Mailing List Archive

Possibly dying tuner card? (or something else?)
Hi All,

I've been running my Myth setup for nearly 3 years pretty successfully,
but recently I've been running into a lot of problems with failed
recordings. This started out with almost all recordings on the
MediaWorks multiplex failing, but it has since started occasionally on
the other multiplexes too. From looking at the logs this looks like the
adapter is unable to tune and eventually gives up. This appears to be
more likely when another recording is already in progress. I've done a
couple of retunes whilst this has been going on, but they didn't help.

In the last week we have also started to get a lot of interferance on
some recordings. Last night this produced a recording which was
completely unwatchable due to picture degradation and sound blips.

Looking in the log for this recording came up with something
interesting:

Jul 5 19:25:05 laforge mythbackend[2881]: W DVBRead
dtvrecorder.cpp:1290 (ProcessTSPacket) DTVRec(7): PID 0x3ec
discontinuity detected (( 5+1)%16!= 7) 0.57985%

This message is repeated 42677 times for this recording! Which fits with
the almost constant picture issues. Aside from that myth completed the
recording 'successfully', athough another recording which started later
failed.

Since the hardware and software didn't change since this was working,
I'm wondering if this is caused by a slow failure of the TV tuner card,
or some other part of the receiver setup (which consists of maybe 10m of
cable to the antenna and a Kingray amplifier [with phantom power
injected from ground level]). The other option is some real interferance
- there is a ham radio operator in the next street who I've always
suspected.

The relevant details of my system are as follows:

OS: Debian Wheezy with deb-multimedia packages for myth, etc.
Tuner Card: Hauppauge HVR2200
MythTV Version: 0.26.1+fixes20140227-dmo1

I've uploaded the log from last nights recordings at
http://webworxshop.com/~robert/logs/mythbackend.log.20140705. The
recording 'Midsomer Murders' was the corrupted one, whilst the recording
'Knowing' failed to tune.

I'm going to try and do some investigation with tzap later today and I'll
post the results here.

Please let me know what you guys think.

Thanks in advance,

Rob Connolly

Re: Possibly dying tuner card? (or something else?) [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 06 Jul 2014 12:20:39 +1200, you wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>I've been running my Myth setup for nearly 3 years pretty successfully,
>but recently I've been running into a lot of problems with failed
>recordings. This started out with almost all recordings on the
>MediaWorks multiplex failing, but it has since started occasionally on
>the other multiplexes too. From looking at the logs this looks like the
>adapter is unable to tune and eventually gives up. This appears to be
>more likely when another recording is already in progress. I've done a
>couple of retunes whilst this has been going on, but they didn't help.
>
>In the last week we have also started to get a lot of interferance on
>some recordings. Last night this produced a recording which was
>completely unwatchable due to picture degradation and sound blips.
>
>Looking in the log for this recording came up with something
>interesting:
>
>Jul 5 19:25:05 laforge mythbackend[2881]: W DVBRead
>dtvrecorder.cpp:1290 (ProcessTSPacket) DTVRec(7): PID 0x3ec
>discontinuity detected (( 5+1)%16!= 7) 0.57985%
>
>This message is repeated 42677 times for this recording! Which fits with
>the almost constant picture issues. Aside from that myth completed the
>recording 'successfully', athough another recording which started later
>failed.
>
>Since the hardware and software didn't change since this was working,
>I'm wondering if this is caused by a slow failure of the TV tuner card,
>or some other part of the receiver setup (which consists of maybe 10m of
>cable to the antenna and a Kingray amplifier [with phantom power
>injected from ground level]). The other option is some real interferance
>- there is a ham radio operator in the next street who I've always
>suspected.
>
>The relevant details of my system are as follows:
>
>OS: Debian Wheezy with deb-multimedia packages for myth, etc.
>Tuner Card: Hauppauge HVR2200
>MythTV Version: 0.26.1+fixes20140227-dmo1
>
>I've uploaded the log from last nights recordings at
>http://webworxshop.com/~robert/logs/mythbackend.log.20140705. The
>recording 'Midsomer Murders' was the corrupted one, whilst the recording
>'Knowing' failed to tune.
>
>I'm going to try and do some investigation with tzap later today and I'll
>post the results here.
>
>Please let me know what you guys think.
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>Rob Connolly

When one mux is giving problems, or gives more problems than the
others, that usually indicates reception problems, rather than tuner
problems (unless, like me, you have muxes forced to use specific
tuners). Usually one mux has the worst signal, either the lowest
power transmitter, or the highest frequency. So that mux is the one
that gives problems first.

