Mailing List Archive

QT Slots Corruption Issue on Shield Tube
This is the bug report:

https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/issues/368

This only happens on the user's Shield Tube, but has been happening for
eight months. During playback he crashes at random times.

The backtrace and debug prints he has supplied show that an address is
being corrupted in the Qt slot system. In the first parameter, the first
digit of the address is changed from 0xa to 0x2. It crashes in
moc_mythsocket.cpp while trying to build the parameter list for calling
MythSocket::ReadStringListReal or MythSocket::ReadReal. The call
originates in MythSocket::ReadStringList or MythSocket::Read which use
the slot mechanism to call the "Real" versions of those methods, which
may be in a different thread.

Does anybody have any ideas how to proceed? I cannot recreate it myself
as I do not have a Shield Tube. Also I do not understand how QT internal
address lists could get corrupted.

Peter

Re: QT Slots Corruption Issue on Shield Tube [ In reply to ]

> Does anybody have any ideas how to proceed? I cannot recreate it myself as I do not have a Shield Tube. Also I do not understand how QT internal address lists could get corrupted.

Peter,

I see 2 strategies:

1. finding root cause then modify myth code to workaround issue(*)
2. workarround root cause

So imho:
1.
- rather difficult to find root cause (especially as issue it is in Qt code - not in Myth code. For me: waste of time)
- we will end with dedicated myth packages for Shield Tube
+no need to mangle with Shield Tube OS (Qt runtime)

2.
+easy to find solution (**)
+Shield will use generic (non-speciffic) myth package
-need to install also Qt component on Shield Tube

(*) - i assume root cause is not myth code but rather in particular build of Qt

(**) - just build locally the same Qt ver and start to apply kde Qt patches (https://community.kde.org/Qt5PatchCollection).
It is highly probable Qt bug has fix there....
After that you can identify single Qt binary component needed to be replaced on target (Shield Tube).
I don't know is Android installer able to replace component in android system dir.
If not - then maybe playing with LD_PRELOAD will help?

If this will not help (KDE patches are not fixing issue) - you may try compile 5.15.3 as t has 200+ bug fixes over 5.15.2.
But this probably this will require full Qt binaries replacement on Shield....

br

Re: QT Slots Corruption Issue on Shield Tube [ In reply to ]
On 10/03/2022 3:07 am, Peter Bennett wrote:
> This is the bug report:
>
> https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/issues/368
>
> This only happens on the user's Shield Tube, but has been happening
> for eight months. During playback he crashes at random times.
>
> The backtrace and debug prints he has supplied show that an address is
> being corrupted in the Qt slot system. In the first parameter, the
> first digit of the address is changed from 0xa to 0x2. It crashes in
> moc_mythsocket.cpp while trying to build the parameter list for
> calling MythSocket::ReadStringListReal or MythSocket::ReadReal. The
> call originates in MythSocket::ReadStringList or MythSocket::Read
> which use the slot mechanism to call the "Real" versions of those
> methods, which may be in a different thread.
>
> Does anybody have any ideas how to proceed? I cannot recreate it
> myself as I do not have a Shield Tube. Also I do not understand how QT
> internal address lists could get corrupted.

Is it fixed in QT6 or latest?

Is it a regression? Should we downgrade QT? If so to which version?

I can do a QT update if I know it will help.

