Mailing List Archive

recommendations for front end...
Hi folks, and happy new year!

I've been trying out a cubietruck to display local content, but it's
just not grunty enough ( unless you know better! ) for much HD, which is
a shame as it looked like just what I wanted.

Any suggestions for a better solution? I'm looking at possibly a
Gigabyte BRIX, but not sure what extra I'd need to buy, and whether it
runs linux ( it should! ). I have an older 2.5" 120GB SSD to go in -
will it fit?, but do I need a graphics card as well?

Cheers,

Steve
--
Steve Holdoway BSc(Hons) MIITP
http://www.greengecko.co.nz

Re: recommendations for front end... [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Jan 1, 2015 at 4:42 PM, Steve Holdoway <steve@greengecko.co.nz> wrote:
> Hi folks, and happy new year!
>
> I've been trying out a cubietruck to display local content, but it's
> just not grunty enough ( unless you know better! ) for much HD, which is
> a shame as it looked like just what I wanted.
>
> Any suggestions for a better solution? I'm looking at possibly a
> Gigabyte BRIX, but not sure what extra I'd need to buy, and whether it
> runs linux ( it should! ). I have an older 2.5" 120GB SSD to go in -
> will it fit?, but do I need a graphics card as well?

Are you wanting to run mythfrontend or xbmc with pvr.mythtv or both?

Most modern built in chipsets, ie intel or amd with built in graphics
should do fine.

Personally I like nvidia graphics and ion2 is my chipset of choice,
although they are now out of date.

Budget?

Re: recommendations for front end... [ In reply to ]
> Hi folks, and happy new year!
>
> I've been trying out a cubietruck to display local content, but it's
> just not grunty enough ( unless you know better! ) for much HD, which is
> a shame as it looked like just what I wanted.
>
> Any suggestions for a better solution? I'm looking at possibly a
> Gigabyte BRIX, but not sure what extra I'd need to buy, and whether it
> runs linux ( it should! ). I have an older 2.5" 120GB SSD to go in -
> will it fit?, but do I need a graphics card as well?

I got (from aliexpress) a X-26Y C1037U with 4G RAM and a 32G SSD.

It boots from cold in 7 seconds into Mythbuntu and works fine for all my
content.

Thanks for the recommendation Nick ;)

--
Robin Gilks

Re: recommendations for front end... [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 2015-01-01 at 17:07 +1300, Nick Rout wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 1, 2015 at 4:42 PM, Steve Holdoway <steve@greengecko.co.nz> wrote:
> > Hi folks, and happy new year!
> >
> > I've been trying out a cubietruck to display local content, but it's
> > just not grunty enough ( unless you know better! ) for much HD, which is
> > a shame as it looked like just what I wanted.
> >
> > Any suggestions for a better solution? I'm looking at possibly a
> > Gigabyte BRIX, but not sure what extra I'd need to buy, and whether it
> > runs linux ( it should! ). I have an older 2.5" 120GB SSD to go in -
> > will it fit?, but do I need a graphics card as well?
> >

> Are you wanting to run mythfrontend or xbmc with pvr.mythtv or both?
>
> Most modern built in chipsets, ie intel or amd with built in graphics
> should do fine.
>
> Personally I like nvidia graphics and ion2 is my chipset of choice,
> although they are now out of date.
>
> Budget?

HNY Nick,

probably more likely to be xbmc, but need to plan for both.

budget is minimal, hence the cubietruck trial. Machine will be dedicated
though.

