Mailing List Archive

problems with installing xmltv
Howdy folks, having a bit of troubles compiling xmltv so that I can get
mythtv up and running.

Following is email I sent to the xmltv developer and one other list. Hope
someone can shed some light on how to solve the problem.....

TIA

---------------------------------------

Howdy folks, I am trying to compile xmltv 0.52 (on MDK 8.2) which is a
prerequiste to run MythTV, a linux PVR package.  Now, one of the required
perl modules is Tk:TableMatrix. Whether I go the cpan route or try to compile
it myself I get the same results:

Using -L/usr/X11R6/lib to find /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so.6.2
Using -I/usr/X11R6/include to find /usr/X11R6/include/X11/Xlib.h
Cannot find Tk/pTk/Lang.h in @INC
Running make test
  Make had some problems, maybe interrupted? Won't test
Running make install
  Make had some problems, maybe interrupted? Won't install

The 3rd line down seems to be the critical error.  I did a google search on
the Lang.h file, but haven't seen anything that appears relevant.

The offending line in the Makefile.PL appears to be

# Find path to existing pTk include files
my $ptkPath = Tk::MMutil::findINC('Tk/pTk/Lang.h');
$ptkPath =~ s/\/Lang.h$//g;

Since Tk:MMutil is mentioned, I installed that and and now the
Tk::TableMatrix module gets futher in compiling.

Odd that the docs wouldn't mention needing that module since the Tk::MMutil
took about 10-15 minutes to compile as opposed to under a minute for the
others.

Okay, I try to install Tk::TableMatrix and now get this:

LD_RUN_PATH="" cc  -shared -L/usr/local/lib TableMatrix.o  -o
blib/arch/auto/Tk/TableMatrix/TableMatrix.so pTk/libpTk.a  -L/usr/X11R6/lib
-lX11 -lpt -lnsl -lm
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lpt
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [blib/arch/auto/Tk/TableMatrix/TableMatrix.so] Error 1
  /usr/bin/make  -- NOT OK
Running make test
  Can't test without successful make
Running make install
  make had returned bad status, install seems impossible

Is -lpt a missing function of ld?

I am currently downloading some updates for 8.2 that I must have missed, one
of which is slighty newer version of glibc. Just tried again with the newer
version of glibc and still get the same error.

Any ideas?
Re: problems with installing xmltv [ In reply to ]
Hey.. I had the same TK::table or whatever problems.. You have 2
problems here:

1) It's missing Tk.. so try to do a CPAN install on Tk alone (not
Tk:Tableblahblah)

2) basically, the command being passed to CPAN isn't being properly
understood.. The way to sort this out is to directly specify the install..
I don't actually remember how this was done.. If you can't find the exact
context, let me know and I'll dig it out for you.. basically, the command
to use should replace the regular "install Tk::TableMatrix" with something
like "install("Tk::TableMatrix")"

ignore the outside quotations, of course.. Anyway, i dont' remember the
exact command for CPAN to be honest.. but anyway.. Let me know if there
are any other problems or issues..

tarek : )

Re: problems with installing xmltv [ In reply to ]
On Saturday 26 October 2002 09:36 am, you wrote:

> 1) It's missing Tk.. so try to do a CPAN install on Tk alone (not
> Tk:Tableblahblah)

Nope. Tk is installed and up to date

CPAN: Storable loaded ok
Going to read /root/.cpan/Metadata
Database was generated on Sat, 26 Oct 2002 02:52:27 GMT
Tk is up to date.

> 2) basically, the command being passed to CPAN isn't being properly
> understood.. The way to sort this out is to directly specify the install..
> I don't actually remember how this was done.. If you can't find the exact
> context, let me know and I'll dig it out for you.. basically, the command
> to use should replace the regular "install Tk::TableMatrix" with something
> like "install("Tk::TableMatrix")"
Nope, that doesn't work either

cpan> install ("Tk::TableMatrix")
Warning: Cannot install (Tk::TableMatrix), don't know what it is.
Try the command

i /(Tk::TableMatrix)/

to find objects with matching identifiers.

The orginal command does cause it to be downloaded and compilation to start,
it just craps out in the make step looking for libpt, which from a google
search appears to be a debian-ism.

Anyhow, going here shows it to be part of PWlib,

http://packages.debian.org/unstable/libs/libpt-1.3.3.html

once I installed the devel version of that, it compiles fine.

