get the box running again.

We got quite the smell when it stopped !!?? ;)

Tim
Re: 8600GT or similar [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 22 Jun 2014 23:05:58 +1200, you wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>I've just had my video card melt down, literally.
>
>Does anyone have an old 8600GT or similar that works that is not being used?
>
>Or could recommend a replacement. The PC is old as well, just wanting to
>get the box running again.
>
>We got quite the smell when it stopped !!?? ;)
>
>Tim

Smell often equals popped electrolytic capacitors. In the era of
8600GT cards, there were lots of bad electrolytic capacitors being
used in all sorts of electronics, especially computer components. It
can be possible to replace them, if you are good at soldering.

Failing that, finding working cards from that era is getting
difficult, as they have mostly already died from bad capacitors by
now. Even if not in use, the capacitors still die.

If you are looking for something for the future, this card looks good:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/computers/components/video-cards/pciexpress/auction-742513401.htm

if a little expensive. An Nvidia 630 should be able to handle the
full deinterlace modes. Of the current generation of silent cards, I
am not sure if the 610 chipset will actually do the full deinterlace,
but the 6330 should.

If you just want any card that can do full deinterlace and are OK with
having a fan, then a second hand Nvidia 220 is probably the lowest
spec card that was made after the era of bad capacitors and will still
be working and be going to keep working. There were silent 220 cards
made (I have one), but they are virtually never available second hand.
And even second hand 220 cards with fans do not seem to go very
cheaply. And of course fans do die too.

Re: 8600GT or similar [ In reply to ]
>>Hi All,
>>
>>I've just had my video card melt down, literally.
>>
>>Does anyone have an old 8600GT or similar that works that is not being
used?

>>Or could recommend a replacement. The PC is old as well, just wanting
>>to get the box running again.
>>
>>We got quite the smell when it stopped !!?? ;)
>>
>>Tim
>
>Smell often equals popped electrolytic capacitors. In the era of 8600GT
cards, there were lots of bad electrolytic capacitors being used in all
sorts of electronics, especially >computer components. It can be possible
to replace them, if you are good at soldering.

>Failing that, finding working cards from that era is getting difficult, as
they have mostly already died from bad capacitors by now. Even if not in
use, the capacitors still die.

>If you are looking for something for the future, this card looks good:
>
>http://www.trademe.co.nz/computers/components/video-cards/pciexpress/auctio
n-742513401.htm

>if a little expensive. An Nvidia 630 should be able to handle the full
deinterlace modes. Of the current generation of silent cards, I am not sure
if the 610 chipset will >actually do the full deinterlace, but the 6330
should.

>If you just want any card that can do full deinterlace and are OK with
having a fan, then a second hand Nvidia 220 is probably the lowest spec card
that was made after the >era of bad capacitors and will still be working and
be going to keep working. There were silent 220 cards made (I have one),
but they are virtually never available second >hand.
>And even second hand 220 cards with fans do not seem to go very cheaply.
And of course fans do die too.

Hi,

I have an ASUS GT610 and get a little tearing at the top of the screen, do
you think the GT630 should be fine as I am not clear of the spec differences
- I need to build a second box?

I see PB Tech have them for $98.90 inl gst.

Cheers

Re: 8600GT or similar [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 23 Jun 2014 05:23:07 +1200, you wrote:

