Mailing List Archive

No Display
Hi,

I've upgraded my MythTV box. It is a backend/frontend with an HVR2200
tuner card and nVidia GT220 graphics card. I have an HDMI connection from
the GT220 to my Marantz home theatre system which in turn has an HDMI
connection to my TV.

It was running Mythbuntu 12.04. I have done a fresh install of Mythbuntu
14.04. I've restored the old database and mounted the hard drives with my
recordings. Everything seems to be running fine with one exception.

I turn off my TV and home theatre system when I'm not watching anything.
When I turn them back on, the MythTV frontend doesn't display. I never had
this problem on the old version with the same hardware.

I can press Ctl-Alt-F1 and I can see the login prompt, but when I go back
to Ctl-Alt-F7 I still can't see anything.

The only way I can get the display back is to either reboot or press
Ctl-Alt-Backspace to kill the X server.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix it so when I power on my home
theatre system the frontend is displayed?

Thanks

David
Re: No Display [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 15 Sep 2015 10:39:40 +1200, David Kirk <davidrkirk@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've upgraded my MythTV box. It is a backend/frontend with an HVR2200
> tuner card and nVidia GT220 graphics card. I have an HDMI >connection
> from the GT220 to my Marantz home theatre system which in turn has an
> HDMI connection to my TV.
>
> It was running Mythbuntu 12.04. I have done a fresh install of
> Mythbuntu 14.04. I've restored the old database and mounted the hard
> >drives with my recordings. Everything seems to be running fine with
> one exception.
>
> I turn off my TV and home theatre system when I'm not watching
> anything. When I turn them back on, the MythTV frontend doesn't
> >display. I never had this problem on the old version with the same
> hardware.
>
> I can press Ctl-Alt-F1 and I can see the login prompt, but when I go
> back to Ctl-Alt-F7 I still can't see anything.
>
> The only way I can get the display back is to either reboot or press
> Ctl-Alt-Backspace to kill the X server.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix it so when I power on my home
> theatre system the frontend is displayed?
>

> Thanks
>
> David

I can't help with a solution but I might help with a clue.I'm using a
GT220 too and if I start Mythtv before the tv is on, I also get a black
screen that requires a reboot to correct.I believe it is something to do
with the GT220 not getting the EIDI info from the TV during boot up.

Paul
Re: No Display [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Sep 15, 2015 at 11:15 AM, Paulgir <paulgir@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 15 Sep 2015 10:39:40 +1200, David Kirk <davidrkirk@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I've upgraded my MythTV box. It is a backend/frontend with an HVR2200
> tuner card and nVidia GT220 graphics card. I have an HDMI connection from
> the GT220 to my Marantz home theatre system which in turn has an HDMI
> connection to my TV.
>
> It was running Mythbuntu 12.04. I have done a fresh install of Mythbuntu
> 14.04. I've restored the old database and mounted the hard drives with my
> recordings. Everything seems to be running fine with one exception.
>
> I turn off my TV and home theatre system when I'm not watching anything.
> When I turn them back on, the MythTV frontend doesn't display. I never had
> this problem on the old version with the same hardware.
>
> I can press Ctl-Alt-F1 and I can see the login prompt, but when I go back
> to Ctl-Alt-F7 I still can't see anything.
>
> The only way I can get the display back is to either reboot or press
> Ctl-Alt-Backspace to kill the X server.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix it so when I power on my home
> theatre system the frontend is displayed?
>

> Thanks
>
> David
>

> I can't help with a solution but I might help with a clue.I'm using a
> GT220 too and if I start Mythtv before the tv is on, I also get a black
> screen that requires a reboot to correct.I believe it is something to do
> with the GT220 not getting the EIDI info from the TV during boot up.
>
> Paul

For google assistance that should be EDID.

David, you can download the EDID from your TV and hard code it to an
xorg.conf file.

This problem has been dealt with a million times in the Kodi (XBMC) forums,
but they are hard to search. If I find a definitive answer I'll let you
know.

