Mailing List Archive

Replace the QtWebKit code
On 3/10/22 09:24, Stuart Auchterlonie wrote:
> On 10/03/2022 08:21, Piotr Oniszczuk wrote:
>>

>>> Wiadomo?? napisana przez Peter Bennett <pb.mythtv@gmail.com> w dniu
>>> 09.03.2022, o godz. 23:49:
>>>
>>> We can try the latest QT and see if that helps. I don't know the
>>> status of getting QT6 to work with MythTV. What is involved in
>>> building with QT6 ? Do we just update the download location?
>>
>> David done fantastic work with Qt6: it works perfectly fine for me.
>>
>> In fact only thing holding me to switch to Qt6 at production is lack
>> of QTWebKit answer
>> (so after switching to Qt6 user will loose functionality - this is
>> nogo for me for Qt6 currently)
>
> Somebody just needs to step up and write a replacement for all the
> QtWebKit code, which is now obsolete with Qt6
>
> any takers?
>
> Regards
> Stuart

I am a taker. My Initial plan is:

1. Find out what all in MythTV and plugins use QtWebKit.

2. Test all the features that use it and make sure they work..

3. Port from QtWebKit to QtWebEngine

4. Test all the features that use it and make sure they work..

Does anybody have issues with using QtWebEngine as the replacement?

Peter

Re: Replace the QtWebKit code [ In reply to ]
On 11/03/2022 12:48 pm, Peter Bennett wrote:

>>> David done fantastic work with Qt6: it works perfectly fine for me.
>>>
>>> In fact only thing holding me to switch to Qt6 at production is lack
>>> of QTWebKit answer
>>> (so after switching to Qt6 user will loose functionality - this is
>>> nogo for me for Qt6 currently)
>>
>> Somebody just needs to step up and write a replacement for all the
>> QtWebKit code, which is now obsolete with Qt6
>>
>> any takers?
>>
>> Regards
>> Stuart
>>
> I am a taker. My Initial plan is:
>
> 1. Find out what all in MythTV and plugins use QtWebKit.
>
> 2. Test all the features that use it and make sure they work..
>
> 3. Port from QtWebKit to QtWebEngine
>
> 4. Test all the features that use it and make sure they work..
>
> Does anybody have issues with using QtWebEngine as the replacement?
>
> Peter

I had a look at this a long time ago and got stymied by mythmusic
callbacks from javascript back into c++ was very complex compared to webkit.

I didnt get anywhere with this.

Mark

Re: Replace the QtWebKit code [ In reply to ]
On 11/03/2022 01:48, Peter Bennett wrote:

> I am a taker. My Initial plan is:
>
> 1. Find out what all in MythTV and plugins use QtWebKit.
>
> 2. Test all the features that use it and make sure they work..
>
> 3. Port from QtWebKit to QtWebEngine
>
> 4. Test all the features that use it and make sure they work..
>
> Does anybody have issues with using QtWebEngine as the replacement?
>
> Peter

Am I going mad or have we not been here before. I'm sure I have
discussed this several times on IRC?

I have or had an initial patch to replace WebKit with WebEngine but
basically I couldn't get it to keep rendering properly. What happens is
any MythUI update to the screen stops the WebEngine widget from
updating. If you run the frontend in a window and move the focus to
another window and back to the frontend it will start to update again
until another MythUI update stops it again. If you force the QT painter
in the frontend it works OK so it appears to be some OpenGL
compatibility. When I started to look more deeply I did notice our
OpenGL renderer does make it's opengl contexts active but while the code
is there to release the contexts it is commented out so we never release
them. I'm no OpenGL expert so don't know if that is the real problem.
The QT docs does say the WebEngine widget does require shared OpenGL
contexts which we do have some support for but if we never release the
contexts not sure it is going to work.

I do remember doing an experiment to just have MythUI draw a simple
rotating box using QML and that showed the same behavior so it would
appear to be our rendering code that is somehow at fault and not
something unique to WebEngine.

I do feel strongly that having a working web browser widget  is
important to the future of MythTV if we want to modernize it to support
streaming services like YouTube, Netflix, Prime, iPlayer, Pluto TV etc.

Paul H.

