Mailing List Archive

Streaming video
Hey guys!

I have not yet scoured the mailing list archives for something on this, but
from my prelim. searches on the topic and some previous experience, i don't
think it's been addressed..

My questions:

1) What are thoughts on getting Myth setup to stream? I'm trying to figure
out what exactly is going on with the .nuv.. i looked around for a free
(GPL?) video streaming thingi on linux a while back, but didn't find
anything suitable for even the most basic tasks.. Would it be at all
suitable here to just share the .nuv file, and then run some sort of media
player that doesn't care about end of file? i.e., it'll keep going past it?
that may pose some problems, but may work.. Other than that, has any
consideration been given to how this would happen?

2) Can I setup Mythtv to play a DVD (by launching another program?), or to
play some of my pre-existing movie/Simpsons episode collection? I've seen a
few curious scripting things that seem like they would make this quite
easy.. If scripting can be used to accomplish this (without caveats), then
that sort of simple answer is all I need, and I'll pursue it further..

3) I love myth, but the documentation seems to be slightly lacking.. Can I
contribute to the documentation effort?

Thank ye

tarek : )
Re: Streaming video [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Oct 23, 2002 at 01:36:57AM -0400, tarek Lubani wrote:
> Hey guys!
>
> I have not yet scoured the mailing list archives for something on this, but
> from my prelim. searches on the topic and some previous experience, i don't
> think it's been addressed..
>
> My questions:
>
> 1) What are thoughts on getting Myth setup to stream? I'm trying to figure
> out what exactly is going on with the .nuv.. i looked around for a free
> (GPL?) video streaming thingi on linux a while back, but didn't find
> anything suitable for even the most basic tasks.. Would it be at all
> suitable here to just share the .nuv file, and then run some sort of media
> player that doesn't care about end of file? i.e., it'll keep going past it?
> that may pose some problems, but may work.. Other than that, has any
> consideration been given to how this would happen?

ffmpeg is streaming software but we would need to change some stuff in
mythtv or ffmpeg.
Personaly i would like support for myth files in ffmpeg as this would
give us another instant bonus quality level recording with only a few
changes. Simply record a .nuv then ffmeg it with quality settings to avi
(mpeg4 of some kind) and stuff the data in the database then you can
1 play recordings outside of mythtv (mplayer of ffplay)
2 compress well .nuv ~ 1 gig an hour but good quality mpeg4 is ~ 100 meg
and hour maybe lower

also a couple of other things id like in mythtv while imm here
the ability to manually record at a specific time for channels not given
by mythtv or external inputs
(xmltv sometimes does not have data dont know why)

and at some point in the futer
heuristic data record stuff that i might like but that is one that can
weight

> 2) Can I setup Mythtv to play a DVD (by launching another program?), or to
> play some of my pre-existing movie/Simpsons episode collection? I've seen a
> few curious scripting things that seem like they would make this quite
> easy.. If scripting can be used to accomplish this (without caveats), then
> that sort of simple answer is all I need, and I'll pursue it further..

yes thats not too difficult sujwst mplayer

Re: Streaming video [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday 23 October 2002 01:36 am, tarek Lubani wrote:
> Hey guys!
>
> I have not yet scoured the mailing list archives for something on this, but
> from my prelim. searches on the topic and some previous experience, i don't
> think it's been addressed..
>
> My questions:
>
> 1) What are thoughts on getting Myth setup to stream? I'm trying to figure
> out what exactly is going on with the .nuv.. i looked around for a free
> (GPL?) video streaming thingi on linux a while back, but didn't find
> anything suitable for even the most basic tasks.. Would it be at all
> suitable here to just share the .nuv file, and then run some sort of media
> player that doesn't care about end of file? i.e., it'll keep going past it?
> that may pose some problems, but may work.. Other than that, has any
> consideration been given to how this would happen?

The current player class is practically ready for streaming as it is. It'd
really only require some extra buffering and read wrappers in the RingBuffer
class, and it'd be pretty much good to go.

> 2) Can I setup Mythtv to play a DVD (by launching another program?), or to
> play some of my pre-existing movie/Simpsons episode collection? I've seen a
> few curious scripting things that seem like they would make this quite
> easy.. If scripting can be used to accomplish this (without caveats), then
> that sort of simple answer is all I need, and I'll pursue it further..

Making a button and binding it to play DVDs would be easy enough, just look at
how the mainmenu.xml file runs mythmusic for an example. Playback of other
media types would just need something that does a directory search for
allowable file extensions, displays a list of matching files, and runs a user
specified program when selected.. Pretty much extremely easy code, if anyone
wants to do it.

> 3) I love myth, but the documentation seems to be slightly lacking.. Can I
> contribute to the documentation effort?

Sure.

Isaac