Mark

Re: QT Slots Corruption Issue on Shield Tube [ In reply to ]
On 3/9/22 15:32, Piotr Oniszczuk wrote:
>> Does anybody have any ideas how to proceed? I cannot recreate it myself as I do not have a Shield Tube. Also I do not understand how QT internal address lists could get corrupted.
> Peter,
>
> I see 2 strategies:
>
> 1. finding root cause then modify myth code to workaround issue(*)
> 2. workarround root cause
>
> So imho:
> 1.
> - rather difficult to find root cause (especially as issue it is in Qt code - not in Myth code. For me: waste of time)
> - we will end with dedicated myth packages for Shield Tube
> +no need to mangle with Shield Tube OS (Qt runtime)
>
> 2.
> +easy to find solution (**)
> +Shield will use generic (non-speciffic) myth package
> -need to install also Qt component on Shield Tube
>
> (*) - i assume root cause is not myth code but rather in particular build of Qt
>
> (**) - just build locally the same Qt ver and start to apply kde Qt patches (https://community.kde.org/Qt5PatchCollection).
> It is highly probable Qt bug has fix there....
> After that you can identify single Qt binary component needed to be replaced on target (Shield Tube).
> I don't know is Android installer able to replace component in android system dir.
> If not - then maybe playing with LD_PRELOAD will help?
>
> If this will not help (KDE patches are not fixing issue) - you may try compile 5.15.3 as t has 200+ bug fixes over 5.15.2.
> But this probably this will require full Qt binaries replacement on Shield....
>

> br

Thanks for the suggestions. We build qt ourselves and add it to the
package because android does not include qt packages. So adding patches
is easy. One problem is I do not have the shield tube system and it only
happens there, and only one user reported it. I can build patched
versions and send it to them for testing, if it is indeed a qt bug. It
could also be something in MythTV or other package overwriting the storage.

Peter

Re: QT Slots Corruption Issue on Shield Tube [ In reply to ]
On 3/9/22 16:33, Mark Spieth wrote:
> On 10/03/2022 3:07 am, Peter Bennett wrote:
>> This is the bug report:
>>
>> https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/issues/368
>>
>> This only happens on the user's Shield Tube, but has been happening
>> for eight months. During playback he crashes at random times.
>>
>> The backtrace and debug prints he has supplied show that an address
>> is being corrupted in the Qt slot system. In the first parameter, the
>> first digit of the address is changed from 0xa to 0x2. It crashes in
>> moc_mythsocket.cpp while trying to build the parameter list for
>> calling MythSocket::ReadStringListReal or MythSocket::ReadReal. The
>> call originates in MythSocket::ReadStringList or MythSocket::Read
>> which use the slot mechanism to call the "Real" versions of those
>> methods, which may be in a different thread.
>>
>> Does anybody have any ideas how to proceed? I cannot recreate it
>> myself as I do not have a Shield Tube. Also I do not understand how
>> QT internal address lists could get corrupted.
>
> Is it fixed in QT6 or latest?
>
> Is it a regression? Should we downgrade QT? If so to which version?
>
> I can do a QT update if I know it will help.
>
> Mark

We can try the latest QT and see if that helps. I don't know the status
of getting QT6 to work with MythTV. What is involved in building with
QT6 ? Do we just update the download location?

Peter

Re: QT Slots Corruption Issue on Shield Tube [ In reply to ]
On 10/03/2022 9:49 am, Peter Bennett wrote:

> On 3/9/22 16:33, Mark Spieth wrote:
>> On 10/03/2022 3:07 am, Peter Bennett wrote:
>>> This is the bug report:
>>>
>>> https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/issues/368
>>>
>>> This only happens on the user's Shield Tube, but has been happening
>>> for eight months. During playback he crashes at random times.
>>>
>>> The backtrace and debug prints he has supplied show that an address
>>> is being corrupted in the Qt slot system. In the first parameter,
>>> the first digit of the address is changed from 0xa to 0x2. It
>>> crashes in moc_mythsocket.cpp while trying to build the parameter
>>> list for calling MythSocket::ReadStringListReal or
>>> MythSocket::ReadReal. The call originates in
>>> MythSocket::ReadStringList or MythSocket::Read which use the slot
>>> mechanism to call the "Real" versions of those methods, which may be
>>> in a different thread.
>>>
>>> Does anybody have any ideas how to proceed? I cannot recreate it
>>> myself as I do not have a Shield Tube. Also I do not understand how
>>> QT internal address lists could get corrupted.
>>
>> Is it fixed in QT6 or latest?
>>
>> Is it a regression? Should we downgrade QT? If so to which version?
>>
>> I can do a QT update if I know it will help.
>>
>> Mark

> We can try the latest QT and see if that helps. I don't know the
> status of getting QT6 to work with MythTV. What is involved in
> building with QT6 ? Do we just update the download location?

