Mailing List Archive

Android playback synchronization (was Re: mythfrontend-20210221-arm-v32-Pre-2365-gb6e2003f64)
On 2/23/21 9:34 AM, Peter Bennett wrote:

> On 2/23/21 8:43 AM, John wrote:
>> Playback is very jerky with? the latest android build but fine with
>> the same release on Intel hardware.
>>
>> Tested on F4K & Shield TV.
>>
>> I cannot say whether the issue is UK specific, tested with
>> 1920*1080@25fps.
>>
>> H264 vaapi is good.
>>
>> Mediacodec and opengl on android poor.
>>
>> Apologies as I can't compile for android I cannot bisect the issue.
>>
>> FWIW mythfrontend-20201222-arm-v32-Pre-1870-g283caa7b84 is fine.
>>

> Have you tried the various options in the playback profile? I believe
> the default playback profile for Mediacodec may have two entries, the
> first one being for "Standard" decoding. If you have that it will use
> Standard for everything and ignore the second entry. Delete the
> "Standard" Entry if you have one and look at the Mediacodec entry.
> There are options for Mediacodec and Mediacodec(decode only). Try
> various options here to see if the problem is resolved.
>
> You may have already done this. I will try it out later myself to see
> if I have the same issues and respond.
>
> At this point I am not working on the mythfrontend playback, Mark
> Kendall is doing all of the work. I am just doing the packages. If the
> problem persists, please create a ticket in github and Mark can take a
> look at it.
>
> Peter

I tried it and I agree that playback is awful. There seems to be no
synchronization of audio and video. The video shoots ahead at high speed
and then slows to a crawl, then repeats that again.

Possibly caused by chrono changes or playback changes.

Peter

Re: Android playback synchronization (was Re: mythfrontend-20210221-arm-v32-Pre-2365-gb6e2003f64) [ In reply to ]
On 23/02/2021 16:23, Peter Bennett wrote:

> On 2/23/21 9:34 AM, Peter Bennett wrote:
>>
>> On 2/23/21 8:43 AM, John wrote:
>>> Playback is very jerky with? the latest android build but fine with
>>> the same release on Intel hardware.
>>>
>>> Tested on F4K & Shield TV.
>>>
>>> I cannot say whether the issue is UK specific, tested with
>>> 1920*1080@25fps.
>>>
>>> H264 vaapi is good.
>>>
>>> Mediacodec and opengl on android poor.
>>>
>>> Apologies as I can't compile for android I cannot bisect the issue.
>>>
>>> FWIW mythfrontend-20201222-arm-v32-Pre-1870-g283caa7b84 is fine.
>>>

>> Have you tried the various options in the playback profile? I believe
>> the default playback profile for Mediacodec may have two entries, the
>> first one being for "Standard" decoding. If you have that it will use
>> Standard for everything and ignore the second entry. Delete the
>> "Standard" Entry if you have one and look at the Mediacodec entry.
>> There are options for Mediacodec and Mediacodec(decode only). Try
>> various options here to see if the problem is resolved.
>>
>> You may have already done this. I will try it out later myself to see
>> if I have the same issues and respond.
>>
>> At this point I am not working on the mythfrontend playback, Mark
>> Kendall is doing all of the work. I am just doing the packages. If the
>> problem persists, please create a ticket in github and Mark can take a
>> look at it.
>>
>> Peter
>>
> I tried it and I agree that playback is awful. There seems to be no
> synchronization of audio and video. The video shoots ahead at high speed
> and then slows to a crawl, then repeats that again.
>
> Possibly caused by chrono changes or playback changes.
>
> Peter

I have tried it with my Firestick 4K on a few of my UK DVB-T2 HD
recordings, although no longer in their original state; with opengl
playback was indeed jerky, but via mediacodec there's just the usual
raggedness during panning. As is usual now, leanfront is noticeably
smoother and I tend to use the linux PC frontends mainly for system
management.

