Mailing List Archive

The 125 Channel Problem Explained
Hey guys!

After playing around much with the code (the equivalent of a little kid
trying to figure out a boeing), and with the help of a very knowledgeable
man (and author of TV Time, a linux dscaler;
http://www.sf.net/projects/tvtime/), I think the 125 channel problem has
been figured out:

1) Why it happens:

It seems that mythtv calls up all of its "usable" channels from
"frequencies.c" in the libs/libmyth directory (of the source).. This is
well and good except for the fact that none of these standards do (or can,
for that matter) represent satellite!! So, it's a no-go if you want the OSD
or whatever to show up for a >125 channel (>100 in some markets, etc)..

2) What can be done to "fix" it?

Seems like there are 2 main avenues to go:

a) Trick myth by putting in a "broadcast" standard for satellite.. this
would have to go in the frequencies.c..

b) remove the dependence on this channel list altogether!

3) The solution I used:

Well, that one was easy. My knowledge is so limited that I could not pursue
option (b), and instead went for option (a).. I opened up the frequencies.c
and just put in a bunch of random frequencies.. I started at 100 and went
all the way to 999 for the channels, which is pretty much all directv
supports.. As for 0 - 100 for those with 5th gen receivers, by not deleting
any of the entries, those are still supported.. so no prob..

The additions that I made to frequencies.c didn't break it (I think).. Just
supplemented it.. so the frequency designations for 1 - 125 haven't changed
(in theory)..

you can find the frequencies.c file that I used at:

http://tarek.2y.net/myth/

A sample line (for archival / etc sakes):

{ "999", 61250 },

this can be repeated for all the channels that are needed..

Hope that all helps : )

tarek : )
Re: The 125 Channel Problem Explained [ In reply to ]
On Thursday 24 October 2002 05:07 pm, tarek Lubani wrote:
> It seems that mythtv calls up all of its "usable" channels from
> "frequencies.c" in the libs/libmyth directory (of the source)..

Fixed in CVS. Quite an easy change, too. There really wasn't any reason for
it to be checking the frequency list where it was.

Isaac