that affect the MythTV code.

Once they are done, we can attempt merging ffmpeg 5.

Does this sound good to you? Do you have any recommendations for a
better way to get everything merged with the least pain?. Having the
MythTV/FFmpeg repository makes it easier to merge new versions, but does
separate out the history and makes it more difficult to track down bugs,
however I don't know of any better way.

Peter

Re: ffmpeg pull requests [ In reply to ]
Peter,

You already merged all of the changes to FFmpeg from
https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/pull/416 (except
https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/pull/416/commits/5c6288f52f6c6b3e07992bae6c9ba80e051fbb78
and
https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/pull/416/commits/a51d4e8b67cfa5dc54744c7339527c2c79d14455)
to https://github.com/MythTV/FFmpeg/commits/master back in February.

However, I have slightly re-worked some of the changes to make them more
coherent and grouped together, instead of mixing it all together as I
went.  The end results should be the same, however.

On 5/31/22 09:41, Peter Bennett wrote:
> Please can you let me know which ffmpeg pull requests are ready to go.

https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/pull/557 ByteReader (replace
avpriv_find_start_code) the change to FFmpeg is in a separate commit and
not strictly necessary for that PR (although it does silence many
warnings when compiling FFmpeg).  This PR needs to be merged before I
can submit my BitReader PR to replace the use of get_bits.h and golomb.h
in MythTV (shared context lines in MythTV).

https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/pull/565 lavc/utils-mythtv.c (MythTV
changes depend on the FFmpeg changes in order to work fully.)

https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/pull/566 libpostproc; solely changes to
FFmpeg, identical to what you already merged. Independent of all other
changes.

https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/pull/568 independent MythTV change
split from a commit that I have redone.

> Code changes need to be applied to the MythTV/FFmpeg repository first,
> then we can copy the structure into MythTV/mythtv, ffgmpeg-resync branch.

An alternative would be to edit the patches generated by `git
format-patch` to remove the MythTV parts and fix the paths, `git am
*.patch` to apply them to ffmpeg/release/4.4 and then rebase onto
master.  (This is what I did to move the patches back and forth between
the two repositories).

> we need to keep commits that affect ffmpeg separate from ones that
> affect the MythTV code.

They are interdependent, so that is impossible.  Most FFmpeg changes
depend on MythTV changes, but some MythTV changes depend on FFmpeg changes.

> Once they are done, we can attempt merging ffmpeg 5.
>
> Does this sound good to you? Do you have any recommendations for a
> better way to get everything merged with the least pain?. Having the
> MythTV/FFmpeg repository makes it easier to merge new versions, but
> does separate out the history and makes it more difficult to track
> down bugs, however I don't know of any better way.

The cleanup changes depend on each other (both ways), so that history
needs to be in the MythTV repository.

I want to merge the changes to MythTV first, because of their
interdependence, and to create a sensible history for bisection if
necessary.  Then, I can separate out the changes to FFmpeg as described
above (if necessary, although I know I made some different changes);
however, I'm not sure if you want to keep the ffmpeg/master history that
you already merged or create a new history that is one to one with the
MythTV repository.

However, my mpegts-mythtv.c harmonization should, in my opinion, appear
in the MythTV repository as a single monolithic change because I can't
guarantee that it works at each commit.  It compiles at each commit and
works at the end, but I didn't test the intermediate commits.  This
should be separate from and before the merging of FFmpeg 5.0.

Regards,

Scott
Re: ffmpeg pull requests [ In reply to ]
On 5/31/22 21:22, Scott Theisen wrote:
> [...]
> needs to be in the MythTV repository.
>
> I want to merge the changes to MythTV first, because of their
> interdependence, and to create a sensible history for bisection if
> necessary.  Then, I can separate out the changes to FFmpeg as
> described above (if necessary, although I know I made some different
> changes); however, I'm not sure if you want to keep the ffmpeg/master
> history that you already merged or create a new history that is one to
> one with the MythTV repository.
>
> However, my mpegts-mythtv.c harmonization should, in my opinion,
> appear in the MythTV repository as a single monolithic change because
> I can't guarantee that it works at each commit.  It compiles at each
> commit and works at the end, but I didn't test the intermediate
> commits.  This should be separate from and before the merging of

On second thought, I think the only MythTV changes that depend on FFmpeg
changes are av_disposition (https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/pull/575 )
and lavc/utils (https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/pull/565 ), so other
than those two the already merged in ffmpeg/master history will suffice.

I'll create PRs for just the changes to MythTV and a new PR to FFmpeg
for the av_disposition change.

Regards,

Scott
Re: ffmpeg pull requests [ In reply to ]
av_disposition: https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/pull/575 and
https://github.com/MythTV/FFmpeg/pull/5 or first commit in
https://github.com/MythTV/FFmpeg/pull/4 (which uses the new `#define`)

lavc/utils-mythtv: https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/pull/565 the changes
to FFmpeg are already merged to FFmpeg/master, but I can redo it to make
the minimal changes to FFmpeg if desired.