Cheers,

Steve

Re: recommendations for front end... [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Jan 1, 2015 at 6:42 PM, Steve Holdoway <steve@greengecko.co.nz> wrote:
> On Thu, 2015-01-01 at 17:07 +1300, Nick Rout wrote:
>> On Thu, Jan 1, 2015 at 4:42 PM, Steve Holdoway <steve@greengecko.co.nz> wrote:
>> > Hi folks, and happy new year!
>> >
>> > I've been trying out a cubietruck to display local content, but it's
>> > just not grunty enough ( unless you know better! ) for much HD, which is
>> > a shame as it looked like just what I wanted.
>> >
>> > Any suggestions for a better solution? I'm looking at possibly a
>> > Gigabyte BRIX, but not sure what extra I'd need to buy, and whether it
>> > runs linux ( it should! ). I have an older 2.5" 120GB SSD to go in -
>> > will it fit?, but do I need a graphics card as well?
>> >

>> Are you wanting to run mythfrontend or xbmc with pvr.mythtv or both?
>>
>> Most modern built in chipsets, ie intel or amd with built in graphics
>> should do fine.
>>
>> Personally I like nvidia graphics and ion2 is my chipset of choice,
>> although they are now out of date.
>>
>> Budget?
>>
> HNY Nick,
>
> probably more likely to be xbmc, but need to plan for both.
>
> budget is minimal, hence the cubietruck trial. Machine will be dedicated
> though.

Not sure what a cubietruck is!

Re: recommendations for front end... [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Jan 1, 2015 at 6:42 PM, Steve Holdoway <steve@greengecko.co.nz> wrote:
> On Thu, 2015-01-01 at 17:07 +1300, Nick Rout wrote:
>> On Thu, Jan 1, 2015 at 4:42 PM, Steve Holdoway <steve@greengecko.co.nz> wrote:
>> > Hi folks, and happy new year!
>> >
>> > I've been trying out a cubietruck to display local content, but it's
>> > just not grunty enough ( unless you know better! ) for much HD, which is
>> > a shame as it looked like just what I wanted.
>> >
>> > Any suggestions for a better solution? I'm looking at possibly a
>> > Gigabyte BRIX, but not sure what extra I'd need to buy, and whether it
>> > runs linux ( it should! ). I have an older 2.5" 120GB SSD to go in -
>> > will it fit?, but do I need a graphics card as well?
>> >

>> Are you wanting to run mythfrontend or xbmc with pvr.mythtv or both?
>>
>> Most modern built in chipsets, ie intel or amd with built in graphics
>> should do fine.
>>
>> Personally I like nvidia graphics and ion2 is my chipset of choice,
>> although they are now out of date.
>>
>> Budget?
>>
> HNY Nick,
>
> probably more likely to be xbmc, but need to plan for both.
>
> budget is minimal, hence the cubietruck trial. Machine will be dedicated
> though.

I have a HP SFF (DC7100 I think) p4 with an nvidia card I could let go
cheap. Not exactly low power but it goes just fine for myth and xbmc.

Re: recommendations for front end... [ In reply to ]
For a front end only a raspberrypi is good, can use the tv remote and uses
very little power, If you want to stream content (netflix tvnz ondemand
etc) then an intel NUC box is good

On 1 January 2015 at 20:09, Nick Rout <nick.rout@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 1, 2015 at 6:42 PM, Steve Holdoway <steve@greengecko.co.nz>
> wrote:
> > On Thu, 2015-01-01 at 17:07 +1300, Nick Rout wrote:

> is

> >> Are you wanting to run mythfrontend or xbmc with pvr.mythtv or both?
> >>
> >> Most modern built in chipsets, ie intel or amd with built in graphics
> >> should do fine.
> >>
> >> Personally I like nvidia graphics and ion2 is my chipset of choice,
> >> although they are now out of date.
> >>
> >> Budget?
> >>
> > HNY Nick,
> >
> > probably more likely to be xbmc, but need to plan for both.
> >
> > budget is minimal, hence the cubietruck trial. Machine will be dedicated
> > though.
> >

> I have a HP SFF (DC7100 I think) p4 with an nvidia card I could let go
> cheap. Not exactly low power but it goes just fine for myth and xbmc.