Re: No Display [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 15 Sep 2015 11:24:51 +1200, Nick Rout <nick.rout@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 15, 2015 at 11:15 AM, Paulgir <paulgir@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, 15 Sep 2015 10:39:40 +1200, David Kirk <davidrkirk@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I've upgraded my MythTV box. It is a backend/frontend with an HVR2200
>>> tuner card and nVidia GT220 graphics card. I have an HDMI
>>> in turn has an HDMI connection to my TV.
>>>
>>> It was running Mythbuntu 12.04. I have done a fresh install of
>>> Mythbuntu 14.04. I've restored the old database and mounted the
>>> fine with one exception.
>>>
>>> I turn off my TV and home theatre system when I'm not watching
>>> anything. When I turn them back on, the MythTV frontend doesn't
>>> hardware.
>>>
>>> I can press Ctl-Alt-F1 and I can see the login prompt, but when I go
>>> back to Ctl-Alt-F7 I still can't see anything.
>>>
>>> The only way I can get the display back is to either reboot or press
>>> Ctl-Alt-Backspace to kill the X server.
>>>
>>> Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix it so when I power on my home
>>> theatre system the frontend is displayed?
>>>

>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> David
>>
>> I can't help with a solution but I might help with a clue.I'm using a
>> GT220 too and if I start Mythtv before the tv is on, I also >>get a
>> black screen that requires a reboot to correct.I believe it is
>> something to do with the GT220 not getting the EIDI info >>from the TV
>> during boot up.
>>
>> Paul
>

> For google assistance that should be EDID.
>
> David, you can download the EDID from your TV and hard code it to an
> xorg.conf file.
> This problem has been dealt with a million times in the Kodi (XBMC)
> forums, but they are hard to search. If I find a definitive >answer I'll
> let you know.

LOL -I googled the term and copied an erroneous post

-Paul
Re: No Display [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Sep 15, 2015 at 12:04 PM Paulgir <paulgir@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 15 Sep 2015 11:24:51 +1200, Nick Rout <nick.rout@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On Tue, Sep 15, 2015 at 11:15 AM, Paulgir <paulgir@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 15 Sep 2015 10:39:40 +1200, David Kirk <davidrkirk@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've upgraded my MythTV box. It is a backend/frontend with an HVR2200
>> tuner card and nVidia GT220 graphics card. I have an HDMI connection from
>> the GT220 to my Marantz home theatre system which in turn has an HDMI
>> connection to my TV.
>>
>> It was running Mythbuntu 12.04. I have done a fresh install of Mythbuntu
>> 14.04. I've restored the old database and mounted the hard drives with my
>> recordings. Everything seems to be running fine with one exception.
>>
>> I turn off my TV and home theatre system when I'm not watching anything.
>> When I turn them back on, the MythTV frontend doesn't display. I never had
>> this problem on the old version with the same hardware.
>>
>> I can press Ctl-Alt-F1 and I can see the login prompt, but when I go back
>> to Ctl-Alt-F7 I still can't see anything.
>>
>> The only way I can get the display back is to either reboot or press
>> Ctl-Alt-Backspace to kill the X server.
>>
>> Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix it so when I power on my home
>> theatre system the frontend is displayed?
>>

>> Thanks
>>
>> David
>>

>> I can't help with a solution but I might help with a clue.I'm using a
>> GT220 too and if I start Mythtv before the tv is on, I also get a black
>> screen that requires a reboot to correct.I believe it is something to do
>> with the GT220 not getting the EIDI info from the TV during boot up.
>>
>> Paul
>>

> For google assistance that should be EDID.
>
> David, you can download the EDID from your TV and hard code it to an
> xorg.conf file.
>
> This problem has been dealt with a million times in the Kodi (XBMC)
> forums, but they are hard to search. If I find a definitive answer I'll let
> you know.
>

> LOL -I googled the term and copied an erroneous post
>
> -Paul
>

> Thanks guys. Your clues led me to this page.
http://kodi.wiki/view/Creating_and_using_edid.bin_via_xorg.conf

I'll give it a go tonight and let you know how I get on.

