Mailing List Archive

Youtube et al audio through HDMI
Greetings all

As a new Mythbuntu user, I'm still tweaking the system to suit the way I
do things!!

Most things work apart from flash audio doesn't get to the HDMI output :(

I have configured the mythtv audio setup, selecting the output that works
OK and I'm happy with that. I had to make a similar entry for MythMusic as
it doesn't appear to default to the same device. Anything using flash is
silent so I've either got pulse getting in the way or my .asoundrc file is
incorrect.

I have studied the alsa setup using aplay which agrees with the selections
within Myth as above.
$ aplay -l
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 0: ALC662 rev1 Analog [ALC662 rev1
Analog]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 7: HDMI 1 [HDMI 1]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 8: HDMI 2 [HDMI 2]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

$ cat .asoundrc
pcm.!default {
type hw
card 0
device 3
}
ctl.!default {
type hw
card 0
device 3
}

Am I heading the right way with this or should I be adding the HDMI device
to the pulseaudio config and setting that as the default.

Cheers

--
Robin Gilks

Re: Youtube et al audio through HDMI [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Oct 1, 2014 at 11:38 PM, Robin Gilks <g8ecj@gilks.org> wrote:
> Greetings all
>
> As a new Mythbuntu user, I'm still tweaking the system to suit the way I
> do things!!
>
> Most things work apart from flash audio doesn't get to the HDMI output :(
>
> I have configured the mythtv audio setup, selecting the output that works
> OK and I'm happy with that. I had to make a similar entry for MythMusic as
> it doesn't appear to default to the same device. Anything using flash is
> silent so I've either got pulse getting in the way or my .asoundrc file is
> incorrect.
>
> I have studied the alsa setup using aplay which agrees with the selections
> within Myth as above.
> $ aplay -l
> card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 0: ALC662 rev1 Analog [ALC662 rev1
> Analog]
> Subdevices: 1/1
> Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
> card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
> Subdevices: 1/1
> Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
> card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 7: HDMI 1 [HDMI 1]
> Subdevices: 1/1
> Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
> card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 8: HDMI 2 [HDMI 2]
> Subdevices: 1/1
> Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
>

> $ cat .asoundrc
> pcm.!default {
> type hw
> card 0
> device 3
> }
> ctl.!default {
> type hw
> card 0
> device 3
> }
>
> Am I heading the right way with this or should I be adding the HDMI device
> to the pulseaudio config and setting that as the default.

I didn't think mythbuntu installed pulse, but perhaps times have
changed. I wouldn't want pulse anywhere near my media PC.

.asoundrc looks good but those device numbers can be confusing - start
at 0 and work your way up until it works! speaker-test can be helpful.

Re: Youtube et al audio through HDMI [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Oct 02, 2014 at 09:15:04AM +1300, Nick Rout wrote:

> I didn't think mythbuntu installed pulse, but perhaps times have
> changed. I wouldn't want pulse anywhere near my media PC.
>
> .asoundrc looks good but those device numbers can be confusing - start
> at 0 and work your way up until it works! speaker-test can be helpful.

As regards pulseaudio. Somehow it got installed on my non media PC and
my audio stopped working so I purged it, but I have seen lately that it
is handy for "reasonably complicated" audio setups and that having
pavucontrol installed allows you to configure it properly.

oppressing." --- Malcolm X

Re: Youtube et al audio through HDMI [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 2 Oct 2014 09:15:04 +1300, you wrote:

>On Wed, Oct 1, 2014 at 11:38 PM, Robin Gilks <g8ecj@gilks.org> wrote:
>> Greetings all
>>
>> As a new Mythbuntu user, I'm still tweaking the system to suit the way I
>> do things!!
>>
>> Most things work apart from flash audio doesn't get to the HDMI output :(
>>
>> I have configured the mythtv audio setup, selecting the output that works
>> OK and I'm happy with that. I had to make a similar entry for MythMusic as
>> it doesn't appear to default to the same device. Anything using flash is
>> silent so I've either got pulse getting in the way or my .asoundrc file is
>> incorrect.
>>
>> I have studied the alsa setup using aplay which agrees with the selections
>> within Myth as above.
>> $ aplay -l
>> **** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
>> card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 0: ALC662 rev1 Analog [ALC662 rev1
>> Analog]
>> Subdevices: 1/1
>> Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
>> card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
>> Subdevices: 1/1
>> Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
>> card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 7: HDMI 1 [HDMI 1]
>> Subdevices: 1/1
>> Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
>> card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 8: HDMI 2 [HDMI 2]
>> Subdevices: 1/1
>> Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
>>