"Weekends don't count unless you spend them doing something completely
pointless. " - Calvin
Re: recommendations for front end... [ In reply to ]
On 02/01/15 11:22, Jason Taylor wrote:
> For a front end only a raspberrypi is good, can use the tv remote and uses
> very little power, If you want to stream content (netflix tvnz ondemand
> etc) then an intel NUC box is good

Interesting. I have both.

I could not get Raspberry PI working with Myth. Is there instructions
some place?

My NUC is an absolute piece of shit! I have a *lot* of ram and 30GB of
SSD and it runs like a steamroller in 6 inches of mud. A waste of money
it was. Does work as a front end but for what it is it is way way over
priced.

What about a Beaglebone?

Why is the legal status of chardonnay different to that of cannabis?
worik.stanton@gmail.com 021-1680650, (03) 4821804
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
I voted for love

Re: recommendations for front end... [ In reply to ]
On 7 January 2015 at 12:21, worik <worik.stanton@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 02/01/15 11:22, Jason Taylor wrote:
> > For a front end only a raspberrypi is good, can use the tv remote and
> uses
> > very little power, If you want to stream content (netflix tvnz ondemand
> > etc) then an intel NUC box is good
>
> Interesting. I have both.
>
> I could not get Raspberry PI working with Myth. Is there instructions
> some place?
>
> My NUC is an absolute piece of shit! I have a *lot* of ram and 30GB of
> SSD and it runs like a steamroller in 6 inches of mud. A waste of money
> it was. Does work as a front end but for what it is it is way way over
> priced.
>
> What about a Beaglebone?

There are a lot of android devices out which will work as a MythTV frontend
if combined with Kodi <http://kodi.tv/> (XBMC) and the the cmyth PVR plugin:
http://www.dx.com/s/google+tv
I haven't tried it with one of these stand alone boxes, but works fine with
a tablet + HDMI out.

You also get the native Netflix app.

Ken.
Re: recommendations for front end... [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 07 Jan 2015 13:26:06 Kenneth Dixon wrote:

> There are a lot of android devices out which will work as a MythTV frontend
> if combined with Kodi <http://kodi.tv/> (XBMC) and the the cmyth PVR plugin:
> http://www.dx.com/s/google+tv
> I haven't tried it with one of these stand alone boxes, but works fine with
> a tablet + HDMI out.
>
> You also get the native Netflix app.
>
> Ken.

Since you mention Android, I'll ask. I have not really had a good google on
this - so sorry if it is obvious.

I have tried several things to play my MythTV recordings on a Samsung tablet,
but none work. I always get a error something like 'Sorry, this format cannot
be played'. The only thing that seems to play the videos is VLC.

I did have a go at finding out more - and it could be that Samsung has
restricted the formats the device can play.

So just wondering if you have set MythTV up to record in an Android friendly
format, if Kodi is transcoding for Android, or if I should have got something
other than a Samsung device? I could not find codec to install for the tablet,
either.

Finally - are you using an Android app to play the videos, or a uPnP client?

Cheers,
Don

Re: recommendations for front end... [ In reply to ]
Hi Don, Yeah I have heard of issues with playing videos on Samsung devices,
but don't know the details as I don't have one. Using a third party app
such as Kodi might avoid the issue.

So MythTV just does a standard recording, which is h.264 encoding for
DVB-T.
The cmyth plugin uses the MythTV API to cache recorded show details opens a
stream that the Android version of Kodi (XBMC) plays. I don't know the
details, but there might be some on-the-fly scaling done on the MythTV side.

Your best best bet is just try it, I don't think it's on the play store
yet, so here is a link:
http://mirrors.xbmc.org/releases/android/arm/kodi-14.0-Helix-armeabi-v7a.apk
Just open using your tablet, allow unauthorised sources and install.
Once installed, go to plugin section and enable cmyth under the PVR lugins
section. Here are some instructions:
http://kodi.wiki/view/PVR/Backend/MythTV

Good luck, let us know how it goes.