David
Re: No Display [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 15 Sep 2015 13:04:56 +1200, David Kirk <davidrkirk@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 15, 2015 at 12:04 PM Paulgir <paulgir@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, 15 Sep 2015 11:24:51 +1200, Nick Rout <nick.rout@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> For google assistance that should be EDID.
>>>
>>> David, you can download the EDID from your TV and hard code it to an
>>> xorg.conf file.
>>> This problem has been dealt with a million times in the Kodi (XBMC)
>>> forums, but they are hard to search. If I find a definitive >>>answer
>>> I'll let you know.
>>
>> LOL -I googled the term and copied an erroneous post
>>
>> -Paul
>>>

> Thanks guys. Your clues led me to this page.
> http://kodi.wiki/view/Creating_and_using_edid.bin_via_xorg.conf
>
> I'll give it a go tonight and let you know how I get on.
>

> David
I might give this a go ,too
cheers
Paul
Re: No Display [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 15 Sep 2015 15:35:48 +1200, you wrote:

>On Tue, 15 Sep 2015 13:04:56 +1200, David Kirk <davidrkirk@gmail.com>
>wrote:
>

>> On Tue, Sep 15, 2015 at 12:04 PM Paulgir <paulgir@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> LOL -I googled the term and copied an erroneous post
>>>
>>> -Paul
>>>>

>> Thanks guys. Your clues led me to this page.
>> http://kodi.wiki/view/Creating_and_using_edid.bin_via_xorg.conf
>>
>> I'll give it a go tonight and let you know how I get on.
>>

>> David
>I might give this a go ,too
>cheers
>Paul

I have a recollection of there being another solution, something about
killing a task and preventing it from starting so that event of the
HDMI going away was not monitored. That was on the mythtv-users
mailing list. Sorry I have only a vague recollection of this, as I am
not affected by the problem and did not follow the thread.

Re: No Display [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Sep 15, 2015 at 5:34 PM Stephen Worthington <
stephen_agent@jsw.gen.nz> wrote:

> On Tue, 15 Sep 2015 15:35:48 +1200, you wrote:
>
> >On Tue, 15 Sep 2015 13:04:56 +1200, David Kirk <davidrkirk@gmail.com>
> >wrote:

> >> Thanks guys. Your clues led me to this page.
> >> http://kodi.wiki/view/Creating_and_using_edid.bin_via_xorg.conf
> >>
> >> I'll give it a go tonight and let you know how I get on.
> >>

> >> David
> >I might give this a go ,too
> >cheers
> >Paul
>
> I have a recollection of there being another solution, something about
> killing a task and preventing it from starting so that event of the
> HDMI going away was not monitored. That was on the mythtv-users
> mailing list. Sorry I have only a vague recollection of this, as I am
> not affected by the problem and did not follow the thread.

I followed those instructions yesterday and it has fixed my problem. Step
4 didn't work for me, but looking at the xlog.txt file I found my Marantz
home theatre system on DFP-1.

Thanks

David
Re: No Display [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 16 Sep 2015 14:15:09 +1200, David Kirk <davidrkirk@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 15, 2015 at 5:34 PM Stephen Worthington
> <stephen_agent@jsw.gen.nz> wrote:
>> On Tue, 15 Sep 2015 15:35:48 +1200, you wrote:

>>> I might give this a go ,too
>>> cheers
>>> Paul
>>
>> I have a recollection of there being another solution, something about
>> killing a task and preventing it from starting so that event of the
>> HDMI going away was not monitored. That was on the mythtv-users
>> mailing list. Sorry I have only a vague recollection of this, as I am
>> not affected by the problem and did not follow the thread.
>
> I followed those instructions yesterday and it has fixed my problem.
> Step 4 didn't work for me, but looking at the xlog.txt file I >found my
> Marantz home theatre system on DFP-1.
>