MythTV only changes:
https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/pull/557 ByteReader
https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/pull/577 BitReader (depends on/includes
ByteReader)
https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/pull/576 Miscellaneous MythTV changes

After those and the rest of the changes to FFmpeg are merged into
MythTV, the harmonize commits can be tested, particularly with
DSMCC/MHEG which I don't have access to.
https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/pull/524 corresponds to
https://github.com/MythTV/FFmpeg/pull/4 note:
https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/pull/524/commits/323e3ddaa4ac9acced65d9826908f41a1360932d

Regards,

Scott
Re: ffmpeg pull requests [ In reply to ]
On 6/1/22 01:05, Scott Theisen wrote:
> av_disposition: https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/pull/575 and
> https://github.com/MythTV/FFmpeg/pull/5 or first commit in
> https://github.com/MythTV/FFmpeg/pull/4 (which uses the new `#define`)
>
> lavc/utils-mythtv: https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/pull/565 the
> changes to FFmpeg are already merged to FFmpeg/master, but I can redo
> it to make the minimal changes to FFmpeg if desired.
>
> MythTV only changes:
> https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/pull/557 ByteReader
> https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/pull/577 BitReader (depends
> on/includes ByteReader)
> https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/pull/576 Miscellaneous MythTV changes
>
> After those and the rest of the changes to FFmpeg are merged into
> MythTV, the harmonize commits can be tested, particularly with
> DSMCC/MHEG which I don't have access to.
> https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/pull/524 corresponds to
> https://github.com/MythTV/FFmpeg/pull/4 note:
> https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/pull/524/commits/323e3ddaa4ac9acced65d9826908f41a1360932d
>
> Regards,
>
> Scott

Let's not redo anything that is already done if it is correct. I can
continue with committing to the ffmpeg-resync branch. I will first
rebase ffmpeg-resync onto master.

FFmpeg Pull request #4 states that it replaces #3, should we close #3?

You say above either pull#5 or first commit in pull #4. Is the rest of
pull #4 already in the mythtv pull request, or where does it fit in?

Are we doing 565, 566, 568 as mentioned in your first response? Are we
doing 575 as mentioned in your second response?

After committing the ffmpeg pull requests will the mythtv copy of ffmpeg
match the FFmpeg copy? Or is that a later synchronization? Or should I
copy it now?

Perhaps you could summarize what should actually be done and in what order?

At the end of the day, the source code in FFmpeg repo should match the
mythtv/external/ffmpeg contents.

Peter

Re: ffmpeg pull requests [ In reply to ]
On 6/1/22 15:40, Peter Bennett wrote:

> On 6/1/22 01:05, Scott Theisen wrote:
>> av_disposition: https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/pull/575 and
>> https://github.com/MythTV/FFmpeg/pull/5 or first commit in
>> https://github.com/MythTV/FFmpeg/pull/4 (which uses the new `#define`)
>>
>> lavc/utils-mythtv: https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/pull/565 the
>> changes to FFmpeg are already merged to FFmpeg/master, but I can redo
>> it to make the minimal changes to FFmpeg if desired.
>>
>> MythTV only changes:
>> https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/pull/557 ByteReader
>> https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/pull/577 BitReader (depends
>> on/includes ByteReader)
>> https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/pull/576 Miscellaneous MythTV changes
>>
>> After those and the rest of the changes to FFmpeg are merged into
>> MythTV, the harmonize commits can be tested, particularly with
>> DSMCC/MHEG which I don't have access to.
>> https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/pull/524 corresponds to
>> https://github.com/MythTV/FFmpeg/pull/4 note:
>> https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/pull/524/commits/323e3ddaa4ac9acced65d9826908f41a1360932d
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Scott
>
> Let's not redo anything that is already done if it is correct. I can
> continue with committing to the ffmpeg-resync branch. I will first
> rebase ffmpeg-resync onto master.
>
> FFmpeg Pull request #4 states that it replaces #3, should we close #3?

I have now closed #3.

> You say above either pull#5 or first commit in pull #4. Is the rest of
> pull #4 already in the mythtv pull request, or where does it fit in?

This is the harmonization of mpegts-mythtv.(c|h) with mpegts.(c|h),
which replaces the use of the deprecated AVPacket API, hopefully
allowing it to compile with FFmpeg 5.0 without further change.  This
also allows us to see what the customizations actually are.  This is the
second step to the cleanup, following the already merged to
ffmpeg/master cleanup.

https://github.com/MythTV/FFmpeg/pull/4 corresponds to
https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/pull/524 .  However, 524
includes/depends on pull#416

> Are we doing 565, 566, 568 as mentioned in your first response? Are we
> doing 575 as mentioned in your second response?

565: yes
566: maybe, only if you want that history in mythtv separate from
copying over FFmpeg/master
568: yes, minor stylistic change to MythTV I made when doing otherwise
orthogonal changes.
575: yes

> After committing the ffmpeg pull requests will the mythtv copy of
> ffmpeg match the FFmpeg copy? Or is that a later synchronization? Or
> should I copy it now?
>
> Perhaps you could summarize what should actually be done and in what
> order?
>
> At the end of the day, the source code in FFmpeg repo should match the
> mythtv/external/ffmpeg contents.
>
> Peter

Summary/order of operations:
1a. https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/pull/568 stylistic change
1b. https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/pull/565 lavc/utils-mythtv.c
1c. https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/pull/576 Miscellaneous MythTV changes
1z. https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/pull/557 ByteReader

2.   https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/pull/577 BitReader (depends on 1z
only)
2a. test? I'm not sure how.

