Mailing List Archive

FFmpeg 6.0
Good day,

The current FFmpeg in MythTV is a LTS release
so there is no hurry to upgrade (in theory, important
fixes will get included in some 5.2 future update),
but FFmpeg 6.0 was released yesterday as the
next newest best version.

The FFmpeg team states that it is their intent to
release one major version per year going forward,
with the intention to formally remove deprecated
APIs after 3 releases (rather than letting them
linger for (almost) forever as in some past cases).

A couple of things caught my attention that might
(eventually) be of interest.

* Various HDR improvements
* MediaCodec support (via NDKMediaCodec)
* Improved parallelism (threading)
* AV1 encoding support
* oneVPL support for QSV

The full announcement is on the FFmpeg main
page:

https://ffmpeg.org/
Re: FFmpeg 6.0 [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Mar 01, 2023 at 06:19:25PM +0000, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> Good day,
>
> The current FFmpeg in MythTV is a LTS release
> so there is no hurry to upgrade (in theory, important
> fixes will get included in some 5.2 future update),
> but FFmpeg 6.0 was released yesterday as the
> next newest best version.

I saw that but haven't investigated yet.

> The FFmpeg team states that it is their intent to
> release one major version per year going forward,
> with the intention to formally remove deprecated
> APIs after 3 releases (rather than letting them
> linger for (almost) forever as in some past cases).
>
> A couple of things caught my attention that might
> (eventually) be of interest.
>
> * Various HDR improvements
> * MediaCodec support (via NDKMediaCodec)

Ooh, that sounds very interesting. A change to use AImageReader for
rendering and bypasses the Java interface has been on my radar for a
while. I wonder if this is the official inclusion of that support.

Of course, possibly using Google Flutter for an entirely, new,
cross-platform, frontend has been on my much more distant radar too.

David

--
David Engel
david@istwok.net