Mailing List Archive

Reconsiderations for a remote control?
I see there has been no traffic on this list with "remote" in the
subject since 2012.

I would like to take the next step and get a remote to control Myth.

Ideally it would be a control where I can programme my T.V.'s volume and
power settings in to, but that may be too much to ask.

What are people's experiences?

Currently I am using a USB keyboard, which is not ideal.

Why is the legal status of chardonnay different to that of cannabis?
worik.stanton@gmail.com 021-1680650, (03) 4821804
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
I voted for love

Re: Reconsiderations for a remote control? [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Mar 9, 2015 at 5:40 PM, worik <worik.stanton@gmail.com> wrote:

> I see there has been no traffic on this list with "remote" in the
> subject since 2012.
>
> I would like to take the next step and get a remote to control Myth.
>
> Ideally it would be a control where I can programme my T.V.'s volume and
> power settings in to, but that may be too much to ask.
>
> What are people's experiences?
>
> Currently I am using a USB keyboard, which is not ideal.

> Why is the legal status of chardonnay different to that of cannabis?
> worik.stanton@gmail.com 021-1680650, (03) 4821804
> Aotearoa (New Zealand)
> I voted for love

I have one of these remotes. It's a learning remote and is very good. You
can even use it as a wireless keyboard/mouse for surfing.
You will need to pair it with an IR receiver, in my case the silverstone
case on my frontend has an IR receiver.

http://www.dx.com/p/201879

I've had the remote for over a year and only charged it once!

Cheers,
Paul
Re: Reconsiderations for a remote control? [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Mar 9, 2015 at 7:43 PM, Paul Kendall <pkendall64@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 9, 2015 at 5:40 PM, worik <worik.stanton@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I see there has been no traffic on this list with "remote" in the
>> subject since 2012.
>>
>> I would like to take the next step and get a remote to control Myth.
>>
>> Ideally it would be a control where I can programme my T.V.'s volume and
>> power settings in to, but that may be too much to ask.
>>
>> What are people's experiences?
>>
>> Currently I am using a USB keyboard, which is not ideal.

>> --
>> Why is the legal status of chardonnay different to that of cannabis?
>> worik.stanton@gmail.com 021-1680650, (03) 4821804
>> Aotearoa (New Zealand)
>> I voted for love
>>

> I have one of these remotes. It's a learning remote and is very good. You
> can even use it as a wireless keyboard/mouse for surfing.
> You will need to pair it with an IR receiver, in my case the silverstone
> case on my frontend has an IR receiver.
>
> http://www.dx.com/p/201879
>
> I've had the remote for over a year and only charged it once!
>
> Cheers,
> Paul

These are especially good, and very cheap:

http://rtr.ca/sapphire_remote/

Re: Reconsiderations for a remote control? [ In reply to ]
On 09/03/15 17:40, worik wrote:
> Currently I am using a USB keyboard, which is not ideal.
They're a bit oversized, yes. And corded ones restrict your roaming range.

I've used a cordless keyboard on the mediabox since 2005, mostly because
I already had it.

However do note the positives...

* You know where all the keys are already <-- handy
* Wireless ones are available, or even USB extension cables.
* Their size makes them hard to lose
* Most use AA batteries and will give 6-24 months off a set.

So consider Logitech K230, should be $25-$30
http://www.dove.co.nz/products/oem-and-component/keyboards/8030

--
Criggie

http://criggie.org.nz/

Re: Reconsiderations for a remote control? [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 09 Mar 2015 17:40:43 +1300, you wrote:

>I see there has been no traffic on this list with "remote" in the
>subject since 2012.
>
>I would like to take the next step and get a remote to control Myth.
>
>Ideally it would be a control where I can programme my T.V.'s volume and
>power settings in to, but that may be too much to ask.
>
>What are people's experiences?
>
>Currently I am using a USB keyboard, which is not ideal.

What sort of remotes came with your Hauppauge sticks? My HVR-900r2
(USB) and Nova-TD both came with the same good remotes. They would
not be programmable for your TV though, but they have lots of buttons:

http://www.jsw.gen.nz/mythtv/Hauppauge_remote.jpg

Re: Reconsiderations for a remote control? [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Mar 9, 2015 at 5:40 PM, worik <worik.stanton@gmail.com> wrote:
I see there has been no traffic on this list with "remote" in the
subject since 2012.

I would like to take the next step and get a remote to control Myth.

Ideally it would be a control where I can programme my T.V.'s volume and
power settings in to, but that may be too much to ask.

What are people's experiences?

Currently I am using a USB keyboard, which is not ideal.

---

I bought an HDMI CEC adapter from Nice Gear a couple of years ago and use my TV's remote for controlling all day to day MythTV front end usage.

http://nicegear.co.nz/htpc/pulseeight-usb-hdmicec-adapter/

http://www.pulse-eight.com/store/products/104-usb-hdmi-cec-adapter.aspx

To help with getting this working I used libcec-daemon and I would recommend not having/leaving an infrared remote configured on the Linux box (I still happen to as I didn't know how good the CEC adapter would be) as this causes a number of setup related problems.