Hmm., next problem:

Recommended module Lingua::EN::Numbers::Ordinate seems not to be installed.
Recommended module Lingua::Preferred seems not to be installed.
Recommended module Memoize seems not to be installed.
Recommended module Term::ProgressBar seems not to be installed.
Recommended module Unicode::String seems not to be installed.
Checking if your kit is complete...
Warning: the following files are missing in your kit:
t/data/tv_extractinfo_en_clump_extract_1_xml.expected
Please inform the author.
Writing Makefile for XMLTV

Should I be concerned or is this a spurious error?
Re: problems with installing xmltv [ In reply to ]
On Saturday 26 October 2002 09:39 am, you wrote:

> Checking if your kit is complete...
> Warning: the following files are missing in your kit:
> t/data/tv_extractinfo_en_clump_extract_1_xml.expected
> Please inform the author.
> Writing Makefile for XMLTV
>
> Should I be concerned or is this a spurious error?

Maybe it's not a spurious error after all:

after perl Makefile.PL

I run make test and get...

make test
PERL_DL_NONLAZY=1 /usr/bin/perl -Iblib/arch -Iblib/lib
-I/usr/lib/perl5/5.6.1/i386-linux -I/usr/lib/perl5/5.6.1 -e 'use
Test::Harness qw(&runtests $verbose); $verbose=0; runtests @ARGV;' t/*.t
t/test_filters....running small test suite, use t/test_filters.t --full for
the
whole lot
t/test_filters....NOK 3Confused test output: test 3 answered after test 3
t/test_filters....NOK 4Confused test output: test 4 answered after test 5
t/test_filters....NOK 5Confused test output: test 5 answered after test 7
t/test_filters....NOK 6Confused test output: test 6 answered after test 9
t/test_filters....NOK 7Confused test output: test 7 answered after test 11
t/test_filters....NOK 8Confused test output: test 8 answered after test 13
t/test_filters....NOK 9Confused test output: test 9 answered after test 15
t/test_filters....NOK 10Confused test output: test 10 answered after test 17
t/test_filters....NOK 11Confused test output: test 11 answered after test 19
t/test_filters....NOK 12Confused test output: test 12 answered after test 21
t/test_filters....NOK 13Confused test output: test 13 answered after test 23
t/test_filters....NOK 14Confused test output: test 14 answered after test 25
t/test_filters....NOK 15Confused test output: test 15 answered after test 27
t/test_filters....NOK 16Confused test output: test 16 answered after test 29
t/test_filters....NOK 17Confused test output: test 17 answered after test 31
t/test_filters....NOK 18Confused test output: test 18 answered after test 32
t/test_filters....FAILED tests 1-33
Failed 33/33 tests, 0.00% okay
Failed Test Stat Wstat Total Fail Failed List of Failed
t/test_filters.t 33 33 100.00% 1-33
Failed 1/1 test scripts, 0.00% okay. 33/33 subtests failed, 0.00% okay.
make: *** [test_dynamic] Error 11
Re: problems with installing xmltv [ In reply to ]
make sure you're running it from something that can access your X, like an
x-term.. not sure if this is exactly it, but I was trying to do it from a
remote shell and was unsuccessful until I switched over to an x-term
within my x session..

tarek

Re: problems with installing xmltv [ In reply to ]
On 26 Oct 2002 at 13:21, tarek Lubani wrote:

> make sure you're running it from something that can access your X, like an
> x-term.. not sure if this is exactly it, but I was trying to do it from a
> remote shell and was unsuccessful until I switched over to an x-term within my
> x session..
I am already :-( I am logged in under KDE (2.xx).

I tried using 0.51 and it goes fine until the make test step, and then I get
the "confused test results" again. However I get a lot more of the errors.

--
Harondel J. Sibble
Sibble Computer Consulting
Re: problems with installing xmltv [ In reply to ]
I'm sorry to hear that.. my best advice -- and what I always do in cases
like this -- is scour www.google.com and groups.google.com ..

tarek : )

Re: problems with installing xmltv [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Oct 26, 2002 at 10:07:34AM -0700, Harondel J. Sibble wrote:

> Maybe it's not a spurious error after all:
>
> after perl Makefile.PL
>
> I run make test and get...

<SNIP>
> t/test_filters....NOK 16Confused test output: test 16 answered after test 29
> t/test_filters....NOK 17Confused test output: test 17 answered after test 31
> t/test_filters....NOK 18Confused test output: test 18 answered after test 32
> t/test_filters....FAILED tests 1-33
> Failed 33/33 tests, 0.00% okay
> Failed Test Stat Wstat Total Fail Failed List of Failed
> t/test_filters.t 33 33 100.00% 1-33
> Failed 1/1 test scripts, 0.00% okay. 33/33 subtests failed, 0.00% okay.
> make: *** [test_dynamic] Error 11

FWIW I got the same errors but it doesn't seem to have affected anything so
far. I've only been using this thing for a day or two so there may still be
something waiting to bite me.

--
Ray