Mailing List Archive

Frontend will not connect to database...
Ubuntu 14.04
mythtv 0.27

Combined FE and BE (ie, same PC) but specifying fixed IP in setup for
the BE and in config.xml for the FE.

mysql seems OK - I can connect to the mythconverge as user mythtv
backend seems OK - it runs normally, with no abnormal errors in logs.

But the frontend refuses to load, with the error:

Connection to master server timed out. Either the server is down or the
master server settings in mythtv-settings does not contain the proper IP
address.
No address defined for host: localhost

I'm not sure why it should be trying to use localhost - that point of
failure is, near as I understand, when the frontend is making the
initial contact with the DB using the config.xml information (and then
it gets all the other config stuff from the DB???)

Anyone willing to give me some help before TV time starts later today???

Nick Wallingford
Tauranga

Re: Frontend will not connect to database... [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 31 Oct 2015 12:45:27 +1300, you wrote:

>Ubuntu 14.04
>mythtv 0.27
>
>Combined FE and BE (ie, same PC) but specifying fixed IP in setup for
>the BE and in config.xml for the FE.
>
>mysql seems OK - I can connect to the mythconverge as user mythtv
>backend seems OK - it runs normally, with no abnormal errors in logs.
>
>But the frontend refuses to load, with the error:
>
>Connection to master server timed out. Either the server is down or the
>master server settings in mythtv-settings does not contain the proper IP
>address.
>No address defined for host: localhost
>
>I'm not sure why it should be trying to use localhost - that point of
>failure is, near as I understand, when the frontend is making the
>initial contact with the DB using the config.xml information (and then
>it gets all the other config stuff from the DB???)
>
>Anyone willing to give me some help before TV time starts later today???
>
>Nick Wallingford
>Tauranga

Is this Mythbuntu 14.04? If so, then first check that mysql is bound
to all IP addresses. In my setup, that is done in
/etc/mysql/conf.d/mythtv.cnf which looks like this:

[mysqld]
bind-address=0.0.0.0

and in /etc/mysql/my.cnf the bind line is commented out by putting a #
character at the front of it.

If you do:

cd /etc/mysql
grep -ir bind *

you should see all the bind settings:

root@mypvr:/etc/mysql# grep -ir bind *
conf.d/mythtv.cnf:bind-address=0.0.0.0
conf.d/mythtv-tweaks-jsw.cnf:bind-address=0.0.0.0
my.cnf:#bind-address = 127.0.0.1
my.cnf.original:bind-address = 127.0.0.1

If you change any settings, restart mysql. Restarting mysql without
stopping the backend is safe only if the backend is idle. It is
probably better to stop it first, so do this (from a root prompt or
add sudo):

stop mythtv-backend
restart mysql
start mythtv-backend

Then check that the box itself has a static IP address. And make sure
what it is set to:

ifconfig

Then check that the static IP address is the one in the
/etc/mythtv/config.xml file.

Then check the same in any MythTV user directories eg:

/home/mythtv/.mythtv/config.xml
/home/<frontenduser>/.mythtv/config.xml

Then check the MythTV settings for the same IP address in the backend
and frontend settings. If you do a mysql query like this you should
see your backend settings:

mysql> select * from settings where data like '10.0.2.4';
+-----------------+----------+----------+
| value | data | hostname |
+-----------------+----------+----------+
| MasterServerIP | 10.0.2.4 | NULL |
| BackendServerIP | 10.0.2.4 | mypvr |
+-----------------+----------+----------+
2 rows in set (0.00 sec)

And this will show if you have localhost set anywhere:

mysql> select * from settings where data like '127.%' or data like
'localhost';
Empty set (0.00 sec)

Re: Frontend will not connect to database... [ In reply to ]
> [...]
>
> Then check that the static IP address is the one in the
> /etc/mythtv/config.xml file.
>
> Then check the same in any MythTV user directories eg:
>
> /home/mythtv/.mythtv/config.xml
> /home/<frontenduser>/.mythtv/config.xml
>
> Then check the MythTV settings for the same IP address in the backend
> and frontend settings. If you do a mysql query like this you should
> see your backend settings:
>
> mysql> select * from settings where data like '10.0.2.4';
> +-----------------+----------+----------+
> | value | data | hostname |
> +-----------------+----------+----------+
> | MasterServerIP | 10.0.2.4 | NULL |
> | BackendServerIP | 10.0.2.4 | mypvr |
> +-----------------+----------+----------+
> 2 rows in set (0.00 sec)
>
> And this will show if you have localhost set anywhere:
>
> mysql> select * from settings where data like '127.%' or data like

Sorry. Not mythbuntu but plain vanilla ubuntu with mythtv...

