Mailing List Archive

No HDMI sound output in desktop (Mythtv ok)
Hi all

I have been trying to get HDMI sound back for the Mythbuntu desktop by
modifying asound.conf.
It seems,looking at my notes that,

pcm.!default {
type hw
card 1
device 9
}

worked in the past but it does not now.

The command speaker-test -c 2 -D hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=3 Will give me
sound through the speakers.But speaker-test -c 2 won't and I get nothing
when using a browser or VLC.
I've tried different numbers for Device= and looked at lots of threads but
I'm not having much luck.One question: do I need to reboot after modifying
asound.conf?

Cheers Paul

Re: No HDMI sound output in desktop (Mythtv ok) [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 12 Jun 2014 11:52:32 +1200, Paulgir <paulgir@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I have been trying to get HDMI sound back for the Mythbuntu desktop by
> modifying asound.conf.
> It seems,looking at my notes that,
>
> pcm.!default {
> type hw
> card 1
> device 9
> }
>
> worked in the past but it does not now.
>
> The command speaker-test -c 2 -D hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=3 Will give me
> sound through the speakers.But speaker-test -c 2 won't and I get
> nothing
> when using a browser or VLC.
> I've tried different numbers for Device= and looked at lots of threads
> but
> I'm not having much luck.One question: do I need to reboot after
> modifying
> asound.conf?
>
> Cheers Paul

Any help?

Re: No HDMI sound output in desktop (Mythtv ok) [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 15 Jun 2014 13:55:31 +1200, you wrote:

>On Thu, 12 Jun 2014 11:52:32 +1200, Paulgir <paulgir@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Hi all
>>
>> I have been trying to get HDMI sound back for the Mythbuntu desktop by
>> modifying asound.conf.
>> It seems,looking at my notes that,
>>
>> pcm.!default {
>> type hw
>> card 1
>> device 9
>> }
>>
>> worked in the past but it does not now.
>>
>> The command speaker-test -c 2 -D hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=3 Will give me
>> sound through the speakers.But speaker-test -c 2 won't and I get
>> nothing
>> when using a browser or VLC.
>> I've tried different numbers for Device= and looked at lots of threads
>> but
>> I'm not having much luck.One question: do I need to reboot after
>> modifying
>> asound.conf?
>>
>> Cheers Paul
>

>Any help?

Have you checked to see if there is a mute or low volume control
setting in one of the mixers on that channel? On my laptop, I had to
use alsamixer and also a GUI Pulse Audio mixer to make my HDMI audio
work.

Re: No HDMI sound output in desktop (Mythtv ok) [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 15 Jun 2014 14:56:33 +1200, Stephen Worthington
<stephen_agent@jsw.gen.nz> wrote:

> On Sun, 15 Jun 2014 13:55:31 +1200, you wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 12 Jun 2014 11:52:32 +1200, Paulgir <paulgir@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>> Hi all
>>>
>>> I have been trying to get HDMI sound back for the Mythbuntu desktop by
>>> modifying asound.conf.
>>> It seems,looking at my notes that,
>>>
>>> pcm.!default {
>>> type hw
>>> card 1
>>> device 9
>>> }
>>>
>>> worked in the past but it does not now.
>>>
>>> The command speaker-test -c 2 -D hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=3 Will give me
>>> sound through the speakers.But speaker-test -c 2 won't and I get
>>> nothing
>>> when using a browser or VLC.
>>> I've tried different numbers for Device= and looked at lots of threads
>>> but
>>> I'm not having much luck.One question: do I need to reboot after
>>> modifying
>>> asound.conf?
>>>
>>> Cheers Paul
>>

>> Any help?
>
> Have you checked to see if there is a mute or low volume control
> setting in one of the mixers on that channel? On my laptop, I had to
> use alsamixer and also a GUI Pulse Audio mixer to make my HDMI audio
> work.