>>>Hi All,
>>>
>>>I've just had my video card melt down, literally.
>>>
>>>Does anyone have an old 8600GT or similar that works that is not being
>used?
>>>
>>>Or could recommend a replacement. The PC is old as well, just wanting
>>>to get the box running again.
>>>
>>>We got quite the smell when it stopped !!?? ;)
>>>
>>>Tim
>>
>>Smell often equals popped electrolytic capacitors. In the era of 8600GT
>cards, there were lots of bad electrolytic capacitors being used in all
>sorts of electronics, especially >computer components. It can be possible
>to replace them, if you are good at soldering.
>>
>>Failing that, finding working cards from that era is getting difficult, as
>they have mostly already died from bad capacitors by now. Even if not in
>use, the capacitors still die.
>>
>>If you are looking for something for the future, this card looks good:
>>
>>http://www.trademe.co.nz/computers/components/video-cards/pciexpress/auctio
>n-742513401.htm
>>
>>if a little expensive. An Nvidia 630 should be able to handle the full
>deinterlace modes. Of the current generation of silent cards, I am not sure
>if the 610 chipset will >actually do the full deinterlace, but the 6330
>should.
>>
>>If you just want any card that can do full deinterlace and are OK with
>having a fan, then a second hand Nvidia 220 is probably the lowest spec card
>that was made after the >era of bad capacitors and will still be working and
>be going to keep working. There were silent 220 cards made (I have one),
>but they are virtually never available second >hand.
>>And even second hand 220 cards with fans do not seem to go very cheaply.
>And of course fans do die too.
>
>Hi,
>
>I have an ASUS GT610 and get a little tearing at the top of the screen, do
>you think the GT630 should be fine as I am not clear of the spec differences
>- I need to build a second box?
>
>I see PB Tech have them for $98.90 inl gst.
>
>Cheers

The relevant difference seems to be in the shaders - the 610 does not
have enough of them, or they do not run fast enough. It looks like
Nvidia has released a new version of 630 also, using GDDR5 instead of
DDR3. Nvidia has a habit of re-using model numbers for different
chipsets. The older DDR3 one should be fine. The GDDR5 one is likely
overkill, but probably a better choice if you can get a silent one as
it will likely use less power and get less hot than the DDR3 version.

Re: 8600GT or similar [ In reply to ]
On 23 June 2014 11:07, Stephen Worthington <stephen_agent@jsw.gen.nz> wrote:

> >used?

> >>Smell often equals popped electrolytic capacitors. In the era of 8600GT
> >cards, there were lots of bad electrolytic capacitors being used in all
> >sorts of electronics, especially >computer components. It can be possible
> >to replace them, if you are good at soldering.
> >>
> >>Failing that, finding working cards from that era is getting difficult,
> as
> >they have mostly already died from bad capacitors by now. Even if not in
> >use, the capacitors still die.
> >>
> >>If you are looking for something for the future, this card looks good:
> >>

> http://www.trademe.co.nz/computers/components/video-cards/pciexpress/auctio
> >n-742513401.htm
> >>
> >>if a little expensive. An Nvidia 630 should be able to handle the full
> >deinterlace modes. Of the current generation of silent cards, I am not
> sure
> >if the 610 chipset will >actually do the full deinterlace, but the 6330
> >should.
> >>
> >>If you just want any card that can do full deinterlace and are OK with
> >having a fan, then a second hand Nvidia 220 is probably the lowest spec
> card
> >that was made after the >era of bad capacitors and will still be working
> and
> >be going to keep working. There were silent 220 cards made (I have one),
> >but they are virtually never available second >hand.
> >>And even second hand 220 cards with fans do not seem to go very cheaply.
> >And of course fans do die too.
> >
> >Hi,
> >
> >I have an ASUS GT610 and get a little tearing at the top of the screen, do
> >you think the GT630 should be fine as I am not clear of the spec
> differences
> >- I need to build a second box?
> >
> >I see PB Tech have them for $98.90 inl gst.
> >
> >Cheers
>
> The relevant difference seems to be in the shaders - the 610 does not
> have enough of them, or they do not run fast enough. It looks like
> Nvidia has released a new version of 630 also, using GDDR5 instead of
> DDR3. Nvidia has a habit of re-using model numbers for different
> chipsets. The older DDR3 one should be fine. The GDDR5 one is likely
> overkill, but probably a better choice if you can get a silent one as
> it will likely use less power and get less hot than the DDR3 version.

So would something like this be OK?

http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=423762

GT630-SL-1GD3-L, GeForce GT 630 Video Card, 1024MB, DDR3, PCIe-16

Tim
Re: 8600GT or similar [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 23 Jun 2014 22:11:49 +1200, you wrote:

>> >used?

