channel changes and EPG updates without problems?)

--
Robert Fisher
Re: WAF [ In reply to ]
> Assuming that I buy recommended hardware and install recommended software,
> could I expect MythTV to perform as well as TiVo? (Software updates,
> channel changes and EPG updates without problems?)

Short answer is no, theres a reason you pay monthly fees for other
services, its for people to do this stuff for you.

That being said netflix/lightbox and kodi/mythtv with a single tuner has
pretty much removed all TV use in our household

> --
> Robert Fisher

"Weekends don't count unless you spend them doing something completely
pointless. " - Calvin
Re: WAF [ In reply to ]
Ha!

I just checked and realised that I asked the same question 3 years ago.
Time to just dive in I think. Especially as my helpful neighbour/friend is
a bit of a MythTV and Kodi guru.

--
Robert Fisher
Re: WAF [ In reply to ]
Robert Fisher wrote:
> Assuming that I buy recommended hardware and install recommended software,
> could I expect MythTV to perform as well as TiVo? (Software updates,
> channel changes and EPG updates without problems?)

Honestly - we're our own worst enemies when it comes to updates.

Get it going and leave it alone. I haven't made changes to my myth
environment for years now, and it hasn't broken.

The boxes are on the LAN and not accessible from the internet, so security
is a minor worry.

--
Criggie

http://criggie.org.nz/

Re: WAF [ In reply to ]
Rob, as the neighbour in question, I can loan you a HDHomerun if you want
to try this out. All you need then is something capable of running ubuntu
server.

Re: WAF [ In reply to ]
On 15/04/16 09:27, Robert Fisher wrote:

> On 8 March 2016 at 11:03, Robert Fisher <robert@fisher.net.nz
> <mailto:robert@fisher.net.nz>> wrote:
>
> Ha!
>
> I just checked and realised that I asked the same question 3 years
> ago.
> Time to just dive in I think. Especially as my helpful
> neighbour/friend is a bit of a MythTV and Kodi guru.

Well, thanks to Nick Rout for helping and Hads for supplying the
HDHomerun, I now have a working backend.
My main Frontends are Amazon FireTVs and a Google Nexus Player, all
running Kodi with bluetooth remotes.

My only bugbear is FF and rewind with the remotes. Google search finds
heaps of posts about the same issue on these devices (it works fine on
my front end on my Linux computer)

What are the local recommendations for small frontends?
There was a thread on here a couple of years ago about NUCs with mixed
advice.
Re: WAF [ In reply to ]
Robert Fisher wrote:
> What are the local recommendations for small frontends?

I use an Acer Revo with the nvidia chipset and it works well enough. We
leave it on all the time. My TV causes more problems than the myth side.

Recently I've been trying to get my raspberry Pi2 running mythfrontend,
but it was getting no more than 2 fps, which is not good enough. More
work required on that.

--
Criggie

http://criggie.org.nz/

Re: WAF [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Apr 15, 2016 at 4:54 PM, Criggie <criggie@criggie.org.nz> wrote:

> Robert Fisher wrote:
> > What are the local recommendations for small frontends?
>

> I use an Acer Revo with the nvidia chipset and it works well enough. We
> leave it on all the time. My TV causes more problems than the myth side.
>
> Recently I've been trying to get my raspberry Pi2 running mythfrontend,
> but it was getting no more than 2 fps, which is not good enough. More
> work required on that.
>

> --
> Criggie
>
> http://criggie.org.nz/

There has been quite a bit on mythfrontend on pi in the mythtv-users

I use kodi exclusively for frontends now. I don't ff or rw, I use skip
which works fine.

Robert, I have a spare revo if you want to try it, and a chromebox.
Re: WAF [ In reply to ]
On 15/04/16 18:01, Nick Rout wrote:
> There has been quite a bit on mythfrontend on pi in the mythtv-users
> mailing list lately.
>
> I use kodi exclusively for frontends now. I don't ff or rw, I use skip
> which works fine.
>
> Robert, I have a spare revo if you want to try it, and a chromebox.
Finding the Skip function on my FireTV remotes might be the answer. More
research to come.

Re: WAF [ In reply to ]
I have a nuc. Couldn't be happier. Tried the pi but was a little under
powered for processing file conversions and video. I wrote about it in my
new Web page guide sling with controlling via a small bluetooth keyboard. I
also wrote a troubleshooting guide to myth as well. Super easy. Here:
shoelace.altervista.org
Have fun. Karl

Re: WAF [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Apr 15, 2016 at 6:08 PM, Robert Fisher <robert@fisher.net.nz> wrote:

> On 15/04/16 18:01, Nick Rout wrote:
>
>> There has been quite a bit on mythfrontend on pi in the mythtv-users
>> mailing list lately.
>>
>> I use kodi exclusively for frontends now. I don't ff or rw, I use skip
>> which works fine.
>>
>> Robert, I have a spare revo if you want to try it, and a chromebox.
>>
> Finding the Skip function on my FireTV remotes might be the answer. More
> research to come.