>> $ cat .asoundrc
>> pcm.!default {
>> type hw
>> card 0
>> device 3
>> }
>> ctl.!default {
>> type hw
>> card 0
>> device 3
>> }
>>
>> Am I heading the right way with this or should I be adding the HDMI device
>> to the pulseaudio config and setting that as the default.
>
>I didn't think mythbuntu installed pulse, but perhaps times have
>changed. I wouldn't want pulse anywhere near my media PC.
>
>.asoundrc looks good but those device numbers can be confusing - start
>at 0 and work your way up until it works! speaker-test can be helpful.

I believe that pulseaudio is installed by default on Mythbuntu now and
has been since 12.04. But mythfrontend turns it off or bypasses it
when it is playing things. I know that on my laptop when I first
installed 12.04 I had to install a pulse mixer of some sort and use it
to enable some things to get my sound working. But after that I have
not had to touch pulse at all.

Re: Youtube et al audio through HDMI [ In reply to ]
> On Thu, 2 Oct 2014 09:15:04 +1300, you wrote:
>
>>On Wed, Oct 1, 2014 at 11:38 PM, Robin Gilks <g8ecj@gilks.org> wrote:
>>> Greetings all
>>>
>>> As a new Mythbuntu user, I'm still tweaking the system to suit the way
>>> do things!!
>>>
>>> Most things work apart from flash audio doesn't get to the HDMI output
>>> :(
>>>
>>> I have configured the mythtv audio setup, selecting the output that
>>> works
>>> OK and I'm happy with that. I had to make a similar entry for MythMusic
>>> as
>>> it doesn't appear to default to the same device. Anything using flash
>>> is
>>> silent so I've either got pulse getting in the way or my .asoundrc file
>>> is
>>> incorrect.
>>>
>>> I have studied the alsa setup using aplay which agrees with the
>>> selections
>>> within Myth as above.
>>> $ aplay -l
>>> **** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
>>> card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 0: ALC662 rev1 Analog [ALC662 rev1
>>> Analog]
>>> Subdevices: 1/1
>>> Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
>>> card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
>>> Subdevices: 1/1
>>> Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
>>> card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 7: HDMI 1 [HDMI 1]
>>> Subdevices: 1/1
>>> Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
>>> card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 8: HDMI 2 [HDMI 2]
>>> Subdevices: 1/1
>>> Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
>>>

>>> $ cat .asoundrc
>>> pcm.!default {
>>> type hw
>>> card 0
>>> device 3
>>> }
>>> ctl.!default {
>>> type hw
>>> card 0
>>> device 3
>>> }
>>>
>>> Am I heading the right way with this or should I be adding the HDMI
>>> device
>>> to the pulseaudio config and setting that as the default.
>>
>>I didn't think mythbuntu installed pulse, but perhaps times have
>>changed. I wouldn't want pulse anywhere near my media PC.
>>
>>.asoundrc looks good but those device numbers can be confusing - start
>>at 0 and work your way up until it works! speaker-test can be helpful.
>
> I believe that pulseaudio is installed by default on Mythbuntu now and
> has been since 12.04. But mythfrontend turns it off or bypasses it
> when it is playing things. I know that on my laptop when I first
> installed 12.04 I had to install a pulse mixer of some sort and use it
> to enable some things to get my sound working. But after that I have
> not had to touch pulse at all.

Got a little bit further...

Removed pulseaudio package and as expected, no change to Mythtv and now
the .asoundrc file seems to be doing something.

Forcing the alsa device as follows has always worked:
aplay -v -D plughw:0,3 /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav
and the -v indicates the device being selected correctly.

Changing the .asoundrc file to include all hardware devices (so I could
select them in turn) looks like this:
$ cat .asoundrc
pcm.analog {
type hw
card 0
device 0 }

pcm.hdmi0 {
type hw
card 0
device 3 }

pcm.hdmi1 {
type hw
card 0
device 7 }

pcm.hdmi2 {
type hw
card 0
device 8 }

pcm.!default {
type plug
slave.pcm "hdmi0" }

As can be seen this relates directly to the 'aplay -l' output I related
earlier.

I can now use aplay without the hadware spec and get output:
aplay -v /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav
and the -v reveals that the correct device from .asoundrc is used
Slave: Hardware PCM card 0 'HDA Intel PCH' device 3 subdevice 0

STILL no flash output though :(

--
Robin Gilks