>> >cards, there were lots of bad electrolytic capacitors being used in all
>> >sorts of electronics, especially >computer components. It can be possible
>> >to replace them, if you are good at soldering.

>> as
>> >they have mostly already died from bad capacitors by now. Even if not in
>> >use, the capacitors still die.

>> http://www.trademe.co.nz/computers/components/video-cards/pciexpress/auctio
>> >n-742513401.htm

>> >deinterlace modes. Of the current generation of silent cards, I am not
>> sure
>> >if the 610 chipset will >actually do the full deinterlace, but the 6330
>> >should.

>> >having a fan, then a second hand Nvidia 220 is probably the lowest spec
>> card
>> >that was made after the >era of bad capacitors and will still be working
>> and
>> >be going to keep working. There were silent 220 cards made (I have one),
>> >but they are virtually never available second >hand.
>> >And of course fans do die too.
>> >
>> >Hi,
>> >
>> >I have an ASUS GT610 and get a little tearing at the top of the screen, do
>> >you think the GT630 should be fine as I am not clear of the spec
>> differences
>> >- I need to build a second box?
>> >
>> >I see PB Tech have them for $98.90 inl gst.
>> >
>> >Cheers
>>
>> The relevant difference seems to be in the shaders - the 610 does not
>> have enough of them, or they do not run fast enough. It looks like
>> Nvidia has released a new version of 630 also, using GDDR5 instead of
>> DDR3. Nvidia has a habit of re-using model numbers for different
>> chipsets. The older DDR3 one should be fine. The GDDR5 one is likely
>> overkill, but probably a better choice if you can get a silent one as
>> it will likely use less power and get less hot than the DDR3 version.

>So would something like this be OK?
>
>http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=423762
>
>GT630-SL-1GD3-L, GeForce GT 630 Video Card, 1024MB, DDR3, PCIe-16
>
>Tim

Yes, that looks good.

Re: 8600GT or similar [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 24 Jun 2014 05:51:50 +1200, you wrote:

>On Mon, 23 Jun 2014 22:11:49 +1200, you wrote:

>>> as

>>> http://www.trademe.co.nz/computers/components/video-cards/pciexpress/auctio

>>> sure

>>> card
>>> and

>>> differences

>>> The relevant difference seems to be in the shaders - the 610 does not
>>> have enough of them, or they do not run fast enough. It looks like
>>> Nvidia has released a new version of 630 also, using GDDR5 instead of
>>> DDR3. Nvidia has a habit of re-using model numbers for different
>>> chipsets. The older DDR3 one should be fine. The GDDR5 one is likely
>>> overkill, but probably a better choice if you can get a silent one as
>>> it will likely use less power and get less hot than the DDR3 version.

>>So would something like this be OK?
>>
>>http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=423762
>>
>>GT630-SL-1GD3-L, GeForce GT 630 Video Card, 1024MB, DDR3, PCIe-16
>>
>>Tim
>
>Yes, that looks good.

Just be aware, if you have not used a silent card before, that the
heatsink sticks out into the next slot - so you lose the use of that
slot. The link on that web page to the Asus site gives the dimensions
and some good photos on the gallery tab.

Some of the more powerful fan cooled cards have the same problem.

Re: 8600GT or similar [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Jun 23, 2014 at 10:11 PM, Tim Stonehouse
<tim.stonehouse@gmail.com> wrote:

>> >used?

>> >cards, there were lots of bad electrolytic capacitors being used in all
>> >sorts of electronics, especially >computer components. It can be
>> > possible
>> >to replace them, if you are good at soldering.

>> >they have mostly already died from bad capacitors by now. Even if not in
>> >use, the capacitors still die.

>> >n-742513401.htm

>> >deinterlace modes. Of the current generation of silent cards, I am not
>> > sure
>> >if the 610 chipset will >actually do the full deinterlace, but the 6330
>> >should.

