Mailing List Archive

High quality cables
Hi all,

Firstly, I found a post in my drafts folder about Kodi - I've given it a go
running from a usb stick and it is very cool. Thanks for suggesting it whoever
it was all that time ago. I am sticking with Myth for my front end - I like
Kodi's Youtube browser but - surprising for a Linux user - find it does not
give me enough control over recording schedules.

Second, I am not a great believer in spending lots of money on high quality
cables - and I don't think wifi and emf signals are gong to kill me. Just ruin
my spelling.

But. I am moving my Mythbackend machine and my Silicon Dust HD Tuner to
another room. I was using an approx 10m cable to connect the Tuner to the
arial wall socket. I am now trying to run the same cable through the roof
space to the SD Tuner box. But when I do this, I am getting low signal
strengths and cannot lock onto some channels.

I have tried running it as far from electrical cables as I can - without much
(if any) improvement.

If I run a network cable to the AD Tuner and use the short antenna cable that
came with the Silicon Dust tuner, it is fine.

I also notice the Silicon Dust cable is fat, the antenna cables in the roof
space and the 10m cable are not as fat as this, but fatter than some other
antenna patch cables I have lying around.

So - would the electrical cabling affect the antenna cable? Is the stuff used to
wire up the house of different quality to the stuff used to make the patch
cables? And is there any terminology I need to use when trying to find good
quality antenna cable? The stuff I have seen does not look all that fat - but
as I am always telling my wife, size isn't everything.

I am just wanting to make sure all this stuff works before I go putting in wall
sockets and feeding network cable to the front end and so forth.

So any help appreciated. At the moment I have cable all over the floor, and
I'll have to do something about it fairly soon.

Cheers

Don

Re: High quality cables [ In reply to ]
I'd just keep the lengths as short as possible. Given the local climate,
I expect the backend will survive just fine in the roofspace.

You will need one of these to get the best out of your system...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/02/09/perfect_your_mp3_listening_pleasure_with_this_bonkers_ethernet_cable/

On Fri, 2015-02-13 at 13:55 +1300, Don Robertson wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Firstly, I found a post in my drafts folder about Kodi - I've given it a go
> running from a usb stick and it is very cool. Thanks for suggesting it whoever
> it was all that time ago. I am sticking with Myth for my front end - I like
> Kodi's Youtube browser but - surprising for a Linux user - find it does not
> give me enough control over recording schedules.
>
> Second, I am not a great believer in spending lots of money on high quality
> cables - and I don't think wifi and emf signals are gong to kill me. Just ruin
> my spelling.
>
> But. I am moving my Mythbackend machine and my Silicon Dust HD Tuner to
> another room. I was using an approx 10m cable to connect the Tuner to the
> arial wall socket. I am now trying to run the same cable through the roof
> space to the SD Tuner box. But when I do this, I am getting low signal
> strengths and cannot lock onto some channels.
>
> I have tried running it as far from electrical cables as I can - without much
> (if any) improvement.
>
> If I run a network cable to the AD Tuner and use the short antenna cable that
> came with the Silicon Dust tuner, it is fine.
>
> I also notice the Silicon Dust cable is fat, the antenna cables in the roof
> space and the 10m cable are not as fat as this, but fatter than some other
> antenna patch cables I have lying around.
>
> So - would the electrical cabling affect the antenna cable? Is the stuff used to
> wire up the house of different quality to the stuff used to make the patch
> cables? And is there any terminology I need to use when trying to find good
> quality antenna cable? The stuff I have seen does not look all that fat - but
> as I am always telling my wife, size isn't everything.
>
> I am just wanting to make sure all this stuff works before I go putting in wall
> sockets and feeding network cable to the front end and so forth.
>
> So any help appreciated. At the moment I have cable all over the floor, and
> I'll have to do something about it fairly soon.
>
> Cheers
>
> Don

Steve Holdoway BSc(Hons) MIITP
http://www.greengecko.co.nz
Linkedin: http://www.linkedin.com/in/steveholdoway
Skype: sholdowa

Re: High quality cables [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 13 Feb 2015 14:16:17 Steve Holdoway wrote:
> I'd just keep the lengths as short as possible. Given the local climate,
> I expect the backend will survive just fine in the roofspace.

I'm only planning to put the cable in the roof space. I'm too paranoid to put
the machines up there in case they burst into flames.

It is weird. Long run of cable to wall socket + 10m cable = good signal

Same 10m cable connected directly to the antenna cable splitter = bad signal.

> You will need one of these to get the best out of your system...

Oh - I've got plenty of *those*. I've got to save on the $1/m antenna cable to
pay for them.