When I run alsamixer it looks like the volumes for 4 spdif outputs are at
00 (not MM)
But I can increase them as I can with the other outputs.
Paul

Re: No HDMI sound output in desktop (Mythtv ok) [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 15 Jun 2014 14:56:33 +1200, Stephen Worthington
<stephen_agent@jsw.gen.nz> wrote:

> On Sun, 15 Jun 2014 13:55:31 +1200, you wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 12 Jun 2014 11:52:32 +1200, Paulgir <paulgir@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>> Hi all
>>>
>>> I have been trying to get HDMI sound back for the Mythbuntu desktop by
>>> modifying asound.conf.
>>> It seems,looking at my notes that,
>>>
>>> pcm.!default {
>>> type hw
>>> card 1
>>> device 9
>>> }
>>>
>>> worked in the past but it does not now.
>>>
>>> The command speaker-test -c 2 -D hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=3 Will give me
>>> sound through the speakers.But speaker-test -c 2 won't and I get
>>> nothing
>>> when using a browser or VLC.
>>> I've tried different numbers for Device= and looked at lots of threads
>>> but
>>> I'm not having much luck.One question: do I need to reboot after
>>> modifying
>>> asound.conf?
>>>
>>> Cheers Paul
>>

>> Any help?
>
> Have you checked to see if there is a mute or low volume control
> setting in one of the mixers on that channel? On my laptop, I had to
> use alsamixer and also a GUI Pulse Audio mixer to make my HDMI audio
> work.

Edit:Sorry,typo:
When I run alsamixer it looks like the volumes for 4 spdif outputs are at
00 (not MM)
But I can't increase them as I can with the other outputs.
Paul

Re: No HDMI sound output in desktop (Mythtv ok) [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 15 Jun 2014 15:08:38 +1200, you wrote:

>On Sun, 15 Jun 2014 14:56:33 +1200, Stephen Worthington
><stephen_agent@jsw.gen.nz> wrote:

>>> Any help?
>>
>> Have you checked to see if there is a mute or low volume control
>> setting in one of the mixers on that channel? On my laptop, I had to
>> use alsamixer and also a GUI Pulse Audio mixer to make my HDMI audio
>> work.
>>
>Edit:Sorry,typo:
>When I run alsamixer it looks like the volumes for 4 spdif outputs are at
>00 (not MM)
>But I can't increase them as I can with the other outputs.
>Paul

00 is good. MM means muted. There should not be a volume control bar
above SPDIF outputs on a mixer as they do not have volume controls.
But of course they are affected by volume controls in the path to
them. Especially the pesky Pulse Audio - so now you need to install a
Pulse Audio mixer and check that. Recent versions of Mythbuntu do
install Pulse Audio, although it is not particularly apparent that
they have done it. I have heard it is possible to uninstall it, but
all I found I needed to do was use its mixer to unmute things and set
the volume settings to maximum.

Re: No HDMI sound output in desktop (Mythtv ok) [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Jun 15, 2014 at 3:48 PM, Stephen Worthington
<stephen_agent@jsw.gen.nz> wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Jun 2014 15:08:38 +1200, you wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 15 Jun 2014 14:56:33 +1200, Stephen Worthington
>><stephen_agent@jsw.gen.nz> wrote:

>>> Have you checked to see if there is a mute or low volume control
>>> setting in one of the mixers on that channel? On my laptop, I had to
>>> use alsamixer and also a GUI Pulse Audio mixer to make my HDMI audio
>>> work.
>>>
>>Edit:Sorry,typo:
>>When I run alsamixer it looks like the volumes for 4 spdif outputs are at
>>00 (not MM)
>>But I can't increase them as I can with the other outputs.
>>Paul
>
> 00 is good. MM means muted. There should not be a volume control bar
> above SPDIF outputs on a mixer as they do not have volume controls.
> But of course they are affected by volume controls in the path to
> them. Especially the pesky Pulse Audio - so now you need to install a
> Pulse Audio mixer and check that. Recent versions of Mythbuntu do
> install Pulse Audio, although it is not particularly apparent that
> they have done it. I have heard it is possible to uninstall it, but
> all I found I needed to do was use its mixer to unmute things and set
> the volume settings to maximum.