There will be a whole new set of patches. May be lucky and no patches
are required.

Just tried with 5.15.3 but wouldn't download. Will spend some time on
the weekend updating to at least 5.15.3 and we'll see how that goes.

The current one is 5.14.1

I've also had issues with 32bit on firetv max so have been using leanfront.

It sounded like the issue is known but there is no patch yet.

Maybe Ill try qt6 just for fun. I seem to remember some work was done to
make that work.

Mark

Re: QT Slots Corruption Issue on Shield Tube [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Mar 09, 2022 at 05:42:42PM -0500, Peter Bennett wrote:

> On 3/9/22 15:32, Piotr Oniszczuk wrote:
> > > Does anybody have any ideas how to proceed? I cannot recreate it myself as I do not have a Shield Tube. Also I do not understand how QT internal address lists could get corrupted.
> > Peter,
> >
> > I see 2 strategies:
> >
> > 1. finding root cause then modify myth code to workaround issue(*)
> > 2. workarround root cause
> >
> > So imho:
> > 1.
> > - rather difficult to find root cause (especially as issue it is in Qt code - not in Myth code. For me: waste of time)
> > - we will end with dedicated myth packages for Shield Tube
> > +no need to mangle with Shield Tube OS (Qt runtime)
> >
> > 2.
> > +easy to find solution (**)
> > +Shield will use generic (non-speciffic) myth package
> > -need to install also Qt component on Shield Tube
> >
> > (*) - i assume root cause is not myth code but rather in particular build of Qt
> >
> > (**) - just build locally the same Qt ver and start to apply kde Qt patches (https://community.kde.org/Qt5PatchCollection).
> > It is highly probable Qt bug has fix there....
> > After that you can identify single Qt binary component needed to be replaced on target (Shield Tube).
> > I don't know is Android installer able to replace component in android system dir.
> > If not - then maybe playing with LD_PRELOAD will help?
> >
> > If this will not help (KDE patches are not fixing issue) - you may try compile 5.15.3 as t has 200+ bug fixes over 5.15.2.
> > But this probably this will require full Qt binaries replacement on Shield....
> >
> > br

> Thanks for the suggestions. We build qt ourselves and add it to the package
> because android does not include qt packages. So adding patches is easy. One
> problem is I do not have the shield tube system and it only happens there,
> and only one user reported it. I can build patched versions and send it to
> them for testing, if it is indeed a qt bug. It could also be something in
> MythTV or other package overwriting the storage.

Isn't the shield tube 32-bits? If so, can you try the 32-bit version
of mythfrontend on your regular Shield?

David
--
David Engel
david@istwok.net
Re: QT Slots Corruption Issue on Shield Tube [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 2022-03-10 at 13:13 +1100, Mark Spieth wrote:
> On 10/03/2022 9:49 am, Peter Bennett wrote:

> > > Is it fixed in QT6 or latest?
> > >
> > > Is it a regression? Should we downgrade QT? If so to which
> > > version?
> > >
> > > I can do a QT update if I know it will help.
> > >
> > > Mark

> > We can try the latest QT and see if that helps. I don't know the
> > status of getting QT6 to work with MythTV. What is involved in
> > building with QT6 ? Do we just update the download location?
>
> There will be a whole new set of patches. May be lucky and no patches
> are required.
>
> Just tried with 5.15.3 but wouldn't download. Will spend some time on
> the weekend updating to at least 5.15.3 and we'll see how that goes.
>
> The current one is 5.14.1
>
> I've also had issues with 32bit on firetv max so have been using
> leanfront.
>
> It sounded like the issue is known but there is no patch yet.
>
> Maybe Ill try qt6 just for fun. I seem to remember some work was done
> to make that work.

