should be. When i press the up/down button on the remote, then they all reappear. anyone else seeing this?

--
Mark van Dijk

Re: channel icons [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 2011-02-10 at 22:03 +1300, Mark van Dijk wrote:
> I had them all nicely set up. This morning, i found that the icon
> file locations for all channels had been reset back to the default
> icons in /home/mythtv/.mythtv/channels/*. I suspect that it is
> the tv_grab_nz-py script and mythfilldatabase that is doing this. Does
> that sound reasonable? If so, can I stop the icon file location for
> each channel from being updated?

Remove the <icon> from the <channel> in the XML file that's download.
Either than or just use the existing file names and put your new icons
in the /home/mythtv/.mythtv/channels/ directory.

hads
--
http://nicegear.co.nz
New Zealand's Open Source Hardware Supplier

Re: Channel Icons [ In reply to ]
Nice to have, just not sure that you can stick them on github - they
not being "open" - someone owns the copyright and other intellectual
property in those logos.

Pathetic I know, but it might be better to be under rather than in
front of the radar on that.

Re: Channel Icons [ In reply to ]
On 20/05/14 14:06, Nick Rout wrote:
> Nice to have, just not sure that you can stick them on github - they
> not being "open" - someone owns the copyright and other intellectual
> property in those logos.
>
> Pathetic I know, but it might be better to be under rather than in
> front of the radar on that.
That is a good point. I will put them there anyway. They are all
available online already. They have all been changed by more than 5%. I
consider it fair use. Also, I have no idea of another host indexed by
Google that is likely to stay around for a long time.

Re: Channel Icons [ In reply to ]
On 20/05/14 14:11, Aaron Pelly wrote:
> That is a good point. I will put them there anyway. They are all
> available online already. They have all been changed by more than 5%. I
> consider it fair use. Also, I have no idea of another host indexed by
> Google that is likely to stay around for a long time.

I was going to mention it but couldn't be bothered getting into it, but
yeah, we've seen how much companies can be haven't we :)

I guess a github repo can be cloned and survived by everyone.

hads
--
http://nice.net.nz

Re: Channel Icons [ In reply to ]
http://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp?topicid=30483

On 20 May 2014 14:17, Hadley Rich <hads@nice.net.nz> wrote:

> On 20/05/14 14:11, Aaron Pelly wrote:
>
>> That is a good point. I will put them there anyway. They are all
>> available online already. They have all been changed by more than 5%. I
>> consider it fair use. Also, I have no idea of another host indexed by
>> Google that is likely to stay around for a long time.
>>

> I was going to mention it but couldn't be bothered getting into it, but
> yeah, we've seen how much companies can be haven't we :)
>
> I guess a github repo can be cloned and survived by everyone.
>
> hads
> --
> http://nice.net.nz

"Weekends don't count unless you spend them doing something completely
pointless. " - Calvin
Re: Channel Icons [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 20 May 2014 21:28:57 +1200, you wrote:

>On 20 May 2014 12:36:12 PM NZST, Aaron Pelly <apelly@monkeymasters.co.nz> wrote:
>>The channel icons from lyngsat are shit. I looked online, but only
>>found
>>one complete set. These were also marginal at best. So I started with
>>the complete set and replaced or enhanced the ones that were at all
>>interesting to me. I'm inclined to stick them on github. Maybe there is
>>
>>a good set out there already; I didn't particularly want to ask,
>>because
>>I'm already overwhelming the list. As usual, I have a couple of
>>questions:
>>
>>There is a documented size for myth channel logos, but all themes scale
>>
>>them to fit anyway. Terra uses 4:3 proportions and some (most?) use
>>1:1.
>>It is easy to make both. The question is what to name them. At the
>>moment the names are a bit messy, but it might make them easier to use
>>if they had names that myth was expecting.
>>
>>Have I wasted my time?
>>What is the myth channel icon naming convention?

>You mention lyngsat so I guess you source your tv from sat. I am a dvb-t consumer so I have taken a different approach.
>
>The mheg stream contains icon images which are used ( I assume ) by the freeview guide displays.
>
>So as I am already grabbing my epg from mheg I also grab the icon images and then process them with a little ImageMagick script. As for naming convention i decided on using the mheg service id so the TV One icon is called 1200.png.
>
>I see the benefits of my approach as follows:
>
>I automatically get icons for all new channels
>I automatically get any changed icons if a chanel rebrands
>
>I feel it is a total soution for dvb-t users but does not address sky channels or those people that use freeview sat.
>
>Tony

That is an excellent trick. What software are you using to grab the
icons?