3.   copy FFmpeg/master into mythtv (depends on all of 1 and 2)

4.   Test changes to FFmpeg (should have already tested good)

5*. https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/pull/575 and
https://github.com/MythTV/FFmpeg/pull/5 av_disposition should be added
here to match the histories of FFmpeg and mythtv (otherwise it could be
part of 1)

6. apply the harmonize commits to FFmpeg
https://github.com/MythTV/FFmpeg/pull/4

7. copy the harmonized FFmpeg to mythtv

8. Test new mpegts-mythtv, especially with DSMCC/MHEG, which I couldn't
test.

9. Apply FFmpeg commits until version 5.0

10.  copy FFmpeg 5.0 into mythtv

11. test FFmpeg 5.0

Does that make sense?

Scott
Re: ffmpeg pull requests [ In reply to ]
On 6/1/22 16:36, Scott Theisen wrote:

> [...]
>> should I copy it now?
>>
>> Perhaps you could summarize what should actually be done and in what
>> order?
>>
>> At the end of the day, the source code in FFmpeg repo should match
>> the mythtv/external/ffmpeg contents.
>>
>> Peter
>>

> Summary/order of operations:
> 1a. https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/pull/568 stylistic change
> 1b. https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/pull/565 lavc/utils-mythtv.c
> 1c. https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/pull/576 Miscellaneous MythTV
> changes
> 1z. https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/pull/557 ByteReader
>
> 2.   https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/pull/577 BitReader (depends on
> 1z only)
> 2a. test? I'm not sure how.
>
> 3.   copy FFmpeg/master into mythtv (depends on all of 1 and 2)

I'm not sure how you want to do this because there were 331 commits in
c67d2a287502845baadf986a9c63e6117a25be3f..7e0d640edf6c3eee1816b105c2f7498c4f948e74
(base of MythTV/FFmpeg/master and base of MythTV/FFmpeg/release/4.4) so
simply copying FFmpeg/master into MythTV creates a very large diff with
lots of extraneous changes.

Should I create a new PR against
https://github.com/MythTV/FFmpeg/tree/release/4.4 that has my changes
already in FFmpeg/master?

Regards,

Scott

Re: ffmpeg pull requests [ In reply to ]
On 6/1/22 20:43, Scott Theisen wrote:

> On 6/1/22 16:36, Scott Theisen wrote:
>>
>> 3.   copy FFmpeg/master into mythtv (depends on all of 1 and 2)
>
> Peter,
>
> I'm not sure how you want to do this because there were 331 commits in
> c67d2a287502845baadf986a9c63e6117a25be3f..7e0d640edf6c3eee1816b105c2f7498c4f948e74
> (base of MythTV/FFmpeg/master and base of MythTV/FFmpeg/release/4.4)
> so simply copying FFmpeg/master into MythTV creates a very large diff
> with lots of extraneous changes.
>
> Should I create a new PR against
> https://github.com/MythTV/FFmpeg/tree/release/4.4 that has my changes
> already in FFmpeg/master?
>
> Regards,
>
> Scott

Or would creating a PR against MythTV with the individual commits make
more sense?
Re: ffmpeg pull requests [ In reply to ]
On 6/1/22 20:43, Scott Theisen wrote:
> Peter,
>
> I'm not sure how you want to do this because there were 331 commits in
> c67d2a287502845baadf986a9c63e6117a25be3f..7e0d640edf6c3eee1816b105c2f7498c4f948e74
> (base of MythTV/FFmpeg/master and base of MythTV/FFmpeg/release/4.4)
> so simply copying FFmpeg/master into MythTV creates a very large diff
> with lots of extraneous changes.
>
> Should I create a new PR against
> https://github.com/MythTV/FFmpeg/tree/release/4.4 that has my changes
> already in FFmpeg/master?
>
> Regards,
>
> Scott

What I have done up to now is maintain the ffmpeg history in
MythTV/FFmpeg, and copy it over into MythTV when moving to a new
version. This does create a large commit with a lot of extraneous
changes, and we live with that. The Actual history would be in
MythTV/FFmpeg.

At this point we should not be updating
https://github.com/MythTV/FFmpeg/tree/release/4.4. All updating should
be in  https://github.com/MythTV/FFmpeg/tree/master. Eventually we will
merge the real FFmpeg master into MythTV/FFmpeg/master, but only up to
the point where they branched off version 5. Then create our own version
5 from that point and merge in FFmpeg version 5 branch into our version
5 branch.