Re: recommendations for front end... [ In reply to ]
On 07/01/15 12:21, worik wrote:
> My NUC is an absolute piece of shit! I have a*lot* of ram and 30GB of
> SSD and it runs like a steamroller in 6 inches of mud. A waste of money
> it was. Does work as a front end but for what it is it is way way over
> priced.

That's interesting. I have a NUC (original black) which runs XBMC very
well and plays Myth recordings perfectly fine.

These days you can get the BRIX which is very similar but not as expensive.

hads
--
http://nice.net.nz

Re: recommendations for front end... [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Jan 7, 2015 at 12:21 PM, worik <worik.stanton@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 02/01/15 11:22, Jason Taylor wrote:
>> For a front end only a raspberrypi is good, can use the tv remote and uses
>> very little power, If you want to stream content (netflix tvnz ondemand
>> etc) then an intel NUC box is good
>
> Interesting. I have both.
>
> I could not get Raspberry PI working with Myth. Is there instructions
> some place?

http://kodi.wiki

I don't believe there is a mythfrontend for pi, but kodi and
pvr.mythtv certainly works.

> My NUC is an absolute piece of shit! I have a *lot* of ram and 30GB of
> SSD and it runs like a steamroller in 6 inches of mud. A waste of money
> it was. Does work as a front end but for what it is it is way way over
> priced.

You would I think be the only person I have ever seen with this
opinion - I suspect operator error, or you are running it as something
other than a media PC.

> What about a Beaglebone?

What about it? Does it have some standard API into an accelerated
video playback engine?

Re: recommendations for front end... [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Jan 7, 2015 at 1:26 PM, Kenneth Dixon <kenneth.b.dixon@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 7 January 2015 at 12:21, worik <worik.stanton@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 02/01/15 11:22, Jason Taylor wrote:
>> > For a front end only a raspberrypi is good, can use the tv remote and
>> > uses
>> > very little power, If you want to stream content (netflix tvnz ondemand
>> > etc) then an intel NUC box is good
>>
>> Interesting. I have both.
>>
>> I could not get Raspberry PI working with Myth. Is there instructions
>> some place?
>>
>> My NUC is an absolute piece of shit! I have a *lot* of ram and 30GB of
>> SSD and it runs like a steamroller in 6 inches of mud. A waste of money
>> it was. Does work as a front end but for what it is it is way way over
>> priced.
>>
>> What about a Beaglebone?
>

> There are a lot of android devices out which will work as a MythTV frontend
> if combined with Kodi (XBMC) and the the cmyth PVR plugin:
> http://www.dx.com/s/google+tv
> I haven't tried it with one of these stand alone boxes, but works fine with
> a tablet + HDMI out.
>
> You also get the native Netflix app.

Bad choice for a country where we have 25/50Hz TV broadcasts. Android
does not do frame rate switching, rendering it awful for most PAL
usage.

Re: recommendations for front end... [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Jan 7, 2015 at 2:16 PM, Don Robertson <don@robertson.net.nz> wrote:
> On Wed, 07 Jan 2015 13:26:06 Kenneth Dixon wrote:
>
>> There are a lot of android devices out which will work as a MythTV frontend
>> if combined with Kodi <http://kodi.tv/> (XBMC) and the the cmyth PVR plugin:
>> http://www.dx.com/s/google+tv
>> I haven't tried it with one of these stand alone boxes, but works fine with
>> a tablet + HDMI out.
>>
>> You also get the native Netflix app.
>>
>> Ken.
>

> Since you mention Android, I'll ask. I have not really had a good google on
> this - so sorry if it is obvious.
>
> I have tried several things to play my MythTV recordings on a Samsung tablet,
> but none work. I always get a error something like 'Sorry, this format cannot
> be played'. The only thing that seems to play the videos is VLC.
>
> I did have a go at finding out more - and it could be that Samsung has
> restricted the formats the device can play.
>
> So just wondering if you have set MythTV up to record in an Android friendly
> format, if Kodi is transcoding for Android, or if I should have got something
> other than a Samsung device? I could not find codec to install for the tablet,
> either.
>
> Finally - are you using an Android app to play the videos, or a uPnP client?

