required for the upcoming release v.33.0.
An example:
Currently, we need to support Ubuntu 18.04, 20.04 and 22.04.
The 22.04.1 release is targeted to August 4, 2022
The support for 18.04 ends April, 2023.
I do not know details about EL7 / CentOS 7 support.
Reducing test scenarios would be a great help, at least for me.

Roland
Re: MythTV v33: minimal requirements [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 2022-06-20 at 21:02 +0200, Roland Ernst wrote:
> A recent commit popped up the question about minimal build and
> runtime dependencies
> required for the upcoming release v.33.0.
> An example:
> Currently, we need to support Ubuntu 18.04, 20.04 and 22.04.

I thought we only supported the two most recent LTS releases, so only
20.04 and 22.04. Without Ubuntu 18.04 the base Qt requirement can be
bumped from 5.9 to 5.12.

> The 22.04.1 release is targeted to August 4, 2022
> The support for 18.04 ends April, 2023.
> I do not know details about EL7 / CentOS 7 support.

I no longer have Centos 7 or 8 VMs. I do have a Centos 8 Stream VM
which is running Qt 5.15.

David

Re: MythTV v33: minimal requirements [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Jun 20, 2022 at 7:03 PM Roland Ernst <rcrernst@gmail.com> wrote:

> Currently, we need to support Ubuntu 18.04, 20.04 and 22.04.

Technically, according to the wiki, only current
and LTS at the time of release is actually targeted

Platform support: Myth targets distro support for maintained
releases at the following revisions:
Debian "stable"
Fedora "current" and "current-1"
Ubuntu "current" and "LTS"

> The 22.04.1 release is targeted to August 4, 2022
> The support for 18.04 ends April, 2023.

Unless v33 releases soon (unlikely?), that
will mean v18.04 will have EoL'ed before v33.

> I do not know details about EL7 / CentOS 7 support.
> Reducing test scenarios would be a great help, at least for me.

Again, technically no EL is targeted. However,
in particular, EL7 is no longer supported for v32
(or above) so is a non-issue. I think technically,
now that EL9 is released(*), EL8 probably no
longer needs to be tested (there are a couple
of packages that are still outstanding to make
EL9 actually fully usable, but there are open
bugzillas and 3rd party COPRs that fill in the
gap(s) until the software that is needed gets
officially built).

That all said, having a builder network to
identify issues on alternative platforms is
a good thing, even if not technically
supported.

Perhaps what "we" (i.e. you?) need to do
is create additional test(s) that the builders
can perform (as part of their "make tests")
to reduce your personal workload? Those
tests are sometimes useful to identify
code (or distro (can you spell regex?))
issues.

(*) Somewhere on my todo list is to
update the ansible scripts for el9. It
is not currently near the top.
Re: MythTV v33: minimal requirements [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Jun 20, 2022 at 9:44 PM Gary Buhrmaster <gary.buhrmaster@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 20, 2022 at 7:03 PM Roland Ernst <rcrernst@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Currently, we need to support Ubuntu 18.04, 20.04 and 22.04.
>
> Technically, according to the wiki, only current
> and LTS at the time of release is actually targeted
>
> Platform support: Myth targets distro support for maintained
> releases at the following revisions:
> Debian "stable"
> Fedora "current" and "current-1"
> Ubuntu "current" and "LTS"
>
> > The 22.04.1 release is targeted to August 4, 2022
> > The support for 18.04 ends April, 2023.
>
> Unless v33 releases soon (unlikely?), that
> will mean v18.04 will have EoL'ed before v33.

AFAIK, stuarta announced a more frequent release schedule.
I asked for the definition of this next, upcoming release.
It should be clearly defined.

Roland
Re: MythTV v33: minimal requirements [ In reply to ]
On 20/06/2022 21:54, Roland Ernst wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 20, 2022 at 9:44 PM Gary Buhrmaster
> <gary.buhrmaster@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Mon, Jun 20, 2022 at 7:03 PM Roland Ernst <rcrernst@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Currently, we need to support Ubuntu 18.04, 20.04 and 22.04.
>
> Technically, according to the wiki, only current
> and LTS at the time of release is actually targeted
>
>    Platform support: Myth targets distro support for maintained
> releases at the following revisions:
>       Debian "stable"
>       Fedora "current" and "current-1"
>       Ubuntu "current" and "LTS"
>
> > The 22.04.1 release is targeted to August 4, 2022
> > The support for 18.04 ends April, 2023.
>
> Unless v33 releases soon (unlikely?), that
> will mean v18.04 will have EoL'ed before v33.
>

> AFAIK, stuarta announced a more frequent release schedule.
> I asked for the definition of this next,  upcoming release.
> It should be clearly defined.
>
> Roland

The PPA's are still building for 18.04 (Bionic) and 20.04 (Focal) LTS
releases and I don't see why we can't continue to do that until
something breaks the builds and we have to retire the builds for the
older distros.

The plan is to release every 6 months in line with the Ubuntu releases
since most users us that distro. So if everything goes to plan then v33
will be released before the feature freeze date for 22.10 which is
August 25th. It was real pain to get v32 ready for 22.04 so I'll be
honest I have my doubts we can follow through the plan.

Paul H.
Re: MythTV v33: minimal requirements [ In reply to ]
On 20/06/2022 22:27, Paul Harrison wrote:
> On 20/06/2022 21:54, Roland Ernst wrote:
>

>> On Mon, Jun 20, 2022 at 9:44 PM Gary Buhrmaster
>> <gary.buhrmaster@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Jun 20, 2022 at 7:03 PM Roland Ernst <rcrernst@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> > Currently, we need to support Ubuntu 18.04, 20.04 and 22.04.
>>
>> Technically, according to the wiki, only current
>> and LTS at the time of release is actually targeted
>>
>>    Platform support: Myth targets distro support for maintained
>> releases at the following revisions:
>>       Debian "stable"
>>       Fedora "current" and "current-1"
>>       Ubuntu "current" and "LTS"
>>
>> > The 22.04.1 release is targeted to August 4, 2022
>> > The support for 18.04 ends April, 2023.
>>
>> Unless v33 releases soon (unlikely?), that
>> will mean v18.04 will have EoL'ed before v33.
>>

>> AFAIK, stuarta announced a more frequent release schedule.
>> I asked for the definition of this next,  upcoming release.
>> It should be clearly defined.
>>
>> Roland
>>

> The PPA's are still building for 18.04 (Bionic) and 20.04 (Focal) LTS
> releases and I don't see why we can't continue to do that until
> something breaks the builds and we have to retire the builds for the
> older distros.

Anything before 20.04 falls under the "might work" scenario.
You are right, until it actually breaks it will keep being built.

> The plan is to release every 6 months in line with the Ubuntu releases
> since most users us that distro. So if everything goes to plan then v33
> will be released before the feature freeze date for 22.10 which is
> August 25th. It was real pain to get v32 ready for 22.04 so I'll be
> honest I have my doubts we can follow through the plan.

I suspect the more practice we get the easier it will be....

Regards
Stuart