>> >having a fan, then a second hand Nvidia 220 is probably the lowest spec
>> > card
>> >that was made after the >era of bad capacitors and will still be working
>> > and
>> >be going to keep working. There were silent 220 cards made (I have one),
>> >but they are virtually never available second >hand.
>> >And of course fans do die too.
>> >
>> >Hi,
>> >
>> >I have an ASUS GT610 and get a little tearing at the top of the screen,
>> > do
>> >you think the GT630 should be fine as I am not clear of the spec
>> > differences
>> >- I need to build a second box?
>> >
>> >I see PB Tech have them for $98.90 inl gst.
>> >
>> >Cheers
>>
>> The relevant difference seems to be in the shaders - the 610 does not
>> have enough of them, or they do not run fast enough. It looks like
>> Nvidia has released a new version of 630 also, using GDDR5 instead of
>> DDR3. Nvidia has a habit of re-using model numbers for different
>> chipsets. The older DDR3 one should be fine. The GDDR5 one is likely
>> overkill, but probably a better choice if you can get a silent one as
>> it will likely use less power and get less hot than the DDR3 version.

> So would something like this be OK?
>
> http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=423762
>
> GT630-SL-1GD3-L, GeForce GT 630 Video Card, 1024MB, DDR3, PCIe-16

As long as you have room in your case for the heatsink, for sure.

Re: 8600GT or similar [ In reply to ]
On 24 June 2014 10:02, Nick Rout <nick.rout@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 23, 2014 at 10:11 PM, Tim Stonehouse
> <tim.stonehouse@gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > On 23 June 2014 11:07, Stephen Worthington <stephen_agent@jsw.gen.nz>
> wrote:

> being

> wanting

> 8600GT

> difficult,
> in

> http://www.trademe.co.nz/computers/components/video-cards/pciexpress/auctio

> full

> working
> one),
> cheaply.

> >> The relevant difference seems to be in the shaders - the 610 does not
> >> have enough of them, or they do not run fast enough. It looks like
> >> Nvidia has released a new version of 630 also, using GDDR5 instead of
> >> DDR3. Nvidia has a habit of re-using model numbers for different
> >> chipsets. The older DDR3 one should be fine. The GDDR5 one is likely
> >> overkill, but probably a better choice if you can get a silent one as
> >> it will likely use less power and get less hot than the DDR3 version.

> > So would something like this be OK?
> >
> > http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=423762
> >
> > GT630-SL-1GD3-L, GeForce GT 630 Video Card, 1024MB, DDR3, PCIe-16
> >

> As long as you have room in your case for the heatsink, for sure.
>
> > Tim

Yes, there is an empty slot.

Many thanks for the advise.

Tim
Re: 8600GT or similar [ In reply to ]
On 23 June 2014 09:07, Stephen Worthington <stephen_agent@jsw.gen.nz> wrote:

> The relevant difference seems to be in the shaders - the 610 does not
> have enough of them, or they do not run fast enough. It looks like
> Nvidia has released a new version of 630 also, using GDDR5 instead of
> DDR3. Nvidia has a habit of re-using model numbers for different

According to all reports I've seen
The 610 will do Advanced 2X just fine on all content and is a good
cheap video card that will do just fine in a htpc.

The 510 and 410 were too slow

Re: 8600GT or similar [ In reply to ]
On 19/07/14 18:43, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
> On 23 June 2014 09:07, Stephen Worthington <stephen_agent@jsw.gen.nz> wrote:
>
>> The relevant difference seems to be in the shaders - the 610 does not
>> have enough of them, or they do not run fast enough. It looks like
>> Nvidia has released a new version of 630 also, using GDDR5 instead of
>> DDR3. Nvidia has a habit of re-using model numbers for different
> According to all reports I've seen
> The 610 will do Advanced 2X just fine on all content and is a good
> cheap video card that will do just fine in a htpc.
>
> The 510 and 410 were too slow

Bonus - the 610 is available in a silent config too - you don't
appreciate missing the noise till its missing.

--
Criggie

http://criggie.org.nz/