Mailing List Archive

webapp mythtv setup
Klaas

I have added recording profiles to the webapp setup. Not done yet is the
v4l2 part that requires specific hardware.

To run the webapp setup, start mythbackend, navigate to
http://localhost:6744/

Click the setup icon on the left, he icon that looks like a bunch of
sticks arranged vertically

The menu corresponds to the mythtv-setup menu Please give me feedback on
the setup pages and any issues.

Setup is not complete, some capture card types have not been done yet,
and the last item, system events, still has to be done. Channel scan
still has to be done.

I notice you may have been making changes to mythtv-setup. The same
changes will need to be made to the webapp, which is planned to be the
new setup eventually. Let me know when changes are made, or if you
prefer you can make the changes in the Angular code in git in
MythTV/mythtv/mythtv/html/backend/.

Everybody: Feel free to test what I have done and send comments or
suggestions. I am new to Angular so the code may be strange.

Peter
Re: webapp mythtv setup [ In reply to ]
Hi Peter,

Here is some feedback on the webapp setup.

It faithfully shows all capture card configuration, help texts, etc. This
will require some synchronization whenever something is changed in
mythtv-setup but I think we can handle that.
On the plus side is also that it starts up fast, in contrast with
mythtv-setup which requires a long to a very long time to start.

There are however also minus points.
The biggest issue is, I think, the integration with the backend.
For example, I could effortlessly remove a capture card that was actually
being used for making a recording at that very moment.
This should not be possible.
But in general, the backend assumes that the database does not change while
it is running. At the start of the backend the database is read and it is
assumed that configuration values are not changed on the fly. If you want
to enable/allow that you must ensure that for every item the backend is
handling this correctly.
One way of dealing with this could be to make all the changes in a shadow
database and then on a final "apply" stop the backend, make all the changes
to the real database and then restart the backend.
One comparable GUI interface is the one of the router software DD-WRT. Here
you can make changes on all fields on one page, and then you can decide to
apply and save this, and optionally reboot. Unless you are going to change
the backend for each and every change that you can make I think might be
the way forward.
To summarize, I think that at the moment it is a good tool to view the
configuration but not to make changes to the configuration.

Hope this helps,
Klaas.

Re: webapp mythtv setup [ In reply to ]
Hi Klaas

Thank you for the feedback.

I started this last year in May when Stuart asked for volunteers to work
on webapp setup. Paul did the Host Address Backend Setup and Locale
Settings and I did the rest.

The intention is for webapp setup to replace mythtv-setup.

mythtv-setup already expects that you shut down the backend. You can run
mythtv-setup without shutting down the backend and you run the same
risks as with the webapp setup.

I have been thinking about how to handle making updates while the
backend is running. I think I will do something like this: If there is a
recording in progress or scheduled soon, do not allow any saves, display
an error message. If there is no recording in progress or scheduled
soon, disable the scheduler so that nothing can record. After the
updates have been done, the backend will have to restart itself. This
will all have to be built into the setup web app with appropriate
notifications to the user. I have not yet figured out how to disable the
scheduler and how to restart the backend.

This is far from ideal but is not worse than the current situation.

I have done all of the pages now, but there are still some parts
missing, some capture card types and recording profiles that require
hardware I do not have. Also channel scan is not yet done.

I did create all of the setups for satellite devices and their
accessories, but I cannot test any of that.

Peter

Re: webapp mythtv setup [ In reply to ]
Hi Peter,

I am thinking about a Github issue for the webapp. This is a bit more
permanent than the mailing list and it is possible to add attachments such
as screen shots. I think I can contribute at the moment by reviewing and
making suggestions but they will come in small pieces and not in one large
review. A Github issue is a good point where contributions from me and from
others can be collected.
What do you think?

Klaas.

Re: webapp mythtv setup [ In reply to ]
Hi Klaas

I think that is a good idea. I looked at github and I found there is
already a project set up and an issue for the webapp setup.

_Project_
https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/projects/5

_Issue_
https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/issues/239

I updated the issue with my latest status and we can use it to track
comments.

Peter