There's a major issue with the Qt6 version that I haven't run to ground
yet. (Or even tried recently, as last time I spent days banging my head
against my desk.) If you run an operation on the front end that causes
a process to be forked off, then the display stops updating.
Mythfrontend is still running, keystrokes are still accepted, and you
can back all the way out and quit mythfrontend, but nothing changes on
the screen.  I believe I could trigger it reliably by trying to
retrieve the metadata on a video. (As I said, its been a while.) It
also happened at other times, but I could always trace it back to a
process being executed in the background. The problem has to do with
the MythMainWindow code hiding and later re-showing the window. Its
not a QT problem, as it doesn't happen when I hack the code and force
mythfrontend to use the Qt painter. It does happen with both the
OpenGL and Vulkan painters that are part of the MythTV code. Also, for
some reason this only happens when the frontend and backend are on
different systems. Makes it harder to debug on a single development
system.

I thought I had filed an issue about this, but I can't find anything on
github. I'll try and find time in the next couple of days to write it
up.

Compiling with qt6 is easy. All you should need is to cherry-pick
commit 004bdfb747 into your tree and then add the --qmake argument to
your call to configure. That commit hacks out all the code in mythtv
that references classes that were removed in qt6. All the real qt6
related changes were committed to the main branch a long time ago.
There is a devel/qt6 branch you could check out that differs from
master by that one commit, but its a six weeks out of date and needs to
be updated. I should probably just pull a new branch as the current
one was created a year ago. Its already had four merges commits that
brought in over 800 commits from the main branch. Probably best to
start fresh.

David

P.S. The qt6 based code runs fine, as long as you don't accidentally
fork a process. I've been running it on my secondary frontend box for
a year now and I forget that box is running qt6 until I trip over this
bug.

Re: QT Slots Corruption Issue on Shield Tube [ In reply to ]

> and it only happens there, and only one user reported it.

Peter,

This is very interesting.
Have you maybe OS details (major components versions, etc)?
Also - is it possible to try to reproduce issue on different Shield Tube user/unit?
Anyway: as you can build/deploy private copy of Qt - this gives us plenty possibilities.
As first steep I would try with 5.15.3...
Re: QT Slots Corruption Issue on Shield Tube [ In reply to ]
> Wiadomo?? napisana przez Peter Bennett <pb.mythtv@gmail.com> w dniu 09.03.2022, o godz. 23:49:
>
> We can try the latest QT and see if that helps. I don't know the status of getting QT6 to work with MythTV. What is involved in building with QT6 ? Do we just update the download location?

David done fantastic work with Qt6: it works perfectly fine for me.

In fact only thing holding me to switch to Qt6 at production is lack of QTWebKit answer
(so after switching to Qt6 user will loose functionality - this is nogo for me for Qt6 currently)

Re: QT Slots Corruption Issue on Shield Tube [ In reply to ]
> Wiadomo?? napisana przez Mark Spieth <mark@digivation.com.au> w dniu 10.03.2022, o godz. 03:13:
>
> Just tried with 5.15.3 but wouldn't download. Will spend some time on the weekend updating to at least 5.15.3 and we'll see how that goes.

Mark, FYI:

I switched with 5.15.3 in production to assess stability (on aarch64 and x86_64).
Functionally .3 seems perfectly fine (including my hacks for RefreshRate switching in EGLFS DRM planes mode).
Currently noticed issue with .3 is failing building of QtWebKit.

(still contemplating how long i will need to deal with this bloody nightmare of QtWebKit)

btw:
when you will play with vanilla 5.15.3 and mariaDB 10.5+ (iirc) then you may meet https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/issues/490
if this will be case - you may try fix:
https://github.com/warpme/minimyth2/blob/master/script/qt/qt5/files/qt-everywhere-src-5.15.3-fixQTBUG-95071-MySQL-dont-format-QDateTime-with-timezones.patch

br
Re: QT Slots Corruption Issue on Shield Tube [ In reply to ]
On 3/10/22 01:51, David Hampton via mythtv-dev wrote:
> [...]
> your call to configure. That commit hacks out all the code in mythtv
> that references classes that were removed in qt6. All the real qt6
> related changes were committed to the main branch a long time ago.
> There is a devel/qt6 branch you could check out that differs from
> master by that one commit, but its a six weeks out of date and needs to
> be updated. I should probably just pull a new branch as the current
> one was created a year ago. Its already had four merges commits that
> brought in over 800 commits from the main branch. Probably best to
> start fresh.
>
> David
>
> P.S. The qt6 based code runs fine, as long as you don't accidentally
> fork a process. I've been running it on my secondary frontend box for
> a year now and I forget that box is running qt6 until I trip over this

The android mythfrontend is unable to fork any processes. That does not
work with Android, attempts to do anything that forks a process always
fail. So maybe qt6 is an option for android mythfrontend.

