Mailing List Archive

Feature request
I was thinking ahead about a few features, and wanted to run them by
every body.

1. "My Myth Network"
If you have more than 1 MythTV box on your home network,
they would need to see each others Video files.
This could be done a few ways:
a. Just mount the other computers hard drive(nfs,smb),
and make it so you can have more than 1 Video
store(RecordFilePrefix).
Each Video file would also need meta data file,
something like "VideoFileName.xml", the xml
file would have the guide data and it could also
have the commercial start and stop times(so we
can skip them). Then the database would not be
needed to for recorded programs.

b. Make a backend video server that runs over TCP/IP
and make the frontend easily talk to more than 1
backend recorder.

2. "MythTV share"
This would be a peer to peer network of MythTV boxes.
What a user would do is bring up there channel guide
and go back in time to the program that they forgot to
record then just select it to be recorded. The system
will look for the show on other MythTV boxes and when it
finds it, the show will be downloaded to there MythTV box.

For any of these things to work it might be easier to make a meta data
file for each video file, again that would be a xml file that would have
the guide data and it could also have the commercial start and stop
times(so we
can skip them). This would also let us just copy/save the video files,
with out doing any database work. This would also help during upgrades
so you will not loose any of your recorded programs.

Brent
Re: Feature request [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Dec 23, 2002 at 07:28:58PM +0000, Brent Borghese wrote:

> b. Make a backend video server that runs over TCP/IP
> and make the frontend easily talk to more than 1
> backend recorder.

This is exactly what is happening in CVS right now, for the next release.

> 2. "MythTV share"
> This would be a peer to peer network of MythTV boxes.
> What a user would do is bring up there channel guide
> and go back in time to the program that they forgot to
> record then just select it to be recorded. The system
> will look for the show on other MythTV boxes and when it
> finds it, the show will be downloaded to there MythTV box.

This sounds like a cease and desist order waiting to happen.

--
- mdz
Re: Feature request [ In reply to ]
It would most certainly be bring out the lawsuits if Myth went p2p
sharing. Bad Idea....

Re: Feature Request [ In reply to ]
You tell TiVo what you like. TiVo records programs for you based on those
suggestions. TiVo won't interrupt your existing schedule to record such
programs, and the recorded content may be removed to make room for stuff
you've instructed TiVo to record.

I don't know what TiVo uses to build its hypothesis of what you like. I
imagine it uses actors (which don't seem to be in our XML feed) and program
titles/categories. Perhaps channels, too...

I'd like to see a FireFly-esque ratings system for Myth which could extend
to the music side as well.

#if Chris Martin (Dev) /* Mar 04, 17:19 */

#endif /* dev@cgmartin.com */
RE: Feature Request [ In reply to ]
The tivo suggestion feature was originally based around just the genre
category that every shows info provided. So you would rate individual
shows with 1-3 thumbs, either up or down, and tivo would record
suggestions based on those genre's you gave thumbs up or thumbs down.
Shows usually belong to more than 1 genre (action, scifi, or animated,
children etc) so it worked reasonably well. TiVo has been enhancing the
suggestion features for awhile now so it uses aggregate data obtained
from everybody and it has gotten quite a bit better, at least for me.
For some people it got a lot worse according to reports on the
tivocommunity boards /shrug.

The big difference between how mythtv and tivo work is tivo doesn't
provide an available space indicator. The only way to know how much
space you have available on a TiVo is to leave suggestions on. The TiVo
will try and always be recording new suggestions and shows, as long as
it wasn't doing anything else of higher priority. So if you have a ton
of suggestions to watch, you know you have quite a bit of free space, if
you have zero suggestions then you are either out of freespace or darn
close. At first this sounded like a kludge to me, but in practice it
works wonderfully. I had no idea futurama was being broadcast again (I
don't watch commercials of course) but the tivo picked it up as a
suggestion which was a pleasant surprise. This and other things it has
caught have made me a fan of the suggestion system.

For mythtv to be able to handle suggestions, it would have to have some
kind of freespace limiter or management system on top of the suggestion
engine being added. Another neat thing about how tivo handles
suggestions is even if you turn off suggestions, you can still see what
it would have suggested to record at any time.

Re: Feature Request [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Mar 04, 2003 at 03:56:36PM -0500, Andy Davidoff wrote:

> I don't know what TiVo uses to build its hypothesis of what you like. I
> imagine it uses actors (which don't seem to be in our XML feed) and
> program titles/categories. Perhaps channels, too...

I believe they collect this data from large numbers of viewers and perform
"shopping basket" analysis and such on it.

--
- mdz
Re: Feature Request [ In reply to ]
The tivo allows you to rate programs using the thumbs up/thumbs down
buttons. Then if you turn on the tivo suggestions options it will use
your previous ratings to use up any spare disk space by record programming
that you are likely to be interested in.

Re: Feature Request [ In reply to ]

Re: Feature Request [ In reply to ]
#if Chris Martin (Dev) /* Mar 04, 19:36 */
> Not publicly accessible data I'm assuming. What web sites/Internet services
> have TV show information we could use to possibly help with matching
> favorites? Is there any extra info that we could collect from our XML feed
> besides actor info?