My recommendation sis to get rid of pulse on a media PC. It is just evil.

Re: No HDMI sound output in desktop (Mythtv ok) [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 15 Jun 2014 15:48:25 +1200, Stephen Worthington
<stephen_agent@jsw.gen.nz> wrote:

> On Sun, 15 Jun 2014 15:08:38 +1200, you wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 15 Jun 2014 14:56:33 +1200, Stephen Worthington
>> <stephen_agent@jsw.gen.nz> wrote:

>>> Have you checked to see if there is a mute or low volume control
>>> setting in one of the mixers on that channel? On my laptop, I had to
>>> use alsamixer and also a GUI Pulse Audio mixer to make my HDMI audio
>>> work.
>>>
>> Edit:Sorry,typo:
>> When I run alsamixer it looks like the volumes for 4 spdif outputs are
>> at
>> 00 (not MM)
>> But I can't increase them as I can with the other outputs.
>> Paul
>
> 00 is good. MM means muted. There should not be a volume control bar
> above SPDIF outputs on a mixer as they do not have volume controls.
> But of course they are affected by volume controls in the path to
> them. Especially the pesky Pulse Audio - so now you need to install a
> Pulse Audio mixer and check that. Recent versions of Mythbuntu do
> install Pulse Audio, although it is not particularly apparent that
> they have done it. I have heard it is possible to uninstall it, but
> all I found I needed to do was use its mixer to unmute things and set
> the volume settings to maximum.

Oh, I didn't realise I needed a pulse audio mixer as well as alsa.

Re: No HDMI sound output in desktop (Mythtv ok) [ In reply to ]

>>> Edit:Sorry,typo:
>>> When I run alsamixer it looks like the volumes for 4 spdif outputs
>>> are at
>>> 00 (not MM)
>>> But I can't increase them as I can with the other outputs.
>>> Paul
>>
>> 00 is good. MM means muted. There should not be a volume control bar
>> above SPDIF outputs on a mixer as they do not have volume controls.
>> But of course they are affected by volume controls in the path to
>> them. Especially the pesky Pulse Audio - so now you need to install a
>> Pulse Audio mixer and check that. Recent versions of Mythbuntu do
>> install Pulse Audio, although it is not particularly apparent that
>> they have done it. I have heard it is possible to uninstall it, but
>> all I found I needed to do was use its mixer to unmute things and set
>> the volume settings to maximum.
>

> My recommendation sis to get rid of pulse on a media PC. It is just evil.

What do you use as an alternative to pulse ,Nick?

Re: No HDMI sound output in desktop (Mythtv ok) [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Jun 15, 2014 at 4:04 PM, Paulgir <paulgir@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> 00 is good. MM means muted. There should not be a volume control bar
>>> above SPDIF outputs on a mixer as they do not have volume controls.
>>> But of course they are affected by volume controls in the path to
>>> them. Especially the pesky Pulse Audio - so now you need to install a
>>> Pulse Audio mixer and check that. Recent versions of Mythbuntu do
>>> install Pulse Audio, although it is not particularly apparent that
>>> they have done it. I have heard it is possible to uninstall it, but
>>> all I found I needed to do was use its mixer to unmute things and set
>>> the volume settings to maximum.
>>

>> My recommendation sis to get rid of pulse on a media PC. It is just evil.
>

> What do you use as an alternative to pulse ,Nick?

alsa provides perfectly good audio capabilities until you want system
sounds or other applications' audio mixed with your myth/xbmc output.
And frankly, for a dedicated media PC, why would you?

Also pulse doesn't do HD audio.

