I am proposing removing the use of std::move. The different ways of
accessing QString, and how the memory is managed com into this. I ran
some tests of the solution, and I could not find any memory leaks. If
there is anything wrong with this approach please let me know.

https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/issues/740

In one field the API is returning different values in xml and json. The
fix may affect users of the xml API. I believe we need to fix it anyway.

Peter

Re: Comments requested on two bugs [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Mar 26, 2023 at 11:19:20AM -0400, Peter Bennett wrote:
> There are two bugs I have logged, with my recommended fixes.
>
> https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/issues/739
>
> I am proposing removing the use of std::move. The different ways of
> accessing QString, and how the memory is managed com into this. I ran some
> tests of the solution, and I could not find any memory leaks. If there is
> anything wrong with this approach please let me know.

I don't know enough about this issue to comment.

> https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/issues/740
>
> In one field the API is returning different values in xml and json. The fix
> may affect users of the xml API. I believe we need to fix it anyway.

Returning the same value in both modes is desirable. However, is this
API element new in pre-v34? Or IOW, do we know how many existing, API
users that would break?

David
--
David Engel
david@istwok.net
Re: Comments requested on two bugs [ In reply to ]
On 3/26/23 13:18, David Engel wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 26, 2023 at 11:19:20AM -0400, Peter Bennett wrote:
>> There are two bugs I have logged, with my recommended fixes.
>>
>> https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/issues/739
>>
>> I am proposing removing the use of std::move. The different ways of
>> accessing QString, and how the memory is managed com into this. I ran some
>> tests of the solution, and I could not find any memory leaks. If there is
>> anything wrong with this approach please let me know.
> I don't know enough about this issue to comment.
>
>> https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/issues/740
>>
>> In one field the API is returning different values in xml and json. The fix
>> may affect users of the xml API. I believe we need to fix it anyway.
> Returning the same value in both modes is desirable. However, is this
> API element new in pre-v34? Or IOW, do we know how many existing, API
> users that would break?

This element has been there since 0.28 and I believe it has been
behaving this way since then.

I don't know how many users there are of the api.

If I change the api to return names in all cases and change the method
that translates the code to a description so that it accepts names as
well as codes, that should be the least impact.

Re: Comments requested on two bugs [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Mar 26, 2023 at 6:48?PM Peter Bennett <pb.mythtv@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 3/26/23 13:18, David Engel wrote:
> > On Sun, Mar 26, 2023 at 11:19:20AM -0400, Peter Bennett wrote:
> >> There are two bugs I have logged, with my recommended fixes.
> >>
> >> https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/issues/739
> >>
> >> I am proposing removing the use of std::move. The different ways of
> >> accessing QString, and how the memory is managed com into this. I ran some
> >> tests of the solution, and I could not find any memory leaks. If there is
> >> anything wrong with this approach please let me know.
> > I don't know enough about this issue to comment.
> >
> >> https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/issues/740
> >>
> >> In one field the API is returning different values in xml and json. The fix
> >> may affect users of the xml API. I believe we need to fix it anyway.
> > Returning the same value in both modes is desirable. However, is this
> > API element new in pre-v34? Or IOW, do we know how many existing, API
> > users that would break?
>
> This element has been there since 0.28 and I believe it has been
> behaving this way since then.
>
> I don't know how many users there are of the api.
>
> If I change the api to return names in all cases and change the method
> that translates the code to a description so that it accepts names as
> well as codes, that should be the least impact.

I have said this before, but API versioning, returning
two different names (the old unchanged, and the newer),
or an entirely new API endpoint is the proper way
forward when you want to change what an API
returns/performs and not impact existing users (and
deprecate the old on master, and delete on
master + 2(ish)). Otherwise you just need to say
the quiet part out loud, which is the API has no
stability (and one should feel free to just poke
things into the database, as it is just as unstable
as the API that the project offers).
Re: Comments requested on two bugs [ In reply to ]
On 3/26/23 17:30, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 26, 2023 at 6:48?PM Peter Bennett <pb.mythtv@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I don't know enough about this issue to comment.