I would suspect the cabling first. Are you using good shielded aerial
cable (RG6 I think is what is best), and F-connectors everywhere you
can? Is there somewhere that another power or signal cable has been
installed or moved to that runs parallel near your aerial cable? Has
a cable been bumped and pulled out partially anywhere (eg while
vacuuming)?

Check that the power supply to your aerial amplifier is still working
- they are usually just wall warts and hence not usually the most
reliable of things. Visually check that the aerial itself is OK and
still pointing in the correct direction.

Try using LiveTV and see what the on-screen signal level and s/n
values show, or use dvbtune. This is the command line I use for
dvbtune:

dvbtune -f $a -qam 64 -gi 16 -cr 3_4 -bw 8 -tm 8 -m -c $ADAPTER

where $a is the frequency in kHz (530000, 562000, 578000 or 594000 for
Wharite), and $ADAPTER is the adapter number, which is 0 or 1 in your
case.

Do you have another DVB-T tuner you could plug in for comparison (eg
USB one on your laptop)?

Re: Possibly dying tuner card? (or something else?) [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Jul 6, 2014 at 6:08 PM, Stephen Worthington
<stephen_agent@jsw.gen.nz> wrote:
> [...]
> a cable been bumped and pulled out partially anywhere (eg while
> vacuuming)?
>
> Check that the power supply to your aerial amplifier is still working
> - they are usually just wall warts and hence not usually the most
> reliable of things. Visually check that the aerial itself is OK and
> still pointing in the correct direction.
>
> Try using LiveTV and see what the on-screen signal level and s/n
> values show, or use dvbtune. This is the command line I use for
> dvbtune:
>
> dvbtune -f $a -qam 64 -gi 16 -cr 3_4 -bw 8 -tm 8 -m -c $ADAPTER
>
> where $a is the frequency in kHz (530000, 562000, 578000 or 594000 for
> Wharite), and $ADAPTER is the adapter number, which is 0 or 1 in your
> case.
>
> Do you have another DVB-T tuner you could plug in for comparison (eg

All good points, the other one is that your antenna could have
shifted. High winds lately? Earthquakes? Similarly a good storm could
get H20 into your cabling.

Re: Possibly dying tuner card? (or something else?) [ In reply to ]
Hi Rob,

What is the location of your setup? I am in Wellington, direct line of sight with Mt. KauKau aerial transmitters, running a 6-way passive splitter to 2 x Freeview TVs & a HDHomeRun dual tuner (DVB-T) and have experienced similar problems on both TV's and Myth recordings and live TV on certain freeview channels (but never TV-One). I put it down to maybe some outside aerial/cable moisture ingress issues but haven't got around to checking that out fully.

I did notice that it was particularly a problem on bad weather days.

However it could well be an issue at Mt. KauKau site.

Regards,
David.

Re: Possibly dying tuner card? (or something else?) [ In reply to ]

>What is the location of your setup? I am in Wellington, direct line of
sight with Mt. KauKau aerial transmitters, running a 6-way >passive splitter
to 2 x Freeview TVs & a HDHomeRun dual tuner (DVB-T) and have experienced
similar problems on both TV's >and Myth recordings and live TV on certain
freeview channels (but never TV-One). I put it down to maybe some outside
>aerial/cable moisture ingress issues but haven't got around to checking
that out fully.

>I did notice that it was particularly a problem on bad weather days.

>However it could well be an issue at Mt. KauKau site.