Peter

Re: ffmpeg pull requests [ In reply to ]
On 6/2/22 09:45, Peter Bennett wrote:

> On 6/1/22 20:43, Scott Theisen wrote:
>> Peter,
>>
>> I'm not sure how you want to do this because there were 331 commits
>> in
>> c67d2a287502845baadf986a9c63e6117a25be3f..7e0d640edf6c3eee1816b105c2f7498c4f948e74
>> (base of MythTV/FFmpeg/master and base of MythTV/FFmpeg/release/4.4)
>> so simply copying FFmpeg/master into MythTV creates a very large diff
>> with lots of extraneous changes.
>>
>> Should I create a new PR against
>> https://github.com/MythTV/FFmpeg/tree/release/4.4 that has my changes
>> already in FFmpeg/master?
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Scott
>
> What I have done up to now is maintain the ffmpeg history in
> MythTV/FFmpeg, and copy it over into MythTV when moving to a new
> version. This does create a large commit with a lot of extraneous
> changes, and we live with that. The Actual history would be in
> MythTV/FFmpeg.
>
> At this point we should not be updating
> https://github.com/MythTV/FFmpeg/tree/release/4.4. All updating should
> be in  https://github.com/MythTV/FFmpeg/tree/master. Eventually we
> will merge the real FFmpeg master into MythTV/FFmpeg/master, but only
> up to the point where they branched off version 5. Then create our own
> version 5 from that point and merge in FFmpeg version 5 branch into
> our version 5 branch.
>
> Peter

So, if I understand correctly, because my harmonize commits depend on
the cleanup to the rest of FFmpeg and to enable testing of just those
cleanup changes to FFmpeg, after the MythTV changes (568, 565, 576, 557,
& 577) have been merged I should create another pull request (or
probably reuse 416) to MythTV that contains the rest of the cleanup
changes to FFmpeg that are already in FFmpeg/master.

After those cleanup changes have been committed to MythTV, I can rebase
https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/pull/524 to just have the harmonize
commits also in https://github.com/MythTV/FFmpeg/pull/4 to enable
testing of the harmonize changes.

Scott

Re: ffmpeg pull requests [ In reply to ]
On 6/2/22 13:39, Scott Theisen wrote:
> On 6/2/22 09:45, Peter Bennett wrote:
>>
>> On 6/1/22 20:43, Scott Theisen wrote:
>>> Peter,
>>>
>>> I'm not sure how you want to do this because there were 331 commits
>>> in
>>> c67d2a287502845baadf986a9c63e6117a25be3f..7e0d640edf6c3eee1816b105c2f7498c4f948e74
>>> (base of MythTV/FFmpeg/master and base of MythTV/FFmpeg/release/4.4)
>>> so simply copying FFmpeg/master into MythTV creates a very large
>>> diff with lots of extraneous changes.
>>>
>>> Should I create a new PR against
>>> https://github.com/MythTV/FFmpeg/tree/release/4.4 that has my
>>> changes already in FFmpeg/master?
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Scott
>>
>> What I have done up to now is maintain the ffmpeg history in
>> MythTV/FFmpeg, and copy it over into MythTV when moving to a new
>> version. This does create a large commit with a lot of extraneous
>> changes, and we live with that. The Actual history would be in
>> MythTV/FFmpeg.
>>
>> At this point we should not be updating
>> https://github.com/MythTV/FFmpeg/tree/release/4.4. All updating
>> should be in  https://github.com/MythTV/FFmpeg/tree/master.
>> Eventually we will merge the real FFmpeg master into
>> MythTV/FFmpeg/master, but only up to the point where they branched
>> off version 5. Then create our own version 5 from that point and
>> merge in FFmpeg version 5 branch into our version 5 branch.
>>
>> Peter
>>

> So, if I understand correctly, because my harmonize commits depend on
> the cleanup to the rest of FFmpeg and to enable testing of just those
> cleanup changes to FFmpeg, after the MythTV changes (568, 565, 576,
> 557, & 577) have been merged I should create another pull request (or
> probably reuse 416) to MythTV that contains the rest of the cleanup
> changes to FFmpeg that are already in FFmpeg/master.
>
> After those cleanup changes have been committed to MythTV, I can
> rebase https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/pull/524 to just have the
> harmonize commits also in https://github.com/MythTV/FFmpeg/pull/4 to
> enable testing of the harmonize changes.
>
> Scott

Can I just follow your original list?

Plus a couple of steps of mine.

Summary/order of operations:
0a. Apply 2 commits to MythTV/FFmpeg master that were made in
MythTV/mythtv master:
  * 6a79086179 2022/02/24 Martin Storsjö : configure: arm: Don't add
-march= to the compiler if no preference was passed
  * 85d37a5915 2022/02/24 Anton Khirnov : configure: link to libatomic
when it's present
0b. rebase MythTV/mythtv devel/ffmpeg-resync from MythTV/mythtv master.
There are 76 commits here.

Re: ffmpeg pull requests [ In reply to ]
New plan:
1. https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/pull/416 ffmpeg cleanup which includes:
1.1a. https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/pull/568 stylistic change
1.1b. https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/pull/565 lavc/utils-mythtv.c
1.1c. https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/pull/576 Miscellaneous MythTV
changes
1.1z. https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/pull/557 ByteReader

1.2. https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/pull/577 BitReader (depends on 1z
only)
1.2a. test bitreader independently? I'm not sure how.

1.3. ffmpeg-cleanup also includes av_disposition which is the first
commit inhttps://github.com/MythTV/FFmpeg/pull/4 and the second
mpegts-mythtv.h harmonize commit (in reverse order for some unknown reason)

2. test new FFmpeg cleanup

3. merge FFmpeg cleanup into master

4. apply the harmonize commits to a MythTV branch (I'll rebase
https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/pull/524 once the cleanup commits are
merged.)

