2. Even when I manage to get some cut points and re-encode, the audio
is out of sync.

Tips?

Re: Editing/cutting [ In reply to ]
On 4 August 2014 21:27, Nick Rout <nick.rout@gmail.com> wrote:

> I want to cut and re-encode some TV recordings from DVB-T Freeview.
>
> Last time I did this was with DVB-S Freeview and I used DVBcut
> followed by avidemux.
>
> Now DVBcut does not handle h.264 and if I import the recordings direct
> into avidemux the following happens:
>
> 1. avidemux will not allow me to 'scrub' through the file with the
> slider to find the cut points, and
>
> 2. Even when I manage to get some cut points and re-encode, the audio
> is out of sync.
>
> Tips?

I haven't tried any of the advice I am about to impart, but in *theory*....
:-)

Myth has (had?) an inbuilt editor in the Internal player. It's documented
here http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Editing_Recordings

If you transcode a recording with a cutlist it trims the cut parts out.
This definitely worked well on MPG recordings, so have a go at that. I
haven't tried it with h264 but it might work?

Another option is OpenShot, reviewed here
http://www.linux.com/learn/tutorials/642577-making-movies-in-linux-with-openshot-
It's a proper NLE, so far more advanced than avidemux but supports h264
http://www.openshotvideo.com/2009/07/avchd-h264-aac-and-mts-supported.html

Hopefully one or the other will work for you!

Cheers,
Duncan
Re: Editing/cutting [ In reply to ]
On 04/08/14 21:27, Nick Rout wrote:

> 1. avidemux will not allow me to 'scrub' through the file with the
> slider to find the cut points, and
>
> 2. Even when I manage to get some cut points and re-encode, the audio
> is out of sync.
>
> Tips?

When I first came to Myth (V 0.21) I did not have a NZ DVB-T H.264
capable front-end and I spent quite some time learning how to re-encode
to mpeg so I could watch my favourite shows. The process was quite
unsettling though and I was never sure if I had all the audio sync
problems sorted

However sanity prevailed and I eventually settled on a nvidia ion-2
based device for a front end so I haven't done much editing and
re-encoding since.

As far as NZ goes I believe that mythtv and H.264 is pretty broken for
most things other than vanilla recording and playback ( although
commercial detection seems to have improved vastly in the last 12 months).

I have kept an eye on mythtv-users and any threads that cover editing
and re-encoding and there has been some discussion and development of
scripts by UK users trying to make H.264 a better fit but IIRC there
still seems to significant problems around the "lossless-cut" function
(e.g. only re-encode the few frames around a cut so as to avoid having
to re-encode the whole file). ( Google the list and search the wiki :-) ).

I recently grabbed a NZ DVB-T clip from Al Jazera and processed it
through avidemux and ffmpeg/avconv with some success (caveat: no real
way to detect audio sync issues as no spoken dialogue with talking
heads). This was done on my Xubuntu 14.04 system using the latest
versions available of avconv and avidemux.

What are your target formats and media? It maybe that your best choice
will be to re-encode the who;e file to mpeg/target formats first that
load into avidemux for editinf.

Regards

Tony Sauri

Re: Editing/cutting [ In reply to ]
On 04/08/14 21:27, Nick Rout wrote:

> Tips?

Have looked up and found this in the wiki:

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/H264_commercial_remover_and_remuxer

However I am pretty sure that many people have found there are still
some problems associated with this.

Tony

Re: Editing/cutting [ In reply to ]
I was going to suggest Openshot too. If I can use it anyone can.

Robert Fisher

Re: Editing/cutting [ In reply to ]
On 05/08/14 09:56, Robert Fisher wrote:
> I was going to suggest Openshot too. If I can use it anyone can.

OpenShot has come a long way. It still has problems. OpenShot does a
good job of opening and editing HD video (I played with TV One news)
which is very good and much better than I found it a year ago.

The resulting clip that I transcoded into:

[tcprobe] OGG Multimedia Container
[tcprobe] summary for /tmp/Default Project.ogg, (*) = not default, 0 =
not detected
import frame size: -g 320x240 [720x576] (*)
aspect ratio: 4:3 (*)
frame rate: -f 29.970 [25.000] frc=4 (*)
audio track: -a 0 [0] -e 44100,0,2 [48000,16,2] -n 0xfffe [0x2000] (*)
bitrate=192 kbps

played fine in vlc and totem but not with mplayer. This could just as
easily be a problem with mplayer, though I am hesitant to admit that as
I love mplayer so....

The last time I tried OpenShot it was unusable. It has really come a
long way very quickly.

Why is the legal status of chardonnay different to that of cannabis?
I A^2 Dub P.o.S.
worik.stanton@gmail.com 021-1680650, (03) 4821804
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Re: Editing/cutting [ In reply to ]
I wasn't really after a NLE, but that may be the way I have to go.

I think tsmuxer is what I really need but I can't seem to make it work
on 64 bit ubuntu/mint precise.

By the way I did some NLE editing of Miranda's gig a while ago, and
found kedenlive to be vastly superior to openshot, but these things
are sometimes personal preference. The results are the two most recent
vids on here

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQ5khEBcJCue1vAHzb_fpaw

There wasn't a lot of editing going on, apart from adding some
titles/credits. I have another song from the gig that was shot on two
cameras, so I must try editing that. Should be more interesting than
the single camera one.

Re: Editing/cutting [ In reply to ]
Handbrake works for me.

Re: Editing/cutting [ In reply to ]
On 5 August 2014 07:55, Tony Sauri <hoiho.nz@gmail.com> wrote:
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/H264_commercial_remover_and_remuxer
>
> However I am pretty sure that many people have found there are still
> some problems associated with this.

mythtv lossless transcode is a fairly well covered utility and should
work great for what Nick wants to do...

create a lossless profile if you don't have one set.
edit the program and mark your cutting point if you don't have any or
are unhappy with the automatically made one (by mythcommflag)
then run mythtranscode on it.