But all you said makes sense nevertheless. I sort of figured my issues
were more mysql related rather than mythtv to some extent.

But changing the various bind settings has my BE unable to connect to
the database. I think my problems is with the mysql permissions for the
mythtv user.

Database error was:
Access denied for user 'mythtv'@'media' (using password: YES)

Reasonably comfortable with phpmyadmin or mysql command line - what
should I be looking for for that user?

Thanks for helping - I *generally* manage to blunder my way to a
solution, but this one has had me stumped for most of the day!

Nick

Re: Frontend will not connect to database... [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 31 Oct 2015 17:47:54 +1300, you wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> /home/mythtv/.mythtv/config.xml
>> /home/<frontenduser>/.mythtv/config.xml
>>
>> Then check the MythTV settings for the same IP address in the backend
>> and frontend settings. If you do a mysql query like this you should
>> see your backend settings:
>>
>> mysql> select * from settings where data like '10.0.2.4';
>> +-----------------+----------+----------+
>> | value | data | hostname |
>> +-----------------+----------+----------+
>> | MasterServerIP | 10.0.2.4 | NULL |
>> | BackendServerIP | 10.0.2.4 | mypvr |
>> +-----------------+----------+----------+
>> 2 rows in set (0.00 sec)
>>
>> And this will show if you have localhost set anywhere:
>>
>> mysql> select * from settings where data like '127.%' or data like
>> 'localhost';
>> Empty set (0.00 sec)

>Sorry. Not mythbuntu but plain vanilla ubuntu with mythtv...

Which uses the Mythbuntu packages for MythTV, so it will be very
similar, just using a different desktop.

>But all you said makes sense nevertheless. I sort of figured my issues
>were more mysql related rather than mythtv to some extent.
>
>But changing the various bind settings has my BE unable to connect to
>the database. I think my problems is with the mysql permissions for the
>mythtv user.
>
> Database error was:
> Access denied for user 'mythtv'@'media' (using password: YES)
>
>Reasonably comfortable with phpmyadmin or mysql command line - what
>should I be looking for for that user?
>
>Thanks for helping - I *generally* manage to blunder my way to a
>solution, but this one has had me stumped for most of the day!
>
>Nick

I am not very good with mysql permissions at all. So far I have found
them to be a great mystery and I have avoided having anything to do
with them.

Take a look at:

https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Category:MySQL
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/MythTV#Setting_up_the_database

and see if anything there helps. There are examples of how to change
permissions, but I have no idea if they will help your problem.

See:

/usr/share/mythtv/sql/mc.sql

for how the mythconverg database is initially created.

Is "media" the name of the MythTV box? If so, then maybe what you
need is:

GRANT ALL ON mythconverg.* TO 'mythtv'@'media' IDENTIFIED BY
'password';
FLUSH PRIVILEGES;

and also the same with the full domain name of media and maybe again
with its IP address.

Or maybe even:

GRANT ALL ON mythconverg.* TO 'mythtv'@'%' IDENTIFIED BY 'password';
FLUSH PRIVILEGES;

Presuming that there is no Internet access to the MythTV box, the
latter should be fine.

Re: Frontend will not connect to database... [ In reply to ]
> [...]
>
> and see if anything there helps. There are examples of how to change
> permissions, but I have no idea if they will help your problem.
>
> See:
>
> /usr/share/mythtv/sql/mc.sql
>
> for how the mythconverg database is initially created.
>
> Is "media" the name of the MythTV box? If so, then maybe what you
> need is:
>
> GRANT ALL ON mythconverg.* TO 'mythtv'@'media' IDENTIFIED BY
> 'password';
> FLUSH PRIVILEGES;
>
> and also the same with the full domain name of media and maybe again
> with its IP address.
>
> Or maybe even:
>
> GRANT ALL ON mythconverg.* TO 'mythtv'@'%' IDENTIFIED BY 'password';
> FLUSH PRIVILEGES;
>
> Presuming that there is no Internet access to the MythTV box, the

Well, that finally resulted in joy...

A combination of the various tips re: bind addr and permissions got the
FE to trying to connect to the fixed BE IP as it should.

So I've got it fixed again - all can return to me trying to troubleshoot
some wireless AP issues now!

I think my problems were related to the bind addresses of mysql, and/or
permissions for my database user.

Thanks, Stephen!

Nick
Tauranga