5. Test the harmonize branch, especially with DSMCC/MHEG, which I
couldn't test.

6. apply the harmonize commits to FFmpeg
https://github.com/MythTV/FFmpeg/pull/4

7. Apply FFmpeg commits until version 5.0

8.  copy FFmpeg 5.0 into mythtv

9. test FFmpeg 5.0

Scott
Re: ffmpeg pull requests [ In reply to ]
On 6/12/22 21:08, Scott Theisen wrote:
> New plan:
> 1. https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/pull/416 ffmpeg cleanup which
> includes:
> 1.1a. https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/pull/568 stylistic change
> 1.1b. https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/pull/565 lavc/utils-mythtv.c
> 1.1c. https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/pull/576 Miscellaneous MythTV
> changes
> 1.1z. https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/pull/557 ByteReader
>
> 1.2. https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/pull/577 BitReader (depends on
> 1z only)
> 1.2a. test bitreader independently? I'm not sure how.
>
> 1.3. ffmpeg-cleanup also includes av_disposition which is the first
> commit inhttps://github.com/MythTV/FFmpeg/pull/4 and the second
> mpegts-mythtv.h harmonize commit (in reverse order for some unknown
> reason)
>
> 2. test new FFmpeg cleanup
>
> 3. merge FFmpeg cleanup into master
>
> 4. apply the harmonize commits to a MythTV branch (I'll rebase
> https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/pull/524 once the cleanup commits are
> merged.)
>
> 5. Test the harmonize branch, especially with DSMCC/MHEG, which I
> couldn't test.
>
> 6. apply the harmonize commits to FFmpeg
> https://github.com/MythTV/FFmpeg/pull/4
>
> 7. Apply FFmpeg commits until version 5.0
>
> 8.  copy FFmpeg 5.0 into mythtv
>
> 9. test FFmpeg 5.0
>
> Scott

Thanks for rebasing that.

I recreated devel/ffmpeg-sync from master and ran step 1 (pull #416).
There were 66 commits applied successfully. I have pushed it, so you can
look at it.

50 of these commits updated files in external/FFmpeg.

Do you have a FFmpeg pull request that makes these changes in the
mythtv/FFmpeg repository? How will we get them to MythTV/FFmpeg?

I prefer to keep commits that update FFmpeg separate from ones that
don't, because of the separate FFmpeg repository we have. Are there any
of these that update FFmpeg files as well as MythTV files?

Below is the list of 50 commits that update FFmpeg files.

