Also, my video is kinda choppy anything I can do to improve proformance
would be a great help.

I have
1.7 Ghz P4
256 Megs DDR RAM
WinTV card.
Radeon 7500 64 Meg DDR Videocard.
SuSE 8.0
Re: small problems with mythtv [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday 07 August 2002 12:34 pm, griffenjam wrote:
> After a while I finally got mythtv working, but I still have a couple
> problems. I read through the archive and couldn't find anything that
> helped.
>
> First, when watching live TV I can't change the channel. If I use the
> numpad the number show up on the screen, but nothing happens. If I use
> the arrow keys the picture freezes and I have to kill mythtv to close
> it.

Sounds like your database of program/channel information is empty.

> Also, my mouse doesn't show up in the UI, is that normal?

Yup. Keyboard/remote control only. Arrow keys to move around, space/enter to
select, escape to go back.

> And lastly, when I press the button to schedual a recording the main
> menu goes away, but no other window comes up.
> The program doesn't crash (it is still running in the terminal).

Database is definately empty or not setup right. So, I'd make sure that xmltv
is setup, and filldata ran without any major errors.

> Also, my video is kinda choppy anything I can do to improve proformance
> would be a great help.

_Might_ be the video card, as I've read that the Xv support for more recent
radeon cards is kinda halfway there. Do you get similar performance with
movie players using xv as an output device?

RE: small problems with mythtv [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday 07 August 2002 12:34 pm, griffenjam wrote:
>> After a while I finally got mythtv working, but I still have a couple

>> problems. I read through the archive and couldn't find anything that
>> helped.
>>
>> First, when watching live TV I can't change the channel. If I use the

>> numpad the number show up on the screen, but nothing happens. If I
use
>> the arrow keys the picture freezes and I have to kill mythtv to close

>> it.

>Sounds like your database of program/channel information is empty.

>> And lastly, when I press the button to schedual a recording the main
>> menu goes away, but no other window comes up. The program doesn't
>> crash (it is still running in the terminal).

>Database is definately empty or not setup right. So, I'd make sure
that xmltv
>is setup, and filldata ran without any major errors.

Well, when I run filldata I don't get any errors. How can I check to
make sure the data is where it is supposed to be?
Re: small problems with mythtv [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday 07 August 2002 07:31 pm, griffenjam wrote:
> Well, when I run filldata I don't get any errors. How can I check to
> make sure the data is where it is supposed to be?

Well, first of all, does running 'mythepg' say anything on the console? I'm
assuming that running it doesn't show an interface..

Anyway, to check to see if all the data got inserted properly:

Run the mysql command line client.. 'mysql'
Might need to give it a username/password, though that would depend on your
setup -- with my stock debian installation, root can connect to the db
without anything like that.

then at the prompt:

use mythconverg;
select * from channel;

You should get a bunch of information from that.. If you do, then the
problem's something else, and we'll go from there.

Isaac
Re: small problems with mythtv [ In reply to ]

>On Wednesday 07 August 2002 07:31 pm, griffenjam wrote:
> > Well, when I run filldata I don't get any errors. How can I check to
> > make sure the data is where it is supposed to be?

O.k. I was trippen. I was at work and forget that I didn't get filldata to
work.
when I tried to execute "mysql < mc.sql" as a non-root user I get an access
denied message. I ran it as root and it worked, but when I run filldata I
get this error.

Can't locate Can't locate DBI.pm in @INC (@INC contains:
/usr/lib/perl5/5.6.1/i586-linux /usr/lib/perl5/5.6.1
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.1/i586-linux /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.1
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl .) at ./filldata line 5.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at ./filldata line 5.

Sorry I didn't mention this in the first place.

Re: small problems with mythtv [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday 07 August 2002 10:13 pm, Jason M. wrote:
> O.k. I was trippen. I was at work and forget that I didn't get filldata to
> work.
> when I tried to execute "mysql < mc.sql" as a non-root user I get an access
> denied message. I ran it as root and it worked, but when I run filldata I
> get this error.
>
> Can't locate Can't locate DBI.pm in @INC (@INC contains:
> /usr/lib/perl5/5.6.1/i586-linux /usr/lib/perl5/5.6.1
> /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.1/i586-linux /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.1
> /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl .) at ./filldata line 5.
> BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at ./filldata line 5.
>
> Sorry I didn't mention this in the first place.

you'll need to install the perl dbi code, and probably also the mysql
interface for perl as well. On debian, the package names are libdbi-perl and
libdbd-mysql-perl. Not sure 'bout other distros.

Isaac
Re: small problems with mythtv [ In reply to ]
On August 7, 2002 08:46 pm, Isaac Richards wrote:
> On Wednesday 07 August 2002 10:13 pm, Jason M. wrote:
> > O.k. I was trippen. I was at work and forget that I didn't get filldata
> > to work.
> > when I tried to execute "mysql < mc.sql" as a non-root user I get an
> > access denied message. I ran it as root and it worked, but when I run
> > filldata I get this error.

You can get around this by making your command line "mysql -uroot -p < mc.sql"
and then typing in your mysql root passwd when prompted . You have changed
your default mysql root password haven't you?

Randy
Re: small problems with mythtv [ In reply to ]
Also, for a quick way to install perl modules, you can do this:

$ perl -MCPAN -e shell

this will launch the CPAN shell so you can install perl modules more conviently

then you can do things like this from the perl shell prompt...

install DBI

BTW:

Isaac: that suggestion worked for gcc 3.1, thanks!

Chris