Re: Replace the QtWebKit code [ In reply to ]
On 3/11/22 05:48, Paul Harrison wrote:
> On 11/03/2022 01:48, Peter Bennett wrote:
>

>> I am a taker. My Initial plan is:
>>
>> 1. Find out what all in MythTV and plugins use QtWebKit.
>>
>> 2. Test all the features that use it and make sure they work..
>>
>> 3. Port from QtWebKit to QtWebEngine
>>
>> 4. Test all the features that use it and make sure they work..
>>
>> Does anybody have issues with using QtWebEngine as the replacement?
>>
>> Peter
>>

> Am I going mad or have we not been here before. I'm sure I have
> discussed this several times on IRC?
>

> I have or had an initial patch to replace WebKit with WebEngine but
> basically I couldn't get it to keep rendering properly. What happens
> is any MythUI update to the screen stops the WebEngine widget from
> updating. If you run the frontend in a window and move the focus to
> another window and back to the frontend it will start to update again
> until another MythUI update stops it again. If you force the QT
> painter in the frontend it works OK so it appears to be some OpenGL
> compatibility. When I started to look more deeply I did notice our
> OpenGL renderer does make it's opengl contexts active but while the
> code is there to release the contexts it is commented out so we never
> release them. I'm no OpenGL expert so don't know if that is the real
> problem. The QT docs does say the WebEngine widget does require shared
> OpenGL contexts which we do have some support for but if we never
> release the contexts not sure it is going to work.
>

> I do remember doing an experiment to just have MythUI draw a simple
> rotating box using QML and that showed the same behavior so it would
> appear to be our rendering code that is somehow at fault and not
> something unique to WebEngine.
>

> I do feel strongly that having a working web browser widget  is
> important to the future of MythTV if we want to modernize it to
> support streaming services like YouTube, Netflix, Prime, iPlayer,
> Pluto TV etc.
>

> Paul H.

No you are not going mad. Thanks for the information. I am new to the
webkit problem. Stuart asked if anybody would take on replacing webkit,
so I volunteered, thinking it was a simple task after looking at
https://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qtwebenginewidgets-qtwebkitportingguide.html
It is clearly not a simple task from what you have said.

It was discussed yesterday in IRC, and the suggested option was to get
rid of webkit, thinking that not much of importance uses it. Some things
may use it just for a text display and those could be replaced with a
simple text display widget. Also discussed was getting rid of some of
the plugins, especially if they use webkit.

Does mythmusic use webkit? Can it use something else if we drop webkit
and do not include webengine?

Any other suggestions?

Peter

Re: Replace the QtWebKit code [ In reply to ]
On 11/03/2022 14:22, Peter Bennett wrote:

> On 3/11/22 05:48, Paul Harrison wrote:
>> On 11/03/2022 01:48, Peter Bennett wrote:
>>

>>> I am a taker. My Initial plan is:
>>>
>>> 1. Find out what all in MythTV and plugins use QtWebKit.
>>>
>>> 2. Test all the features that use it and make sure they work..
>>>
>>> 3. Port from QtWebKit to QtWebEngine
>>>
>>> 4. Test all the features that use it and make sure they work..
>>>
>>> Does anybody have issues with using QtWebEngine as the replacement?
>>>
>>> Peter
>>>

>> Am I going mad or have we not been here before. I'm sure I have
>> discussed this several times on IRC?
>>

>> I have or had an initial patch to replace WebKit with WebEngine but
>> basically I couldn't get it to keep rendering properly. What happens
>> is any MythUI update to the screen stops the WebEngine widget from
>> updating. If you run the frontend in a window and move the focus to
>> another window and back to the frontend it will start to update again
>> until another MythUI update stops it again. If you force the QT
>> painter in the frontend it works OK so it appears to be some OpenGL
>> compatibility. When I started to look more deeply I did notice our
>> OpenGL renderer does make it's opengl contexts active but while the
>> code is there to release the contexts it is commented out so we never
>> release them. I'm no OpenGL expert so don't know if that is the real
>> problem. The QT docs does say the WebEngine widget does require
>> shared OpenGL contexts which we do have some support for but if we
>> never release the contexts not sure it is going to work.
>>

>> I do remember doing an experiment to just have MythUI draw a simple
>> rotating box using QML and that showed the same behavior so it would
>> appear to be our rendering code that is somehow at fault and not
>> something unique to WebEngine.
>>

>> I do feel strongly that having a working web browser widget  is
>> important to the future of MythTV if we want to modernize it to
>> support streaming services like YouTube, Netflix, Prime, iPlayer,
>> Pluto TV etc.
>>