Re: High quality cables [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 13 Feb 2015 13:55:59 +1300, you wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>Firstly, I found a post in my drafts folder about Kodi - I've given it a go
>running from a usb stick and it is very cool. Thanks for suggesting it whoever
>it was all that time ago. I am sticking with Myth for my front end - I like
>Kodi's Youtube browser but - surprising for a Linux user - find it does not
>give me enough control over recording schedules.
>
>Second, I am not a great believer in spending lots of money on high quality
>cables - and I don't think wifi and emf signals are gong to kill me. Just ruin
>my spelling.
>
>But. I am moving my Mythbackend machine and my Silicon Dust HD Tuner to
>another room. I was using an approx 10m cable to connect the Tuner to the
>arial wall socket. I am now trying to run the same cable through the roof
>space to the SD Tuner box. But when I do this, I am getting low signal
>strengths and cannot lock onto some channels.
>
>I have tried running it as far from electrical cables as I can - without much
>(if any) improvement.
>
>If I run a network cable to the AD Tuner and use the short antenna cable that
>came with the Silicon Dust tuner, it is fine.
>
>I also notice the Silicon Dust cable is fat, the antenna cables in the roof
>space and the 10m cable are not as fat as this, but fatter than some other
>antenna patch cables I have lying around.
>
>So - would the electrical cabling affect the antenna cable? Is the stuff used to
>wire up the house of different quality to the stuff used to make the patch
>cables? And is there any terminology I need to use when trying to find good
>quality antenna cable? The stuff I have seen does not look all that fat - but
>as I am always telling my wife, size isn't everything.
>
>I am just wanting to make sure all this stuff works before I go putting in wall
>sockets and feeding network cable to the front end and so forth.
>
>So any help appreciated. At the moment I have cable all over the floor, and
>I'll have to do something about it fairly soon.
>
>Cheers
>
>Don

When it comes to aerial cables, it pays to use the right stuff. The
recommended TV aerial cable is RG6. This is properly shielded, lower
loss, and probably costs a little more but is worth it. It is also a
bit stiff for use in patch cables, so they tend to be lesser quality
in order to be easier to bend. But if you can, also use RG6 for patch
cables. Also it is best to use the screw fitting "F" connectors
wherever possible, as they have much lower loss at each connector.
Only change to a Belling-Lee connector when you get to the end
equipment if that is fitted with a Belling-Lee socket.

Most RG6 cable will have markings on it telling you it is RG6. Other
lesser aerial cable is much less likely to be marked up with what it
is.

See here for a photo of a coil of my RG6 cable:

http://www.jsw.gen.nz/mythtv/RG6_cable.jpg

and here for the markings:

http://www.jsw.gen.nz/mythtv/RG6_cable_markings.jpg

For Ethernet cable, it depends on what Ethernet you are trying to do.
My Ethernet is all gigabit and I made sure that my cables were all
installed as Cat6. There is now a Cat5e cable which is rated for
gigabit also, but it has rather less good specifications, so I still
prefer to use Cat6. And Cat6 is needed for longer runs.

There is now also Cat7 for anyone who is planning on 10 gigabit
Ethernet, but it is pretty expensive. If you are only needing 100
Mbit Ethernet, Cat5 is fine and Cat5e is overkill. But I would
recommend putting in at least Cat5e as it does not cost much more than
Cat5 now and it is very likely that you will want to use gigabit
ethernet at some later time.

As a general rule, if you are putting it in a wall or somewhere like
that, it is better to use good cable, due to the problems of fixing or
replacing it later if problems occur.

However, do not be fooled into buying expensive HDMI cables for
example. If a cable is specified as HDMI, that is a digital signal,
and if it is unable to put out HDMI that matches the HDMI
specification at the other end, it is not actually an HDMI cable and
hence does not match its description and can be taken back for a full
refund under the CGA and FTA. And some of the claims for the super
audio cables are pretty out there - there is no need to pay for cable
that costs $500 per meter just because it claims it is wonderful stuff
when there is good cable that actually works just fine for very
reasonable prices.

Re: High quality cables [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 2015-02-13 at 14:29 +1300, Don Robertson wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Feb 2015 14:16:17 Steve Holdoway wrote:
> > I'd just keep the lengths as short as possible. Given the local climate,
> > I expect the backend will survive just fine in the roofspace.
>
> I'm only planning to put the cable in the roof space. I'm too paranoid to put
> the machines up there in case they burst into flames.
>
> It is weird. Long run of cable to wall socket + 10m cable = good signal
>
> Same 10m cable connected directly to the antenna cable splitter = bad signal.
I'd look at the quality of the new connection.... dirty splitter or bent
core? Should be at least as good signal with a shorter run and less
connections, unless wrapped around a mains cable?

