rec* drives are MythTV recording drives. The vid* drives are
MythTV videos drives. I also have some other network mounts for
access to other PCs on my network - I do daily database backups to
another PC, for example.

It is vital that you always have your recordings going to a
subdirectory on a mounted drive. I use "recordings" for that, so the
"Default" storage group has an entry "/mnt/rec1/recordings" for the
rec1 drive. If you record to the root of a mounted drive, MythTV has
no way to know if the drive is actually mounted or not, and will
record to it if it is not mounted. Having the subdirectory means that
if MythTV can not see the subdirectory on the mount point, it will not
record to it.

My arc1 drive is an 8 Tbyte Seagate ST8000AS0002 archive drive - it
stores archived recordings and is normally switched off when not in
use. It is unable to be used as a normal recording drive as it is a
drive-managed shingled (SMT) device that will stop in the middle of
writing something when it has to rewrite its shingles, so it can have
0 bytes/s write speed for up to a minute or so worst case, causing
recordings to fail. It is put on an "Archives" storage group I have
created, so MythTV will not record to it unless I create a special
recording rule specifying that storage group. But MythTV will find
recordings on that drive to play back or delete due to it being on a
storage group - all storage groups are searched for recordings.

Re: Disk setup [ In reply to ]
Thanks for the replies so far.
So I gather that it is OK to have livetv and streaming on the SSD then?

Robert Fisher