>> Paul H.
>>

> No you are not going mad. Thanks for the information. I am new to the
> webkit problem. Stuart asked if anybody would take on replacing
> webkit, so I volunteered, thinking it was a simple task after looking at
> https://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qtwebenginewidgets-qtwebkitportingguide.html
> It is clearly not a simple task from what you have said.
>
> It was discussed yesterday in IRC, and the suggested option was to get
> rid of webkit, thinking that not much of importance uses it. Some
> things may use it just for a text display and those could be replaced
> with a simple text display widget. Also discussed was getting rid of
> some of the plugins, especially if they use webkit.
>
> Does mythmusic use webkit? Can it use something else if we drop webkit
> and do not include webengine?
>
> Any other suggestions?
>
> Peter

I think there may be some confusion of what webkit and webengine are.
What we are talking about here is the web browser UI widget and has
nothing to do with MythWeb or  the WebFrontend.

It's primary use is in the MythBrowser plugin which in turn is used by
MythMusic, MythNews and MythNetvision. I don't think it's used anywhere
else in the frontend other than the MythUI widget. It was used in the
program info screen you get when you press INFO in Watch Recordings but
that is no longer the case.

The use in MythMusic that Mark was concerned about was added so you
could control MythMusic using a WebInterface. Robert Siebert? I think it
was asked for it to be added so he could add some Music podcasts or
mashups to MythNetVision but he never completed it so that can easily be
removed. I think it is also used to search for missing coverart images
by search google IIRC.

If we have a usable web browser widget that opens up the whole
possibility of adding support for many streaming services like YouTube,
Netflix, Pluto TV etc.

If it would be useful I can see if I can find the WIP patch I had. I'm
out of ideas how to fix the rendering problem. In any case I have my own
QML frontend that does have a working web browser player :)

Paul H.

Re: Replace the QtWebKit code [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 2022-03-11 at 09:22 -0500, Peter Bennett wrote:

> Does mythmusic use webkit?

It uses it solely to allow for lookup of artwork.

You might find https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/pull/334 which allows
building mythmusic without that functionality useful. It has since been
reverted though,see discussion on
https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/issues/328.

IIRC from memory when I did #334 I couldn't actually get the artwork
lookup stuff to work in the before state anyway, but I could be
misremembering (or was using it wrongly).

Personally I don't use artwork lookup in mythmusic (I use a scanner...)
so my opinion is surely biased but FWIW IMHO if it is holding back the
transition from QtWebKit to QtWebEngine I don't think dropping the
feature would be a huge loss, but given there are other critical uses
of QtWekKit I don't know how useful it would actually be to skip the
mythmusic part, OTOH I'd much rather have mythmusic without that
feature than no mythmusic at all...

HTH
Ian.
Re: Replace the QtWebKit code [ In reply to ]
On 12/03/2022 6:47 pm, Ian Campbell wrote:
> On Fri, 2022-03-11 at 09:22 -0500, Peter Bennett wrote:
>> Does mythmusic use webkit?
> It uses it solely to allow for lookup of artwork.
>
> You might find https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/pull/334 which allows
> building mythmusic without that functionality useful. It has since been
> reverted though,see discussion on
> https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/issues/328.
>
> IIRC from memory when I did #334 I couldn't actually get the artwork
> lookup stuff to work in the before state anyway, but I could be
> misremembering (or was using it wrongly).
>
> Personally I don't use artwork lookup in mythmusic (I use a scanner...)
> so my opinion is surely biased but FWIW IMHO if it is holding back the
> transition from QtWebKit to QtWebEngine I don't think dropping the
> feature would be a huge loss, but given there are other critical uses
> of QtWekKit I don't know how useful it would actually be to skip the
> mythmusic part, OTOH I'd much rather have mythmusic without that
> feature than no mythmusic at all...

There is also the revisited and supported webkit but I had a hard time
making that build so I disabled it instead.

This could be looked at again.

Mark

Re: Replace the QtWebKit code [ In reply to ]
On 12/03/2022 07:47, Ian Campbell wrote:

> On Fri, 2022-03-11 at 09:22 -0500, Peter Bennett wrote:
>> Does mythmusic use webkit?
> It uses it solely to allow for lookup of artwork.
>
> You might find https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/pull/334 which allows
> building mythmusic without that functionality useful. It has since been
> reverted though,see discussion on
> https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/issues/328.
>
> IIRC from memory when I did #334 I couldn't actually get the artwork
> lookup stuff to work in the before state anyway, but I could be
> misremembering (or was using it wrongly).
>
> Personally I don't use artwork lookup in mythmusic (I use a scanner...)
> so my opinion is surely biased but FWIW IMHO if it is holding back the
> transition from QtWebKit to QtWebEngine I don't think dropping the
> feature would be a huge loss, but given there are other critical uses
> of QtWekKit I don't know how useful it would actually be to skip the
> mythmusic part, OTOH I'd much rather have mythmusic without that
> feature than no mythmusic at all...
>
> HTH
> Ian.