Re: Channel Icons [ In reply to ]
On 20/05/2014, at 9:28 PM, hoiho.nz@gmail.com wrote:

> On 20 May 2014 12:36:12 PM NZST, Aaron Pelly <apelly@monkeymasters.co.nz> wrote:
>> The channel icons from lyngsat are shit. I looked online, but only
>> found
>> one complete set. These were also marginal at best. So I started with
>> the complete set and replaced or enhanced the ones that were at all
>> interesting to me. I'm inclined to stick them on github. Maybe there is
>>
>> a good set out there already; I didn't particularly want to ask,
>> because
>> I'm already overwhelming the list. As usual, I have a couple of
>> questions:
>>
>> There is a documented size for myth channel logos, but all themes scale
>>
>> them to fit anyway. Terra uses 4:3 proportions and some (most?) use
>> 1:1.
>> It is easy to make both. The question is what to name them. At the
>> moment the names are a bit messy, but it might make them easier to use
>> if they had names that myth was expecting.
>>
>> Have I wasted my time?
>> What is the myth channel icon naming convention?

> You mention lyngsat so I guess you source your tv from sat. I am a dvb-t consumer so I have taken a different approach.
>
> The mheg stream contains icon images which are used ( I assume ) by the freeview guide displays.
>
> So as I am already grabbing my epg from mheg I also grab the icon images and then process them with a little ImageMagick script. As for naming convention i decided on using the mheg service id so the TV One icon is called 1200.png.
>
> I see the benefits of my approach as follows:
>
> I automatically get icons for all new channels
> I automatically get any changed icons if a chanel rebrands
>
> I feel it is a total soution for dvb-t users but does not address sky channels or those people that use freeview sat.
>
> Tony

More info please on how you extracted the MHEG icons. Sounds like something I might include in a future (later when I have spare time) update of mhegepgsnoop.

David
Re: Channel Icons [ In reply to ]
On 20/05/14 21:28, hoiho.nz@gmail.com wrote:

> You mention lyngsat so I guess you source your tv from sat. I am a dvb-t consumer so I have taken a different approach.
>
> The mheg stream contains icon images which are used ( I assume ) by the freeview guide displays.
Amazing! Where did you find this information?

> So as I am already grabbing my epg from mheg I also grab the icon images and then process them with a little ImageMagick script. As for naming convention i decided on using the mheg service id so the TV One icon is called 1200.png.
Source?

Please?

Aaron.

Re: Channel Icons [ In reply to ]
I've been using the mheg data streams to obtain channel listing and icons.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/mheg2xmltv/
There is a stream for DVB-T and DVB-S.
I use service id 1200 for DVB-T and 1035 for DVB-S. (no surprise really).
Be warned there is a reasonable amount of setup work to get this to play
nice with mythtv.
Familiarity with shell scripting mandatory.
Re: Channel Icons [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 2014-05-20 at 21:28 +1200, hoiho.nz@gmail.com wrote:

> You mention lyngsat so I guess you source your tv from sat. I am a dvb-t consumer so I have taken a different approach.
>
> The mheg stream contains icon images which are used ( I assume ) by the freeview guide displays.
>
> So as I am already grabbing my epg from mheg I also grab the icon images and then process them with a little ImageMagick script. As for naming convention i decided on using the mheg service id so the TV One icon is called 1200.png.
>
> I see the benefits of my approach as follows:
>
> I automatically get icons for all new channels
> I automatically get any changed icons if a chanel rebrands
>
> I feel it is a total soution for dvb-t users but does not address sky channels or those people that use freeview sat.
>
> Tony

That is neat. Would you be willing to share your code/script?

Cheers
Bruce

Re: Channel Icons [ In reply to ]

>> You mention lyngsat so I guess you source your tv from sat. I am a dvb-t consumer so I have taken a different approach.
>>
>> The mheg stream contains icon images which are used ( I assume ) by the freeview guide displays.
>>
>> So as I am already grabbing my epg from mheg I also grab the icon images and then process them with a little ImageMagick script. As for naming convention i decided on using the mheg service id so the TV One icon is called 1200.png.
>>
>> I see the benefits of my approach as follows:
>>
>> I automatically get icons for all new channels
>> I automatically get any changed icons if a chanel rebrands
>>
>> I feel it is a total soution for dvb-t users but does not address sky channels or those people that use freeview sat.
>>
>> Tony
>
> That is an excellent trick. What software are you using to grab the
> icons?

OK ... A lot more interest than I had anticipated

Before I start here is a link to a pair of directories that contain the
freeview images grabbed from the MHEG stream and the icon images I have
created ... best to make sure you are happy with the end result
before you waste any time :-)

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8qhgulvsgk6rg9x/AAAulIpjftFOwDQIlUcnG9Uta

Now just a little history ... back in 2011 I wrote a small perl proc as
a proof of concept for grabbing the MHEG EPG data and parse it. At the
time I could not spare enough time to the effort and SolarVox took the
initiative and eventually produced and announced the MHEG2XMLTV project
on SourceForge.

