Mailing List Archive

dev filesystem
I had mythtv working on my Mandrake 8.2 (almost 100% cooker) box just a
few weeks ago. Im pretty sure I was using the dev filesystem bit.
recently, I switched to gentoo (definately with dev-fs). for the life of
me, I cant get mythtv to work correctly. I can get sound, but no video.
Ive tried running it as root (as some previous posts mentioned) but no-go.
xawtv, zapping, and the avitools work without any problems.

Heres my question:
if anyone is using mythtv with dev-fs:
what version of qt?
which windowmanager/de (gnome/kde) ?
which kernel?
what permissions are on /dev/v4l/* ?
did you have to do anything different to get it to work?

and to the developer: is there a way to get debugging info from mythtv
(ive run it through gdb and all I get is "no debuggin symbols found" with
only one error message: "VIDIOCSYNC1: Interrupted system call"). anything
I can do other than that? the command I use is: "gdb
/usr/local/bin/mythfrontend"

Thanks for any input,
David

--
"I find your lack of faith disturbing."
--Darth Vader
Re: dev filesystem [ In reply to ]
one other question I forgot: alsa or oss?

David

--
"I find your lack of faith disturbing."
--Darth Vader
---
5:50pm up 35 days, 7:34, 1 user, load average: 0.08, 0.02, 0.01
Re: dev filesystem [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday 07 August 2002 06:46 pm, daz@undertaker.homeip.net wrote:
> I had mythtv working on my Mandrake 8.2 (almost 100% cooker) box just a
> few weeks ago. Im pretty sure I was using the dev filesystem bit.
> recently, I switched to gentoo (definately with dev-fs). for the life of
> me, I cant get mythtv to work correctly. I can get sound, but no video.
> Ive tried running it as root (as some previous posts mentioned) but no-go.
> xawtv, zapping, and the avitools work without any problems.

Are you using the last release (pr3)? There was a bug in it where it had
/dev/video hardcoded into the recorder, and so won't run with devfs.

> Heres my question:
> if anyone is using mythtv with dev-fs:
not I.

> what version of qt?
qt 3.0.5

> which windowmanager/de (gnome/kde) ?
kde 3

> which kernel?
2.4.19-pre9-ac2, currently. I've been meaning to upgrade.

> what permissions are on /dev/v4l/* ?
no devfs =)

> alsa or oss?
alsa 0.9

> did you have to do anything different to get it to work?
>
> and to the developer: is there a way to get debugging info from mythtv
> (ive run it through gdb and all I get is "no debuggin symbols found" with
> only one error message: "VIDIOCSYNC1: Interrupted system call"). anything
> I can do other than that? the command I use is: "gdb
> /usr/local/bin/mythfrontend"

That's the proper way to do it, you just need to recompile with debugging
turned on. Edit settings.pro in the top level dir, comment out the CONFIG +=
release, and uncomment the debug line. make clean, make install. gdb should
work fine then. It's fairly slow running it in gdb, though, so it helps to
cut down the resolution of the video a bit.

Isaac
Re: dev filesystem [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 7 Aug 2002, Isaac Richards wrote:

> Are you using the last release (pr3)? There was a bug in it where it had
> /dev/video hardcoded into the recorder, and so won't run with devfs.

urk. i forgot to mention im using cvs from Aug. 04. sorry :)

> > alsa or oss?
> alsa 0.9

would the sound driver matter in terms of usability?

> That's the proper way to do it, you just need to recompile with debugging
> turned on. Edit settings.pro in the top level dir, comment out the CONFIG +=
> release, and uncomment the debug line. make clean, make install. gdb should
> work fine then. It's fairly slow running it in gdb, though, so it helps to
> cut down the resolution of the video a bit.

thanks, working on that now :)

David

> Isaac

"I find your lack of faith disturbing."
--Darth Vader
---
6:50pm up 35 days, 8:34, 1 user, load average: 0.00, 0.01, 0.00
Re: dev filesystem [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday 07 August 2002 07:57 pm, daz@undertaker.homeip.net wrote:
> On Wed, 7 Aug 2002, Isaac Richards wrote:
> > Are you using the last release (pr3)? There was a bug in it where it had
> > /dev/video hardcoded into the recorder, and so won't run with devfs.
>
> urk. i forgot to mention im using cvs from Aug. 04. sorry :)

Ah. Well, then, I dunno =) Maybe make sure that it's trying to open the
right video device? (stick a cout or something in the source near where it
opens the device to spit out the devicename it's trying to open)..

> > > alsa or oss?
> >
> > alsa 0.9
>
> would the sound driver matter in terms of usability?

It might. On one system that I know of, alsa worked full duplex, where the
oss driver would block when the player tried to open it.

Isaac