I posted a patch for airdates, content ratings, and "star" ratings.
In my sample feed, that only leaves audio type and subtitle type (and
implicitly, availability). The audio-type is uniformly "stereo" in my
case, though other people may get 5.1 or something if they are using
satellite.

We could slurp actor information from IMDB, I suppose. This would be
a real hack, though. TiVo gets it from somewhere; I doubt they have
partnerships with every provider.

I wonder if Freevo has this feature. I've been meaning to check out how
they get the movie poster and album cover graphics into the UI, too.

> A service dedicated to collecting show ratings from MythTV users could be
> done pretty easily...but does it make sense if our usage pool is so
> limited? Results would probably be skewed for all Sci-Fi, Action, and
> Anime shows with all of us computer geeks. :)
#endif /* dev@cgmartin.com */

What's wrong with that? If it reflects the user-base, so much the better.
Systems like FireFly or Joker shouldn't be affected by this issue, anyway.
Re: Feature Request [ In reply to ]
Does Myth have genre info coming in thought XMLTV? The Best I could
think we could do is base it off the summarys for the shows. Use a
method like a Naive Bayes to teach myth what you like and don't like.

Re: Feature Request [ In reply to ]
There is no support for multiple genres in the database. We could
add this easily, though I'm not sure how useful it would be without
our own addition of categorization hints. In my tests[0], the "missing"
categories are things like
"Adventure" from "Action/Adventure"
or "Fitness" from "Health/Fitness"
or "Tabloid" from "Talk/Tabloid"

It's not clear that storing multiple genres really buys us anything
without a better quality data source[0].

I agree that the Naive Bayes is a good place to start if we're going
to pursue statistical NLP, but I really doubt it can be effective on
this problem without some sort of additional training data (thesaurus?).
Our corpus is pretty small and the sentence fragments we do have are
relatively short and not very descriptive or specific.

I think getting actor information would really go a long way toward
improving performance of suggestions, but where can we get such data?

[0] This only applies to my data from tv_grab_na.

#if Robert Middleswarth /* Mar 04, 18:25 */
#endif /* robert@middleswarth.net */
Re: Feature Request [ In reply to ]

Re: Feature Request [ In reply to ]

Re: Feature Request [ In reply to ]
I think it could be done but would require alot of work. Work I not
sure anyone whats to put in. You could take those shows that you have
set to record automatical and use that as a starting point. Then you
would have to have the system learn making sugestions then based on your
thumbs Up / Down / Notsure refine you sugestion even more. It would
take time and the sugestions would get better over time at 1st they
would be off base at best. Althought I agress that better descriptions
would make it more accurate faster. Also well could combine those
though some form of Option P2P system system that would compare thing
like show title and see what else someone else is also watch to help the
data along over time.

Robert

RE: Feature Request [ In reply to ]
Hmm. I'm not sure how useful the "thumbs up/down" would be (I'll ask
a tivo guy tomorrow what he thinks about it), but I was thinking about
playing with the scheduler a bit to see if I can get "priorities" in
place.

E.g.
Low -> Comedy Central Presents
Wiggles
Sesame Street
Monster Garage
[Default For New Programs]
American Muscle Car

Dunno. I'm thinking something like that, but so far I haven't been
able to scrounge time up to do much...

-Thor Johnson

Re: Feature Request [ In reply to ]
All of the Actor and Genre information _is_ in IMDB, but I suspect it
would take a bit of processing to parse through their data, not to mention
identifying the show's entry in the first place (just try looking up the
television
show 24...).

Re: Feature Request [ In reply to ]
Thor Johnson wrote:
> Hmm. I'm not sure how useful the "thumbs up/down" would be (I'll ask
> a tivo guy tomorrow what he thinks about it), but I was thinking about
> playing with the scheduler a bit to see if I can get "priorities" in
> place.
>
> E.g.
> Low -> Comedy Central Presents
> Wiggles
> Sesame Street
> Monster Garage
> [Default For New Programs]
> American Muscle Car
>
> Dunno. I'm thinking something like that, but so far I haven't been
> able to scrounge time up to do much...

I'd been thinking about this too. Having your choices sorted
by preference really opens up aggressive scheduling. You can
add lots of things that you might want to see 'if there isn't
anything better on'. You should be able to add dozens (or
hundreds ;-) of things and know that it will always choose
"Nova" over "Bowling for Dollars" ;-). The current mechanism
does allow remembering one show over one other but doesn't
know your preference when a new conflict crops up.

One way this might work, for example, would a column in the
'record' table to hold a number representing the preference.
There would need to be an interface to either allow sorting
the list or simply entering a preference value. The scheduler
could then choose the highest preference items for as many
tuners as are available.

This is something I'd hoped to do someday but I'd be just as
happy if someone beat me to it ;-).

-- bjm
Re: Feature Request [ In reply to ]
On 7/21/05, Ray Benjamin <raybenjamin@comcast.net> wrote:
> I've been considering building a web based configuration utility for mythtv
> that does this, if there is much interest.

Yup, interested .. perhaps extending to mythweb/settings.php