Just install kodi on your tablet. It has it's own codecs.

Re: recommendations for front end... [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Jan 7, 2015 at 3:06 PM, Kenneth Dixon <kenneth.b.dixon@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Don, Yeah I have heard of issues with playing videos on Samsung devices,
> but don't know the details as I don't have one. Using a third party app such
> as Kodi might avoid the issue.
>
> So MythTV just does a standard recording, which is h.264 encoding for DVB-T.
> The cmyth plugin uses the MythTV API to cache recorded show details opens a
> stream that the Android version of Kodi (XBMC) plays. I don't know the
> details, but there might be some on-the-fly scaling done on the MythTV side.

Kodi no longer uses the cmyth library, it has migrated to the myth api
which was intriduced around myth 0.25. No scaling or transcoding is
done by either the old pvr.cmyth.mythtv or the new pvr.mythtv.

Re: recommendations for front end... [ In reply to ]
On 07/01/15 18:07, Nick Rout wrote:
> Kodi no longer uses the cmyth library, it has migrated to the myth api
> which was intriduced around myth 0.25. No scaling or transcoding is
> done by either the old pvr.cmyth.mythtv or the new pvr.mythtv.

I tested out Kodi at our place the other day but am sticking with XMBC
for right now.

I ran across a few issues, major one being some sort of curl interaction
issue causing it to not download any addons/artwork/metadata, second
being general slowness with the myth api access.

The first could well be an OpenELEC issue but I don't have time to dig
into it right now so I'll wait and test a future update.

hads
--
http://nice.net.nz

Re: recommendations for front end... [ In reply to ]
On 7 January 2015 at 18:03, Nick Rout <nick.rout@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 7, 2015 at 1:26 PM, Kenneth Dixon <kenneth.b.dixon@gmail.com>
> wrote:

> ondemand
> >>
> >> Interesting. I have both.
> >>
> >> I could not get Raspberry PI working with Myth. Is there instructions
> >> some place?
> >>
> >> My NUC is an absolute piece of shit! I have a *lot* of ram and 30GB of
> >> SSD and it runs like a steamroller in 6 inches of mud. A waste of money
> >> it was. Does work as a front end but for what it is it is way way over
> >> priced.
> >>
> >> What about a Beaglebone?
> >

> > There are a lot of android devices out which will work as a MythTV
> frontend
> > if combined with Kodi (XBMC) and the the cmyth PVR plugin:
> > http://www.dx.com/s/google+tv
> > I haven't tried it with one of these stand alone boxes, but works fine
> with
> > a tablet + HDMI out.
> >
> > You also get the native Netflix app.
> >

> Bad choice for a country where we have 25/50Hz TV broadcasts. Android
> does not do frame rate switching, rendering it awful for most PAL
> usage.
>
> Ah I see. Have to admit I haven't noticed the issue, but the android
tablet is not my main front end.
There was talk of Android 5.0 solving the issue, but it doesn't look like
it has. Maybe a future version.
Still pretty handy if you already own a tablet.

Ken.
Re: recommendations for front end... [ In reply to ]

Would a quad core ( thread? ) zotac @ 1.6GHz atom work well? It has built in Nvidia ION graphics, and HDMI out...

