Mailing List Archive

1 2  View All
Re: Time to retire mythweb? [ In reply to ]
On 11/12/2021 15:15, Richard Shaw wrote:
> Before formally retiring mythweb on RPM Fusion as it doesn't work with
> the latest PHP I wanted to confirm that it will not be updated.
>
> Any reason not to retire it at this point?

It will be updated to support php8, (there is an open issue)
as its replacement is not available at this time.

It's currently a matter of testing :)

Regards
Stuart

Re: Time to retire mythweb? [ In reply to ]
>> Some time ago I very rudely described WebFrontend as being for the mobile
>> phone set. I too use MythWeb exclusively because it just works.
>
> Which is ironic since it doesn't work on a mobile phone. The design isn't
> properly responsive so it's pretty much impossible to use on a mobile browser.
>
> Are we talking of the same thing?
>
> http://{backend_ip}:6544/ ?
>
> Of course with the ripping out of the QtScript support I've no idea if this is
> even functional in the current dev build. Though it's been in MythTV for
> years, it still surprises me how few people know of it's existence.
>
>> I want a tool that does my task, with a minimum of fuss and without
>> impressing me as to how clever or artisticly talented the programmers are.
>> If WebFrontend meets those critera then good else we have a situtation
>> where developer talent is diluted trying to maintain MythWeb
>
> Again, not sure if we're talking of the same thing here. No-one has ever
> described me as artistic or clever.

(a) I did say it was a while back (b) I did say .. rudely.. (c) I humbly apologise especially as I've been looking at wots-to-be-done to rewrite and it's huge.
Twas a while back but IIRC it went something like this

Record abc
Oops never record
Ooops do record abc but not def

Until I was so wrapped in knots I could not recover. Eventually I restored that morning's backup, said enough words to get me 500 years in purgetry, wrote my mail and was very grateful for MythWeb.

James
PS yes :6544
Re: Time to retire mythweb? [ In reply to ]
On 13 Dec 2021, at 8:00 pm, mythtv-dev-request@mythtv.org wrote:

> I briefly touched on it earlier in the thread but another reason for the
> change is so that the functionality of what mythtv-setup provides will
> be available in the new Web Server so you can configure your backend
> from any web browser potentially from any where in the world. So
> basically the backend machine can become a true headless server with no
> need for an UI to run to it.
>

> I'm really not trying to piss anyone off. All I'm trying to do is put
> people in the picture of what the plan is and why.

Paul likewise I ment to offer opinions without offending anybody. Clearly I failed hence my sorry to Stuart.
The point was "I use it every day". The beast is dead, the point is hammered home.
James
Re: Time to retire mythweb? [ In reply to ]
On 12/13/2021 7:29 AM, Stuart Auchterlonie wrote:
> On 13/12/2021 03:53, faginbagin wrote:
>>
>> If I understand correctly, WebFrontend won't depend on apache or
>> nginx, right? In that case, will it still be possible to configure a
>> reverse proxy on a non-mythtv machine running apache or nginx to
>> expose WebFrontend to the internet? I'd prefer not to have to use a
>> VPN to get to it when I'm not at home.
>>

> That's on the required features list :-p
>

> Regards
> Stuart

Thanks!
Re: Time to retire mythweb? [ In reply to ]
On 12/12/2021 11:12 PM, Stephen Worthington wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Dec 2021 22:53:31 -0500, you wrote:
>
>> If I understand correctly, WebFrontend won't depend on apache or nginx,
>> right? In that case, will it still be possible to configure a reverse
>> proxy on a non-mythtv machine running apache or nginx to expose
>> WebFrontend to the internet? I'd prefer not to have to use a VPN to get
>> to it when I'm not at home.
> Anything that runs on a TCP port can be proxied. But I would still
> highly recommend using a VPN like OpenVPN or Wireguard instead. They
> are fully secure, where a proxy is inherently not so secure. Once you
> have put in the (significant) effort to make a VPN work, it is simple
> to use, and gives you full access to your home network, not just to
> one port. I have OpenVPN clients on all my devices (phone, tablet,
> laptop), and they are just click to turn on and click to turn off
> again. But I do pay to have static IP addresses, which makes doing a
> VPN server easier.

Maybe some day I'll figure out these new fangled things like VPNs. I'll
probably be forced to when my ISP switches from IPV4 to IPV6 and I can't
get by with NAT and my homegrown script & cron job that handles dynamic DNS.

Re: Time to retire mythweb? [ In reply to ]
On 13/12/2021 14:18, James wrote:
> The point was "I use it every day". The beast is dead, the point is
> hammered home.

More like, permanent life support. If people submit PR's to keep it
on life support, and not dead, then we can get them merged.....

php8 support is a good example. nice work to those who have performed
a resurection... :-)

Regards
Stuart