Mailing List Archive

1 2  View All
Re: No HDMI sound output in desktop (Mythtv ok) [ In reply to ]
Paulgir wrote, On 17/06/14 18:29:
> Anyway, when they sell you that 3D TV that sounds like a duck quacking
> they can also sell you that 1000W per channel digital output
> stage,sound system.(funny,they never sound like 1000W.Todays watts
> must be smaller than they used to be)

You're confusing Imperial Watts (W) with Metric Wankers (also W)

Did you know the average sound output for a 50 strong brass band is
about 5 watts?

Doesn't sound like a lot, I do remember the Woolston (?) brass band
partaking in an experiment where the subjects were in the middle of a
circle, and the band were around the outside at a distance of about 10
metres.
I can say it put the "measuring scale" for audio speakers in perspective
for me!

--
Criggie

http://criggie.org.nz/

Re: No HDMI sound output in desktop (Mythtv ok) [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Jun 17, 2014 at 06:46:48PM +1200, Nick Rout wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 17, 2014 at 6:29 PM, Paulgir <paulgir@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Anyway, when they sell you that 3D TV that sounds like a duck quacking they
> > can also sell you that 1000W per channel digital output stage,sound
> > system.(funny,they never sound like 1000W.Todays watts must be smaller than
> > they used to be)
>
> Those are metric watts, commonly abbreviated to mW

:)

Is that 1000W peak music power? Probably means, will handle a 1000W peak
signal just before it fries, the sound quality has nothing to do with it. :-)

oppressing." --- Malcolm X

Re: No HDMI sound output in desktop (Mythtv ok) [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Jun 17, 2014 at 07:16:23PM +1200, Criggie wrote:
> Paulgir wrote, On 17/06/14 18:29:
> > Anyway, when they sell you that 3D TV that sounds like a duck quacking
> > they can also sell you that 1000W per channel digital output
> > stage,sound system.(funny,they never sound like 1000W.Todays watts
> > must be smaller than they used to be)
>
> You're confusing Imperial Watts (W) with Metric Wankers (also W)
>
> Did you know the average sound output for a 50 strong brass band is
> about 5 watts?

Have you got any sources. A watt is an electrical measurement, was it
fed through a microphone then measured with a meter? I assume you are
talking RMS.

Figures are normally given in db as far as human hearing is concerned,
but even that is deceptive as a db is a ratio. Then there are all the
different types of db: dbm, dbr, dbmO etc, etc.

E.g. you hear that a jet airplane has a noise level of 125db - is that
compared to silence? (I suppose air pressure has a lot to do with it.)

But I agree, a good 'honest' 10W amplifier is ample for most listening.

oppressing." --- Malcolm X

Re: No HDMI sound output in desktop (Mythtv ok) [ In reply to ]
On 18/06/2014, at 3:03 AM, Chris Bannister <cbannister@slingshot.co.nz> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 17, 2014 at 07:16:23PM +1200, Criggie wrote:
>> Paulgir wrote, On 17/06/14 18:29:
>>> Anyway, when they sell you that 3D TV that sounds like a duck quacking
>>> they can also sell you that 1000W per channel digital output
>>> stage,sound system.(funny,they never sound like 1000W.Todays watts
>>> must be smaller than they used to be)
>>
>> You're confusing Imperial Watts (W) with Metric Wankers (also W)
>>
>> Did you know the average sound output for a 50 strong brass band is
>> about 5 watts?
>
> Have you got any sources. A watt is an electrical measurement, was it
> fed through a microphone then measured with a meter? I assume you are
> talking RMS.

Nope. A Watt is power = Joules per second.
Re: No HDMI sound output in desktop (Mythtv ok) [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 17 Jun 2014 19:16:23 +1200, Criggie <criggie@criggie.org.nz> wrote:

> Paulgir wrote, On 17/06/14 18:29:
>> Anyway, when they sell you that 3D TV that sounds like a duck quacking
>> they can also sell you that 1000W per channel digital output
>> stage,sound system.(funny,they never sound like 1000W.Todays watts
>> must be smaller than they used to be)
>
> You're confusing Imperial Watts (W) with Metric Wankers (also W)
>
> Did you know the average sound output for a 50 strong brass band is
> about 5 watts?
>
> Doesn't sound like a lot, I do remember the Woolston (?) brass band
> partaking in an experiment where the subjects were in the middle of a
> circle, and the band were around the outside at a distance of about 10
> metres.
> I can say it put the "measuring scale" for audio speakers in perspective
> for me!

The watt is an SI(metric) unit

Re: No HDMI sound output in desktop (Mythtv ok) [ In reply to ]
On 19/06/14 07:34, Paulgir wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Jun 2014 19:16:23 +1200, Criggie <criggie@criggie.org.nz>
> wrote:
>> You're confusing Imperial Watts (W) with Metric Wankers (also W)
>>
> The watt is an SI(metric) unit

Yes - are you aware of the unit called facetioum?
It is used to measure sarcasm.

--
Criggie

http://criggie.org.nz/

Re: No HDMI sound output in desktop (Mythtv ok) [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 19 Jun 2014 07:41:52 +1200, criggie <criggie@criggie.org.nz> wrote:

> On 19/06/14 07:34, Paulgir wrote:
>> On Tue, 17 Jun 2014 19:16:23 +1200, Criggie <criggie@criggie.org.nz>
>> wrote:
>>> You're confusing Imperial Watts (W) with Metric Wankers (also W)
>>>
>> The watt is an SI(metric) unit
>
> Yes - are you aware of the unit called facetioum?
> It is used to measure sarcasm.

Is it SI?

Re: No HDMI sound output in desktop (Mythtv ok) [ In reply to ]
On 16 June 2014 23:47, Chris Bannister <cbannister@slingshot.co.nz> wrote:
>> This may not be the best configuration depending on your TV.
>> Few TVs pass anything other than stereo to their output.
>> So you miss out on all the bitstreaming goodness.
>>
>> PC->Amp->TV is more flexible
>
> The average high end stereo system will sound better than the speakers
> in your TV.

what has that got to do with anything I said in my answer?

obviously in either configuration : PC->TV->Amp or PC->Amp->TV, the TV
is used as screen only, and the Amp is for audio output

Except that in one case, all you'll get usually will be stereo at best.