Mailing List Archive

Re: [SOLVED] Youtube et al audio through HDMI
> STILL no flash output though :(

30 seconds after sending this last email, another reboot and its working.

I guess the last change to the .asoundrc did it after all but forcing an
alsa reload didn't get everything lined up!!

--
Robin Gilks

Re: [SOLVED] Youtube et al audio through HDMI [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 02 Oct 2014 18:22:00 +1300, Robin Gilks <g8ecj@gilks.org> wrote:

>> STILL no flash output though :(
>
> 30 seconds after sending this last email, another reboot and its working.
>
> I guess the last change to the .asoundrc did it after all but forcing an
> alsa reload didn't get everything lined up!!

I have been following this discussion with interest,as I have not been
able to get desktop audio working on my system.Sound test works with
device 3 but no asound.rc variation I have yet tried,has worked to enable
sound in flash.

So Robin, you are now using:

pcm.analog {
type hw
card 0
device 0 }

pcm.hdmi0 {
type hw
card 0
device 3 }

pcm.hdmi1 {
type hw
card 0
device 7 }

pcm.hdmi2 {
type hw
card 0
device 8 }

pcm.!default {
type plug
slave.pcm "hdmi0" }

as your asound.rc,in it's entirety,with nothing commented out?
Or am I misreading you?

-Paul

Re: [SOLVED] Youtube et al audio through HDMI [ In reply to ]
> On Thu, 02 Oct 2014 18:22:00 +1300, Robin Gilks <g8ecj@gilks.org> wrote:
>

>>> STILL no flash output though :(
>>
>> 30 seconds after sending this last email, another reboot and its
>> working.
>>
>> I guess the last change to the .asoundrc did it after all but forcing an
>> alsa reload didn't get everything lined up!!
>

> I have been following this discussion with interest,as I have not been
> able to get desktop audio working on my system.Sound test works with
> device 3 but no asound.rc variation I have yet tried,has worked to enable
> sound in flash.
>
> So Robin, you are now using:
>
> pcm.analog {
> type hw
> card 0
> device 0 }
>
> pcm.hdmi0 {
> type hw
> card 0
> device 3 }
>
> pcm.hdmi1 {
> type hw
> card 0
> device 7 }
>
> pcm.hdmi2 {
> type hw
> card 0
> device 8 }
>
> pcm.!default {
> type plug
> slave.pcm "hdmi0" }
>
> as your asound.rc,in it's entirety,with nothing commented out?
> Or am I misreading you?
>
> -Paul

Hi Paul

The file is exactly as quoted, nothing commented out. Its the last section
that selects the actual device to use as the default. I'm sure some of the
file is redundant but it at least documents all the capabilities of the
sound system.

One thing to note however, the name of the file is ".asoundrc" - note the
leading dot and no dot within the name itself. It belongs in the users
home directory.

The same file contents can also be used (where it will apply to all users
if you have more than one) in the '/etc' directory in a file named
'alsa.conf'. In that case nothing is required in the home directory.

Cheers

--
Robin Gilks

Re: [SOLVED] Youtube et al audio through HDMI [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 03 Oct 2014 11:05:06 +1300, Robin Gilks <g8ecj@gilks.org> wrote:

>>> 30 seconds after sending this last email, another reboot and its
>>> working.
>>>
>>> I guess the last change to the .asoundrc did it after all but forcing
>>> an
>>> alsa reload didn't get everything lined up!!
>>

>> I have been following this discussion with interest,as I have not been
>> able to get desktop audio working on my system.Sound test works with
>> device 3 but no asound.rc variation I have yet tried,has worked to
>> enable
>> sound in flash.
>>
>> So Robin, you are now using:
>>
>> pcm.analog {
>> type hw
>> card 0
>> device 0 }
>>
>> pcm.hdmi0 {
>> type hw
>> card 0
>> device 3 }
>>
>> pcm.hdmi1 {
>> type hw
>> card 0
>> device 7 }
>>
>> pcm.hdmi2 {
>> type hw
>> card 0
>> device 8 }
>>
>> pcm.!default {
>> type plug
>> slave.pcm "hdmi0" }
>>
>> as your asound.rc,in it's entirety,with nothing commented out?
>> Or am I misreading you?
>>
>> -Paul
>>