So far so good but I always thought there could be a better
implementation and have been quietly working on my original idea (Which
is a work in Progress).

I use rb-download to actually grab all the data in the MHEG Carosel and
store it on the local pc. This choise is not without it's Issues:
A) The latest source as downloaded from sourceforge will not compile and
the raised bug is marked "Will Not Be Fixed". The bug report however
gives a work around and I have patched the source so it compiles and
runs at least in Xububtu 12.04. I have not tried it in 14.04 yet.

If anyone decides to go this route I will provide a copy of my patched
version.

B) rb-download was not written to be run in an unattended scenario and
has to be cancelled ... not the best when we want to run via cron at
3:00am.

So I have written a wrapper for rb-download (in Perl which has been my
language of choice for a long time and I am too old to devote enough
time to learn Python)

In essence the wrapper does the following:

1) Determines the most suitable physical tuner to use for grabbing by
querying tuner status and scheduled recordings looking for a tuner that
can be guaranteed to remain in a predictable state of doing nothing or
recording a programme for at least the next 200 secs.

2} Having made that decision it schedules the execution of rb-download
in a separate thread and then monitors the files created by rb-download.

3) When all required files are on disk (which takes less than 60 secs
on my system) the master thread kills the rb-download thread and then
cleans up.

My experience with the above process is very good but in the last 18
months there have been 2 instances where the processing has gone awry
and I have not yet been able to trace the reason.

I am currently thinking of implementing a watchdog timer to cancel the
whole job if it exceeds 180 secs.

In the context of grabbing the freeview icons we are finished. Just
remains to run some ImageMagick to reformat the captured images to what
we want.

I am more than happy to share the code I have developed but need a day
or two to cleanup some of the uglier stuff that I buried in there as I
was in a rush at times.

Perhaps people wanting to share the code could message me off-list and I
will get back to them by end of the week.

Regards

Tony

Re: Channel Icons [ In reply to ]
On 21/05/2014 16:45, Tony Sauri wrote:
> [...]
> secs on my system) the master thread kills the rb-download thread and
> then cleans up.
>
> My experience with the above process is very good but in the last 18
> months there have been 2 instances where the processing has gone awry
> and I have not yet been able to trace the reason.
>
> I am currently thinking of implementing a watchdog timer to cancel
> the whole job if it exceeds 180 secs.
>
> In the context of grabbing the freeview icons we are finished. Just
> remains to run some ImageMagick to reformat the captured images to
> what we want.
>
> I am more than happy to share the code I have developed but need a
> day or two to cleanup some of the uglier stuff that I buried in there
> as I was in a rush at times.
>
> Perhaps people wanting to share the code could message me off-list
> and I will get back to them by end of the week.

Thanks for the detailed explanation Tony. I'm in no hurry. I must have
another look at the stuff rb-download downloads to see if I can figure
out where the icons hide in the MHEG data. Not going to happen any time
soon given other commitments. :)

Re: Channel Icons [ In reply to ]
On 21 May 2014 18:06, <dmoo1790@ihug.co.nz> wrote:

> Thanks for the detailed explanation Tony. I'm in no hurry. I must have
> another look at the stuff rb-download downloads to see if I can figure out
> where the icons hide in the MHEG data. Not going to happen any time soon
> given other commitments. :)

On my system they are in

mheg/services/1200/epg/pngs/

Brendan
Re: Channel Icons [ In reply to ]
On 21/05/2014 20:11, Brendan Dacre wrote:
> On 21 May 2014 18:06, wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the detailed explanation Tony. Im in no hurry. I must
>> have another look at the stuff rb-download downloads to see if I can
>> figure out where the icons hide in the MHEG data. Not going to
>> happen any time soon given other commitments. :)
>
> On my system they are in
>
> mheg/services/1200/epg/pngs/
>
> Brendan

Thanks but what I meant was where they lurk in the raw bitstream which
I read directly in mhegepgsnoop. I guess where rb-download stores them
might be a clue.

Re: Channel Icons [ In reply to ]
On 21/05/14 16:45, Tony Sauri wrote:

> Before I start here is a link to a pair of directories that contain
> the freeview images grabbed from the MHEG stream and the icon images I
> have created ... best to make sure you are happy with the end
> result before you waste any time :-)
>
> https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8qhgulvsgk6rg9x/AAAulIpjftFOwDQIlUcnG9Uta

This is technically very cool, and interesting! Sadly, they're tiny. I
don't actually have a TV. I use the hi-res monitor at my lounge desk. I
presume they look OK at 1920x1080 via a Freeview box for Joe Public.

