Sibble Computer Consulting
help@pdscc.com (use pgp keyid 0x3AD5C11D) http://www.pdscc.com
(604) 739-3709 (voice/fax) (604) 686-2253 (pager)
Re: using mjpeg (non-tuner cards) and effect on cpu requirements [ In reply to ]
Currently, nothing.. But I plan on doing an IR tx dealie a la lirc..

Could we maybe get a list of working IR transmitters, and what people did
for them? As well as using this myself, I'd like to put it in some
myth-related documentation knowledge base thingi..

tarek : )

Re: using mjpeg (non-tuner cards) and effect on cpu requirements [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Oct 27, 2002 at 10:58:31AM -0800, Harondel J. Sibble wrote:
> Just curious, if one is using an Mjpeg card (Zoran based like the DC10+)
> which does hardware encoding, does that reduce the beefiness of the cpu
> required to run MythTV?

MythTV doesn't currently take advantage of hardware compression.

> Also what are people using for controlling their external tuners (dss,
> digital cable etc). Home built serial port IR tx's a la lirc, or commercial
> units.

See the thread with the subject "New Mythtv user with Matrox Marvel G200TV"

--
Ray
Re: using mjpeg (non-tuner cards) and effect on cpu requirements [ In reply to ]
On 27 Oct 2002 at 14:32, Ray wrote:

> MythTV doesn't currently take advantage of hardware compression.
Bummer ;-)

> See the thread with the subject "New Mythtv user with Matrox Marvel G200TV"
You connect a serial cable direct to the DSS box? Hmm, I think my digital
cable box has a serial port, time to do some investigating.

--
Harondel J. Sibble
Re: using mjpeg (non-tuner cards) and effect on cpu requirements [ In reply to ]
On Sunday 27 October 2002 04:46 pm, Harondel J. Sibble wrote:
> On 27 Oct 2002 at 14:32, Ray wrote:
> > MythTV doesn't currently take advantage of hardware compression.
>
> Bummer ;-)

Right, but as I've said elsewhere, it shouldn't be _that_ hard to add. I'm
not going to be able to support hardware I don't have, though.

Isaac
Re: using mjpeg (non-tuner cards) and effect on cpu requirements [ In reply to ]
On 27 Oct 2002 at 17:02, Isaac Richards wrote:

> Right, but as I've said elsewhere, it shouldn't be _that_ hard to add. I'm
> not going to be able to support hardware I don't have, though.

So if I send you my DC10+, that'd help?

I'm actually not even using it as I was planning on selling it and my DC30Pro
and getting one of these:

http://www.adstech.com/products/API_550/intro/api550intro.asp?pid=API-550

I have a friend that needs to borrow it to test some issues with his DC10+,
but after that I'd be glad to ship it to you for use in getting it working
with MythTV. I'd want it back once you're done, but if that took 6 months, no
big deal, as I already have like 5 or 6 tv tuner cards that I can use to
setup other boxes.

--
Harondel J. Sibble