Yes you can easily remove the dependency on WebKit from MythMusic but
IMHO that's not the real issue here. It's not what is holding up the
switch to QtWebEngine.

The issue is the rendering of the WebEngine widget isn't compatible with
the OpenGL rendering code in MythTV. If that could be solved then the
switch over would be fairly straight forward.

We could just remove everything that uses WebKit and be done with it but
with it you remove most of the plugins and any hope of modernizing the
frontend to support all the new streaming services.

The offer still stands if someone wants to take a look at the WIP patch
I have they are welcome assuming I still have it stashed somewhere. It
did partially work but only by disabling anything that causes MythUI to
update the screen while the browser had focus and I think the key press
handling was a little screwed up.

Paul H.

Re: Replace the QtWebKit code [ In reply to ]
> Wiadomo?? napisana przez Paul Harrison <mythtv@mythqml.net> w dniu 11.03.2022, o godz. 11:48:
>
> I have or had an initial patch to replace WebKit with WebEngine but basically I couldn't get it to keep rendering properly. What happens is any MythUI update to the screen stops the WebEngine widget from updating. If you run the frontend in a window and move the focus to another window and back to the frontend it will start to update again until another MythUI update stops it again. If you force the QT painter in the frontend it works OK so it appears to be some OpenGL compatibility. When I started to look more deeply I did notice our OpenGL renderer does make it's opengl contexts active but while the code is there to release the contexts it is commented out so we never release them. I'm no OpenGL expert so don't know if that is the real problem. The QT docs does say the WebEngine widget does require shared OpenGL contexts which we do have some support for but if we never release the contexts not sure it is going to work.

Paul,

FYI: i have a bit similar symptoms even with WebKit: video streaming is not refreshing screen or when streaming - rest of UI screen blinks/disappears.

In my case above issues were: 1\theme dependent and 2\rendering method dependent.
1. Theme: to minimise issue make sure <webbrowser name="webbrowser" from="basebrowser"> is last widget in <window name="browser">
2. Rendering: make sure it is not EGLFS (dmabuf nor drm planes)

I think it is still worth:
-add code allowing to selectively use WebEngine (i.e. as newbasebrowser) in browser-ui.xml
-start to find where is root cause (as i.e. theme related issue might be more mythUI bug or mythUI vs. Qt best practices regarding how to properly use WebKit in Qt app)
-allows us to have code to play with when we will ask on Qt forums/StackExchange/etc for solution brainstorming

It is possible you will add your WebEngine code to myth webrowser plugin code?
Additional widget or maybe separate plugin?

br

Re: Replace the QtWebKit code [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Mar 13, 2022 at 11:24 AM Paul Harrison <mythtv@mythqml.net> wrote:

> The offer still stands if someone wants to take a look at the WIP patch
> I have they are welcome assuming I still have it stashed somewhere. It
> did partially work but only by disabling anything that causes MythUI to
> update the screen while the browser had focus and I think the key press
> handling was a little screwed up.

Just a thought, but if you can find the stash, perhaps
create a branch for the WIP and push to the repo, so
that the work is available for others (sort of like the
qt6 branch).
Re: Replace the QtWebKit code [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Mar 13, 2022 at 6:11 AM Mark Spieth <mark@digivation.com.au> wrote:

> There is also the revisited and supported webkit but I had a hard time
> making that build so I disabled it instead.
>
> This could be looked at again.

From time to time QtWebKit is revised to try to
keep it building, but it is woefully out of date
with upstream chromium and other bundled
software, and likely filled with vulnerabilities.
Considering it "supported" because it happens
to be able to be built is not really appropriate.
And while it may survive with Qt5 a bit longer,
there is no plan whatsoever to port it to Qt6.