John P
Re: Android playback synchronization (was Re: mythfrontend-20210221-arm-v32-Pre-2365-gb6e2003f64) [ In reply to ]
On 2/23/21 11:23 AM, Peter Bennett wrote:

> On 2/23/21 9:34 AM, Peter Bennett wrote:
>>
>> On 2/23/21 8:43 AM, John wrote:
>>> Playback is very jerky with? the latest android build but fine with
>>> the same release on Intel hardware.
>>>
>>> Tested on F4K & Shield TV.
>>>
>>> I cannot say whether the issue is UK specific, tested with
>>> 1920*1080@25fps.
>>>
>>> H264 vaapi is good.
>>>
>>> Mediacodec and opengl on android poor.
>>>
>>> Apologies as I can't compile for android I cannot bisect the issue.
>>>
>>> FWIW mythfrontend-20201222-arm-v32-Pre-1870-g283caa7b84 is fine.
>>>

>> Have you tried the various options in the playback profile? I believe
>> the default playback profile for Mediacodec may have two entries, the
>> first one being for "Standard" decoding. If you have that it will use
>> Standard for everything and ignore the second entry. Delete the
>> "Standard" Entry if you have one and look at the Mediacodec entry.
>> There are options for Mediacodec and Mediacodec(decode only). Try
>> various options here to see if the problem is resolved.
>>
>> You may have already done this. I will try it out later myself to see
>> if I have the same issues and respond.
>>
>> At this point I am not working on the mythfrontend playback, Mark
>> Kendall is doing all of the work. I am just doing the packages. If
>> the problem persists, please create a ticket in github and Mark can
>> take a look at it.
>>
>> Peter
>>
> I tried it and I agree that playback is awful. There seems to be no
> synchronization of audio and video. The video shoots ahead at high
> speed and then slows to a crawl, then repeats that again.
>
> Possibly caused by chrono changes or playback changes.
>
> Peter

Just checked and it is only the 32bit build of Android mythfrontend that
has the problem. On the shield you can run the 64bit version and that
works fine. The fire stick will not support 64 bit and needs the 32bit
build.

Peter

Re: Android playback synchronization (was Re: mythfrontend-20210221-arm-v32-Pre-2365-gb6e2003f64) [ In reply to ]
On 23/02/2021 18:12, Peter Bennett wrote:

> On 2/23/21 11:23 AM, Peter Bennett wrote:

>>> Have you tried the various options in the playback profile? I believe
>>> the default playback profile for Mediacodec may have two entries, the
>>> first one being for "Standard" decoding. If you have that it will use
>>> Standard for everything and ignore the second entry. Delete the
>>> "Standard" Entry if you have one and look at the Mediacodec entry.
>>> There are options for Mediacodec and Mediacodec(decode only). Try
>>> various options here to see if the problem is resolved.
>>>
>>> You may have already done this. I will try it out later myself to see
>>> if I have the same issues and respond.
>>>
>>> At this point I am not working on the mythfrontend playback, Mark
>>> Kendall is doing all of the work. I am just doing the packages. If
>>> the problem persists, please create a ticket in github and Mark can
>>> take a look at it.
>>>
>>> Peter
>>>
>> I tried it and I agree that playback is awful. There seems to be no
>> synchronization of audio and video. The video shoots ahead at high
>> speed and then slows to a crawl, then repeats that again.
>>
>> Possibly caused by chrono changes or playback changes.
>>
>> Peter
>>

> Just checked and it is only the 32bit build of Android mythfrontend that
> has the problem. On the shield you can run the 64bit version and that
> works fine. The fire stick will not support 64 bit and needs the 32bit
> build.
>
> Peter

I have several times watched good continuous playback of mpeg2 video for
30 minutes or so - and then quite suddenly erratic speed changes and
loss of sync start and look likely to the end. On the recording I have
playing now it's OK for 36 minutes. Firestick 4K, Peter's build at
2365, 32 bit, MPEG-2 ffmpeg, Deint 4xCPU 2x CPU Onefield

John P
Re: Android playback synchronization (was Re: mythfrontend-20210221-arm-v32-Pre-2365-gb6e2003f64) [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 2021-02-24 at 21:22 +0000, John Pilkington wrote:
> On 23/02/2021 18:12, Peter Bennett wrote:

