Mailing List Archive

Need some help with new install of mythtv
Hi all,
i've been running mythtv for a long time, i know very little about Linux but I have got by so far by doing very little to the backend. So my backend has been running on a Ubuntu 11.10 desktop, but this is seriously out of date and unsupported.
So I decided to update my system. I have a new SSD drive and I have loaded Ubuntu 14.04LTS and mythtv backend. After a number of problems I have the follwoing working:
I can start the backend manuallyMythfilldatabase seems to workMythfrontend on the same PC is workingMy database restore worked and I can watch all my recording
I have 1 more things to sort out
Make mythbackend start on boot
mythbackend does not start on bootI tried to follow the guide at http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Upstart_mythbackend_Configurationbut my lack of linux knowledge has me stumpedI did:
ln -s /lib/init/upstart-job /etc/init.d/mythtv-backend but firstly I don't understand what this does, is
/lib/init/upstart-job

just a generic script that comes with Ubuntu?

assuming this symbolic link is the correct thing to do should I now do something like
sudo update-rc.d mythtv-backend defaults

in any case I tried running
/etc/init.d/mythtv-backend and/etc/init.d/mythtv-backend start

and

start mythtv-backend

but none of these actually starts the backend

I can manually start the backend by /usr/bin/backend

I do have a /etc/init/mythtv-backend.conf file it is slightly different from that shown in the wiki. It is the one that cam with my install of mythtv.

Another issue - when I run the backend setup and exit it asks if I want to start the backen I select yes and I am asked for my password which I give. but the backend does not start.

Any ideas of where I can go from here would be appreciated.
Re: Need some help with new install of mythtv [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 1 Jan 2015 04:46:07 +0000 (UTC), you wrote:

>Hi all,
>i've been running mythtv for a long time, i know very little about Linux but I have got by so far by doing very little to the backend. So my backend has been running on a Ubuntu 11.10 desktop, but this is seriously out of date and unsupported.
>So I decided to update my system. I have a new SSD drive and I have loaded Ubuntu 14.04LTS and mythtv backend. After a number of problems I have the follwoing working:
>I can start the backend manuallyMythfilldatabase seems to workMythfrontend on the same PC is workingMy database restore worked and I can watch all my recording
>I have 1 more things to sort out
>Make mythbackend start on boot
>mythbackend does not start on bootI tried to follow the guide at http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Upstart_mythbackend_Configurationbut my lack of linux knowledge has me stumpedI did:
>ln -s /lib/init/upstart-job /etc/init.d/mythtv-backend but firstly I don't understand what this does, is
>/lib/init/upstart-job
>
>just a generic script that comes with Ubuntu?
>
>assuming this symbolic link is the correct thing to do should I now do something like
>sudo update-rc.d mythtv-backend defaults
>
>in any case I tried running
>/etc/init.d/mythtv-backend and/etc/init.d/mythtv-backend start
>
>and
>
>start mythtv-backend
>
>but none of these actually starts the backend
>
>I can manually start the backend by /usr/bin/backend
>
>I do have a /etc/init/mythtv-backend.conf file it is slightly different from that shown in the wiki. It is the one that cam with my install of mythtv.
>
>Another issue - when I run the backend setup and exit it asks if I want to start the backen I select yes and I am asked for my password which I give. but the backend does not start.
>
>Any ideas of where I can go from here would be appreciated.

In Ubuntu 14.04, the correct way to start mythbackend is:

sudo start mythtv-backend

(or just "start mythtv-backend" from a root prompt).

Upstart jobs are controlled from files in /etc/init. In this case,
the file you need to look at is:

/etc/init/mythtv-backend

and unless you have made any changes to things, it should
automatically start on boot, as do all the Upstart jobs in /etc/init.
All the setup for MythTV should just work in Mythbuntu 14.04 and it
normally does, unless your networking setup is non-standard (like
mine). So you should take a look at the log file:

/var/log/mythtv/mythbackend.log

and see if there is anything there to tell you why it does not run on
boot or with a "start mythtv-backend" command. Permissions or
networking problems seem the most likely things.

Also, did you edit the /etc/mythtv/config.xml file to put in the
correct database password that matches your restored database? In
your old setup, that may still be in the /etc/config.txt file, but in
later MythTV versions, it has all moved into config.xml.

Re: Need some help with new install of mythtv [ In reply to ]
In Ubuntu 14.04, the correct way to start mythbackend is:

  sudo start mythtv-backend

(or just "start mythtv-backend" from a root prompt).
SV >> just tried sudo start mythtv-backend            terminal replies with:
            mythtv-backend start/running, process 3220
            but if I ps -ae |grep myth i can see that mythbackend is not running            also if I ps -ae there is no preocess 3220

Upstart jobs are controlled from files in /etc/init.  In this case,
the file you need to look at is:

  /etc/init/mythtv-backend
SV>>this file does not exist in my install

and unless you have made any changes to things, it should
automatically start on boot, as do all the Upstart jobs in /etc/init.
All the setup for MythTV should just work in Mythbuntu 14.04 and it
normally does, unless your networking setup is non-standard (like
mine).  So you should take a look at the log file:

  /var/log/mythtv/mythbackend.log
SV>> this is likely the problem
            Jan  2 11:23:12 MythBE mythbackend: mythbackend[3566]: E CoreContext mythdbcon.cpp:216 (OpenDatabase) Unable to connect to database!
            Jan  2 11:23:12 MythBE mythbackend: mythbackend[3566]: E CoreContext mythdbcon.cpp:217 (OpenDatabase) Driver error was [1/1045]:#012QMYSQL: Unable to             connect#012Database error was:#012Access denied for user 'mythtv'@'localhost' (using password: YES)
SV>> when i first installed mythtv I couldn't get qccess to the database so I used the following instructions to reset the mythconverg password.mysql -u root -p
set password for 'mythtv'@'%' = password('mythtv');
set password for 'mythtv'@'localhost' = password('mythtv');
connect mythconverg;
grant all privileges on *.* to 'mythtv'@'%' with grant option;
grant all privileges on *.* to 'mythtv'@'localhost' with grant option;
flush privileges;
exit;

I then changed the password in mythtv backend setup, but I didn't change it in the file /home/mythtv/.mythtv/config.xml.
Now that I have edited /home/mythtv/.mythtv/config.xml the backend is starting on boot.

Re: Need some help with new install of mythtv [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 1 Jan 2015 22:38:22 +0000 (UTC), you wrote:

>In Ubuntu 14.04, the correct way to start mythbackend is:
>
>  sudo start mythtv-backend
>
>(or just "start mythtv-backend" from a root prompt).
>SV >> just tried sudo start mythtv-backend            terminal replies with:
>            mythtv-backend start/running, process 3220
>            but if I ps -ae |grep myth i can see that mythbackend is not running            also if I ps -ae there is no preocess 3220
>
>Upstart jobs are controlled from files in /etc/init.  In this case,
>the file you need to look at is:
>

>  /etc/init/mythtv-backend
>SV>>this file does not exist in my install

Oops, typo. The file is /etc/init/mythtv-backend.conf.