Right arrow during playback.
Re: WAF [ In reply to ]
From: Nick Rout <nick.rout@gmail.com>
Date: 15/04/2016 18:20 (GMT+12:00)
To: MythTV in NZ <mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz>
Subject: Re: [mythtvnz] WAF

> Right arrow during playback

Just a note that skiping like this will work well but on many low end
cpu/gpu it will have many graphics artifacts when you do it as it tries to
restart rendering at the new time position without a full key frame. Well
coded graphics drivers and video pipeline on decent hardware avoid this.
This is where revo's with nvidia gpu work well as well as many intel
nuc's. But you have to pay a little more for this feature so see if you
can tolerate it on your current hardware first.

The nucs have come a long way and you don't need the higher end i3-i7
versions to get fully capable intel gpu's now.

http://nucblog.net/2015/07/braswell-nuc-review-nuc5cpyh-htpc-openelec/

This n3050 based nuc is not too expensive and just needs a 2-4GB sodimm and
a sd card added to it to make an ideal frontend. Has all the hardware
needed built in and if you need more grunt there is a n3700 version
(NUC5PPYH) which is quad core for a little more.

They are also future proof a little doing 4k and HEVC but I can't see much
real use for that right now.
Re: WAF [ In reply to ]
On 15/04/16 18:19, Nick Rout wrote:
Right arrow during playback.

I found this too:-

How to enable 10 minute skip forward and back. These instructions are
specifically for the FireTV remote, but that only relates to steps 16 & 18.

|1 Go to System 2 Settings 3 Add-ons 4 Get add-ons 5 XBMC.org Add-ons or
Kodi Add-ons 6 Program Add-ons 7 Keymap Editor 8 Install 9 Now back out
and go to Programs 10 Program Add-ons 11 Keycap Editor 12 Edit 13 Player
Controls 14 Playback 15 Big Step Forward 16 The screen goes to the menu,
you have 5 seconds to hit UP on the remote 17 You should see numbers by
Big Step Forward now. 18 Do the same for Big Step Back, pushing DOWN on
the remote. 19 Now back out and when you get to the end hit SAVE. 20 You
now have 10 minute skip forward and backward again.|
Re: WAF [ In reply to ]
Just ordered a NUC5PPYH from Dove

I will have a high WAF if it performs as well as my PC.
My early version FireTV is quite painful when FF or Rewinding.
My late model FireTV is better but my PC is smooth so I look forward to
setting up the new NUC.

On 15 April 2016 at 19:58, Michael West <michael@iposs.co.nz> wrote:

> From: Nick Rout <nick.rout@gmail.com>
> Date: 15/04/2016 18:20 (GMT+12:00)
> To: MythTV in NZ <mythtvnz@lists.linuxnut.co.nz>
> Subject: Re: [mythtvnz] WAF
>

>> Right arrow during playback
>

> Just a note that skiping like this will work well but on many low end
> cpu/gpu it will have many graphics artifacts when you do it as it tries to
> restart rendering at the new time position without a full key frame. Well
> coded graphics drivers and video pipeline on decent hardware avoid this.
> This is where revo's with nvidia gpu work well as well as many intel
> nuc's. But you have to pay a little more for this feature so see if you
> can tolerate it on your current hardware first.
>
> The nucs have come a long way and you don't need the higher end i3-i7
> versions to get fully capable intel gpu's now.
>

> http://nucblog.net/2015/07/braswell-nuc-review-nuc5cpyh-htpc-openelec/
>
> This n3050 based nuc is not too expensive and just needs a 2-4GB sodimm
> and a sd card added to it to make an ideal frontend. Has all the hardware
> needed built in and if you need more grunt there is a n3700 version
> (NUC5PPYH) which is quad core for a little more.
>
> They are also future proof a little doing 4k and HEVC but I can't see much
> real use for that right now.

Robert Fisher
Re: WAF [ In reply to ]
I have a download of the latest LibreELEC which should run just fine on
that.

Re: WAF [ In reply to ]
And I know where you live.

Rob Fisher

Re: WAF [ In reply to ]
You could probably have had one of the Chromeboxes in my spares drawer.

Re: WAF [ In reply to ]
I might try it as another learning exercise.

On 20 April 2016 at 12:22, Nick Rout <nick.rout@gmail.com> wrote:

> You could probably have had one of the Chromeboxes in my spares drawer.
>
> On Wed, Apr 20, 2016 at 11:50 AM, Robert Fisher <robert@fisher.net.nz>
> wrote:
>
>> And I know where you live.
>>
>> Rob Fisher
>> On 20 Apr 2016 11:18 a.m., "Nick Rout" <nick.rout@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I have a download of the latest LibreELEC which should run just fine on
>>> that.