Peter

Re: QT Slots Corruption Issue on Shield Tube [ In reply to ]
On 10/03/2022 08:21, Piotr Oniszczuk wrote:

>> Wiadomo?? napisana przez Peter Bennett <pb.mythtv@gmail.com> w dniu 09.03.2022, o godz. 23:49:
>>
>> We can try the latest QT and see if that helps. I don't know the status of getting QT6 to work with MythTV. What is involved in building with QT6 ? Do we just update the download location?
>
> David done fantastic work with Qt6: it works perfectly fine for me.
>
> In fact only thing holding me to switch to Qt6 at production is lack of QTWebKit answer
> (so after switching to Qt6 user will loose functionality - this is nogo for me for Qt6 currently)

Somebody just needs to step up and write a replacement for all the
QtWebKit code, which is now obsolete with Qt6

any takers?

Regards
Stuart
Re: QT Slots Corruption Issue on Shield Tube [ In reply to ]
On 3/10/22 09:16, Charles Bovy wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Not sure if I can post to this developers-list.
>
> Op wo 9 mrt. 2022 om 21:32 schreef Piotr Oniszczuk
> <piotr.oniszczuk@gmail.com>:
>
> I see 2 strategies:
>
> 1. finding root cause then modify myth code to workaround issue(*)
> 2. workarround root cause
>
> So imho:
> 1.
> - rather difficult to find root cause (especially as issue it is
> in Qt code - not in Myth code. For me: waste of time)
> - we will end with dedicated myth packages for Shield Tube
> +no need to mangle with Shield Tube OS (Qt runtime)
>

> It looks to me that it affects all Android 32-bit builds, as there was
> one other report from someone with Sony android TV (32-bit).
>
> 2.
> +easy to find solution (**)
> +Shield will use generic (non-speciffic) myth package
> -need to install also Qt component on Shield Tube
>

> I've compiled Mythtv with Qt 5.15.3 (just released last week or so),
> and I was able to get everything built and installed on the Shield,
> but the issue is still there. (Not sure if MythFrontend is using the
> compiled Qt or another version already present on the Shield. If
> MythFrontend is using the compiled lib, then Qt 5.15.3 is not solving
> the issue.)
>
> (**) - just build locally the same Qt ver and start to apply kde
> Qt patches (https://community.kde.org/Qt5PatchCollection).
> It is highly probable Qt bug has fix there....
>

> I will scan this list and see if there is anything worth trying.
>
> If this will not help (KDE patches are not fixing issue) - you may
> try compile 5.15.3 as t has 200+ bug fixes over 5.15.2.
> But this probably this will require full Qt binaries replacement
> on Shield....
>

> See above.
>
> Regarding the change of _a[1]. It looks like the first bit of _a is
> toggled (anything to do with unsigned vs signed??), from 1 to 0.
>
> Anyway, I'm happy to try every suggestion.
>
> Regards,
>
> Charles Bovy

Mythfrontend on android will use only the QT libraries built with it.
There is no other QT version on android for it to use.

Have you tried the 32bit version on the regular shield TV(2017)? It is
64bit but 32bit mythfrontend also works.

Peter
Re: QT Slots Corruption Issue on Shield Tube [ In reply to ]
> Wiadomo?? napisana przez Piotr Oniszczuk <piotr.oniszczuk@gmail.com> w dniu 10.03.2022, o godz. 10:39:
>
> Currently noticed issue with .3 is failing building of QtWebKit.