> > > I tried it and I agree that playback is awful. There seems to be
> > > no
> > > synchronization of audio and video. The video shoots ahead at
> > > high
> > > speed and then slows to a crawl, then repeats that again.
> > >
> > > Possibly caused by chrono changes or playback changes.
> > >
> > > Peter
> > >

> > Just checked and it is only the 32bit build of Android mythfrontend
> > that
> > has the problem. On the shield you can run the 64bit version and
> > that
> > works fine. The fire stick will not support 64 bit and needs the
> > 32bit
> > build.
> >
> > Peter
>
> I have several times watched good continuous playback of mpeg2 video
> for
> 30 minutes or so - and then quite suddenly erratic speed changes and
> loss of sync start and look likely to the end.  On the recording I
> have
> playing now it's OK for 36 minutes.  Firestick 4K, Peter's build at
> 2365, 32 bit, MPEG-2 ffmpeg, Deint 4xCPU 2x CPU Onefield

I just committed a change that should fix the playback problem on 32-
bit android. Please try again after Peter updates his builds.

David

Re: Android playback synchronization (was Re: mythfrontend-20210221-arm-v32-Pre-2365-gb6e2003f64) [ In reply to ]
On 25/02/2021 02:12, David Hampton via mythtv-dev wrote:
> On Wed, 2021-02-24 at 21:22 +0000, John Pilkington wrote:

>>> Just checked and it is only the 32bit build of Android mythfrontend
>>> that
>>> has the problem. On the shield you can run the 64bit version and
>>> that
>>> works fine. The fire stick will not support 64 bit and needs the
>>> 32bit
>>> build.
>>>
>>> Peter
>>
>> I have several times watched good continuous playback of mpeg2 video
>> for
>> 30 minutes or so - and then quite suddenly erratic speed changes and
>> loss of sync start and look likely to the end.  On the recording I
>> have
>> playing now it's OK for 36 minutes.  Firestick 4K, Peter's build at
>> 2365, 32 bit, MPEG-2 ffmpeg, Deint 4xCPU 2x CPU Onefield
>
> I just committed a change that should fix the playback problem on 32-
> bit android. Please try again after Peter updates his builds.
>
> David

I suppose it's obvious, but my observation of limited-duration good
playback was with post-processed recordings with timestamps starting
from zero. ISTR the clock rate is 900 Khz, and 36 x 60 x 900000 >
1.944G while 2 ** 31 > 2.1G

John
Re: Android playback synchronization (was Re: mythfrontend-20210221-arm-v32-Pre-2365-gb6e2003f64) [ In reply to ]
On 2/24/21 4:22 PM, John Pilkington wrote:
> I have several times watched good continuous playback of mpeg2 video
> for 30 minutes or so - and then quite suddenly erratic speed changes
> and loss of sync start and look likely to the end.? On the recording I
> have playing now it's OK for 36 minutes.? Firestick 4K, Peter's build
> at 2365, 32 bit, MPEG-2 ffmpeg, Deint 4xCPU 2x CPU Onefield

With the 32bit build I cannot get it to play correctly at all. Crazy
high speed alternates with slow motion. I think there is a problem
caused by the chrono changes. David Hampton is looking into it.

Peter

Re: Android playback synchronization - looking good [ In reply to ]
On 25/02/2021 14:17, Peter Bennett wrote:

> On 2/24/21 4:22 PM, John Pilkington wrote:
>> I have several times watched good continuous playback of mpeg2 video
>> for 30 minutes or so - and then quite suddenly erratic speed changes
>> and loss of sync start and look likely to the end.? On the recording I
>> have playing now it's OK for 36 minutes.? Firestick 4K, Peter's build
>> at 2365, 32 bit, MPEG-2 ffmpeg, Deint 4xCPU 2x CPU Onefield
>
> With the 32bit build I cannot get it to play correctly at all. Crazy
> high speed alternates with slow motion. I think there is a problem
> caused by the chrono changes. David Hampton is looking into it.
>
> Peter

The new 32-bit build of today's master is working well for me. No
speed or sync problems seen on skipping anywhere in 2-hour SD or HD
recordings from DVB-T/T2. v32-Pre-2376

John P