Mailing List Archive

Display problems after Amp & Mythbuntu upgrade
Hi,

I've been having intermittent problems for sometime with my TV going
black on playback of offair recordings. Initally the problem would cause
TV to blank out for 2 or 3 minutes at a time and after a reboot of the
PC the recording playback would be fine.

Original setup was Mythbuntu with Ubuntu 12.04, MythTV 0.26 and
proprietary Nvidia drivers from 14 months or so ago.

I recently replaced the old Marantz Amp with a Denon one and whilst it
didb't entirely solve the display blanking problem, it reduced to only a
few seconds at a time which was easier to live with.

I started have increasing problems with Ubuntu reporting varios crashes
and when my remote stopped working I decided it was time to upgrade
things.

I upgraded to Ubuntu 14.04 and MythTV 0.27-5 using the packaged Nvidia
drivers. This solved the problems with my remote and seems to have
stopped the intermittent blanking out, but now I have a new problem.
When I turn the TV off at night, the next time I use it I have to reboot
the PC before the TV will display anything at all. If I VNC to the PC,
the display through there is fine, so I suspect a hardware or driver
issue with my Nvidia GT660.

I have also tried the newest proprietary Nvidia drivers v352, packaged
version is v340.

Anyone had similar problems with Nvidia cards? Did you solve them? What
Nvidia cards are people using successfully, my problem may be isolated
to my model?

Any help appriciated.

Regrards

Chris Macneill

Re: Display problems after Amp & Mythbuntu upgrade [ In reply to ]

I have the same problem with a Zotac Ion, turn the TV off (at the power, not
via the remote) and the screen display doesn't come back when it's turned
on.
I think I found some way to get it back a few years ago but didn't implement
it and can't remember now what it was, I just reboot the PC.

Mark

Re: Display problems after Amp & Mythbuntu upgrade [ In reply to ]
Hey guys,

I had the same problem when I upgraded last month. If you check the
archives you will find a thread called "No Display" detailing how I fixed
it.

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/mythtvnz/590160

David

Re: Display problems after Amp & Mythbuntu upgrade [ In reply to ]
Hi David,

Thanks for that pointer, solved my problem, but the method in the link
didn't quite work for me. The instructions on how to extract the EDID
binary info failed despite it being visible in the logfile created. I
found anoother way that is even simpler. The key bit of info was EDID
itself, I'd never heard of this.

In the Desktop under Applications - Settings, there is an Nvidia X
Settings App, one of the options in there is to export the EDID data,
then you just follow the rest of the link to add the new lines in
xorg.conf.

Regards

Chris Macneill