FYI

Ok - i found it.
It was typo on my side.
QTwebkit compiles and works well under 15.5.3 (including HTML5 video playback in myth browser)

Re: QT Slots Corruption Issue on Shield Tube [ In reply to ]
On 3/11/22 07:18, Charles Bovy wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> The 32-bit version of Mythfrontend also crashes/segfaults on the
> Shield TV 2017 (64-bit OS), in the same function.
> If anyone has done some writing down some steps on compiling with Qt
> 6, I would like to give that a try.
>
> Regards, Charles

In that case I should be able to reproduce it on my shield 2017. Can you
give me some detail on how I can most easily reproduce it, since I am
not using mythfrontend on the shield for daily viewing. Is there any
type of recording that is most likely to fail? How long before it fails
after starting playback?

Peter

Re: QT Slots Corruption Issue on Shield Tube [ In reply to ]
On 12/03/2022 1:06 am, Peter Bennett wrote:

> On 3/11/22 07:18, Charles Bovy wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> The 32-bit version of Mythfrontend also crashes/segfaults on the
>> Shield TV 2017 (64-bit OS), in the same function.
>> If anyone has done some writing down some steps on compiling with Qt
>> 6, I would like to give that a try.
>>
>> Regards, Charles
>
> In that case I should be able to reproduce it on my shield 2017. Can
> you give me some detail on how I can most easily reproduce it, since I
> am not using mythfrontend on the shield for daily viewing. Is there
> any type of recording that is most likely to fail? How long before it
> fails after starting playback?

I have updated android build top support 5.15.3 so please give it a try.

The build succeeds for me and I get a 32bit apk with current mythtv
source which I can make available if anyone wants.

I have not tried 64bit as yet but I would not expect any issues there.
It still supports 5.14.1 if needed. Might be nice if this could be
configured from buildrc. Next commit.

Other minor changes are:

    * fix libsoundtouch fetch to use original codeberg repo
    * auto discovery of latest installed ndk
    * move buildrc sourcing before paths are added

I have also tried qt 6.2.3 but I am having trouble with qt configure as
the options have changed markedly, so I backed these changes out. they
will come as soon as I figure it out. This delayed me a bit as 5.15.3
was easy.

HTH and YMMV

Mark

Re: QT Slots Corruption Issue on Shield Tube [ In reply to ]
On 3/13/22 01:01, Mark Spieth wrote:
> On 12/03/2022 1:06 am, Peter Bennett wrote:
>>
>> On 3/11/22 07:18, Charles Bovy wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> The 32-bit version of Mythfrontend also crashes/segfaults on the
>>> Shield TV 2017 (64-bit OS), in the same function.
>>> If anyone has done some writing down some steps on compiling with Qt
>>> 6, I would like to give that a try.
>>>
>>> Regards, Charles
>>
>> In that case I should be able to reproduce it on my shield 2017. Can
>> you give me some detail on how I can most easily reproduce it, since
>> I am not using mythfrontend on the shield for daily viewing. Is there
>> any type of recording that is most likely to fail? How long before it
>> fails after starting playback?
>
> I have updated android build top support 5.15.3 so please give it a try.
>
> The build succeeds for me and I get a 32bit apk with current mythtv
> source which I can make available if anyone wants.
>
> I have not tried 64bit as yet but I would not expect any issues there.
> It still supports 5.14.1 if needed. Might be nice if this could be
> configured from buildrc. Next commit.
>
> Other minor changes are:
>
>     * fix libsoundtouch fetch to use original codeberg repo
>     * auto discovery of latest installed ndk
>     * move buildrc sourcing before paths are added
>
> I have also tried qt 6.2.3 but I am having trouble with qt configure
> as the options have changed markedly, so I backed these changes out.
> they will come as soon as I figure it out. This delayed me a bit as
> 5.15.3 was easy.
>
> HTH and YMMV
>
> Mark
>

> _

I did install the 32bit build with the current Qt version (5.14.1?) on
the shield. Playing back a 1080i mpeg-2 video crashed after 5 minutes,
so I am able to reproduce the bug.

I will try building with the 5.15.3 Qt and see whether it fails.

