Also I rebased devel/ffmpeg-resync to master, although at this point
that is going nowhere.

Peter

Re: Merged FFmpeg 4.4.1 into master [ In reply to ]
On 12/3/21 09:06, Peter Bennett wrote:
> I have merged FFmpeg 4.4.1 into master from devel/ffmpeg-resync-0.
>
> Also I rebased devel/ffmpeg-resync to master, although at this point
> that is going nowhere.

I'll rebase my pull request and add the reversion commits to make the
testing of those easier.

If the reversions are acceptable, then the history can be "rewritten"
after merging the pull request by:

1. deleting the copy of ffmpeg
2. adding it back unmodified
3. applying the commits from
https://github.com/ulmus-scott/FFmpeg/commits/rebase/4.4m3

That should separate and make obvious the MythTV changes from FFmpeg.

Scott
Re: Merged FFmpeg 4.4.1 into master [ In reply to ]
On 12/4/21 4:44 PM, Scott Theisen wrote:
> On 12/3/21 09:06, Peter Bennett wrote:
>> I have merged FFmpeg 4.4.1 into master from devel/ffmpeg-resync-0.
>>
>> Also I rebased devel/ffmpeg-resync to master, although at this point
>> that is going nowhere.
>
> I'll rebase my pull request and add the reversion commits to make the
> testing of those easier.

Actually I rebased your pull request in my local repository before
applying it. Obviously I would not be able to push the rebased branch
back to your repository.
> If the reversions are acceptable, then the history can be "rewritten"
> after merging the pull request by:
>
> 1. deleting the copy of ffmpeg
> 2. adding it back unmodified
> 3. applying the commits from
> https://github.com/ulmus-scott/FFmpeg/commits/rebase/4.4m3
>
> That should separate and make obvious the MythTV changes from FFmpeg.
>
> Scott

Hi Scott

Do you have any idea what caused the problem that Klaas had, where he
could not skip during playback? I was unable to re-create that.

Moving forward from here, I want to start planning for the next ffmpeg
version. FFmpeg master has advanced a lot since release/4.4 and I think
it best if we start with that. I attempted to merge FFmpeg master into
our FFmpeg master and there was a huge number of conflicts. I imagine
there will be a similar problem if we try to apply your list of commits
to FFmpeg master. I think they have done a lot of cleanup and
re-arranging of code into different files.

Perhaps we can maintain a branch in MythTV that runs with FFmpeg master,
until FFmpeg branch off release/4.5 then we merge it back into our master.

Peter
Re: Merged FFmpeg 4.4.1 into master [ In reply to ]
On 12/4/21 20:38, Peter Bennett wrote:
> On 12/4/21 4:44 PM, Scott Theisen wrote:
>> On 12/3/21 09:06, Peter Bennett wrote:
>>> I have merged FFmpeg 4.4.1 into master from devel/ffmpeg-resync-0.
>>>
>>> Also I rebased devel/ffmpeg-resync to master, although at this point
>>> that is going nowhere.
>>
>> I'll rebase my pull request and add the reversion commits to make the
>> testing of those easier.
>>
> Actually I rebased your pull request in my local repository before
> applying it. Obviously I would not be able to push the rebased branch
> back to your repository.
I meant the current master with ffmpeg 4.4.1.
> Do you have any idea what caused the problem that Klaas had, where he
> could not skip during playback? I was unable to re-create that.
No, I never found time to try replicating it, and then it was decided to
just use the merge instead of my rebase.

I was making the reversions based on my reading of the code. However,
since I have now added the reversion commits to my pull request, it
should be easy to bisect if the issue is still there.

> Moving forward from here, I want to start planning for the next ffmpeg
> version. FFmpeg master has advanced a lot since release/4.4 and I
> think it best if we start with that. I attempted to merge FFmpeg
> master into our FFmpeg master and there was a huge number of
> conflicts. I imagine there will be a similar problem if we try to
> apply your list of commits to FFmpeg master. I think they have done a
> lot of cleanup and re-arranging of code into different files.

Some of the problematic commits:
avformat/utils: Make ff_compute_frame_duration() static ·
ulmus-scott/FFmpeg@c6d780b
https://github.com/FFmpeg/FFmpeg/commit/c6d780b92ea9bb2990367d3fa487664149829e33

avformat/utils: Move seeking code out into a new file ·
ulmus-scott/FFmpeg@cf7c51f
https://github.com/FFmpeg/FFmpeg/commit/cf7c51f24ba5ea7196e89a205c1860048e2226b5

avformat/utils: Move demuxing code out into a new file ·
ulmus-scott/FFmpeg@bde2cdf
https://github.com/FFmpeg/FFmpeg/commit/bde2cdfe9b570fdff2e741d68758e23271b9527c

> Perhaps we can maintain a branch in MythTV that runs with FFmpeg
> master, until FFmpeg branch off release/4.5 then we merge it back into
> our master.

I think keeping the FFmpeg fork is a better idea.  The master branch on
my fork is now FFmpeg's master.  Rebasing the mythtv changes onto ffmpeg
master is a work in progress.

I would like to drop
https://github.com/ulmus-scott/FFmpeg/commit/b642a799b5b6d35a46038f84ef6c54593e50d485
because of the ffmpeg reorganization and since they are from 2008,
referencing the mythtv internal DVD player.  If the null dereferences
these checks may prevent (they are probably redundant) still occur, they
will probably be fixed by not using ffmpeg's internal headers and functions.

Regards,

Scott