QtWebEngine has been the documented
(and supported) replacement for quite some
time now in both Qt5 and Qt6 moving forward.
If MythTV wants/needs a browser widget
going forward, primary efforts should be
expended towards that porting (and figuring
out how/why MythUI is interacting poorly with
it, as it seems Paul H has done much of the
heavy lifting).
Re: Replace the QtWebKit code [ In reply to ]
On 18/03/2022 04:05, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 13, 2022 at 11:24 AM Paul Harrison<mythtv@mythqml.net> wrote:
>
>> The offer still stands if someone wants to take a look at the WIP patch
>> I have they are welcome assuming I still have it stashed somewhere. It
>> did partially work but only by disabling anything that causes MythUI to
>> update the screen while the browser had focus and I think the key press
>> handling was a little screwed up.
> Just a thought, but if you can find the stash, perhaps
> create a branch for the WIP and push to the repo, so
> that the work is available for others (sort of like the
> qt6 branch).

I found the patch and made it available to any of the MythTV devs. I
think I'm alone in trying to get this problem resolved so don't hold
your breath though.

Don't know if we have any OpenGL experts on the list? One possible
reason for the rendering problem is our MythRenderOpenGL renderer never
calls doneCurrent() on any of it's contexts which I was wondering if
that could be a possible reason?
There is code in there but it is disabled. The documents for QtWebEngine
does say there is a requirement for shared opengl contexts. Any OpenGL
experts care to comment?

https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/blob/master/mythtv/libs/libmythui/opengl/mythrenderopengl.cpp#L571

While this is focusing mainly on QtWebEngine I did manage to reproduce
the bug with any QQuickWidget based widget. For example I did have a
patch, sadly lost, that could render any QML component in MythUI and
that failed in the same way.

Paul H.
Re: Replace the QtWebKit code [ In reply to ]
On 18/03/2022 14:53, Paul Harrison wrote:

> On 18/03/2022 04:05, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Mar 13, 2022 at 11:24 AM Paul Harrison<mythtv@mythqml.net> wrote:
>>
>>> The offer still stands if someone wants to take a look at the WIP patch
>>> I have they are welcome assuming I still have it stashed somewhere. It
>>> did partially work but only by disabling anything that causes MythUI to
>>> update the screen while the browser had focus and I think the key press
>>> handling was a little screwed up.
>> Just a thought, but if you can find the stash, perhaps
>> create a branch for the WIP and push to the repo, so
>> that the work is available for others (sort of like the
>> qt6 branch).
>

> I found the patch and made it available to any of the MythTV devs. I
> think I'm alone in trying to get this problem resolved so don't hold
> your breath though.
>

> Don't know if we have any OpenGL experts on the list? One possible
> reason for the rendering problem is our MythRenderOpenGL renderer
> never calls doneCurrent() on any of it's contexts which I was
> wondering if that could be a possible reason?
> There is code in there but it is disabled. The documents for
> QtWebEngine does say there is a requirement for shared opengl
> contexts. Any OpenGL experts care to comment?
>
> https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/blob/master/mythtv/libs/libmythui/opengl/mythrenderopengl.cpp#L571
>

> While this is focusing mainly on QtWebEngine I did manage to reproduce
> the bug with any QQuickWidget based widget. For example I did have a
> patch, sadly lost, that could render any QML component in MythUI and
> that failed in the same way.
>

> Paul H.

Just discovered if you start the frontend like this

QMLSCENE_DEVICE=softwarecontext mythfrontend

then the rendering works OK. So I think that is pointing to a problem
with the way we setup our QSurfaceFormat or OpenGL contexts?

Paul H.
Re: Replace the QtWebKit code [ In reply to ]
On 3/18/22 12:11, Paul Harrison wrote:

> Just discovered if you start the frontend like this
>
> QMLSCENE_DEVICE=softwarecontext mythfrontend
>
> then the rendering works OK. So I think that is pointing to a problem
> with the way we setup our QSurfaceFormat or OpenGL contexts?

If I understand
https://www.qt.io/blog/2015/01/22/introducing-the-qt-quick-2d-renderer
correctly, that environment variable forces a non-OpenGL renderer, so I
think the issue is likely in MythTV's OpenGL code, but I'm no expert.

I hope that helps,

Scott
Re: Replace the QtWebKit code [ In reply to ]
> Wiadomo?? napisana przez Paul Harrison <mythtv@sky.com> w dniu 22.03.2022, o godz. 13:40:
>

> There is a more up to date patch on Issue #327
>
> https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/issues/327
>

> Good luck compiling QtWebEngine I had the dream of making my own copy of LibreELEC with my QML frontend as the main interface and never got passed trying to compile QT with everything I needed.