> Thanks
>
> David
>
>Were there any changes you needed to make to the commands posted on the
> Kodi page to make them work for Mythtv?
-Paul
Re: No Display [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Sep 17, 2015 at 7:11 AM Paulgir <paulgir@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 16 Sep 2015 14:15:09 +1200, David Kirk <davidrkirk@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> On Tue, Sep 15, 2015 at 5:34 PM Stephen Worthington <
> stephen_agent@jsw.gen.nz> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 15 Sep 2015 15:35:48 +1200, you wrote:

>> davidrkirk@gmail.com>

>> go

>> press

>> >I might give this a go ,too
>> >cheers
>> >Paul
>>
>> I have a recollection of there being another solution, something about
>> killing a task and preventing it from starting so that event of the
>> HDMI going away was not monitored. That was on the mythtv-users
>> mailing list. Sorry I have only a vague recollection of this, as I am
>> not affected by the problem and did not follow the thread.
>>

> I followed those instructions yesterday and it has fixed my problem. Step
> 4 didn't work for me, but looking at the xlog.txt file I found my Marantz
> home theatre system on DFP-1.
>

> Thanks
>
> David
>

> Were there any changes you needed to make to the commands posted on the
> Kodi page to make them work for Mythtv?
>
> -Paul

Hi Paul,

There were two things I had to do differently.

To kill my X session I did

ps aux | grep xdg

Then I killed the xdg process.

Step 4 says to find the string "ConnectedMonitor" in xlog.txt. I couldn't
find that in my xlog.txt.

A manual look at that file found this line.

(--) NVIDIA(0): MARANTZ JAPAN, INC. marantz-AVR (DFP-1) (boot,
connected)

I took note of that when I updated my xorg.conf.

Option "ConnectedMonitor" "DFP-1"
Option "CustomEDID" "DFP-1:/etc/X11/edid.bin"
Option "IgnoreEDID" "false"
Option "UseEDID" "true"

David
Re: No Display [ In reply to ]

> To kill my X session I did
>
> ps aux | grep xdg
>
> Then I killed the xdg process.

You may like to look at the pgrep and pkill utilities if you need to script it.

--
Jonathan

Re: No Display [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 17 Sep 2015 11:16:13 +1200, David Kirk <davidrkirk@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 17, 2015 at 7:11 AM Paulgir <paulgir@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, 16 Sep 2015 14:15:09 +1200, David Kirk <davidrkirk@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> I followed those instructions yesterday and it has fixed my problem.
>>> Step 4 didn't work for me, but looking at the xlog.txt file >>>I found
>>> my Marantz home theatre system on DFP-1.
>>>

>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> David
>>>
>>>Were there any changes you needed to make to the commands posted on
>>> the Kodi page to make them work for Mythtv?
>> -Paul
>
> Hi Paul,
>
> There were two things I had to do differently.
>
> To kill my X session I did
>
> ps aux | grep xdg
>
> Then I killed the xdg process.
>
> Step 4 says to find the string "ConnectedMonitor" in xlog.txt. I
> couldn't find that in my xlog.txt.
>
> A manual look at that file found this line.
>
> (--) NVIDIA(0): MARANTZ JAPAN, INC. marantz-AVR (DFP-1) (boot,
> connected)
>
> I took note of that when I updated my xorg.conf.
>
> Option "ConnectedMonitor" "DFP-1"
> Option "CustomEDID" "DFP-1:/etc/X11/edid.bin"
> Option "IgnoreEDID" "false"
> Option "UseEDID" "true"
>
> David
Thanks for the tips.