Re: No HDMI sound output in desktop (Mythtv ok) [ In reply to ]
On 15 June 2014 14:44, Nick Rout <nick.rout@gmail.com> wrote:

> alsa provides perfectly good audio capabilities until you want system
> sounds or other applications' audio mixed with your myth/xbmc output.
> And frankly, for a dedicated media PC, why would you?

ALSA provides "dmix" devices, which will do just that: mix various
sources into one output..

no need for pulse there either

Re: No HDMI sound output in desktop (Mythtv ok) [ In reply to ]

>>> My recommendation sis to get rid of pulse on a media PC. It is just
>>> evil.
>>

>> What do you use as an alternative to pulse ,Nick?
>
> alsa provides perfectly good audio capabilities until you want system
> sounds or other applications' audio mixed with your myth/xbmc output.
> And frankly, for a dedicated media PC, why would you?
>
> Also pulse doesn't do HD audio.

I wanted to watch an "On demand" program via the desktop browser.Is there
a way to do this in MythTV that I have not cottoned onto yet?I have since
found out,though,that TVNZ's on demand viewer does not work for Linux
browsers since a recent Adobe Flash update.

Re: No HDMI sound output in desktop (Mythtv ok) [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 16 Jun 2014 04:39:36 +1200, Jean-Yves Avenard
<jyavenard@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 15 June 2014 14:44, Nick Rout <nick.rout@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> alsa provides perfectly good audio capabilities until you want system
>> sounds or other applications' audio mixed with your myth/xbmc output.
>> And frankly, for a dedicated media PC, why would you?
>
> ALSA provides "dmix" devices, which will do just that: mix various
> sources into one output..
>
> no need for pulse there either

So are you saying that if I choose the correct dmix device listed via:
aplay -L on my system I can get desktop sound to work via HDMI output?For
instance,something such as:
pcm.!default {
type dmix
card 1
device 9
}
in asound.conf.I think I may have tried those variations,but it is
possible that I didn't.

Re: No HDMI sound output in desktop (Mythtv ok) [ In reply to ]
It's been several years since I looked at my settings but in case these are
of any help here are my settings (BTW I don't know if theses are great
settings or not, they work well enough for me at the moment though)

On my server my asound.conf is simply (and I think I have sound going
through hdmi but for historic reasons there's two sets of speakers hooked
up)

pcm.!default {
type plug
slave {
pcm "hw:1,7"
rate 48000
}
}

My front end's asound.conf (which definitely uses HDMI) is
pcm.dmixer {
type dmix
ipc_key 1024
ipc_key_add_uid false
ipc_perm 0660
slave {
pcm "hw:0,3"
rate 48000
channels 2
format S32_LE
period_time 0
period_size 1024
buffer_time 0
buffer_size 4096
}
}

pcm.!default {
type plug
slave.pcm "dmixer"
}

Re: No HDMI sound output in desktop (Mythtv ok) [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 16 Jun 2014 07:34:14 +1200, Mark Kendall <markk@kc.net.nz> wrote:

> It's been several years since I looked at my settings but in case these
> are
> of any help here are my settings (BTW I don't know if theses are great
> settings or not, they work well enough for me at the moment though)
>
> On my server my asound.conf is simply (and I think I have sound going
> through hdmi but for historic reasons there's two sets of speakers hooked
> up)
>
> pcm.!default {
> type plug
> slave {
> pcm "hw:1,7"
> rate 48000
> }
> }
>
> My front end's asound.conf (which definitely uses HDMI) is
> pcm.dmixer {
> type dmix
> ipc_key 1024
> ipc_key_add_uid false
> ipc_perm 0660
> slave {
> pcm "hw:0,3"
> rate 48000
> channels 2
> format S32_LE
> period_time 0
> period_size 1024
> buffer_time 0
> buffer_size 4096
> }
> }
>
> pcm.!default {
> type plug
> slave.pcm "dmixer"
> }

Thanks,I will try some variation of that.I have HDMI going to the TV then
sound going from that to a high end stereo system.