Re: High quality cables [ In reply to ]
Don Robertson wrote, On 13/02/15 13:55:
> Firstly, I found a post in my drafts folder about Kodi - I've given it a go
> running from a usb stick and it is very cool. Thanks for suggesting it whoever
> it was all that time ago. I am sticking with Myth for my front end - I like
> Kodi's Youtube browser but - surprising for a Linux user - find it does not
> give me enough control over recording schedules.
>
> Second, I am not a great believer in spending lots of money on high quality
> cables - and I don't think wifi and emf signals are gong to kill me. Just ruin
> my spelling.
>
> But. I am moving my Mythbackend machine and my Silicon Dust HD Tuner to
> another room. I was using an approx 10m cable to connect the Tuner to the
> arial wall socket. I am now trying to run the same cable through the roof
> space to the SD Tuner box. But when I do this, I am getting low signal
> strengths and cannot lock onto some channels.
>
> I have tried running it as far from electrical cables as I can - without much
> (if any) improvement.
>
> If I run a network cable to the AD Tuner and use the short antenna cable that
> came with the Silicon Dust tuner, it is fine.
>
> I also notice the Silicon Dust cable is fat, the antenna cables in the roof
> space and the 10m cable are not as fat as this, but fatter than some other
> antenna patch cables I have lying around.
>
> So - would the electrical cabling affect the antenna cable? Is the stuff used to
> wire up the house of different quality to the stuff used to make the patch
> cables? And is there any terminology I need to use when trying to find good
> quality antenna cable? The stuff I have seen does not look all that fat - but
> as I am always telling my wife, size isn't everything.
>
> I am just wanting to make sure all this stuff works before I go putting in wall
> sockets and feeding network cable to the front end and so forth.

Digital cables (hdmi, DVI, Ethernet) should all work fine to their
maximum specified length, which is ~100 metres for ethernet.

Analogue cables (speakers, composite video, VGA) have losses in signal
quality, but these are so small that its really irrelevant. Bad
connectors or multiple joints have far more of an effect than the
underlying cable.

Power cables (ac or dc) have power losses that increase with length.

Now your problem...
Radio-frequency cables (aerials) are weird... RF signals don't actually
travel through the wire, instead they "spider" their way down the
outside. And the signals are such low power that length becomes important.

Short answer - short aerial cables work best, use longer ethernet cables
instead.
In theory putting your homerun right inside the roof would best for
signal.
Or get a competent aerial guy to rerun the whole cable from top to
bottom. That way there are no joins, which are what really hurt the signal.

--
Criggie

http://criggie.org.nz/

Re: High quality cables [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Feb 13, 2015 at 2:16 PM, Steve Holdoway <steve@greengecko.co.nz> wrote:
> I'd just keep the lengths as short as possible. Given the local climate,
> I expect the backend will survive just fine in the roofspace.
>
> You will need one of these to get the best out of your system...
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/02/09/perfect_your_mp3_listening_pleasure_with_this_bonkers_ethernet_cable/

Just had a conversation about similar matters yesterday:

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=218052

Re: High quality cables [ In reply to ]
Steve Holdoway wrote, On 13/02/15 15:18:
> Should be at least as good signal with a shorter run and less connections, unless wrapped around a mains cable?
FEWER connections!

Also, consider doing away with aerial patch cables completely. Run one
cable from the aerial to the device, leave a bit of slack and avoid
another junction.

--
Criggie

http://criggie.org.nz/

Re: High quality cables [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 2015-02-13 at 15:48 +1300, Criggie wrote:
> Steve Holdoway wrote, On 13/02/15 15:18:
> > Should be at least as good signal with a shorter run and less connections, unless wrapped around a mains cable?
> FEWER connections!
Well, 0 is less than 1 surely... and I thought I was a pedant lol.

> Also, consider doing away with aerial patch cables completely. Run one
> cable from the aerial to the device, leave a bit of slack and avoid
> another junction.

That is what I suggested, although the OP suggested a splitter was
involved.

Re: High quality cables [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 2015-02-13 at 15:31 +1300, Nick Rout wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 13, 2015 at 2:16 PM, Steve Holdoway <steve@greengecko.co.nz> wrote:
> > I'd just keep the lengths as short as possible. Given the local climate,
> > I expect the backend will survive just fine in the roofspace.
> >
> > You will need one of these to get the best out of your system...
> >
> > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/02/09/perfect_your_mp3_listening_pleasure_with_this_bonkers_ethernet_cable/
>
> Just had a conversation about similar matters yesterday:
>
> http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=218052

So a $1k cable ( just the one ) connecting a cheap and cheerful NAS
through an even cheaper switch to a macbook pro, and it makes a
difference?