>>> Returning the same value in both modes is desirable. However, is this
>>> API element new in pre-v34? Or IOW, do we know how many existing, API
>>> users that would break?
>> This element has been there since 0.28 and I believe it has been
>> behaving this way since then.
>>
>> I don't know how many users there are of the api.
>>
>> If I change the api to return names in all cases and change the method
>> that translates the code to a description so that it accepts names as
>> well as codes, that should be the least impact.
> I have said this before, but API versioning, returning
> two different names (the old unchanged, and the newer),
> or an entirely new API endpoint is the proper way
> forward when you want to change what an API
> returns/performs and not impact existing users (and
> deprecate the old on master, and delete on
> master + 2(ish)). Otherwise you just need to say
> the quiet part out loud, which is the API has no
> stability (and one should feel free to just poke
> things into the database, as it is just as unstable
> as the API that the project offers).

Thank you Gary for the response.

I looked at the documentation at
https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/DVR_Service#GetUpcomingList . It shows in
the example there that the Status is numeric:

<Status>-3</Status>

If I run the API now I get the text description in status in the xml
format but the numeric value in the json format. That is clearly a bug.
Today the wsdl shows it it a string. It seems that somewhere along the
line it was changed from an int to a string but the json version still
has a number and the documentation was not updated.

So your rule was violated at some point.

A question is, what about bug fixes? Do we keep the buggy version around
because some people are using it that way?

Another factor is that the version on port 6544 will never be fixed, but
the version on port 6744 will. Does this count as a new end point? It is
planned that eventually the code on port 6744 will become the only
server and its port will change to 6544.

Peter

Re: Comments requested on two bugs [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Mar 27, 2023 at 4:26?PM Peter Bennett <pb.mythtv@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thank you Gary for the response.
>
> I looked at the documentation at
> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/DVR_Service#GetUpcomingList . It shows in
> the example there that the Status is numeric:
>
> <Status>-3</Status>
>
> If I run the API now I get the text description in status in the xml
> format but the numeric value in the json format. That is clearly a bug.
> Today the wsdl shows it it a string. It seems that somewhere along the
> line it was changed from an int to a string but the json version still
> has a number and the documentation was not updated.
>
> So your rule was violated at some point.

Using git, we could determine who introduced
the issue, put as no professional would use
mistakes in the past to justify mistakes in the
future, it mostly does not matter now (so I do
not plan to do the research).

> A question is, what about bug fixes? Do we keep the buggy version around
> because some people are using it that way?

Yes (for buggy versions that have been out
for a while).

I use the Linux approach here, and so should
a project that claims API stability. Bug fixes
should apply before release (and MythTV
has a long development cycle). And immediately
after a release (say a month/two) you can
fix a clear mistake that made it into the wild.

After a release (and the mea culpa period)
you are stuck, because you cannot change
user space unless you can show that the
no one could possibly be using the API as
it exists because it does not work (not that
it may work badly, but it cannot be used)
without a long period of deprecation to
allow users to migrate to the new(er) API.

Elements (flags, etc.) can be removed
with sufficient notice (as I said, I would
use V+2 after announcement) as long
as the replacement is in a stable release
so people have time to convert, so if,
for example, the new feature/flags/elements
were released in version N, one can
announce deprecation at the release of
version N, and remove in N+2.

> Another factor is that the version on port 6544 will never be fixed, but
> the version on port 6744 will. Does this count as a new end point? It is
> planned that eventually the code on port 6744 will become the only
> server and its port will change to 6544.

If you are changing user space, it would be
considered a breaking change if the
returned data elements are different
or a different result for the same meaning.

Note that an API *can* start returning
additional elements as part of a "get"/"list"
operation (that would be a compatible
enhancement) as long as it does not
require those elements as part of the
"put"/"update" (i.e. it is tolerant of past
usages without providing those new
elements). I will note some recent
API improvements have properly done
so (my recollection is that the visibility
and the extended visibility extension
handled that better, so asking Mr. Engle
about what he needed to do to it right
might be useful; as I recall he *did* have
to do a bit more hoop jumping than he
would have done for an API breaking
change), although not all past APIs did
(or may now) do it right

So, if you do not like what element XXX
returns now, add in a XXXv2, and
leave XXX alone, although understand
that a "put" may include only the XXX,
or only XXXv2, or (especially problemantic)
XXX and XXXv2, with only XXX being
changed (which is an artifiact becuase
existing API users know they have to
return all existing values for many
endpoints, even if they did not update
them).