Peter

* beba76345e 2022/06/12 Scott Theisen : mpegts-mythtv.c: export
disposition from ISO_639_LANGUAGE_DESCRIPTOR
* 3643c1f568 2022/06/12 Scott Theisen : mpegts-mythtv.h: harmonize with
mpegts.h
* 5e2fa1a249 2022/06/12 Scott Theisen : lavf/os_support.h: remove MythTV
customization
* e58a539d4c 2022/06/12 Scott Theisen : libavformat/utils.c: silence
final MythTV warning
* f19cdb7486 2022/06/12 Scott Theisen : libavformat/utils.c:
av_remove_stream() #if 0 the entire if else ladder
* 03716b41ef 2022/06/12 Scott Theisen : FFmpeg: remove now unecessary
added exports
* 1d838b84d4 2022/06/12 ulmus-scott   : libavformat/mpegts-mythtv.c:
move MythTV only stuff first
* 5f70573945 2022/06/12 ulmus-scott   : libavformat/mpegts-mythtv.c:
silence -Wdiscarded-qualifiers
* f07b4395cf 2022/06/12 ulmus-scott   : libavformat/mpegts-mythtv.c:
silence -Wunused-function
* a6f7598cc0 2022/06/12 ulmus-scott   : libavformat/mpegts-mythtv.c:
silence -Wundef
* 95478bb1a0 2022/06/12 ulmus-scott   : libavformat/mpegts-mythtv.c:
silence -Wunused-variable
* 7e8ce4fd29 2022/06/12 ulmus-scott   : libavformat/mpegts-mythtv.c:
silence -Wformat
* 54ff5c1b34 2022/06/12 ulmus-scott   : lavf/mpegts-mythtv.c: silence
-Wdeclaration-after-statement
* d0dc818304 2022/06/12 ulmus-scott   : libavcodec/mpeg12dec.c: silence
-Wunused-variable from MythTV modification
* fc71518615 2022/06/12 ulmus-scott   : lavf/utils.c: silence
-Wdeclaration-after-statement
* a4aecdb3b9 2022/06/12 ulmus-scott   : lavf: export
flush_packet_queue() as mythtv_flush_packet_queue()
* d70a5312a6 2022/06/12 ulmus-scott   : lavf: merge utils-mythtv.c back
into utils.c
* fc12adf015 2022/06/12 ulmus-scott   : mpegts-mythtv.h: don't expose
mpegts_remove_stream()
* 89161f077e 2022/06/12 ulmus-scott   : lavc/mpegaudio_parser.c: revert
MythTV workaround
* 1fd4faf9a7 2022/06/12 ulmus-scott   : revert 'MythTV: class is a
reserved keyword in C++'
* fe732c2fd0 2022/06/12 ulmus-scott   : Revert "libavcodec/internal.h:
fix compilation with MSVC"
* 90594dd7e8 2022/06/12 ulmus-scott   : ffmpeg: trim trailing whitespace
* 5809a6601d 2022/06/12 ulmus-scott   : lavf: remove unused MythTV
addition build_index
* e8f0a551f1 2022/06/12 ulmus-scott   : revert MythTV 'DVB Subtitles:
Fix display of subs with no display segment.'
* be1066c55b 2022/06/12 ulmus-scott   : ffmpeg lavf/mpeg.c: fix indentation
* 1199f83ccd 2022/06/12 ulmus-scott   : fixup lavf/utils-mythtv.c:
remove unused code, don't expose unused symbols
* 6aca122f25 2022/06/12 ulmus-scott   : fixup lavf MHEG changes: remove
unused got_frame
* 024ab27e2b 2022/06/12 ulmus-scott   : fixup dvbsubdec.c: remove unused
variables
* 04aeed5976 2022/06/12 ulmus-scott   : Revert "lavf/utils.c: don't
compile some debug log messages"
* a85004ff21 2022/06/12 ulmus-scott   : revert unnecessary null check in
lavf/utils.c
* 9b734965dd 2022/06/12 ulmus-scott   : fixup PMT patch lavf/utils.c
* 58d6aad281 2022/06/12 ulmus-scott   : silence mpegts-mythtv.c warning:
mpegts_probe -Wincompatible-pointer-types
* 539cf243c2 2022/06/12 ulmus-scott   : Revert "MythTV: suppress errors
from old .nuv files"
* 29c6e92dda 2022/06/12 ulmus-scott   : Revert "libavcodec/mpeg4videodec.c"
* 706ec001b8 2022/06/12 ulmus-scott   : Revert "libavformat/mov.c:
increase allowed time error"
* e4821bed24 2022/06/12 ulmus-scott   : Initial mpegts-mythtv.h
harmonization
* 33a8f40686 2022/06/12 ulmus-scott   : lavc/mpegvideo.h: revert
unnecessary changes
* ad41512faa 2022/06/12 ulmus-scott   : lavc/dvbsubdec.c: remove
redundant conditional statements
* ed56ddaac5 2022/06/12 ulmus-scott   : lpp: revert change to Makefile
* 649aa1eba5 2022/06/12 ulmus-scott   : lpp: revert unnecessary MythTV
cpu autodetect
* 7276cd47aa 2022/06/12 ulmus-scott   : lpp: revert unnecessary added
include
* c2bdf57b5d 2022/06/12 ulmus-scott   : lavf: move MythTV added define
to the only file using it
* 9af1570bce 2022/06/12 ulmus-scott   : lavf/utils.c: remove unused
extern declarations
* f8836c1a11 2022/06/12 Scott Theisen : lavc/get_bits.h and golomb.h:
revert MythTV changes
* e61b5d5a6b 2022/06/12 Scott Theisen : lavc/avcodec.h: remove no longer
used MythTV function export
* 4a6144c8c5 2022/06/12 ulmus-scott   : ffmpeg codec_desc.c: remove
duplicate dvd nav packet
* d1cd1937c2 2022/06/12 ulmus-scott   : remove (now unused)
FFmpeg/libavcodec/utils-mythtv.c
* 64a3c60ee5 2022/06/12 ulmus-scott   : replace ff_codec_id_string()
with avcodec_get_name()
* 1c346ec1ac 2022/06/12 ulmus-scott   : add MPEG2VBI and DVB_VBI to
codec_desc.c
* da498f9f05 2022/06/12 ulmus-scott   : remove FFmpeg addition
ff_codec_type_string()

Re: ffmpeg pull requests [ In reply to ]
On 6/13/22 09:33, Peter Bennett wrote:

> On 6/12/22 21:08, Scott Theisen wrote:
>> New plan:
>> 1. https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/pull/416 ffmpeg cleanup which
>> includes:
>> 1.1a. https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/pull/568 stylistic change
>> 1.1b. https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/pull/565 lavc/utils-mythtv.c
>> 1.1c. https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/pull/576 Miscellaneous MythTV
>> changes
>> 1.1z. https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/pull/557 ByteReader
>>
>> 1.2. https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/pull/577 BitReader (depends on
>> 1z only)
>> 1.2a. test bitreader independently? I'm not sure how.
>>
>> 1.3. ffmpeg-cleanup also includes av_disposition which is the first
>> commit in https://github.com/MythTV/FFmpeg/pull/4 and the second
>> mpegts-mythtv.h harmonize commit (in reverse order for some unknown
>> reason)
>>
>> 2. test new FFmpeg cleanup
>>
>> 3. merge FFmpeg cleanup into master
>>
>> 4. apply the harmonize commits to a MythTV branch (I'll rebase
>> https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/pull/524 once the cleanup commits
>> are merged.)
>>
>> 5. Test the harmonize branch, especially with DSMCC/MHEG, which I
>> couldn't test.
>>
>> 6. apply the harmonize commits to FFmpeg
>> https://github.com/MythTV/FFmpeg/pull/4
>>
>> 7. Apply FFmpeg commits until version 5.0
>>
>> 8.  copy FFmpeg 5.0 into mythtv
>>
>> 9. test FFmpeg 5.0
>>
>> Scott
>
> Thanks for rebasing that.
>
> I recreated devel/ffmpeg-sync from master and ran step 1 (pull #416).
> There were 66 commits applied successfully. I have pushed it, so you
> can look at it.
>
> 50 of these commits updated files in external/FFmpeg.
>
> Do you have a FFmpeg pull request that makes these changes in the
> mythtv/FFmpeg repository? How will we get them to MythTV/FFmpeg?