@Paul
Many thanx for sharing you work.
State is good - in sense that brief tests shows:

• what works in qtwebkit also works in qtwebengine
• what not works in qtwebkit also no works in qtwebengine

@ALL
I think:

• screen drawing issues described here are (imho) issue of mythtv as they are (in my case) very similar in: qtwebkit & qtwebengine
• ultimately i think mythtv should have selectable what web engine is used: qtwebkit or qtwebengine
• reason to have optional qtwebkit: it perfectly fit for small systems (i.e. in my case switch from qtwebkit to qtwebengine i.e. increases rootfs size by 30%).

If there will be agreement - i can rework Paul's patch (or maybe Paul is willing to do this) in a way that usage of web engine will be selectable at configure:

add option disabled by default:
--use-qtwebkit

-default will be QtWebEngine
-if --use-qtwebkit=yes then mytht will use QtWebKit

let me know what you think....

br

Re: Replace the QtWebKit code [ In reply to ]
> On 24 Mar 2022, at 7:15 pm, Piotr Oniszczuk <piotr.oniszczuk@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> …
> usage of web engine will be selectable at configure:
>
> add option disabled by default:
> --use-qtwebkit
>
> -default will be QtWebEngine
> -if --use-qtwebkit=yes then mytht will use QtWebKit
>
> let me know what you think….

Like idea of configure option !

Slightly dislike idea of code base supporting both web renderers,
but hopefully that is a short-term situation?

--
Nigel Pearson, 02 9792 6998, 0408 66 44 35
nigel.pearson.au@gmail.com
Re: Replace the QtWebKit code [ In reply to ]
On 24/03/2022 09:58, Nigel Pearson wrote:

>> On 24 Mar 2022, at 7:15 pm, Piotr Oniszczuk <piotr.oniszczuk@gmail.com
>> <mailto:piotr.oniszczuk@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>> …
>> usage of web engine will be selectable at configure:
>>
>> add option disabled by default:
>> --use-qtwebkit
>>
>> -default will be QtWebEngine
>> -if --use-qtwebkit=yes then mytht will use QtWebKit
>>
>> let me know what you think….
>

> Like idea of configure option !
>

> Slightly dislike idea of code base supporting both web renderers,
> but hopefully that is a short-term situation?

Realistically it's going to be
- fixes/32 QtWebKit
- master QtWebEngine (and therefore fixes/33 onwards)

assuming the work is done to finish the migration.

Regards
Stuart
Re: Replace the QtWebKit code [ In reply to ]
On 24/03/2022 08:15, Piotr Oniszczuk wrote:

>> Wiadomo?? napisana przez Paul Harrison <mythtv@sky.com> w dniu 22.03.2022, o godz. 13:40:
>>

>> There is a more up to date patch on Issue #327
>>
>> https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/issues/327
>>

>> Good luck compiling QtWebEngine I had the dream of making my own copy of LibreELEC with my QML frontend as the main interface and never got passed trying to compile QT with everything I needed.
>>

> @Paul
> Many thanx for sharing you work.
> State is good - in sense that brief tests shows:
>
> • what works in qtwebkit also works in qtwebengine
> • what not works in qtwebkit also no works in qtwebengine
>
> @ALL
> I think:
>
> • screen drawing issues described here are (imho) issue of mythtv as they are (in my case) very similar in: qtwebkit & qtwebengine
> • ultimately i think mythtv should have selectable what web engine is used: qtwebkit or qtwebengine
> • reason to have optional qtwebkit: it perfectly fit for small systems (i.e. in my case switch from qtwebkit to qtwebengine i.e. increases rootfs size by 30%).
>
> If there will be agreement - i can rework Paul's patch (or maybe Paul is willing to do this) in a way that usage of web engine will be selectable at configure:
>
> add option disabled by default:
> --use-qtwebkit
>
> -default will be QtWebEngine
> -if --use-qtwebkit=yes then mytht will use QtWebKit
>
> let me know what you think....
>
> br

It wouldn't be too difficult to add support for both WebKit and
WebEngine, most of the logic would be in configure, but I doubt anyone
would want to have to support both. At some point WebKit will either be
such a big security risk that no one would want to use it or we all move
to QT6 which doesn't have it at all.

At the moment I can't spend a lot of time working at the computer so I
don't intend to look at this any further, at least not in the near
future,  the little time I have I'd rather spend on my MythQML frontend
which I feel has a better future and fits my needs better than the
mythfrontend.

Paul H.