Re: Channel Icons [ In reply to ]
On 13/07/14 09:10, Curtis Walker wrote:
> These are great! Thanks for the updated logos - very nice to have 'em
> so nicely packaged all in one place.
>
> What aspect ratio (4:3 or 1:1) do you recommend for the mythbuntu
> theme (on a 16:9 display) ?
Try 4:3

They have the same names, so after you're set up it's a simple matter to
copy over the top with the other aspect ratio if you change themes.

Re: Channel Icons [ In reply to ]
On 13 July 2014 09:17, Aaron Pelly <apelly@monkeymasters.co.nz> wrote:
> On 13/07/14 09:10, Curtis Walker wrote:
>>
>> These are great! Thanks for the updated logos - very nice to have 'em
>> so nicely packaged all in one place.
>>
>> What aspect ratio (4:3 or 1:1) do you recommend for the mythbuntu
>> theme (on a 16:9 display) ?
>
> Try 4:3
>
> They have the same names, so after you're set up it's a simple matter to
> copy over the top with the other aspect ratio if you change themes.

Nice & easy - thanks.

BTW, there's no an icon for radio new zealand concert in there :)

Re: Channel Icons [ In reply to ]
On 13 Jul 2014 11:35, "Curtis Walker" <sultanoswing@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 13 July 2014 09:17, Aaron Pelly <apelly@monkeymasters.co.nz> wrote:
> > On 13/07/14 09:10, Curtis Walker wrote:
> >>
> >> These are great! Thanks for the updated logos - very nice to have 'em
> >> so nicely packaged all in one place.
> >>
> >> What aspect ratio (4:3 or 1:1) do you recommend for the mythbuntu
> >> theme (on a 16:9 display) ?
> >
> > Try 4:3
> >
> > They have the same names, so after you're set up it's a simple matter to
> > copy over the top with the other aspect ratio if you change themes.

> Nice & easy - thanks.
>
> BTW, there's no an icon for radio new zealand concert in there :)

Didn't know anyone listened to it :)
Most of the regional ones are missing too.

I might get around to making one. Unless you beat me to it.
Re: Channel Icons [ In reply to ]
On 13/07/14 11:35, Curtis Walker wrote:
> On 13 July 2014 09:17, Aaron Pelly <apelly@monkeymasters.co.nz> wrote:
>> On 13/07/14 09:10, Curtis Walker wrote:
>>> These are great! Thanks for the updated logos - very nice to have 'em so nicely packaged all in one place.
>>> What aspect ratio (4:3 or 1:1) do you recommend for the mythbuntu theme (on a 16:9 display) ?
>> Try 4:3
>> They have the same names, so after you're set up it's a simple matter to
>> copy over the top with the other aspect ratio if you change themes.
> Nice & easy - thanks.
> BTW, there's no an icon for radio new zealand concert in there :)

I realised in this thread that I really don't care what channel a
programme is broadcast on. With mythtv, its actually irrelevant to the
end user.

--
Criggie

http://criggie.org.nz/

Re: Channel Icons [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Jul 13, 2014 at 12:42 PM, criggie <criggie@criggie.org.nz> wrote:

> I realised in this thread that I really don't care what channel a
> programme is broadcast on. With mythtv, its actually irrelevant to the
> end user.

Yep. I realised years ago when some co-workers where talking about what was
on which channel and although I watched most of the shows they were talking
about I had no idea what channel they were on.

Cheers,
Steve
Re: Channel Icons [ In reply to ]
On 13/07/14 12:42, criggie wrote:
> On 13/07/14 11:35, Curtis Walker wrote:
>>> Try 4:3
>>> They have the same names, so after you're set up it's a simple
>>> matter to
>>> copy over the top with the other aspect ratio if you change themes.
>> Nice & easy - thanks.
>> BTW, there's no an icon for radio new zealand concert in there :)
>
> I realised in this thread that I really don't care what channel a
> programme is broadcast on. With mythtv, its actually irrelevant to
> the end user.

Yes. It's for the conversations. Not the television.

Re: Channel Icons [ In reply to ]
>Yes. It's for the conversations. Not the television.

I've had people say to me 'What on earth were you doing up at that time
of the morning?!!'
when talking about a program, blissfully unaware of air time, channel,
recording day or date.

I DO have trouble when folks say "Have you seen that ad where..' and of
course I'm totally in
the dark because we rarely see advertisements on TV these days. It's
such a novelty
when we go somewhere else and have to watch the ads. But a PAIN when you
want
to skip back because someone talked over a piece of dialogue!

The WAF dictates the auto skip of commercials rewinds 10s so we can
catch the 'house-ad'
at the end of each commercial break - so we know of any upcoming new
programmes tto
record.

Noel