Mailing List Archive

Where's a good place to report PPA packaging bugs?
[.I'm guessing the problem is in upstream? But maybe its
maintainer reads this list?]

Right out of the gate, the PPA install of v31 under Ubuntu 20.04
on a machine that's never before run Myth complained:
> /tmp/mythtv-common.config.lQ0jSJ: 29: pwgen: not found
> mythtv-common failed to preconfigure, with exit status 127

I see a bug report on Launchpad [1], first reported in 2015 and with no
resolution, but I don't know if that's relevant to the PPA version
instead of the Canonical version. I went to [2], but can't seem
to find any links there to report a bug. It directed me to [3]
for more information, which is 404.

I couldn't install pwgen and continue, since apt-get was holding
the package lock, so I had to ^C. I did so, installed pwgen, reran
the apt-get install, and it appears to have worked; that line in
mythtv-common.config appears to be setting up the mythtv DB password
and there's a random-looking entry in /etc/mythtv/config.xml.

But it's still disconcerting, and -such- an apparently easy thing
to fix in the packaging... :)

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/mythbuntu/+bug/1389741
[2] https://launchpad.net/~mythbuntu
[3] http://www.mythbuntu.org/

P.S. I did a dry run with --install-sugggests. Holy cow! It wanted
to install 759 extra packages. Only 102 of them are apparently in
support of xmltv. (xfonts-cyrillic? eh?) Maybe some other day. :)
Re: Where's a good place to report PPA packaging bugs? [ In reply to ]
On 28/07/2021 20:38, f-myth-users@media.mit.edu wrote:

> [.I'm guessing the problem is in upstream? But maybe its
> maintainer reads this list?]
>
> Right out of the gate, the PPA install of v31 under Ubuntu 20.04
> on a machine that's never before run Myth complained:
> > /tmp/mythtv-common.config.lQ0jSJ: 29: pwgen: not found
> > mythtv-common failed to preconfigure, with exit status 127
>
> I see a bug report on Launchpad [1], first reported in 2015 and with no
> resolution, but I don't know if that's relevant to the PPA version
> instead of the Canonical version. I went to [2], but can't seem
> to find any links there to report a bug. It directed me to [3]
> for more information, which is 404.
>
> I couldn't install pwgen and continue, since apt-get was holding
> the package lock, so I had to ^C. I did so, installed pwgen, reran
> the apt-get install, and it appears to have worked; that line in
> mythtv-common.config appears to be setting up the mythtv DB password
> and there's a random-looking entry in /etc/mythtv/config.xml.
>
> But it's still disconcerting, and -such- an apparently easy thing
> to fix in the packaging... :)
>
> [1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/mythbuntu/+bug/1389741
> [2] https://launchpad.net/~mythbuntu
> [3] http://www.mythbuntu.org/
>
> P.S. I did a dry run with --install-sugggests. Holy cow! It wanted
> to install 759 extra packages. Only 102 of them are apparently in
> support of xmltv. (xfonts-cyrillic? eh?) Maybe some other day. :)

What's the easy fix?

pwgen should already be installed by mythtv-common as a Pre-Depends?

https://github.com/MythTV/packaging/blob/fixes/31/deb/debian/control#L139

Paul H.

Re: Where's a good place to report PPA packaging bugs? [ In reply to ]
> Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2021 00:12:52 +0100
> From: Paul Harrison <mythtv@mythqml.net>

> What's the easy fix?

> pwgen should already be installed by mythtv-common as a Pre-Depends?

> https://github.com/MythTV/packaging/blob/fixes/31/deb/debian/control#L139

I'm not a packaging expert, but that certainly sounds plausible.