You already merged most of the FFmpeg cleanup to our FFmpeg repository.
I'll create a new PR (or reuse https://github.com/MythTV/FFmpeg/pull/5
to add the few not yet merged changes that are in FFmpeg cleanup.

> I prefer to keep commits that update FFmpeg separate from ones that
> don't, because of the separate FFmpeg repository we have.

Since I already separated the mythtv changes when creating the already
merged commits for the FFmpeg repository, I don't see any harm in having
commits that change both at the same time.

> Are there any of these that update FFmpeg files as well as MythTV files?

* da498f9f05 2022/06/12 ulmus-scott   : remove FFmpeg addition
ff_codec_type_string()
I could separate this, but I don't see the point since the change is
already in the FFmpeg repository.

* 64a3c60ee5 2022/06/12 ulmus-scott   : replace ff_codec_id_string()
with avcodec_get_name()
This requires 1c346ec1ac 2022/06/12 ulmus-scott   : add MPEG2VBI and
DVB_VBI to codec_desc.c (ffmpeg only change) for the MythTV changes to
work properly in all cases.  Again, I could separate this, but I don't
see the point since the change is already in the FFmpeg repository.

The only other mixed commit is beba76345e 2022/06/12 Scott Theisen :
mpegts-mythtv.c: export disposition from ISO_639_LANGUAGE_DESCRIPTOR.  I
could split this and have the FFmpeg change first, but it makes more
sense to me to keep them as one atomic commit since the MythTV change
requires the FFmpeg one to work properly.

Scott
Re: ffmpeg pull requests [ In reply to ]
On 6/13/22 15:35, Scott Theisen wrote:
> On 6/13/22 09:33, Peter Bennett wrote:
>>
>> On 6/12/22 21:08, Scott Theisen wrote:
>>> New plan:
>>> 1. https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/pull/416 ffmpeg cleanup which
>>> includes:
>>> 1.1a. https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/pull/568 stylistic change
>>> 1.1b. https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/pull/565 lavc/utils-mythtv.c
>>> 1.1c. https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/pull/576 Miscellaneous MythTV
>>> changes
>>> 1.1z. https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/pull/557 ByteReader
>>>
>>> 1.2. https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/pull/577 BitReader (depends on
>>> 1z only)
>>> 1.2a. test bitreader independently? I'm not sure how.
>>>
>>> 1.3. ffmpeg-cleanup also includes av_disposition which is the first
>>> commit in https://github.com/MythTV/FFmpeg/pull/4 and the second
>>> mpegts-mythtv.h harmonize commit (in reverse order for some unknown
>>> reason)
>>>
>>> 2. test new FFmpeg cleanup
>>>
>>> 3. merge FFmpeg cleanup into master
>>>
>>> 4. apply the harmonize commits to a MythTV branch (I'll rebase
>>> https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/pull/524 once the cleanup commits
>>> are merged.)
>>>
>>> 5. Test the harmonize branch, especially with DSMCC/MHEG, which I
>>> couldn't test.
>>>
>>> 6. apply the harmonize commits to FFmpeg
>>> https://github.com/MythTV/FFmpeg/pull/4
>>>
>>> 7. Apply FFmpeg commits until version 5.0
>>>
>>> 8.  copy FFmpeg 5.0 into mythtv
>>>
>>> 9. test FFmpeg 5.0
>>>
>>> Scott
>>
>> Thanks for rebasing that.
>>
>> I recreated devel/ffmpeg-sync from master and ran step 1 (pull #416).
>> There were 66 commits applied successfully. I have pushed it, so you
>> can look at it.
>>
>> 50 of these commits updated files in external/FFmpeg.
>>
>> Do you have a FFmpeg pull request that makes these changes in the
>> mythtv/FFmpeg repository? How will we get them to MythTV/FFmpeg?
>
> You already merged most of the FFmpeg cleanup to our FFmpeg
> repository. I'll create a new PR (or reuse
> https://github.com/MythTV/FFmpeg/pull/5 to add the few not yet merged
> changes that are in FFmpeg cleanup.

OK I see that now, sorry for the noise.