> Hi Paul
>
> The file is exactly as quoted, nothing commented out. Its the last
> section
> that selects the actual device to use as the default. I'm sure some of
> the
> file is redundant but it at least documents all the capabilities of the
> sound system.
>
> One thing to note however, the name of the file is ".asoundrc" - note the
> leading dot and no dot within the name itself. It belongs in the users
> home directory.
>
> The same file contents can also be used (where it will apply to all users
> if you have more than one) in the '/etc' directory in a file named
> 'alsa.conf'. In that case nothing is required in the home directory.
>
> Cheers

Thanks Robin ,I will try your solution

Re: [SOLVED] Youtube et al audio through HDMI [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Oct 3, 2014 at 11:05 AM, Robin Gilks <g8ecj@gilks.org> wrote:

>>> 30 seconds after sending this last email, another reboot and its
>>> working.
>>>
>>> I guess the last change to the .asoundrc did it after all but forcing an
>>> alsa reload didn't get everything lined up!!
>>

>> I have been following this discussion with interest,as I have not been
>> able to get desktop audio working on my system.Sound test works with
>> device 3 but no asound.rc variation I have yet tried,has worked to enable
>> sound in flash.
>>
>> So Robin, you are now using:
>>
>> pcm.analog {
>> type hw
>> card 0
>> device 0 }
>>
>> pcm.hdmi0 {
>> type hw
>> card 0
>> device 3 }
>>
>> pcm.hdmi1 {
>> type hw
>> card 0
>> device 7 }
>>
>> pcm.hdmi2 {
>> type hw
>> card 0
>> device 8 }
>>
>> pcm.!default {
>> type plug
>> slave.pcm "hdmi0" }
>>
>> as your asound.rc,in it's entirety,with nothing commented out?
>> Or am I misreading you?
>>
>> -Paul
>>

> Hi Paul
>
> The file is exactly as quoted, nothing commented out. Its the last section
> that selects the actual device to use as the default. I'm sure some of the
> file is redundant but it at least documents all the capabilities of the
> sound system.
>
> One thing to note however, the name of the file is ".asoundrc" - note the
> leading dot and no dot within the name itself. It belongs in the users
> home directory.
>
> The same file contents can also be used (where it will apply to all users
> if you have more than one) in the '/etc' directory in a file named
> 'alsa.conf'. In that case nothing is required in the home directory.

Unless something has changed, the system wide file is
/etc/asound.conf, not /etc/alsa.conf

http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Asoundrc

Re: [SOLVED] Youtube et al audio through HDMI [ In reply to ]
> On Fri, Oct 3, 2014 at 11:05 AM, Robin Gilks <g8ecj@gilks.org> wrote:

>>> I have been following this discussion with interest,as I have not been
>>> able to get desktop audio working on my system.Sound test works with
>>> device 3 but no asound.rc variation I have yet tried,has worked to
>>> enable
>>> sound in flash.
>>>
>>> So Robin, you are now using:
>>>
>>> pcm.analog {
>>> type hw
>>> card 0
>>> device 0 }
>>>
>>> pcm.hdmi0 {
>>> type hw
>>> card 0
>>> device 3 }
>>>
>>> pcm.hdmi1 {
>>> type hw
>>> card 0
>>> device 7 }
>>>
>>> pcm.hdmi2 {
>>> type hw
>>> card 0
>>> device 8 }
>>>
>>> pcm.!default {
>>> type plug
>>> slave.pcm "hdmi0" }
>>>
>>> as your asound.rc,in it's entirety,with nothing commented out?
>>> Or am I misreading you?
>>>
>>> -Paul
>>>

>> Hi Paul
>>
>> The file is exactly as quoted, nothing commented out. Its the last
>> section
>> that selects the actual device to use as the default. I'm sure some of
>> the
>> file is redundant but it at least documents all the capabilities of the
>> sound system.
>>
>> One thing to note however, the name of the file is ".asoundrc" - note
>> the
>> leading dot and no dot within the name itself. It belongs in the users
>> home directory.
>>
>> The same file contents can also be used (where it will apply to all
>> users
>> if you have more than one) in the '/etc' directory in a file named
>> 'alsa.conf'. In that case nothing is required in the home directory.
>

> Unless something has changed, the system wide file is
> /etc/asound.conf, not /etc/alsa.conf
>
> http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Asoundrc

Well spotted Nick - keeping you on your toes :)

--
Robin Gilks