A mini keyboard is great for desktop interaction and the other occasional times it's needed.
This is the same sort as I have, on special it was $15USD including delivery! You can get AAA battery or lithium rechargeable versions, I went for the AAA version.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2-4GHz-Mini-With-Big-Touchpad-3-8X4-8cm-92-Keys-For-STB-PC-Smart-TV/1699252965.html

Regards
Mark

Re: Reconsiderations for a remote control? [ In reply to ]
I recently changed to using an Android 7 inch tablet ($90) with iRemote
(about $60) and Global Cache iTach WiFi to IR (Second hand $100) - Overall
expensive, but it controls everything including my Roku 3, amplifier, TV
all using a simple interface of my design. I have also added a wireless
charging caddy that it sites on, which I purchased from aliexpress (about
$50). My wife is now able, for the first time, able to control everything.

Tim

Re: Reconsiderations for a remote control? [ In reply to ]
It would be cheaper to buy an raspberrypi that has hdmi-cec built in and
use it as a frontend....

On 10 March 2015 at 09:13, Mark Kendall <markk@kc.net.nz> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 9, 2015 at 5:40 PM, worik <worik.stanton@gmail.com> wrote:
> I see there has been no traffic on this list with "remote" in the
> subject since 2012.
>
> I would like to take the next step and get a remote to control Myth.
>
> Ideally it would be a control where I can programme my T.V.'s volume and
> power settings in to, but that may be too much to ask.
>
> What are people's experiences?
>
> Currently I am using a USB keyboard, which is not ideal.

> ---
>
> I bought an HDMI CEC adapter from Nice Gear a couple of years ago and use
> my TV's remote for controlling all day to day MythTV front end usage.
>
> http://nicegear.co.nz/htpc/pulseeight-usb-hdmicec-adapter/
>
> http://www.pulse-eight.com/store/products/104-usb-hdmi-cec-adapter.aspx
>
> To help with getting this working I used libcec-daemon and I would
> recommend not having/leaving an infrared remote configured on the Linux box
> (I still happen to as I didn't know how good the CEC adapter would be) as
> this causes a number of setup related problems.
>
> A mini keyboard is great for desktop interaction and the other occasional
> times it's needed.
> This is the same sort as I have, on special it was $15USD including
> delivery! You can get AAA battery or lithium rechargeable versions, I went
> for the AAA version.
>

> http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2-4GHz-Mini-With-Big-Touchpad-3-8X4-8cm-92-Keys-For-STB-PC-Smart-TV/1699252965.html
>
> Regards
> Mark

"Weekends don't count unless you spend them doing something completely
pointless. " - Calvin
Re: Reconsiderations for a remote control? [ In reply to ]
I just use a Microsoft media center usb ir receiver and s Logitech harmony remote which controls Mythtv along with all the other ir gadgets.

Re: Reconsiderations for a remote control? [ In reply to ]
How about the Android App?

On 2015-03-10 17:49, Jason Taylor wrote:

> It would be cheaper to buy an raspberrypi that has hdmi-cec built in and use it as a frontend....
>
> On 10 March 2015 at 09:13, Mark Kendall <markk@kc.net.nz> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Mar 9, 2015 at 5:40 PM, worik <worik.stanton@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I see there has been no traffic on this list with "remote" in the
>> subject since 2012.
>>
>> I would like to take the next step and get a remote to control Myth.
>>
>> Ideally it would be a control where I can programme my T.V.'s volume and
>> power settings in to, but that may be too much to ask.
>>
>> What are people's experiences?
>>
>> Currently I am using a USB keyboard, which is not ideal.

>> ---
>>
>> I bought an HDMI CEC adapter from Nice Gear a couple of years ago and use my TV's remote for controlling all day to day MythTV front end usage.
>>
>> http://nicegear.co.nz/htpc/pulseeight-usb-hdmicec-adapter/ [1]
>>
>> http://www.pulse-eight.com/store/products/104-usb-hdmi-cec-adapter.aspx [2]
>>
>> To help with getting this working I used libcec-daemon and I would recommend not having/leaving an infrared remote configured on the Linux box (I still happen to as I didn't know how good the CEC adapter would be) as this causes a number of setup related problems.
>>
>> A mini keyboard is great for desktop interaction and the other occasional times it's needed.
>> This is the same sort as I have, on special it was $15USD including delivery! You can get AAA battery or lithium rechargeable versions, I went for the AAA version.
>>
>> http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2-4GHz-Mini-With-Big-Touchpad-3-8X4-8cm-92-Keys-For-STB-PC-Smart-TV/1699252965.html [3]
>>
>> Regards
>> Mark

> "Weekends don't count unless you spend them doing something completely pointless. " - Calvin

Links:
------
[1] http://nicegear.co.nz/htpc/pulseeight-usb-hdmicec-adapter/
[2]
http://www.pulse-eight.com/store/products/104-usb-hdmi-cec-adapter.aspx
[3]
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2-4GHz-Mini-With-Big-Touchpad-3-8X4-8cm-92-Keys-For-STB-PC-Smart-TV/1699252965.html
[5] http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/mythtvnz/
Re: Reconsiderations for a remote control? [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Mar 10, 2015 at 6:09 PM, Andy Wonder <andy@zenmail.co.nz> wrote:

> How about the Android App?

No tactile
Phone needs to be woken up when you want to pause etc.