Peter

Re: QT Slots Corruption Issue on Shield Tube [ In reply to ]
On 3/13/22 19:30, Peter Bennett wrote:

> On 3/13/22 01:01, Mark Spieth wrote:

>>> In that case I should be able to reproduce it on my shield 2017. Can
>>> you give me some detail on how I can most easily reproduce it, since
>>> I am not using mythfrontend on the shield for daily viewing. Is
>>> there any type of recording that is most likely to fail? How long
>>> before it fails after starting playback?
>>
>> I have updated android build top support 5.15.3 so please give it a try.
>>
>> The build succeeds for me and I get a 32bit apk with current mythtv
>> source which I can make available if anyone wants.
>>
>> I have not tried 64bit as yet but I would not expect any issues
>> there. It still supports 5.14.1 if needed. Might be nice if this
>> could be configured from buildrc. Next commit.
>>
>> Other minor changes are:
>>
>>     * fix libsoundtouch fetch to use original codeberg repo
>>     * auto discovery of latest installed ndk
>>     * move buildrc sourcing before paths are added
>>
>> I have also tried qt 6.2.3 but I am having trouble with qt configure
>> as the options have changed markedly, so I backed these changes out.
>> they will come as soon as I figure it out. This delayed me a bit as
>> 5.15.3 was easy.
>>
>> HTH and YMMV
>>
>> Mark
>>

>> _
>
> I did install the 32bit build with the current Qt version (5.14.1?) on
> the shield. Playing back a 1080i mpeg-2 video crashed after 5 minutes,
> so I am able to reproduce the bug.
>
> I will try building with the 5.15.3 Qt and see whether it fails.
>
> Peter

What theme are you using? For the above test I used the default
mythcenter wide theme, Then I tried installing steppes. With steppes,
mythfrontend crashes immediately after displaying the main menu, before
I have a chance to do anything. The error is

03-13 19:35:54.170  8169  8246 I scudo   : Scudo ERROR: invalid chunk
state when deallocating address 0x45409410
03-13 19:35:54.268  8169  8200 E mfe     :
signalhandling.cpp:297:handleSignal  Received Aborted: Code -1, PID
8169, UID 10115, Value 0x00000000

Scudo is part of android 11 and does memory checking.

So there seem to be other problems also.

Peter

Re: QT Slots Corruption Issue on Shield Tube [ In reply to ]
On 3/13/22 19:30, Peter Bennett wrote:

> On 3/13/22 01:01, Mark Spieth wrote:

>>> In that case I should be able to reproduce it on my shield 2017. Can
>>> you give me some detail on how I can most easily reproduce it, since
>>> I am not using mythfrontend on the shield for daily viewing. Is
>>> there any type of recording that is most likely to fail? How long
>>> before it fails after starting playback?
>>
>> I have updated android build top support 5.15.3 so please give it a try.
>>
>> The build succeeds for me and I get a 32bit apk with current mythtv
>> source which I can make available if anyone wants.
>>
>> I have not tried 64bit as yet but I would not expect any issues
>> there. It still supports 5.14.1 if needed. Might be nice if this
>> could be configured from buildrc. Next commit.
>>
>> Other minor changes are:
>>
>>     * fix libsoundtouch fetch to use original codeberg repo
>>     * auto discovery of latest installed ndk
>>     * move buildrc sourcing before paths are added
>>
>> I have also tried qt 6.2.3 but I am having trouble with qt configure
>> as the options have changed markedly, so I backed these changes out.
>> they will come as soon as I figure it out. This delayed me a bit as
>> 5.15.3 was easy.
>>
>> HTH and YMMV
>>
>> Mark
>>

>> _
>
> I did install the 32bit build with the current Qt version (5.14.1?) on
> the shield. Playing back a 1080i mpeg-2 video crashed after 5 minutes,
> so I am able to reproduce the bug.
>
> I will try building with the 5.15.3 Qt and see whether it fails.
>
> Peter

The qt build failed. I pulled the latest master from packaging. I tried
both ways to run it:
./makelibs.sh qt5extras  |& tee build_lib.log
and
make SDK=21 MODE=arm qt |& tee build_qt.log

...many lines of output...
Info: creating super cache file
/home/peter/proj/github.com/MythTV/packaging-master/android/libs/qt-everywhere-src-5.15.3/build/.qmake.super
Info: creating cache file
/home/peter/proj/github.com/MythTV/packaging-master/android/libs/qt-everywhere-src-5.15.3/build/.qmake.cache
Note: Also available for Linux: linux-clang linux-icc

ERROR: Invalid value 'no' supplied to command line option 'make'.