Paul
Re: No Display [ In reply to ]
>>>Were there any changes you needed to make to the commands posted on
>>> the Kodi page to make them work for Mythtv?
>> -Paul
>
> Hi Paul,
>
> There were two things I had to do differently.
>
> To kill my X session I did
>
> ps aux | grep xdg
>
> Then I killed the xdg process.
>
> Step 4 says to find the string "ConnectedMonitor" in xlog.txt. I
> couldn't find that in my xlog.txt.
>
> A manual look at that file found this line.
>
> (--) NVIDIA(0): MARANTZ JAPAN, INC. marantz-AVR (DFP-1) (boot,
> connected)
>
> I took note of that when I updated my xorg.conf.
>
> Option "ConnectedMonitor" "DFP-1"
> Option "CustomEDID" "DFP-1:/etc/X11/edid.bin"
> Option "IgnoreEDID" "false"
> Option "UseEDID" "true"
>
> David

I tried to kill the X session using the following command; Kill (the
process number) and immediately I get a login box and can't access a
terminal for other commands.
What command did you use to kill X?

Paul
Re: No Display [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Sep 18, 2015 at 2:37 PM Paulgir <paulgir@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Were there any changes you needed to make to the commands posted on the
>> Kodi page to make them work for Mythtv?
>>
>> -Paul
>>

> Hi Paul,
>
> There were two things I had to do differently.
>
> To kill my X session I did
>
> ps aux | grep xdg
>
> Then I killed the xdg process.
>
> Step 4 says to find the string "ConnectedMonitor" in xlog.txt. I couldn't
> find that in my xlog.txt.
>
> A manual look at that file found this line.
>
> (--) NVIDIA(0): MARANTZ JAPAN, INC. marantz-AVR (DFP-1) (boot,
> connected)
>
> I took note of that when I updated my xorg.conf.
>
> Option "ConnectedMonitor" "DFP-1"
> Option "CustomEDID" "DFP-1:/etc/X11/edid.bin"
> Option "IgnoreEDID" "false"
> Option "UseEDID" "true"
>
> David
>

> I tried to kill the X session using the following command; Kill (the
> process number) and immediately I get a login box and can't access a
> terminal for other commands.
> What command did you use to kill X?
>
> Paul

Hi Paul,

I've just had another go at killing X. I had to kill this process first.

/bin/sh /etc/xdg/xfce4/xinitrc -- /etc/X11/xinit xserverrc

Then X restarted and left me at a login prompt. Then I killed this process

/usr/bin/X -core :0 -seat seat0 -auth /var/run/lightdm/root/:0 -nolisten
tcp vt7 -novtswitch

After that you should be able to continue with the rest of the instructions.

David
Re: No Display [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 18 Sep 2015 06:02:43 +0000, you wrote:

>On Fri, Sep 18, 2015 at 2:37 PM Paulgir <paulgir@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>> Were there any changes you needed to make to the commands posted on the
>>> Kodi page to make them work for Mythtv?
>>>
>>> -Paul
>>>

>> Hi Paul,
>>
>> There were two things I had to do differently.
>>
>> To kill my X session I did
>>
>> ps aux | grep xdg
>>
>> Then I killed the xdg process.
>>
>> Step 4 says to find the string "ConnectedMonitor" in xlog.txt. I couldn't
>> find that in my xlog.txt.
>>
>> A manual look at that file found this line.
>>
>> (--) NVIDIA(0): MARANTZ JAPAN, INC. marantz-AVR (DFP-1) (boot,
>> connected)
>>
>> I took note of that when I updated my xorg.conf.
>>
>> Option "ConnectedMonitor" "DFP-1"
>> Option "CustomEDID" "DFP-1:/etc/X11/edid.bin"
>> Option "IgnoreEDID" "false"
>> Option "UseEDID" "true"
>>
>> David
>>

>> I tried to kill the X session using the following command; Kill (the
>> process number) and immediately I get a login box and can't access a
>> terminal for other commands.
>> What command did you use to kill X?
>>
>> Paul
>>

>Hi Paul,
>
>I've just had another go at killing X. I had to kill this process first.
>
>/bin/sh /etc/xdg/xfce4/xinitrc -- /etc/X11/xinit xserverrc
>
>Then X restarted and left me at a login prompt. Then I killed this process
>
>/usr/bin/X -core :0 -seat seat0 -auth /var/run/lightdm/root/:0 -nolisten
>tcp vt7 -novtswitch
>
>After that you should be able to continue with the rest of the instructions.
>

