Testing the default and default-wide themes
Hello all,

How do I test the default and default-wide themes?

I am confident in my changes to them in
https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/pull/646 since they are the same for
all themes, but I was wondering how to test those themes.

Thanks,

Scott Theisen
Re: Testing the default and default-wide themes [ In reply to ]
On 01/10/2022 00:02, Scott Theisen wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> How do I test the default and default-wide themes?
>
> I am confident in my changes to them in
> https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/pull/646 since they are the same for
> all themes, but I was wondering how to test those themes.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Scott Theisen

They are only used as a fallback if your chosen theme doesn't have a
particular <window> definition.

If the theme is a wide theme then the search for the <window> will go
look in the theme first then fallback to default-wide and finally try
default.

If the theme is a 4:3 theme the the search will look in the theme first
then try default.

To test them you can rename the <window> or comment it out in the active
theme so the fallback will work. It doesn't always look good because of
differences in the base elements but it's considered better that not
working at all.

Paul H.

Re: Testing the default and default-wide themes [ In reply to ]
On 01/10/2022 01:32, Paul Harrison wrote:

> On 01/10/2022 00:02, Scott Theisen wrote:
>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> How do I test the default and default-wide themes?
>>
>> I am confident in my changes to them in
>> https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/pull/646 since they are the same for
>> all themes, but I was wondering how to test those themes.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Scott Theisen
>>

> They are only used as a fallback if your chosen theme doesn't have a
> particular <window> definition.
>

> If the theme is a wide theme then the search for the <window> will go
> look in the theme first then fallback to default-wide and finally try
> default.
>

> If the theme is a 4:3 theme the the search will look in the theme
> first then try default.
>

> To test them you can rename the <window> or comment it out in the
> active theme so the fallback will work. It doesn't always look good
> because of differences in the base elements but it's considered better
> that not working at all.
>

> Paul H.

I meant to say it doesn't seem a good enough reason to break all themes
IMHO? If it was for a feature addition or change then I can live with it
but for what appears to be some code clean up I'm not so sure.

Paul H.

Re: Testing the default and default-wide themes [ In reply to ]
On 9/30/22 20:35, Paul Harrison wrote:
> On 01/10/2022 01:32, Paul Harrison wrote:
>
>> On 01/10/2022 00:02, Scott Theisen wrote:
>>
>>> Hello all,
>>>
>>> How do I test the default and default-wide themes?
>>>
>>> I am confident in my changes to them in
>>> https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/pull/646 since they are the same
>>> for all themes, but I was wondering how to test those themes.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Scott Theisen
>>>

>> They are only used as a fallback if your chosen theme doesn't have a
>> particular <window> definition.
>>

>> If the theme is a wide theme then the search for the <window> will go
>> look in the theme first then fallback to default-wide and finally try
>> default.
>>

>> If the theme is a 4:3 theme the the search will look in the theme
>> first then try default.
>>

>> To test them you can rename the <window> or comment it out in the
>> active theme so the fallback will work. It doesn't always look good
>> because of differences in the base elements but it's considered
>> better that not working at all.

Changing the <window> name worked, thanks.  MythCenter looked the same.
MythCenter-wide has the "pagetitle" more in the corner, but was
otherwise the same.

> I meant to say it doesn't seem a good enough reason to break all
> themes IMHO? If it was for a feature addition or change then I can
> live with it but for what appears to be some code clean up I'm not so
> sure.
>

> Paul H.

I don't understand this comment; it doesn't seem to follow the rest.
Setting the subtitle of a manual recording in mythfrontend is a new feature.

Regards,

Scott
Re: Testing the default and default-wide themes [ In reply to ]
On 01/10/2022 02:23, Scott Theisen wrote:
> On 9/30/22 20:35, Paul Harrison wrote:
>> I meant to say it doesn't seem a good enough reason to break all
>> themes IMHO? If it was for a feature addition or change then I can
>> live with it but for what appears to be some code clean up I'm not so
>> sure.
>>

>> Paul H.
>>

> I don't understand this comment; it doesn't seem to follow the rest.
> Setting the subtitle of a manual recording in mythfrontend is a new
> feature.
>
> Regards,
>
> Scott

Ah!. Sorry I didn't look at the pull request I assumed this was for the
theme changes required because of this comment although I admit I didn't
look too closely at what needs to change and whether it's a good enough
reason to break stuff.

https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/pull/642#issuecomment-1260210103

My concern is we known from the likes of the SD statistics that we are
loosing users at a alarming rate so the last thing we need is for stuff
to be broken like themes that can be avoided otherwise a lot of users
will just say sod it it's broken again I don't need this anymore and
it's another user lost. We need to make life easier for users not harder.

Paul H.

Re: Testing the default and default-wide themes [ In reply to ]
On 10/1/22 06:35, Paul Harrison wrote:
> On 01/10/2022 02:23, Scott Theisen wrote:
>> On 9/30/22 20:35, Paul Harrison wrote:
>>> I meant to say it doesn't seem a good enough reason to break all
>>> themes IMHO? If it was for a feature addition or change then I can
>>> live with it but for what appears to be some code clean up I'm not
>>> so sure.
>>>

>>> Paul H.
>>>

>> I don't understand this comment; it doesn't seem to follow the rest.
>> Setting the subtitle of a manual recording in mythfrontend is a new
>> feature.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Scott
>>

> Ah!. Sorry I didn't look at the pull request I assumed this was for
> the theme changes required because of this comment although I admit I
> didn't look too closely at what needs to change and whether it's a
> good enough reason to break stuff.
>
> https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/pull/642#issuecomment-1260210103
>

> My concern is we known from the likes of the SD statistics that we are
> loosing users at a alarming rate so the last thing we need is for
> stuff to be broken like themes that can be avoided otherwise a lot of
> users will just say sod it it's broken again I don't need this anymore
> and it's another user lost. We need to make life easier for users not
> harder.
>

> Paul H.

The bundled themes don't use <window name="program_info"> <statetype
name="audiocodec">, which is what the linked comment is about.  Adding
the few extra <state>s is perfectly backwards compatible.

I understand the desire to not break things, which is why the new
<window name="manualschedule"> <textedit name="subtitle"> is optional.
The theme change is backwards compatible, but has the downside that the
new textedit widget does not effect anything without the MythTV change.

Regards,

Scott