https://github.com/pypa/pip/issues/11776

The only way to run locally your own python packages is to use a python
virtual environment
See
https://packaging.python.org/en/latest/tutorials/installing-packages/#creating-virtual-environments

This has an impact of a local make/install of the MythTV python bindings!
The bindings may not be installed globally.

Roland
Re: News from Python managed by OS-Distributions [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Mar 1, 2023 at 9:42?PM Roland Ernst <rcrernst@gmail.com> wrote:

> Starting with python 3.11-3, Debian disallows installing foreign python
> modules.
> See
>
> https://salsa.debian.org/cpython-team/python3/-/blob/master/debian/README.venv
> https://peps.python.org/pep-0668/
>
> https://discuss.python.org/t/pep-668-marking-python-base-environments-as-externally-managed/10302/1
> https://discuss.python.org/t/error-externally-managed-environment/24237
> https://github.com/python/cpython/issues/102134
> https://github.com/pypa/pip/issues/11776
>

> The only way to run locally your own python packages is to use a python
> virtual environment
> See
>
> https://packaging.python.org/en/latest/tutorials/installing-packages/#creating-virtual-environments
>
> This has an impact of a local make/install of the MythTV python bindings!
> The bindings may not be installed globally.
>
> Roland

Opened issue https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/issues/731
Review, comments and suggestions are welcome.

Roland
Re: News from Python managed by OS-Distributions [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Mar 1, 2023 at 8:43 PM Roland Ernst <rcrernst@gmail.com> wrote:

> This has an impact of a local make/install of the MythTV python bindings!
> The bindings may not be installed globally.

So, primarily developers and/or advanced users, and
generally not individuals using packages (where the
bindings may be installed globally as I interpret the
plan).

I guess the good news is that for the upcoming Debian 12
(Bookworm) the default python3 is 3.9, so there is time to
address this before Debian 13 (Trixie) which is expected
to be released on or about mid 2025 (although those
running Debian testing (Sid) already have python 3.11).

Does anyone know what other distro's schedules
are for global python install restrictions in upcoming
releases?
Re: News from Python managed by OS-Distributions [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Mar 2, 2023 at 10:57?PM Gary Buhrmaster <gary.buhrmaster@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 1, 2023 at 8:43 PM Roland Ernst <rcrernst@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > This has an impact of a local make/install of the MythTV python bindings!
> > The bindings may not be installed globally.
>
> So, primarily developers and/or advanced users, and
> generally not individuals using packages (where the
> bindings may be installed globally as I interpret the
> plan).
>
> I guess the good news is that for the upcoming Debian 12
> (Bookworm) the default python3 is 3.9, so there is time to
> address this before Debian 13 (Trixie) which is expected
> to be released on or about mid 2025 (although those
> running Debian testing (Sid) already have python 3.11).
>
> Does anyone know what other distro's schedules
> are for global python install restrictions in upcoming
> releases?

Bookworm has already python 3.11 available, see
https://packages.debian.org/bookworm/python3

The upcoming Ubuntu 223.04 has python 3.11 as default,
but it it is not clear to me if this restriction will be implemented.

There is a long discussion on
https://discuss.python.org/t/pep-668-marking-python-base-environments-as-externally-managed/10302
which is worth to read.

Roland
Re: News from Python managed by OS-Distributions [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Mar 2, 2023 at 11:21?PM Roland Ernst <rcrernst@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 2, 2023 at 10:57?PM Gary Buhrmaster <gary.buhrmaster@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Mar 1, 2023 at 8:43 PM Roland Ernst <rcrernst@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > This has an impact of a local make/install of the MythTV python
>> bindings!
>> > The bindings may not be installed globally.
>>
>> So, primarily developers and/or advanced users, and
>> generally not individuals using packages (where the
>> bindings may be installed globally as I interpret the
>> plan).
>>
>> I guess the good news is that for the upcoming Debian 12
>> (Bookworm) the default python3 is 3.9, so there is time to
>> address this before Debian 13 (Trixie) which is expected
>> to be released on or about mid 2025 (although those
>> running Debian testing (Sid) already have python 3.11).
>>
>> Does anyone know what other distro's schedules
>> are for global python install restrictions in upcoming
>> releases?
>>

> Bookworm has already python 3.11 available, see
> https://packages.debian.org/bookworm/python3
>
> The upcoming Ubuntu 223.04 has python 3.11 as default,
> but it it is not clear to me if this restriction will be implemented.
>
> There is a long discussion on
>
> https://discuss.python.org/t/pep-668-marking-python-base-environments-as-externally-managed/10302
> which is worth to read.
>
> Roland

It is landed in Ubuntu 23.04, see
https://fostips.com/pip-install-error-ubuntu-2304/

Fedora is still waiting, see
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/PythonMarkExternallyManaged

For advanced Ubuntu users compiling and installing MythTV from source,
do a "export PIP_BREAK_SYSTEM_PACKAGES=1" before the
installation of the local build.

Roland