FWIW, API versioning (and pain points)
were discussed back in Dec 2021 when
you asked about API version numbers.
You may still have a copy, or it would
be in this list's archives. If you cannot
find it I can resend to this list.

Either the API is stable, or it is not. While
I do care about the choice (I am strongly
in favor of a stable API), it is not my
decision to make, but the project needs to
make a clear decision and then deal with
what that implies for itself, and any users
of the APIs.

Thanks for asking.
Re: Comments requested on two bugs [ In reply to ]
On 3/28/23 11:13, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> [...]
> returns now, add in a XXXv2, and
> leave XXX alone, although understand
> that a "put" may include only the XXX,
> or only XXXv2, or (especially problemantic)
> XXX and XXXv2, with only XXX being
> changed (which is an artifiact becuase
> existing API users know they have to
> return all existing values for many
> endpoints, even if they did not update
> them).
>
> FWIW, API versioning (and pain points)
> were discussed back in Dec 2021 when
> you asked about API version numbers.
> You may still have a copy, or it would
> be in this list's archives. If you cannot
> find it I can resend to this list.
>
> Either the API is stable, or it is not. While
> I do care about the choice (I am strongly
> in favor of a stable API), it is not my
> decision to make, but the project needs to
> make a clear decision and then deal with
> what that implies for itself, and any users

It would be better if all replies are in the issue comments, as others
have done (see https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/issues/740).

See there for my response.

Re: Comments requested on two bugs [ In reply to ]
I am not subscribed to this list but have seen this thread in the archive.

Since the API interface for recording status is changing, I have written a new page in the wiki and intend linking to it from the API pages.
I'd really appreciate some expert eyes proofreading it.
It is here:

https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Recording_Status

Regards and thank you all for your efforts.
Phil Brady
Re: Comments requested on two bugs [ In reply to ]
On 8/30/23 13:13, Philip Brady wrote:
> I am not subscribed to this list but have seen this thread in the archive.
>
> Since the API interface for recording status is changing, I have
> written a new page in the wiki and intend linking to it from the API
> pages.
> I'd really appreciate some expert eyes proofreading it.
> It is here:
>
> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Recording_Status
>
> Regards and thank you all for your efforts.
> Phil Brady

Thank you for documenting this.

The safest place to check is in the source code. Some of your "unknown"
statuses refer to obsolete values.

Values for Rec Status:
https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/blob/07439138c378fe07efcee8993721d7e3932ed4c6/mythtv/libs/libmythbase/recordingstatus.h#L11

Text values:
https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/blob/07439138c378fe07efcee8993721d7e3932ed4c6/mythtv/libs/libmythbase/recordingstatus.cpp#L124

Descriptions:
https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/blob/07439138c378fe07efcee8993721d7e3932ed4c6/mythtv/libs/libmythbase/recordingstatus.cpp#L188

Also note that now the API V2 is running on port 6544 (as well as 6744
for the time being) on latest master.

If you saw Status=3 and a StatusName=CurrentRecording you were likely
running with an old version of MythTV, which may have had different
values in these modules.

If you see something wrong in the source code, let me know.

Peter
Re: Comments requested on two bugs [ In reply to ]
On 8/30/23 13:13, Philip Brady wrote:
> I am not subscribed to this list but have seen this thread in the archive.
>
> Since the API interface for recording status is changing, I have
> written a new page in the wiki and intend linking to it from the API
> pages.
> I'd really appreciate some expert eyes proofreading it.
> It is here:
>
> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Recording_Status
>
> Regards and thank you all for your efforts.
> Phil Brady

Thank you for documenting this.

The safest place to check is in the source code. Some of your "unknown"
statuses refer to obsolete values.

Values for Rec Status:
https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/blob/07439138c378fe07efcee8993721d7e3932ed4c6/mythtv/libs/libmythbase/recordingstatus.h#L11

Text values:
https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/blob/07439138c378fe07efcee8993721d7e3932ed4c6/mythtv/libs/libmythbase/recordingstatus.cpp#L124

Descriptions:
https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/blob/07439138c378fe07efcee8993721d7e3932ed4c6/mythtv/libs/libmythbase/recordingstatus.cpp#L188

Also note that now the API V2 is running on port 6544 (as well as 6744
for the time being) on latest master.

If you saw Status=3 and a StatusName=CurrentRecording you were likely
running with an old version of MythTV, which may have had different
values in these modules.