Re: recommendations for front end... [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Jan 8, 2015 at 6:41 PM, Steve Holdoway <steve@greengecko.co.nz> wrote:
> On Thu, 2015-01-08 at 07:53 +1300, Kenneth Dixon wrote:
>>

>> On 7 January 2015 at 18:03, Nick Rout <nick.rout@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Jan 7, 2015 at 1:26 PM, Kenneth Dixon
>> <kenneth.b.dixon@gmail.com> wrote:

>> tv remote and
>> tvnz ondemand

>> instructions

>> and 30GB of
>> waste of money
>> way way over

>> > There are a lot of android devices out which will work as a
>> MythTV frontend
>> > if combined with Kodi (XBMC) and the the cmyth PVR plugin:
>> > http://www.dx.com/s/google+tv
>> > I haven't tried it with one of these stand alone boxes, but
>> works fine with
>> > a tablet + HDMI out.
>> >
>> > You also get the native Netflix app.
>> >

>> Bad choice for a country where we have 25/50Hz TV broadcasts.
>> Android
>> does not do frame rate switching, rendering it awful for most
>> PAL
>> usage.
>>
>> Ah I see. Have to admit I haven't noticed the issue, but the android
>> tablet is not my main front end.
>> There was talk of Android 5.0 solving the issue, but it doesn't look
>> like it has. Maybe a future version.
>> Still pretty handy if you already own a tablet.
>>

>> Ken.
>>

> Would a quad core ( thread? ) zotac @ 1.6GHz atom work well? It has built in Nvidia ION graphics, and HDMI out...

That should work perfectly, although ION2 is better.

Depends on price too.

Re: recommendations for front end... [ In reply to ]

Re: recommendations for front end... [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 2015-01-09 at 07:51 +1300, Paulgir wrote:

> >> Would a quad core ( thread? ) zotac @ 1.6GHz atom work well? It has
> >> built in Nvidia ION graphics, and HDMI out...
> >>

> > That should work perfectly, although ION2 is better.
> >
> > Depends on price too.

> This just came through:
>
> http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2015/01/intel-compute-stick-specs-ubuntu-version?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+d0od+%28OMG%21+Ubuntu%21%29

I've played with similar ones in the past - RKM 802 IV being the last -
and couldn't even load linux onto them as they come with android
installed. Hopefully with it being a more upmarket brand they'll be more
usable.

Steve

Re: recommendations for front end... [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 09 Jan 2015 09:38:22 +1300, Steve Holdoway
<steve@greengecko.co.nz> wrote:

>> > That should work perfectly, although ION2 is better.
>> >
>> > Depends on price too.

>> This just came through:
>>
>> http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2015/01/intel-compute-stick-specs-ubuntu-version?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+d0od+%28OMG%21+Ubuntu%21%29
>>

> I've played with similar ones in the past - RKM 802 IV being the last -
> and couldn't even load linux onto them as they come with android
> installed. Hopefully with it being a more upmarket brand they'll be more
> usable.
>
> Steve

This one comes preloaded with either Ubuntu 14.04 or Win 8.1.The Ubuntu is
substantially cheaper,too.

-Paul

Re: recommendations for front end... [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 2015-01-09 at 09:59 +1300, Paulgir wrote:
> On Fri, 09 Jan 2015 09:38:22 +1300, Steve Holdoway
> <steve@greengecko.co.nz> wrote:

> >> This just came through:
> >>
> >> http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2015/01/intel-compute-stick-specs-ubuntu-version?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+d0od+%28OMG%21+Ubuntu%21%29
> >>

> > I've played with similar ones in the past - RKM 802 IV being the last -
> > and couldn't even load linux onto them as they come with android
> > installed. Hopefully with it being a more upmarket brand they'll be more
> > usable.
> >
> > Steve
>

> This one comes preloaded with either Ubuntu 14.04 or Win 8.1.The Ubuntu is
> substantially cheaper,too.
>
> -Paul

You should have been able to load linux on the rikomagic as well, it was
just that the product was too flakey to complete the task.

I just wanted to use it as a remote server as it has loads of USB + BT
and wifi built in. I didn't expect the Mali-400 GPU to be of much use
for multimedia.

It's about the same price is this Intel one, whenever that becomes
available.

Steve