Mailing List Archive

more problems with mythtv :-(
After running and using mythtv a few times and have it running for about 1/2
hour, I can no longer run it, I get the following errors.

[root@marcus mythtv]# mythtv
QSqlDatabase warning: QMYSQL3 driver not loaded
QSqlDatabase: available drivers:
Couldn't open database
QSqlQuery::exec: database not open
QSqlQuery::exec: database not open
Changing from None to WatchingLiveTV
Cannot open DSP '', dying.
Could not detect audio blocksize
Cannot open DSP '', exitingCan't open video device:
open video:: No such file or directory
VIDIOCSAUDIO: Bad file descriptor

[root@marcus mythtv]# mythepg
QSqlDatabase warning: QMYSQL3 driver not loaded
QSqlDatabase: available drivers:
couldn't open db
Mutex destroy failure: Device or resource busy

Odd, if I start up a new terminal window it works fine, just the current
windows give the errors above.

Also when playing back, there is no sound. When I was watching tv earlier
with mythtv, it looked like the audio and video were out of sync, the audio
was ahead of the video. You'd hear them say something, then a second or 2
later, you'd see them mouth the words.

I realize now that the audio was coming in, in real time, it's the video that
is out of sync with the audio. This is coming through the composite input on
the tv card from the vcr tuner. If I turn off the vcr tuner and rewind the
video in mythtv, there is no accompanying audio.

Any suggestions? I am so close to PVR nirvana, I can almost taste it ;-)
Re: more problems with mythtv :-( [ In reply to ]
1)
Hey! This is q problem that took me a bit to sort out, but should be
sorted out by doing that thing with your QTDIR again:

# QTDIR=/usr/lib/qt3 # <-- change this to your own qt3 lib
# export QTDIR
# mythtv

This should work.. Perhaps there could be a little line of code that calls
up this setting from the settings file and sets the variable? It seems a
common problem.. I just setup a little script to do it that looks like
this:

[root@courage orangey]# cat myth.sh
#!/bin/bash
QTDIR=/usr/lib/qt3
export QTDIR
mythfrontend

fi

# --- end of file ---

2)
You are right.. your audio is in realtime while your video is not.. The
basic way myth works (if I understand correctly), is to record, and then
playback the recording.. hence the perpetual 2second delay.. this is the
reason you can back up and things.. If you're listening to a "live" line
in, then the recording is not likely going on.. Using mandrake 9 and alsa
sound drivers, I used my "alsamixergui" to fix this problem.. any sound
mixer should be able to fix it.. if you're running mandrake 9, you can
also go to: K --> what to do --> Administer your system --> configure your
sound..

The jist of what you're supposed to do is this:
a) Make sure that Line In is recorded
b) Make sure that Line in is MUTED in playback but at an appropriate
volume for recording..

Sincerely, alsamixergui does this task best, as it has *everything* in
there.. If you have any more problems, just let me know..

tarek

> After running and using mythtv a few times and have it running for about 1/2
> hour, I can no longer run it, I get the following errors.
>
> [root@marcus mythtv]# mythtv
> QSqlDatabase warning: QMYSQL3 driver not loaded
> QSqlDatabase: available drivers:
> Couldn't open database
<snip>

Re: more problems with mythtv :-( [ In reply to ]
On 27 Oct 2002 at 13:01, tarek Lubani wrote:

> 1)
> Hey! This is q problem that took me a bit to sort out, but should be
> sorted out by doing that thing with your QTDIR again:

Ahh, well the problem hasn't reoccured, but I'll add that to my mini-
faq/howto I am putting together on getting it up and running under MDK8.1/8.2

> reason you can back up and things.. If you're listening to a "live" line in,
> then the recording is not likely going on.. Using mandrake 9 and alsa sound
> The jist of what you're supposed to do is this:
> a) Make sure that Line In is recorded
> b) Make sure that Line in is MUTED in playback but at an appropriate
> volume for recording..

Thanks, that was exactly the problem, audio and video are perfectly in sync
now, damn this slick. Issac and fellow developers, a BIG Thank You. I've been
looking for something like this under linux for the past 2 years.

Now, since I am not a coder, how else can I contribute to this effort?

--
Harondel J. Sibble
Sibble Computer Consulting