I couldn't be bothered to read any but the first page. Maybe these
points were made elsewhere!

Re: High quality cables [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 13 Feb 2015 15:18:41 +1300, Steve Holdoway
<steve@greengecko.co.nz> wrote:

> On Fri, 2015-02-13 at 14:29 +1300, Don Robertson wrote:
>> On Fri, 13 Feb 2015 14:16:17 Steve Holdoway wrote:
>> > I'd just keep the lengths as short as possible. Given the local
>> climate,
>> > I expect the backend will survive just fine in the roofspace.
>>
>> I'm only planning to put the cable in the roof space. I'm too paranoid
>> to put
>> the machines up there in case they burst into flames.
>>
>> It is weird. Long run of cable to wall socket + 10m cable = good signal
>>
>> Same 10m cable connected directly to the antenna cable splitter = bad
>> signal.
> I'd look at the quality of the new connection.... dirty splitter or bent
> core? Should be at least as good signal with a shorter run and less
> connections, unless wrapped around a mains cable?

Coax cables conducting UHF are touchy.Even a crushed section where someone
stepped on the cable can ruin the signal.Quality of the core material and
shielding is very important.

-Paul

Re: High quality cables [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 13 Feb 2015 14:44:02 Stephen Worthington wrote:

> When it comes to aerial cables, it pays to use the right stuff. The
> recommended TV aerial cable is RG6. This is properly shielded, lower
> loss, and probably costs a little more but is worth it. It is also a
> bit stiff for use in patch cables, so they tend to be lesser quality
> in order to be easier to bend. But if you can, also use RG6 for patch
> cables. Also it is best to use the screw fitting "F" connectors
> wherever possible, as they have much lower loss at each connector.
> Only change to a Belling-Lee connector when you get to the end
> equipment if that is fitted with a Belling-Lee socket.

After a bit of thought, I figured there must be something like that going on.
The 10m cable is indeed RG-56.

> Most RG6 cable will have markings on it telling you it is RG6. Other
> lesser aerial cable is much less likely to be marked up with what it
> is.

> For Ethernet cable, it depends on what Ethernet you are trying to do.
> My Ethernet is all gigabit and I made sure that my cables were all
> installed as Cat6. There is now a Cat5e cable which is rated for
> gigabit also, but it has rather less good specifications, so I still
> prefer to use Cat6. And Cat6 is needed for longer runs.

Yes - I was thinking about using Cat6 - for the amount I'll need, it is not
that much more expensive. There shouldn't be any compatibility problems.

> However, do not be fooled into buying expensive HDMI cables for
> example. If a cable is specified as HDMI, that is a digital signal,
> and if it is unable to put out HDMI that matches the HDMI

Well, still on good old DVI :-) One of these days I'll put in a better video
card and go to HDMI - though probably better replace the whole box with a low-
powered HDMI capable gadget.

Thanks for the info

don
Re: High quality cables [ In reply to ]

> Coax cables conducting UHF are touchy.Even a crushed section where someone
> stepped on the cable can ruin the signal.Quality of the core material and
> shielding is very important.
>
> -Paul

Things did not go quite as planned. I wound up having to put some holes in the
wall pulled out the old aerial cable. Note - this is the one that was going to
the TV, not to the silicon dust tuner, and was working fine.

Anyway - about half way down the wall, the aerial cable was cut in half, and
the shielding from each half was twisted together on one side, and the core
twisted together on the other side of the cable.

So on the plus side, I've now got Cat6 cabling into the office and to the living
room, a new phone line into the office, and a lot of new aerial cable installed.
On the down side, I have to finish fixing the holes and paint the office.

I'm also wondering if I keep using the term 'professional quality' but don't
know what it means. Every time I do something around here, I see what a crappy
job the 'professionals' did the first time. For example, years ago I noticed
the TV aerial was waving around in the slightest wind. I had a look and it was
held on by a couple of screws going into a sheet of galvanized iron. Another
thing that is really annoying is the roof goes so far into the guttering that
you can't clean it out without cutting your hands on the roof. One section of
guttering is drained by a 25 mm pipe that runs into another down-pipe.

Don't get me started.