If you see something wrong in the source code, let me know.

Thanks Peter,

I'll put links to the new page from other interesting places. I'll also comment that API V2 will be the norm on port 6544

Have I found two extra bugs or ambiguities?

I'm using:
MythTV Version : v34.0~master.202306020720.ed409bfc02~ubuntu22.04.1
MythTV Branch : master
Network Protocol : 91
Library API : 34.20220913-1
QT Version : 5.15.3
Options compiled in:
linux profile use_hidesyms using_alsa using_oss using_pulse using_pulseoutput using_backend using_bindings_perl
using_bindings_python using_bindings_php using_dvb using_firewire using_frontend using_hdhomerun using_satip
using_vbox using_ceton using_joystick_menu using_libcec using_libcrypto using_gnutls using_libdns_sd using_libxml2
using_lirc using_mheg using_opengl using_egl using_qtwebkit using_qtscript using_qtdbus using_taglib using_v4l2
using_v4l2prime using_x11 using_system_libbluray using_system_libudfread using_systemd_notify using_systemd_journal
using_drm using_bindings_perl using_bindings_python using_bindings_php using_freetype2 using_mythtranscode using_opengl
using_egl using_drm using_vaapi using_nvdec using_vdpau using_ffmpeg_threads using_mheg using_libass using_libxml2
using_libmp3lame

For StatusName, I'm seeing values of 'CurrentRecording' when I expected 'CurrentlyRecorded'. Status is 3.

RecStatusToString?RecStatus=value shows this:

3 => Currently Recorded
CurrentRecording => Currently Recorded

but the code is different:

https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/blob/07439138c378fe07efcee8993721d7e3932ed4c6/mythtv/libs/libmythbase/recordingstatus.h#L11
DontRecord = 1,
PreviousRecording = 2,
CurrentRecording = 3,
EarlierShowing = 4,

Is this a bug or is the solution to just document that 'CurrentRecording' actually means 'CurrentlyRecording' ?

As for the Recording Type /Dvr/RecTypeToString?RecType=8 and =9, both return 'Override Recording'.
Is this why I am having problems over-riding with MythWeb?

Regards
Phil

________________________________

Re: Comments requested on two bugs [ In reply to ]
On 8/31/23 07:16, Philip Brady wrote:
> [...]
>  using_egl using_drm using_vaapi using_nvdec using_vdpau
> using_ffmpeg_threads using_mheg using_libass using_libxml2
>  using_libmp3lame
> For StatusName, I'm seeing values of 'CurrentRecording' when I
> expected 'CurrentlyRecorded'.  Status is 3.
>
> RecStatusToString?RecStatus=value  shows this:
>
> 3                             => Currently Recorded
> CurrentRecording   => Currently Recorded
>  but the code is different:
> https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/blob/07439138c378fe07efcee8993721d7e3932ed4c6/mythtv/libs/libmythbase/recordingstatus.h#L11
>
>      DontRecord = 1,
>      PreviousRecording = 2,
>      CurrentRecording = 3,
>      EarlierShowing = 4,
>
> Is this a bug or is the solution to just document that
> 'CurrentRecording' actually means 'CurrentlyRecording' ?

Negative values indicate that something is or will be recorded and
positive values indicate it will not record. CurrentRecording means that
it will not record because there is currently a recording. So "Current
Recording" and "Currently Recorded" mean the same thing.

> As for the Recording Type /Dvr/RecTypeToString?RecType=8 and =9,  both
> return 'Override Recording'.
> Is this why I am having problems over-riding with MythWeb?

Recording Statuses are best looked at in the code

https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/blob/07439138c378fe07efcee8993721d7e3932ed4c6/mythtv/libs/libmythbase/recordingtypes.h#L20

RecType 7 is a type of override that changes details such as recording group

RecType 8 is a type of override that prevents a recording (don't record)

RecType 9 is no longer used.

The api http://backend:6544/Dvr/GetRecordScheduleList (V2) returns
"Override Recording" and "Do not Record" for the two types of override

Also http://backend:6544/Dvr/RecTypeToDescription?RecType=8 returns "Do
Not Record This Showing"

Which API returns "Override Recording" for both?

MythWeb has not been properly maintained. The new web app on port 6544
on the latest master provides all of the functions including overrides.