Not sure if it's the same thing but we got our terrestrial aerial fixed only
a few weeks ago and it was fine up to about a week and a bit ago - but we
are in Ranui Auckland. It's annoying me and the miss's like crazy to be
honest. Lots and lots of pixilation but fine for the last few days
grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

And not TVNZ stuff just TV3 mostly
Re: Possibly dying tuner card? (or something else?) [ In reply to ]
Excerpts from Nick Rout's message of 2014-07-06 18:13:55 +1200:
> [...]
> > - they are usually just wall warts and hence not usually the most
> > reliable of things. Visually check that the aerial itself is OK and
> > still pointing in the correct direction.
> >
> > Try using LiveTV and see what the on-screen signal level and s/n
> > values show, or use dvbtune. This is the command line I use for
> > dvbtune:
> >
> > dvbtune -f $a -qam 64 -gi 16 -cr 3_4 -bw 8 -tm 8 -m -c $ADAPTER
> >
> > where $a is the frequency in kHz (530000, 562000, 578000 or 594000 for
> > Wharite), and $ADAPTER is the adapter number, which is 0 or 1 in your
> > case.
> >
> > Do you have another DVB-T tuner you could plug in for comparison (eg
> > USB one on your laptop)?
>

> All good points, the other one is that your antenna could have
> shifted. High winds lately? Earthquakes? Similarly a good storm could

The fix for which is presumably new cabling?

*Sigh*

Cheers,

Rob

Re: Possibly dying tuner card? (or something else?) [ In reply to ]
Excerpts from Stephen Worthington's message of 2014-07-06 18:08:49 +1200:
> When one mux is giving problems, or gives more problems than the
> others, that usually indicates reception problems, rather than tuner
> problems (unless, like me, you have muxes forced to use specific
> tuners). Usually one mux has the worst signal, either the lowest
> power transmitter, or the highest frequency. So that mux is the one
> that gives problems first.

No, I don't. That's good to know, I was really hoping it wasn't the
tuner card.

> I would suspect the cabling first. Are you using good shielded aerial
> cable (RG6 I think is what is best), and F-connectors everywhere you
> can? Is there somewhere that another power or signal cable has been
> installed or moved to that runs parallel near your aerial cable? Has
> a cable been bumped and pulled out partially anywhere (eg while
> vacuuming)?

The cable runs out the back of the mythbox, through a splitter to the TV
and then to the power injector and out through the wall. The whole thing
is behind the TV cabinet and doesn't get poked around with much. I've
already checked and double checked the connections. F-connectors are on
everything except the splitter and the inputs to the TV and mythbox. Not
sure about the cable type.

> Check that the power supply to your aerial amplifier is still working
> - they are usually just wall warts and hence not usually the most
> reliable of things. Visually check that the aerial itself is OK and
> still pointing in the correct direction.

I just tried to check this, but my trusty $10 multimeter only registers
a couple of blips becuase the thing is AC. I'll take it to work later in
the week and hook it to a proper scope.

Aerial looks OK, but I think a trip to the roof may be required when I
get the time/weather/light.

> Try using LiveTV and see what the on-screen signal level and s/n
> values show, or use dvbtune. This is the command line I use for
> dvbtune:
>
> dvbtune -f $a -qam 64 -gi 16 -cr 3_4 -bw 8 -tm 8 -m -c $ADAPTER
>
> where $a is the frequency in kHz (530000, 562000, 578000 or 594000 for
> Wharite), and $ADAPTER is the adapter number, which is 0 or 1 in your
> case.

For 530000, I get:

Using DVB card "NXP TDA10048HN DVB-T"
tuning DVB-T (in United Kingdom) to 530000000 Hz
polling....
Getting frontend event
Overflow error, trying again (status = -1, errno = 75)FE_STATUS:
polling....
Getting frontend event
FE_STATUS:
polling....
Getting frontend event
FE_STATUS: FE_HAS_SIGNAL
polling....
Getting frontend event
FE_STATUS:
polling....
Getting frontend event
FE_STATUS: FE_HAS_SIGNAL
polling....
Getting frontend event
FE_STATUS:
polling....
Getting frontend event
FE_STATUS: FE_HAS_SIGNAL FE_HAS_CARRIER
polling....
Getting frontend event
FE_STATUS:
polling....
Getting frontend event
FE_STATUS: FE_HAS_SIGNAL
polling....
Getting frontend event
FE_STATUS:
polling....
Getting frontend event
FE_STATUS: FE_HAS_SIGNAL
polling....
Getting frontend event
FE_STATUS:
polling....
Getting frontend event
FE_STATUS: FE_HAS_SIGNAL
polling....
Getting frontend event
FE_STATUS:
polling....
Getting frontend event
FE_STATUS: FE_HAS_SIGNAL

The program just keeps polling without exiting, so I hit Ctrl-C.