ERROR: Invalid command line parameter 'qtprintsupport'.

ERROR: Cannot detect the Android host.
Please use -android-ndk-host option to specify one.

Peter

Re: QT Slots Corruption Issue on Shield Tube [ In reply to ]
On 3/14/22 13:21, Charles Bovy wrote:
> Peter,
>
> Sorry, I'm not able to reply to your message on the mailing list...
> I've now subscribed to it for future use.
> Good that you are able to reproduce and that it is not an issue
> happening to me only... :-)
> I'm using the Mythbuntu theme myself. I've noticed other crashes as
> well, while starting the frontend, but they don't happen that often.
> Playing a video will trigger something more quickly.
> Let me know if you want me to test anything.
> Thanks!
>
> Regards, Charles

You said you had built with Qt 5.15.3. That requires changing the
android packaging scripts and rebuilding QT. How did you do that?

If you look in the mailing list, Mark Spieth changed the scripts a
couple of days ago to use Qt 5.15.3. I am unable to build with his changes.

Peter

Re: QT Slots Corruption Issue on Shield Tube [ In reply to ]
On 15/03/2022 5:51 am, Peter Bennett wrote:

> On 3/14/22 13:21, Charles Bovy wrote:
>> Peter,
>>
>> Sorry, I'm not able to reply to your message on the mailing list...
>> I've now subscribed to it for future use.
>> Good that you are able to reproduce and that it is not an issue
>> happening to me only... :-)
>> I'm using the Mythbuntu theme myself. I've noticed other crashes as
>> well, while starting the frontend, but they don't happen that often.
>> Playing a video will trigger something more quickly.
>> Let me know if you want me to test anything.
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Regards, Charles
>
> You said you had built with Qt 5.15.3. That requires changing the
> android packaging scripts and rebuilding QT. How did you do that?
>
> If you look in the mailing list, Mark Spieth changed the scripts a
> couple of days ago to use Qt 5.15.3. I am unable to build with his
> changes.

Well that is strange.

I will investigate today during work as I find time and fix any issues.
I may have some qt6 stuff in there when I was trying things.

Mark

Re: QT Slots Corruption Issue on Shield Tube [ In reply to ]
On 3/15/22 11:25, Charles Bovy wrote:
> Hi Peter, and others,
>
> Good question..... I've tried rebuilding again with Qt 5.15.3, and
> can´t get it to compile again. So let me try the new scripts from Mark.
>
> I've just tried the changed scripts, but somehow there is any error in
> the setenv.sh script and causes issues for me (and probably for you as
> well):
> Line 17:
> https://github.com/MythTV/packaging/commit/56d116c16a0480498ac1040af0480933f9667bea#diff-e321dd4db4ff3ed5b6ea2ba4f81a6fe895ae9a9247dfd0ee4e639f413a82fdb0R17
>
> Can you uncomment this line for now and try again?
> I was able to build master and fixes/32 (by cherry-picking Mark's
> commit) with the small change to Line 17:
> -rw-rw-r-- 1 cbovy cbovy 124741895 Mar 15 16:24
> mythfrontend-20220315-arm-v32.0-8-gae60e8302f.apk
> -rw-rw-r-- 1 cbovy cbovy 124819371 Mar 15 16:05
> mythfrontend-20220315-arm-v33-Pre-136-g1d1ca31469.apk
>
> Regards,
>
> Charles

I say don't bother. I built with Mark's scripts plus some fixes to make
them work, and I have the same segfault when playing. So Qt 5.15.3 does
not solve the problem.

Peter