But when I am playing the shows (including the ones that have commercials marked) I can still see the commercials in the recording.

A few details about my configuration:
BE: MythTV 0.27.4 (I believe the latest stable one released) running on Ubuntu 14.04.
FE: Both MythTV and XBMC running on Ubuntu 14.04.

Any help will be highly appreciated.
Please let me know what details of MythTV configuration you would like me to provide as well.

Best Regards,
Liviu
Re: Commercials flagging issues [ In reply to ]
On 14.01.2015 14:34, Liviu Dunaev wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> I am new to MythTV and to be honest I am still to decide if I am
> going to stick with it.
> At the moment I am playing with a MythTV backend connected to one
> HDHomerun.
> I have a couple of issues, but let me start with the commercials
> flagging one.
>
> I been doing some recording of different TV programs and I can’t see
> the commercials being flagged/removed.
> Maybe I am doing something wrong.
> I can see on the MythWeb on the job Queue that there was a job run
> successful for Flag Commercials.
> For some of the shows there is 0 commercials found, for some I get 1
> or 2.
> But when I am playing the shows (including the ones that have
> commercials marked) I can still see the commercials in the recording.
>
> A few details about my configuration:
> BE: MythTV 0.27.4 (I believe the latest stable one released) running
> on Ubuntu 14.04.
> FE: Both MythTV and XBMC running on Ubuntu 14.04.
>
> Any help will be highly appreciated.
> Please let me know what details of MythTV configuration you would
> like me to provide as well.
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Liviu

Hi Liviu,

For NZ set commercial flagging to use all detection methods, it does
work, but can be a bit random as the TV stations are getting tricky over
how they jump from program content to commercials and I guess that's in
an effort to stop the commercial detection from working or people simply
getting up at the end of a program and making a cup of tea!!

In the UK it was historically somewhat easier, as the main commercial
channel there (ITV) used to have regional companies and they had to have
a synchronisation blank/pause before and after commerical breaks to
ensure the regions all started and stopped commericals at the same time.
It's a while since I've been in the UK so may have changed as the region
system disappeared some years ago.

I wish someone would pass a law forcing TV stations to properly flag
commercials rather than the horrible mish mash of merging end titles and
jumping straight from one program into the next. I guess that's the
"price" we pay for "free" TV.

Regards

Chris

Re: Commercials flagging issues [ In reply to ]
Thank you for the fast response.
I just wanted to make sure that I’m not missing anything.
I do see that on some stations the flagging kind of works, I guess its better than not at all.

Thanks again.
Liviu

Re: Commercials flagging issues [ In reply to ]
on Wednesday, 14 January 2015 2:34 p.m. Liviu Dunaev wrote:
>Hi Everyone,
>
>I am new to MythTV and to be honest I am still to decide if I am going to stick with it.
>At the moment I am playing with a MythTV backend connected to one HDHomerun.
>I have a couple of issues, but let me start with the commercials flagging one.
>
>A few details about my configuration:
>BE: MythTV 0.27.4 (I believe the latest stable one released) running on Ubuntu 14.04.
>FE: Both MythTV and XBMC running on Ubuntu 14.04.
>
>Best Regards,
>Liviu

Hi Liviu,

With commercials that are not detected or handled I just manually skip them using the arrow keys with right being forward 30 seconds and left being back 5-10 seconds. But I have found with MythTV frountend this works best with a faster machine and a good performing and supported graphics card like a dedicated NVIDIA GPU with VDPAU. With a slower system it will freeze and get lots of weird graphics and sound corruption when skipping which means you have to wait sometimes between skips to know when the program starts again. this just making skipping much more annoying in general. With a good setup it works really well and skips forward really smoothly meaning you can skip a 4 minute commercial break in less than a second. Many Ad breaks are the same length so you quickly learn how many times to hit the skip forward button. The input device used also makes a big difference as some IR based systems have a lot of lag and may not recognize multiple fast pushes but wireless keyboard type devices are fast and reliable. I've found XBMC/Kodi frountend to not handle the skipping as well MythTV but I've only tried it on different hardware so it may work ok on the right system. The speed of the BE and the FE connection to the BE (if they are on separate machines) may have an effect on skipping performance as well because it has to buffer in the new content.

