Mailing List Archive

Music.
I just (late last night) committed the music module to CVS.. so anyone
interested can grab it from the CVS stuff on the webpage. The last few days
of updates on the webpage have details on what it does, and links to
screenshots.

Some notes:
- The .sql file in the musicdb dir needs to be inserted into the same
database the TV portion uses.
- it's not meant to be installed yet, and needs to be run from the directory
it's compiled from.
- Searching for music in the directory you tell it to in the settings file
will take awhile at startup (the first time it's run) and there's no progress
bar or any indication of status, so, it'll look like it's just sitting there,
depending on how large a directory you give it.
- You need: libmad and libid3tag from the Mad MP3 decoder, a complete vorbis
installation (I've only tested with the 1.0 release), libcdaudio, the cd
paranoia libs, and FLAC. All dependencies exist as standard packages in
Debian.
- The ripper encodes to "low", "medium", and "high" quality vorbis files
currently. These map to -q3, -q6, and -q10 quality settings in. Basically,
low quality is set for ~128kbps MP3 quality, medium is about twice the
bitrate, and high is about twice medium's bitrate. I'll be adding support to
encode to FLAC files shortly.

If I could get some feedback from other people on how well/poorly it works,
that'd be excellent.. What else it needs, what doesn't work as expected,
that sorta thing.

Isaac