Oh wait, the code you referenced is from March. Shouldn't
it have made its way into a PPA that I grabbed on June 30th?
I did add-apt-repository ppa:mythbuntu/31; apt-get install mythtv
on that date, and I just ran this right now:

$ apt-cache policy mythtv
mythtv:
Installed: 2:31.0+fixes.202106102123.0680b37c68~ubuntu20.04.1
Candidate: 2:31.0+fixes.202107250658.7037525723~ubuntu20.04.1
Version table:
2:31.0+fixes.202107250658.7037525723~ubuntu20.04.1 500
500 http://ppa.launchpad.net/mythbuntu/31/ubuntu focal/main amd64 Packages
500 http://ppa.launchpad.net/mythbuntu/31/ubuntu focal/main i386 Packages
*** 2:31.0+fixes.202106102123.0680b37c68~ubuntu20.04.1 100
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
2:31.0+fixes.20200323.9579662cdc-0ubuntu1 500
500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal/multiverse amd64 Packages
500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal/multiverse i386 Packages

I'm a bit confused. If you like, I could send you the complete
transcript of the installation as a gzip'ed attachment, along with
/var/log/apt/{history,term}.log if they'd help sort this out.
Re: Where's a good place to report PPA packaging bugs? [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 28 Jul 2021 15:38:36 -0400, you wrote:

>[.I'm guessing the problem is in upstream? But maybe its
>maintainer reads this list?]
>
>Right out of the gate, the PPA install of v31 under Ubuntu 20.04
>on a machine that's never before run Myth complained:
> > /tmp/mythtv-common.config.lQ0jSJ: 29: pwgen: not found
> > mythtv-common failed to preconfigure, with exit status 127
>
>I see a bug report on Launchpad [1], first reported in 2015 and with no
>resolution, but I don't know if that's relevant to the PPA version
>instead of the Canonical version. I went to [2], but can't seem
>to find any links there to report a bug. It directed me to [3]
>for more information, which is 404.
>
>I couldn't install pwgen and continue, since apt-get was holding
>the package lock, so I had to ^C. I did so, installed pwgen, reran
>the apt-get install, and it appears to have worked; that line in
>mythtv-common.config appears to be setting up the mythtv DB password
>and there's a random-looking entry in /etc/mythtv/config.xml.
>
>But it's still disconcerting, and -such- an apparently easy thing
>to fix in the packaging... :)
>
>[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/mythbuntu/+bug/1389741
>[2] https://launchpad.net/~mythbuntu
>[3] http://www.mythbuntu.org/
>
>P.S. I did a dry run with --install-sugggests. Holy cow! It wanted
>to install 759 extra packages. Only 102 of them are apparently in
>support of xmltv. (xfonts-cyrillic? eh?) Maybe some other day. :)

After package install problems, once you fix the problem, it is best
to run:

sudo apt -f install

to get apt to fix any problems with the already (partially?) installed
packages.
Re: Where's a good place to report PPA packaging bugs? [ In reply to ]
> Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2021 14:13:09 +1200
> From: Stephen Worthington <stephen_agent@jsw.gen.nz>

> After package install problems, once you fix the problem, it is best
> to run:

> sudo apt -f install

> to get apt to fix any problems with the already (partially?) installed
> packages.

Do you meant "apt-get -f install" instead? apt doesn't have -f.

In any event, synaptic reports no broken packages, and
"apt-get --dry-run -f install" only reports that it'd like
to upgrade 41 packages but do nothing else, so I think I'm okay there.

(And as for my prior message to this list, I hadn't done git blame on
that line yet, because I hadn't quite understood Paul's message when I
first read it. I now see that the Pre-Depends has been on mythtv-common
for many months. I have no explanation for why that didn't appear to
fire, however. Maybe the right thing to do is for a package maintainer
to try installing in a fresh 20.04 inside a schroot and see what happens
for "add-apt-repository ppa:mythbuntu/31; apt-get install mythtv" because
I sure don't see why Pre-Depends didn't haul in pwgen before trying to
do anything with mythtv-common.)
Re: Where's a good place to report PPA packaging bugs? [ In reply to ]
On 29/07/2021 03:50, f-myth-users@media.mit.edu wrote:

> > Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2021 14:13:09 +1200
> > From: Stephen Worthington <stephen_agent@jsw.gen.nz>
>
> > After package install problems, once you fix the problem, it is best
> > to run:
>
> > sudo apt -f install
>
> > to get apt to fix any problems with the already (partially?) installed
> > packages.
>
> Do you meant "apt-get -f install" instead? apt doesn't have -f.
>
> In any event, synaptic reports no broken packages, and
> "apt-get --dry-run -f install" only reports that it'd like
> to upgrade 41 packages but do nothing else, so I think I'm okay there.
>
> (And as for my prior message to this list, I hadn't done git blame on
> that line yet, because I hadn't quite understood Paul's message when I
> first read it. I now see that the Pre-Depends has been on mythtv-common
> for many months. I have no explanation for why that didn't appear to
> fire, however. Maybe the right thing to do is for a package maintainer
> to try installing in a fresh 20.04 inside a schroot and see what happens
> for "add-apt-repository ppa:mythbuntu/31; apt-get install mythtv" because
> I sure don't see why Pre-Depends didn't haul in pwgen before trying to
> do anything with mythtv-common.)

I did a clean install of stock Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS a couple of weeks ago
and didn't have any problems. Our figures show approximately 81% of all
MythTV users that submit there stats to us use Ubuntu and about 41% of
those use 20.04 so if it was a wide spread problem we would know about
it by now. We did recently have someone on the forum reporting problems
not related to this that was eventually tracked down to them only
partially updating there system so they ended up with mismatched
packages installed and not surprisingly they had problems.

As for who is the PPA maintainer? Since MythBuntu closed down there
isn't one. We all muck in when we can to maintain best we can the
packaging repo that has the debian packaging instructions that's used by
the Ubuntu Launchpad builders. I think I'm the only active MythTV dev
who has access to the Mythbuntu PPA's so can do some maintenance on
there if needed.

Paul H.

Re: Where's a good place to report PPA packaging bugs? [ In reply to ]
> Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2021 11:31:18 +0100
> From: Paul Harrison <mythtv@mythqml.net>

> I did a clean install of stock Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS a couple of weeks ago
> and didn't have any problems. Our figures show approximately 81% of all
> MythTV users that submit there stats to us use Ubuntu and about 41% of
> those use 20.04 so if it was a wide spread problem we would know about
> it by now. We did recently have someone on the forum reporting problems
> not related to this that was eventually tracked down to them only
> partially updating there system so they ended up with mismatched
> packages installed and not surprisingly they had problems.

Fascinating. Well, this is a 20.04 system which I installed last year,
but it's never had any mismatched packages (I believe Myth is the first
PPA I've enabled, for example). I've just installed a few packages
(emacs etc) and have let the updater update old packages every so often.
I've never aborted it in the middle of a package operation, and it
reports no broken packages. (And 20.04 was freshly-installed; I've
never felt it worth the risk of upgrading through versions because
I've often heard of people running into subtle bugs when they do that.)

I suppose if this is rare, then it's not going to inconvenience
everyone who installs Myth, which was what I thought was going on
and why I reported it.

(My offer to share logfiles etc still stands, if you or anyone
else think they'd help in debugging this. I don't throw logs away.)

Obviously my short-term problem is resolved, because installing pwgen
fixed it. But I don't understand why the Pre-Depends did nothing.

[....a thought. It's not possible that if I had a few packages awaiting
updates (e.g,. security updates that haven't run yet) that that could
block a Pre-Depends, right? You'd think those are totally independent.
I'm grasping at straws here, and that would seem to indicate some sort
of apt bug. But I don't -think- I did an update immediately before
installing myth, so there may have been some outstanding.]

> As for who is the PPA maintainer? Since MythBuntu closed down there
> isn't one. We all muck in when we can to maintain best we can the
> packaging repo that has the debian packaging instructions that's used by
> the Ubuntu Launchpad builders. I think I'm the only active MythTV dev
> who has access to the Mythbuntu PPA's so can do some maintenance on
> there if needed.

OK. And thanks!