Michael
Re: Commercials flagging issues [ In reply to ]
On 14/01/2015, at 5:01 PM, Michael West <michael@iposs.co.nz> wrote:

> on Wednesday, 14 January 2015 2:34 p.m. Liviu Dunaev wrote:
>> Hi Everyone,
>>
>> I am new to MythTV and to be honest I am still to decide if I am going to stick with it.
>> At the moment I am playing with a MythTV backend connected to one HDHomerun.
>> I have a couple of issues, but let me start with the commercials flagging one.
>>
>> A few details about my configuration:
>> BE: MythTV 0.27.4 (I believe the latest stable one released) running on Ubuntu 14.04.
>> FE: Both MythTV and XBMC running on Ubuntu 14.04.
>>
>> Best Regards,
>> Liviu
>
> Hi Liviu,
>
> With commercials that are not detected or handled I just manually skip them using the arrow keys with right being forward 30 seconds and left being back 5-10 seconds. But I have found with MythTV frountend this works best with a faster machine and a good performing and supported graphics card like a dedicated NVIDIA GPU with VDPAU. With a slower system it will freeze and get lots of weird graphics and sound corruption when skipping which means you have to wait sometimes between skips to know when the program starts again. this just making skipping much more annoying in general. With a good setup it works really well and skips forward really smoothly meaning you can skip a 4 minute commercial break in less than a second. Many Ad breaks are the same length so you quickly learn how many times to hit the skip forward button. The input device used also makes a big difference as some IR based systems have a lot of lag and may not recognize multiple fast pushes but wireless keyboard type devices are fast and reliable. I've found XBMC/Kodi frountend to not handle the skipping as well MythTV but I've only tried it on different hardware so it may work ok on the right system. The speed of the BE and the FE connection to the BE (if they are on separate machines) may have an effect on skipping performance as well because it has to buffer in the new content.
>
> Michael
> _____________________________

I used to do this until I learned about typing a number followed by right arrow. Skips the number of minutes entered, e.g., 4 followed by right arrow to skip forward 4 minutes. Then fine tune with left or right arrow as described above.
Re: Commercials flagging issues [ In reply to ]
Assuming you're recording dvb-t or dvb-s, I recommend trying the
commercial detection routines from here:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Commercial_detection_with_silences - I'm
not sure how well it would work with an originally analogue source.

I get better results and it's much much faster. The defaults work
fairly well, better on 3 and 4 and typically better on prime time
shows. It can be configured to suit individual channels and programs
(e.g. it doesn't work very well with the news) but I've not yet
bothered. I know one of the devs was working on implementing something
similar in MythTV but I've heard nothing for nearly a year.

Note I'm still on MythTV 0.25.2 so newer versions may have better out
of the box commercial detection (quality dropped sometime after 0.24
for me). One day I'll upgrade and might then compare the default
detection versus this method.

Cheers,
Adam.

Re: Commercials flagging issues [ In reply to ]

Re: Commercials flagging issues [ In reply to ]
Thank you guys for all the replies.
Got some valuable information.
Now after some usage I can see that if I play the recording and the adds were market it will do the jump.
If I for some reason I ff, then it will play the adds as well.
Here laid my confusion, as I thought the adds are literally cut from the recording, where they are just marked.

Thanks again guys for all your help.

Regards,

Liviu

Re: Commercials flagging issues [ In reply to ]
On 15/01/15 11:33, Liviu Dunaev wrote:
> Thank you guys for all the replies.
> Got some valuable information.
> Now after some usage I can see that if I play the recording and the adds were market it will do the jump.
> If I for some reason I ff, then it will play the adds as well.
> Here laid my confusion, as I thought the adds are literally cut from the recording, where they are just marked.

There is a front end setting that tells you about commercials and
pressing 'z' jumps forward to the end. So you get told if it has
successfully detected ads.

I am sorry that I am away from home so cannot find the setting, but some
one here probably can say.

--
Why is the legal status of chardonnay different to that of cannabis?
worik.stanton@gmail.com 021-1680650, (03) 4821804

Re: Commercials flagging issues [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Jan 15, 2015 at 11:33 AM, Liviu Dunaev <liviu.dunaev@gmail.com>
wrote:

> If I for some reason I ff, then it will play the adds as well.

Here laid my confusion, as I thought the adds are literally cut from the
> recording, where they are just marked.

I think you'll find you'll stop using ff in favour of skip in pretty short
order. I haven't used ff for years... in fact I'm not sure I've even got it
bound to a key.

You can run a transcode job to actually remove the ads from the recording
but given the potential for false positives I think you'd want to have seen
the recording anyway so it's probably not useful for normal viewing.

Cheers,
Steve
Re: Commercials flagging issues [ In reply to ]
> Thank you guys for all the replies.
> Got some valuable information.
> Now after some usage I can see that if I play the recording and the adds
> were market it will do the jump.
> If I for some reason I ff, then it will play the adds as well.
> Here laid my confusion, as I thought the adds are literally cut from the
> recording, where they are just marked.
>
> Thanks again guys for all your help.

Don't think it has been mentioned yet is that you have 3 choices with the
advert marks - ignore, tell you there is an advert or auto skip. I always
use the second as if there is a dark scene it sometimes makes a false
advert so I can see to just let is play rather than skip.

I also limit the time to 5 minutes as 4mins is the average for most
commercial programs (apart from on religious holidays when there are no
real ads) although Sky channels can be very variable (20secs to 5 mins).

The number+forward is useful as is number+info to get to a specific point
in a program - eg. the weather forecast is about 54mins from the start so
you can get to it directly without worrying where you are by using the
<5><4><info> key sequence.

Cheers

--
Robin Gilks