>David

Normally, to kill X you stop the display manager. In Mythbuntu, that
is:

stop lightdm

Re: No Display [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 18 Sep 2015 21:10:55 +1200, Stephen Worthington
<stephen_agent@jsw.gen.nz> wrote:

>>> Hi Paul,
>>>
>>> There were two things I had to do differently.
>>>
>>> To kill my X session I did
>>>
>>> ps aux | grep xdg
>>>
>>> Then I killed the xdg process.
>>>
>>> Step 4 says to find the string "ConnectedMonitor" in xlog.txt. I
>>> couldn't
>>> find that in my xlog.txt.
>>>
>>> A manual look at that file found this line.
>>>
>>> (--) NVIDIA(0): MARANTZ JAPAN, INC. marantz-AVR (DFP-1) (boot,
>>> connected)
>>>
>>> I took note of that when I updated my xorg.conf.
>>>
>>> Option "ConnectedMonitor" "DFP-1"
>>> Option "CustomEDID" "DFP-1:/etc/X11/edid.bin"
>>> Option "IgnoreEDID" "false"
>>> Option "UseEDID" "true"
>>>
>>> David
>>>

>>> I tried to kill the X session using the following command; Kill (the
>>> process number) and immediately I get a login box and can't access a
>>> terminal for other commands.
>>> What command did you use to kill X?
>>>
>>> Paul
>>>

>> Hi Paul,
>>
>> I've just had another go at killing X. I had to kill this process
>> first.
>>
>> /bin/sh /etc/xdg/xfce4/xinitrc -- /etc/X11/xinit xserverrc
>>
>> Then X restarted and left me at a login prompt. Then I killed this
>> process
>>
>> /usr/bin/X -core :0 -seat seat0 -auth /var/run/lightdm/root/:0 -nolisten
>> tcp vt7 -novtswitch
>>
>> After that you should be able to continue with the rest of the
>> instructions.
>>

>> David
>
> Normally, to kill X you stop the display manager. In Mythbuntu, that
> is:
>
> stop lightdm

That worked fine.I used 'stop lightdm' to kill X and switched to TTY with
Ctrl-Alt-F1 and proceeded from there.

Thanks Guys

-Paul

Re: No Display [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Sep 18, 2015 at 2:37 PM, Paulgir <paulgir@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Were there any changes you needed to make to the commands posted on the
>> Kodi page to make them work for Mythtv?
>>
>> -Paul
>>

> Hi Paul,
>
> There were two things I had to do differently.
>
> To kill my X session I did
>
> ps aux | grep xdg
>
> Then I killed the xdg process.
>
> Step 4 says to find the string "ConnectedMonitor" in xlog.txt. I couldn't
> find that in my xlog.txt.
>
> A manual look at that file found this line.
>
> (--) NVIDIA(0): MARANTZ JAPAN, INC. marantz-AVR (DFP-1) (boot,
> connected)
>
> I took note of that when I updated my xorg.conf.
>
> Option "ConnectedMonitor" "DFP-1"
> Option "CustomEDID" "DFP-1:/etc/X11/edid.bin"
> Option "IgnoreEDID" "false"
> Option "UseEDID" "true"
>
> David
>

> I tried to kill the X session using the following command; Kill (the
> process number) and immediately I get a login box and can't access a
> terminal for other commands.
> What command did you use to kill X?
>
> Paul

You need to kill whatever service starts X, because otherwise when you kill
X that service restarts it.

To find out try

pstree |grep X

Mine returns (on this laptop, not mythbuntu)

nick@envy ~ $ pstree|grep X
|-mdm---mdm-+-Xorg---4*[{Xorg}]

therefore mdm is the service that starts X. so

sudo service stop mdm

should work.

Re: No Display [ In reply to ]