Re: No HDMI sound output in desktop (Mythtv ok) [ In reply to ]
On 16 June 2014 05:50, Paulgir <paulgir@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks,I will try some variation of that.I have HDMI going to the TV then
> sound going from that to a high end stereo system.

This may not be the best configuration depending on your TV.
Few TVs pass anything other than stereo to their output.
So you miss out on all the bitstreaming goodness.

PC->Amp->TV is more flexible

Re: No HDMI sound output in desktop (Mythtv ok) [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Jun 16, 2014 at 10:47:51AM +1000, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
> On 16 June 2014 05:50, Paulgir <paulgir@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Thanks,I will try some variation of that.I have HDMI going to the TV then
> > sound going from that to a high end stereo system.
>
> This may not be the best configuration depending on your TV.
> Few TVs pass anything other than stereo to their output.
> So you miss out on all the bitstreaming goodness.
>
> PC->Amp->TV is more flexible

The average high end stereo system will sound better than the speakers
in your TV.

oppressing." --- Malcolm X

Re: No HDMI sound output in desktop (Mythtv ok) [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 16 Jun 2014 12:47:51 +1200, Jean-Yves Avenard
<jyavenard@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 16 June 2014 05:50, Paulgir <paulgir@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Thanks,I will try some variation of that.I have HDMI going to the TV
>> then
>> sound going from that to a high end stereo system.
>
> This may not be the best configuration depending on your TV.
> Few TVs pass anything other than stereo to their output.
> So you miss out on all the bitstreaming goodness.
>
> PC->Amp->TV is more flexible

I have a pure 350 real rms watt stereo system.I built the o/p amp myself.I
prefer it to so called multichannel systems and their dodgey output power
claims.

Re: No HDMI sound output in desktop (Mythtv ok) [ In reply to ]
On 17/06/14 01:47, Chris Bannister wrote:
> The average high end stereo system will sound better than the speakers in your TV.

Average high-end ? As opposed to good high-end?

That's not a mixed metaphor, but what is it?

--
Criggie

http://criggie.org.nz/

Re: No HDMI sound output in desktop (Mythtv ok) [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Jun 17, 2014 at 7:53 AM, criggie <criggie@criggie.org.nz> wrote:

> On 17/06/14 01:47, Chris Bannister wrote:
>
>> The average high end stereo system will sound better than the speakers in
>> your TV.
>>

> Average high-end ? As opposed to good high-end?
>
> That's not a mixed metaphor, but what is it?

"High-end" meaning not the ones that advertise themselves as "1200
Watts!!!! O_o". I'm not sure what else you'd call them, maybe "component
systems"? Though even reasonable sub-sat systems will sound a lot better
than most TVs.

Cheers,
Steve
Re: No HDMI sound output in desktop (Mythtv ok) [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Jun 17, 2014 at 1:47 AM, Chris Bannister
<cbannister@slingshot.co.nz> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 16, 2014 at 10:47:51AM +1000, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
>> On 16 June 2014 05:50, Paulgir <paulgir@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > Thanks,I will try some variation of that.I have HDMI going to the TV then
>> > sound going from that to a high end stereo system.
>>
>> This may not be the best configuration depending on your TV.
>> Few TVs pass anything other than stereo to their output.
>> So you miss out on all the bitstreaming goodness.
>>
>> PC->Amp->TV is more flexible
>
> The average high end stereo system will sound better than the speakers
> in your TV.

The average transistor radio from the 1970s tuned slightly off an AM
station broadcasting from the Cook Islands will sound better than the
speakers in most modern TVs.