Robert Fisher
Re: WAF [ In reply to ]
Good luck setting this up. Should be fairly straight forward. One thing
to try out if you need it is the built in IR receiver which may mean you
can set it up to work with a random remote you already have. Haven't set
one up myself so don't know the exact steps though sorry.

It's amazing how many ports and features they pack into these things.

Re: WAF [ In reply to ]
I installed LibreELEC and it seems to work fine with keyboard controls.
I am struggling to find a howto to use my Harmony remote.

On 20 April 2016 at 14:44, Michael West <michael@iposs.co.nz> wrote:

> Good luck setting this up. Should be fairly straight forward. One thing
> to try out if you need it is the built in IR receiver which may mean you
> can set it up to work with a random remote you already have. Haven't set
> one up myself so don't know the exact steps though sorry.
>
> It's amazing how many ports and features they pack into these things.
>

> On Wed, Apr 20, 2016 at 11:05 AM, Robert Fisher <robert@fisher.net.nz>
> wrote:
>
>> Just ordered a NUC5PPYH from Dove
>>
>> I will have a high WAF if it performs as well as my PC.
>> My early version FireTV is quite painful when FF or Rewinding.
>> My late model FireTV is better but my PC is smooth so I look forward to
>> setting up the new NUC.

Robert Fisher
Re: WAF [ In reply to ]
I found this
https://support.myharmony.com/en-us/compatibility?utm_source=support%20agent&utm_medium=forums%20-%20logi&utm_campaign=compatibility%20lookup

Harmony device checker tells me that the Intel NUC is supported.

--
Robert Fisher
Re: WAF [ In reply to ]
On 21 April 2016 at 11:05, Robert Fisher <robert@fisher.net.nz> wrote:

I installed LibreELEC and it seems to work fine with keyboard controls.

I am struggling to find a howto to use my Harmony remote.

Ok so harmony and LIRC on Linux/Myth/KODI is a bit of a confusing one. It
should be straight forward except for the fact that both LIRC and harmony
are trying to do almost the same thing but from different angles and this
causes problems and confusion.

Basically LIRC is configurable to respond to any remote control (with the
right IR receiver type) and it can also learn new remote codes manually.
While Harmony is configurable to emulate any remote control and also has
the ability to learn new remote codes.

Then when you mix the two together it is confusing because there is no
defined remote codes to pick. Here is a quick analogy. LIRC is sort of
like a bolt that can be any size it wants so you can use any spanner to
turn it. While Harmony is a spanner that can be any size it needs to be to
turn any bolt. But when you bring them together what size bolt/spanner
does it pick???

So the trick to make them work together is to pick a random real device
with a remote and get LIRC to pretend to be the device and harmony to
emulate it’s remote. There are a few guides and example lircd.conf files
you can find via google to help you with this. From the harmony end you
need to enter a specific device and model number that matches up with the
LIRC config you have selected.

Here is some more info that may help:

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=220677
Re: WAF [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Apr 21, 2016 at 12:10 PM, Michael West <michael@iposs.co.nz> wrote:

> On 21 April 2016 at 11:05, Robert Fisher <robert@fisher.net.nz> wrote:
>
> I installed LibreELEC and it seems to work fine with keyboard controls.
>
> I am struggling to find a howto to use my Harmony remote.
>

> Ok so harmony and LIRC on Linux/Myth/KODI is a bit of a confusing one. It
> should be straight forward except for the fact that both LIRC and harmony
> are trying to do almost the same thing but from different angles and this
> causes problems and confusion.
>

> Basically LIRC is configurable to respond to any remote control (with the
> right IR receiver type) and it can also learn new remote codes manually.
> While Harmony is configurable to emulate any remote control and also has
> the ability to learn new remote codes.
>

> Then when you mix the two together it is confusing because there is no
> defined remote codes to pick. Here is a quick analogy. LIRC is sort of
> like a bolt that can be any size it wants so you can use any spanner to
> turn it. While Harmony is a spanner that can be any size it needs to be to
> turn any bolt. But when you bring them together what size bolt/spanner
> does it pick???
>

> So the trick to make them work together is to pick a random real device
> with a remote and get LIRC to pretend to be the device and harmony to
> emulate it’s remote. There are a few guides and example lircd.conf files
> you can find via google to help you with this. From the harmony end you
> need to enter a specific device and model number that matches up with the
> LIRC config you have selected.
>

> Here is some more info that may help:
>

> http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=220677

This blog post is ALWAYS my go to for remotes on Open/LibreELEC.

http://nucblog.net/2014/01/mapping-the-buttons-on-the-remote-control/
Re: WAF [ In reply to ]
I found these:-

http://openelec.tv/forum/103-infared-remotes/68314-remote-with-intel-haswell-nuc?start=30

and

http://openelec.tv/forum/12-guides-tips-and-tricks/3218-in-progress-harmony-one-complete-guide

This will have to wait until after my holiday now.

Re: WAF [ In reply to ]
beware posts that old, proceed with caution.