Mailing List Archive

Incomplete recordings
My recordings are cutting short. They are usually stopping after about
forty minutes.

I have been looking at the logs and I simply cannot see anything suspicious.

If the list rules allow it I have attached a pieces of mythbackend.log
when the TVone news stopped at 41.16 after it started. But I am unsure
how to interpret what I am looking at.

There was a write that took 15 seconds. But there is nothing that says
it failed

In some cases the recordings say (when I query from the front end) that
they are complete but stop after just a few minutes.

I do not know how to diagnose what is wrong.

I am having a lot of problems with this system:

* Intel NUC
(https://images.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F%2Fecx.images-amazon.com%2Fimages%2FI%2F41oeyky7YUL.jpg&f=1)

* NETGEAR Ready NAS for the hard drives

I am using the NUC as a front/back end, I have been too busy to put the
next front end together

Is anybody else running a system like this?

cheers
Worik
--
Why is the legal status of chardonnay different to that of cannabis?
worik.stanton@gmail.com 021-1680650, (03) 4821804
Incomplete recordings [ In reply to ]
[...]

PS: I hope this has not reached the list twice. I sent it using another
address first and fscking gmail does not send me copies of emails I
send to a list...

Re: Incomplete recordings [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 28 Nov 2014 20:41:06 +1300, you wrote:

>My recordings are cutting short. They are usually stopping after about
>forty minutes.
>
>I have been looking at the logs and I simply cannot see anything suspicious.
>
>If the list rules allow it I have attached a pieces of mythbackend.log
>when the TVone news stopped at 41.16 after it started. But I am unsure
>how to interpret what I am looking at.
>
>There was a write that took 15 seconds. But there is nothing that says
>it failed
>
>In some cases the recordings say (when I query from the front end) that
>they are complete but stop after just a few minutes.
>
>I do not know how to diagnose what is wrong.
>
>I am having a lot of problems with this system:
>
>* Intel NUC
>(https://images.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F%2Fecx.images-amazon.com%2Fimages%2FI%2F41oeyky7YUL.jpg&f=1)
>
>* NETGEAR Ready NAS for the hard drives
>
>I am using the NUC as a front/back end, I have been too busy to put the
>next front end together
>
>Is anybody else running a system like this?
>
>cheers
>Worik

Fifteen seconds is way too long for a write - it very likely that the
write failed even though the message is not explicit about that. And
what I have seen in the past on my box is that a failed write seems to
stop the recording at that point.

How many recordings are you doing at a time? There is a limit to how
much traffic you can get on an Ethernet connection to a NAS. Is it
gigabit Ethernet or only 100 Mbit? And there seem to be lots of
commercial NAS boxes that perform appallingly badly with very low
write speeds compared to building one yourself with an old
motherboard. So if you are expecting your NAS drives to work at the
full speed of the Ethernet connection, you may be sadly mistaken.

Re: Incomplete recordings [ In reply to ]
> On Fri, 28 Nov 2014 20:41:06 +1300, you wrote:
>
>> My recordings are cutting short. They are usually stopping after about
>> forty minutes.

[snip]

>> There was a write that took 15 seconds. But there is nothing that says
>> it failed

[snip]

> Fifteen seconds is way too long for a write - it very likely that the
> write failed even though the message is not explicit about that. And
> what I have seen in the past on my box is that a failed write seems to
> stop the recording at that point.
>
> How many recordings are you doing at a time? There is a limit to how
> much traffic you can get on an Ethernet connection to a NAS. Is it
> gigabit Ethernet or only 100 Mbit? And there seem to be lots of
> commercial NAS boxes that perform appallingly badly with very low
> write speeds compared to building one yourself with an old
> motherboard. So if you are expecting your NAS drives to work at the
> full speed of the Ethernet connection, you may be sadly mistaken.

That makes a lot of sense.

I need to make sure I only record standard definition if there is a
choice The commonest time it happens is when recording TV1 and TV3 news
at 6pm. Both HD.

Damn! I'm going the old motherboard root for my server! (Old case too)

thanks