Re: No HDMI sound output in desktop (Mythtv ok) [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Jun 17, 2014 at 6:31 AM, Paulgir <paulgir@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Jun 2014 12:47:51 +1200, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On 16 June 2014 05:50, Paulgir <paulgir@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks,I will try some variation of that.I have HDMI going to the TV then
>>> sound going from that to a high end stereo system.
>>

>> This may not be the best configuration depending on your TV.
>> Few TVs pass anything other than stereo to their output.
>> So you miss out on all the bitstreaming goodness.
>>
>> PC->Amp->TV is more flexible
>

> I have a pure 350 real rms watt stereo system.I built the o/p amp myself.I
> prefer it to so called multichannel systems and their dodgey output power
> claims.

Personally I find well done surround sound one of the joys of watching
modern films (and TV for that matter). Just because a system is 5.1 or
7.1 doesn't make it poor quality.

Of course like all effects it can be overdone or poorly done.

For a good example, try the scene from 'Behind Enemy Lines' where the
missile shoots down the fighter plane. It's only 5.1 (as opposed to
7.1) but is just magic on a good surround system. Do warn the rest of
the family first.

Re: No HDMI sound output in desktop (Mythtv ok) [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 17 Jun 2014 18:13:20 +1200, Nick Rout <nick.rout@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 17, 2014 at 1:47 AM, Chris Bannister
> <cbannister@slingshot.co.nz> wrote:

>>> then
>>>
>>> This may not be the best configuration depending on your TV.
>>> Few TVs pass anything other than stereo to their output.
>>> So you miss out on all the bitstreaming goodness.
>>>
>>> PC->Amp->TV is more flexible
>>
>> The average high end stereo system will sound better than the speakers
>> in your TV.
>

> The average transistor radio from the 1970s tuned slightly off an AM
> station broadcasting from the Cook Islands will sound better than the
> speakers in most modern TVs.

The cows over my back fence sound better even when they are releasing
flatus.I did my apprenticeship with Autocrat Sanyo,it's not just modern
TVs.TVs have never had good audio systems.Even console style TVs whose
cabinet had the opportunity to incorporate good audio design never took
advantage of it.And today's thinner is better trend does nothing to allow
for proper internal speaker design.
Anyway, when they sell you that 3D TV that sounds like a duck quacking
they can also sell you that 1000W per channel digital output stage,sound
system.(funny,they never sound like 1000W.Todays watts must be smaller
than they used to be)

Re: No HDMI sound output in desktop (Mythtv ok) [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Jun 17, 2014 at 6:29 PM, Paulgir <paulgir@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Jun 2014 18:13:20 +1200, Nick Rout <nick.rout@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Jun 17, 2014 at 1:47 AM, Chris Bannister
>> <cbannister@slingshot.co.nz> wrote:

>>> The average high end stereo system will sound better than the speakers
>>> in your TV.
>>

>> The average transistor radio from the 1970s tuned slightly off an AM
>> station broadcasting from the Cook Islands will sound better than the
>> speakers in most modern TVs.
>>
> The cows over my back fence sound better even when they are releasing
> flatus.I did my apprenticeship with Autocrat Sanyo,it's not just modern
> TVs.TVs have never had good audio systems.Even console style TVs whose
> cabinet had the opportunity to incorporate good audio design never took
> advantage of it.And today's thinner is better trend does nothing to allow
> for proper internal speaker design.
> Anyway, when they sell you that 3D TV that sounds like a duck quacking they
> can also sell you that 1000W per channel digital output stage,sound
> system.(funny,they never sound like 1000W.Todays watts must be smaller than
> they used to be)

Those are metric watts, commonly abbreviated to mW

:-)

Re: No HDMI sound output in desktop (Mythtv ok) [ In reply to ]
On 17/06/2014 6:46 pm, Nick Rout wrote:
>> The cows over my back fence sound better even when they are releasing
>> flatus.I did my apprenticeship with Autocrat Sanyo,it's not just

Our TV sounds fine - but then I did do all this as well. I am sure it
helped, and it was a lot cheaper than audiophile cables.

Didn't improve the quality of the programmes, though.

http://pwbelectronics.co.uk/Free_Techniques/Free_Techniques.html

--
Don Robertson
don@robertson.net.nz