2. Can I do something about it?

BRGDS and thanks!

--
Dag Nygren email: dag@newtech.fi
Oy Espoon NewTech Ab phone: +358 9 8024910
Tr?sktorpet 3
02360 ESBO Mobile: +358 400 426312
FINLAND
Re: Delay between programs in LiveTV [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Mar 20, 2023 at 03:48:58PM +0200, Dag Nygren wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Been using MythTV for a long time now and basically happy, but one thing is starting to bother
> me:
>
> In my installation there is a longish delay (5-10s) between programs when the program
> changes to the next.
> During this time the frontend is completely unresponsive and the picture is frozen.
>
> I know that we are switching files on the backend during this time, but it shouldn't really take
> that long to close and open a file?
>
> Now my questions are:
> 1. Is this normal or is it only me?
> 2. Can I do something about it?

A small delay is normal. What you describe is not. What value do you
have configured for Setup // Video // Playback // Advanced Playback
Settings // Audio Read Ahead? I know large values for that can
adversely affect live TV changing between programs.

David
--
David Engel
david@istwok.net
Re: Delay between programs in LiveTV [ In reply to ]
On 2023-03-20 kl. 18:03:01 EET David Engel wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 20, 2023 at 03:48:58PM +0200, Dag Nygren wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > Been using MythTV for a long time now and basically happy, but one thing
> > is starting to bother me:
> >
> > In my installation there is a longish delay (5-10s) between programs when
> > the program changes to the next.
> > During this time the frontend is completely unresponsive and the picture
> > is frozen.
> >
> > I know that we are switching files on the backend during this time, but it
> > shouldn't really take that long to close and open a file?
> >
> > Now my questions are:
> > 1. Is this normal or is it only me?
> > 2. Can I do something about it?
>
> A small delay is normal. What you describe is not. What value do you
> have configured for Setup // Video // Playback // Advanced Playback
> Settings // Audio Read Ahead? I know large values for that can
> adversely affect live TV changing between programs.

Thanks for the tip, but my setting is only 100ms. So not that much.
Will try to reduce it just in case.

Should also have told you that this is v0.31 and I have a huge repository of
almost 30TB of recorded programs. Could this be the problem?

Best
Dag
Re: Delay between programs in LiveTV [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Mar 20, 2023 at 07:51:01PM +0200, Dag Nygren wrote:
> On 2023-03-20 kl. 18:03:01 EET David Engel wrote:
> > On Mon, Mar 20, 2023 at 03:48:58PM +0200, Dag Nygren wrote:
> > > Hi!
> > >
> > > Been using MythTV for a long time now and basically happy, but one thing
> > > is starting to bother me:
> > >
> > > In my installation there is a longish delay (5-10s) between programs when
> > > the program changes to the next.
> > > During this time the frontend is completely unresponsive and the picture
> > > is frozen.
> > >
> > > I know that we are switching files on the backend during this time, but it
> > > shouldn't really take that long to close and open a file?
> > >
> > > Now my questions are:
> > > 1. Is this normal or is it only me?
> > > 2. Can I do something about it?
> >
> > A small delay is normal. What you describe is not. What value do you
> > have configured for Setup // Video // Playback // Advanced Playback
> > Settings // Audio Read Ahead? I know large values for that can
> > adversely affect live TV changing between programs.
>
> Thanks for the tip, but my setting is only 100ms. So not that much.
> Will try to reduce it just in case.

100ms is the lowest setting.

> Should also have told you that this is v0.31 and I have a huge repository of
> almost 30TB of recorded programs. Could this be the problem?

Could be. I certainly misunderstood you case by assuming you were
talking about live TV. I now think you're talking about switching
programs in a playlist. Is that right?

David
--
David Engel
david@istwok.net
Re: Delay between programs in LiveTV [ In reply to ]
On 2023-03-20 kl. 21:06:44 EET David Engel wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 20, 2023 at 07:51:01PM +0200, Dag Nygren wrote:

> > > A small delay is normal. What you describe is not. What value do you
> > > have configured for Setup // Video // Playback // Advanced Playback
> > > Settings // Audio Read Ahead? I know large values for that can
> > > adversely affect live TV changing between programs.
> >
> > Thanks for the tip, but my setting is only 100ms. So not that much.
> > Will try to reduce it just in case.
>
> 100ms is the lowest setting.
>
> > Should also have told you that this is v0.31 and I have a huge repository
> > of almost 30TB of recorded programs. Could this be the problem?
>
> Could be. I certainly misunderstood you case by assuming you were
> talking about live TV. I now think you're talking about switching
> programs in a playlist. Is that right?

Nope. I _was_ talking about LiveTV. But didn't know if there is any interaction with the database
tables for recordings.

Best
Dag