>> I prefer to keep commits that update FFmpeg separate from ones that
>> don't, because of the separate FFmpeg repository we have.
>
> Since I already separated the mythtv changes when creating the already
> merged commits for the FFmpeg repository, I don't see any harm in
> having commits that change both at the same time.
>
>> Are there any of these that update FFmpeg files as well as MythTV files?
>
> * da498f9f05 2022/06/12 ulmus-scott   : remove FFmpeg addition
> ff_codec_type_string()
> I could separate this, but I don't see the point since the change is
> already in the FFmpeg repository.
>
> * 64a3c60ee5 2022/06/12 ulmus-scott   : replace ff_codec_id_string()
> with avcodec_get_name()
> This requires 1c346ec1ac 2022/06/12 ulmus-scott   : add MPEG2VBI and
> DVB_VBI to codec_desc.c (ffmpeg only change) for the MythTV changes to
> work properly in all cases.  Again, I could separate this, but I don't
> see the point since the change is already in the FFmpeg repository.
>
> The only other mixed commit is beba76345e 2022/06/12 Scott Theisen :
> mpegts-mythtv.c: export disposition from ISO_639_LANGUAGE_DESCRIPTOR.
> I could split this and have the FFmpeg change first, but it makes more
> sense to me to keep them as one atomic commit since the MythTV change
> requires the FFmpeg one to work properly.
>
> Scott

As you say, it should not matter. We will be copying the FFmpeg
repository over the external/FFmpeg. No need to separate them.

I will continue with the New plan...

Peter

Re: ffmpeg pull requests [ In reply to ]
On 6/13/22 15:51, Peter Bennett wrote:

> On 6/13/22 15:35, Scott Theisen wrote:

>>> Thanks for rebasing that.
>>>
>>> I recreated devel/ffmpeg-sync from master and ran step 1 (pull
>>> #416). There were 66 commits applied successfully. I have pushed it,
>>> so you can look at it.
>>>
>>> 50 of these commits updated files in external/FFmpeg.
>>>
>>> Do you have a FFmpeg pull request that makes these changes in the
>>> mythtv/FFmpeg repository? How will we get them to MythTV/FFmpeg?
>>
>> You already merged most of the FFmpeg cleanup to our FFmpeg
>> repository. I'll create a new PR (or reuse
>> https://github.com/MythTV/FFmpeg/pull/5 to add the few not yet merged
>> changes that are in FFmpeg cleanup.
>>
> OK I see that now, sorry for the noise.

No problem.  https://github.com/MythTV/FFmpeg/pull/5 now has the rest of
the unmerged changes from https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/pull/416
ffmpeg cleanup.

>>> I prefer to keep commits that update FFmpeg separate from ones that
>>> don't, because of the separate FFmpeg repository we have.
>>
>> Since I already separated the mythtv changes when creating the
>> already merged commits for the FFmpeg repository, I don't see any
>> harm in having commits that change both at the same time.
>>
>>> Are there any of these that update FFmpeg files as well as MythTV
>>> files?
>>
>> * da498f9f05 2022/06/12 ulmus-scott   : remove FFmpeg addition
>> ff_codec_type_string()
>> I could separate this, but I don't see the point since the change is
>> already in the FFmpeg repository.
>>
>> * 64a3c60ee5 2022/06/12 ulmus-scott   : replace ff_codec_id_string()
>> with avcodec_get_name()
>> This requires 1c346ec1ac 2022/06/12 ulmus-scott   : add MPEG2VBI and
>> DVB_VBI to codec_desc.c (ffmpeg only change) for the MythTV changes
>> to work properly in all cases.  Again, I could separate this, but I
>> don't see the point since the change is already in the FFmpeg
>> repository.
>>
>> The only other mixed commit is beba76345e 2022/06/12 Scott Theisen :
>> mpegts-mythtv.c: export disposition from
>> ISO_639_LANGUAGE_DESCRIPTOR.  I could split this and have the FFmpeg
>> change first, but it makes more sense to me to keep them as one
>> atomic commit since the MythTV change requires the FFmpeg one to work
>> properly.
>>
>> Scott
>
> As you say, it should not matter. We will be copying the FFmpeg
> repository over the external/FFmpeg. No need to separate them.
>
> I will continue with the New plan...
>
> Peter

OK then, on to testing.

Scott

Re: ffmpeg pull requests [ In reply to ]
On 6/13/22 16:01, Scott Theisen wrote:
> OK then, on to testing.

Testing: FAIL. see
https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/commit/168b1ec6ee7f9bbd369fbd51191b459dda95d0d7#r76035617

I'll fix this later today.

Scott
Re: ffmpeg pull requests [ In reply to ]
On 6/14/22 02:38, Scott Theisen wrote:
> On 6/13/22 16:01, Scott Theisen wrote:
>> OK then, on to testing.
>
> Testing: FAIL. see
> https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/commit/168b1ec6ee7f9bbd369fbd51191b459dda95d0d7#r76035617
>
> I'll fix this later today.
>
> Scott

Peter,

I have force pushed a new fixed version to
https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/pull/416 for testing.

Scott
Re: ffmpeg pull requests [ In reply to ]
On 6/14/22 17:34, Scott Theisen wrote:
> On 6/14/22 02:38, Scott Theisen wrote:
>> On 6/13/22 16:01, Scott Theisen wrote:
>>> OK then, on to testing.
>>
>> Testing: FAIL. see
>> https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/commit/168b1ec6ee7f9bbd369fbd51191b459dda95d0d7#r76035617
>>
>> I'll fix this later today.
>>
>> Scott
>
> Peter,
>
> I have force pushed a new fixed version to
> https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/pull/416 for testing.
>
> Scott

I reset devel/ffmpeg-resync and merged the pull request again.

Peter