I get similar output for the other muxes, although with a higher
percentage of FE_HAS_CARRIER messages. At the current time live TV works
on TV ONE and Prime but TV3 fails to tune.

> Do you have another DVB-T tuner you could plug in for comparison (eg
> USB one on your laptop)?

Unfortunately not.

Thanks for your help so far!

Cheers,

Rob

Re: Possibly dying tuner card? (or something else?) [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 07 Jul 2014 21:31:44 +1200, you wrote:

> [...]
>Getting frontend event
>FE_STATUS:
>polling....
>Getting frontend event
>FE_STATUS: FE_HAS_SIGNAL
>polling....
>Getting frontend event
>FE_STATUS:
>polling....
>Getting frontend event
>FE_STATUS: FE_HAS_SIGNAL
>polling....
>Getting frontend event
>FE_STATUS:
>polling....
>Getting frontend event
>FE_STATUS: FE_HAS_SIGNAL
>
>The program just keeps polling without exiting, so I hit Ctrl-C.
>
>I get similar output for the other muxes, although with a higher
>percentage of FE_HAS_CARRIER messages. At the current time live TV works
>on TV ONE and Prime but TV3 fails to tune.

Those messages just mean that dvbtune found nothing to tune to on that
frequency.

This is what I get when I tune to an invalid frequency:

Using DVB card "DiBcom 7000PC"
tuning DVB-T (in United Kingdom) to 520000000 Hz
dvb_frontend_parameters: frequency = 520000000, inversion = 0,
qpsk.symbol_rate = 0, qpsk.fec_inner = 3
polling....
Getting frontend event
FE_STATUS:
polling....
Getting frontend event
FE_STATUS: FE_HAS_SIGNAL
polling....
polling....
polling....
polling....
^C

And this is what it looks like when there is a transmitter on the
frequency:

Using DVB card "DiBcom 7000PC"
tuning DVB-T (in United Kingdom) to 530000000 Hz
dvb_frontend_parameters: frequency = 530000000, inversion = 0,
qpsk.symbol_rate = 0, qpsk.fec_inner = 3
polling....
Getting frontend event
FE_STATUS:
polling....
Getting frontend event
FE_STATUS: FE_HAS_SIGNAL FE_HAS_LOCK FE_HAS_CARRIER FE_HAS_VITERBI
FE_HAS_SYNC
Bit error rate: 0
Signal strength: 36040
SNR: 261
FE_STATUS: FE_HAS_SIGNAL FE_HAS_LOCK FE_HAS_CARRIER FE_HAS_VITERBI
FE_HAS_SYNC
Signal=36040, Verror=0, SNR=239dB, BlockErrors=0, (S|L|C|V|SY|)
Signal=35984, Verror=0, SNR=252dB, BlockErrors=0, (S|L|C|V|SY|)
Signal=35937, Verror=0, SNR=240dB, BlockErrors=0, (S|L|C|V|SY|)
Signal=35920, Verror=0, SNR=237dB, BlockErrors=0, (S|L|C|V|SY|)
Signal=35886, Verror=0, SNR=241dB, BlockErrors=0, (S|L|C|V|SY|)
Signal=35896, Verror=0, SNR=259dB, BlockErrors=0, (S|L|C|V|SY|)
Signal=35894, Verror=0, SNR=255dB, BlockErrors=0, (S|L|C|V|SY|)
Signal=35914, Verror=0, SNR=251dB, BlockErrors=0, (S|L|C|V|SY|)
^C

What transmitter do you receive from? You need to look up the
frequencies for it and use them to test with. There is a government
web page with all the transmitters on it, but I can not remember
exactly where it is at the moment. It is referenced somewhere earlier
this year on this list, from when all the frequencies were
reorganised. You can also use some SQL to see what is in your
database:

select distinct frequency from dtv_multiplex order by frequency;

The DVB-T frequencies are 9 digits long and in Hz - if you also have
DVB-S, they are 8 digits long (and in kHz units IIRC).

Note that the dvbtune output for signal level and s/n ratio can not be
compared between different types of cards, as the manufacturers do not
tell us what the absolute values mean. But you can use them to
compare tuners of the same type, and to compare reception of different
transmitters using the same tuner. My results above are using a one
of the two tuners on my Happuauge Nova TD-500 PCI card.