Grumpy from Halswell

Re: High quality cables [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 2015-02-13 at 14:29 +1300, Don Robertson wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Feb 2015 14:16:17 Steve Holdoway wrote:
> > I'd just keep the lengths as short as possible. Given the local climate,
> > I expect the backend will survive just fine in the roofspace.
>
> I'm only planning to put the cable in the roof space. I'm too paranoid to put
> the machines up there in case they burst into flames.
>
> It is weird. Long run of cable to wall socket + 10m cable = good signal
>
> Same 10m cable connected directly to the antenna cable splitter = bad signal.

Hey Don,

It is quite possible that by shortening your cable run that now your
signal string is too strong. The longer cable run to the wall socket
will be attenuating the signal a bit... Perhaps try a coil of cable up
in the roof if you have some lying around?

Cheers,
Andrew

--
Andrew Ruthven, Wellington, New Zealand
andrew@etc.gen.nz | linux.conf.au 2015

Re: High quality cables [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 2015-02-13 at 14:29 +1300, Don Robertson wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Feb 2015 14:16:17 Steve Holdoway wrote:
> > I'd just keep the lengths as short as possible. Given the local climate,
> > I expect the backend will survive just fine in the roofspace.
>
> I'm only planning to put the cable in the roof space. I'm too paranoid to put
> the machines up there in case they burst into flames.
>
> It is weird. Long run of cable to wall socket + 10m cable = good signal
>
> Same 10m cable connected directly to the antenna cable splitter = bad signal.

Hey Don,

It is quite possible that by shortening your cable run that now your
signal string is too strong. The longer cable run to the wall socket
will be attenuating the signal a bit... Perhaps try a coil of cable up
in the roof if you have some lying around?

Ah, also given your comment about the old cable being cut, it sounds
even more likely that the signal strength was too strong!

Cheers,
Andrew

Re: High quality cables [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Feb 16, 2015 at 9:58 PM, Andrew Ruthven <andrew@etc.gen.nz> wrote:

> On Fri, 2015-02-13 at 14:29 +1300, Don Robertson wrote:
> > On Fri, 13 Feb 2015 14:16:17 Steve Holdoway wrote:
> > > I'd just keep the lengths as short as possible. Given the local
> climate,
> > > I expect the backend will survive just fine in the roofspace.
> >
> > I'm only planning to put the cable in the roof space. I'm too paranoid
> to put
> > the machines up there in case they burst into flames.
> >
> > It is weird. Long run of cable to wall socket + 10m cable = good signal
> >
> > Same 10m cable connected directly to the antenna cable splitter = bad
> signal.
>
> Hey Don,
>
> It is quite possible that by shortening your cable run that now your
> signal string is too strong. The longer cable run to the wall socket
> will be attenuating the signal a bit... Perhaps try a coil of cable up
> in the roof if you have some lying around?
>
> Ah, also given your comment about the old cable being cut, it sounds
> even more likely that the signal strength was too strong!
>
> Cheers,
> Andrew
>

> Yes, I had this exact problem with my setup. I have 2 cards a hvr2200 and
a hvr4000.
The 2200 was recording perfectly. The 4000 was having artifacts (mostly on
one channel).
I called the aerial guy and he put his meter on and said the signal was
very high, we popped
a 12db attenuator on the line and all has been god for the past couple of
years.

You can get these from Jaycar, they even have a variable attenuator that's
not too expensive as well.

Cheers,
Paul
Re: High quality cables [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 16 Feb 2015 10:32:42 +1300, Don Robertson <don@robertson.net.nz>
wrote:

> I'm also wondering if I keep using the term 'professional quality' but
> don't
> know what it means. Every time I do something around here, I see what a
> crappy
> job the 'professionals' did the first time. For example, years ago I
> noticed
> the TV aerial was waving around in the slightest wind. I had a look and
> it was
> held on by a couple of screws going into a sheet of galvanized iron.
> Another
> thing that is really annoying is the roof goes so far into the guttering
> that
> you can't clean it out without cutting your hands on the roof. One
> section of
> guttering is drained by a 25 mm pipe that runs into another down-pipe.
>
> Don't get me started.
>
> Grumpy from Halswell

Unfortunately the "Professionals" you write about were likely to be the
Electricians who wired the house.
They never had much knowledge of the intricacies of RF signals and coax
cabling.

-Paul

Re: High quality cables [ In reply to ]
This was a different cable to the one I was having problems with :-) that one worked fine.  It was a patch cable I was using as a test to make sure I could fit evening into the available space that didn't work. The rg6 works fine.

Oh- and there is plenty cable coiled in the roof space.  All cable only comes in two lengths - far too long and just slightly too short.

Don Robertson

Re: High quality cables [ In reply to ]