Mailing List Archive

HD-PVR and multirec
Hi,

The HD-PVR is a card that encodes an incoming video signal.
It does not have a tuner, it does not receive a multiplex and hence it
cannot support recording different programs
from one multiplex. It might in principle support simultaneous recordings
of the same channel; this can happen
when recordings of different programs are scheduled to overlap.

MythTV behavior for multirec is controlled by two fields in table
capturecard:
reclimit This is the "Max Recordings" option in mythtv-setup
schedgroup This is the "Schedule as Group" option in mythtv-setup
The default value for reclimit is 2.
The default value for schedgroup is 1 (true).

For DVB capture cards, with tuners, the reclimit and schedgroup values can
be edited in mythtv-setup
page "Input Connections" / "Interactions Between Inputs".

For HD-PVR cards the "Interactions Between Inputs" page does not show the
"Max Recordings" and the "Schedule as Group" fields.

When "Schedule as Group" is selected then the scheduler will create
additional virtual tuners (capturecard entries)
when needed for multirec.

When a new HD-PVR tuner is created there is only one entry added to
database table capturecard.
The value of reclimit is 2 which indicates there should also be a second
entry. For DVB cards there are two entries after the "Save and Exit".
The value of schedgroup is 1 (true) which indicates that additional virtual
tuners (entries in capturecard) can be created dynamically.
This currently fails on HD-PVR cards.

Overlapping recordings on the same channel is supported for DVB cards.
I think that this should also be supported for HD-PVR cards.

If this is supported for HD-PVR cards, or if it will be supported, then the
mythtv-setup page needs to be changed so that the
"Max Recordings" and "Schedule as Group" fields can be configured.
Also the number of entries in capturecard will then be what is configured
in "Max Recordings".

If overlapping recordings on the same channel is NOT supported for HD-PVR
cards and if this will not be added then the
mythtv-setup page is correct but the value for "Max Recordings" must then
be 1 and the value for "Schedule as Group" must be false.

I would like to ask if my understanding of the HD-PVR and the current
behaviour of MythTV with this card is correct,
and what the idea is of what the correct behavior should be.
The next step is then of course to fix it.

N.B. SImilar problems have been reported for "V4L2 Encoder" capture cards,
This has reportedly been fixed by setting reclimit to 1 and schedgroup to 0.
I might take that along as well.

Thanks,
Klaas.

2965,1 99%
Re: HD-PVR and multirec [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Feb 20, 2021 at 05:13:06PM +0100, Klaas de Waal wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The HD-PVR is a card that encodes an incoming video signal.
> It does not have a tuner, it does not receive a multiplex and hence it
> cannot support recording different programs
> from one multiplex. It might in principle support simultaneous recordings
> of the same channel; this can happen
> when recordings of different programs are scheduled to overlap.
>
> MythTV behavior for multirec is controlled by two fields in table
> capturecard:
> reclimit This is the "Max Recordings" option in mythtv-setup
> schedgroup This is the "Schedule as Group" option in mythtv-setup
> The default value for reclimit is 2.
> The default value for schedgroup is 1 (true).
>
> For DVB capture cards, with tuners, the reclimit and schedgroup values can
> be edited in mythtv-setup
> page "Input Connections" / "Interactions Between Inputs".
>
> For HD-PVR cards the "Interactions Between Inputs" page does not show the
> "Max Recordings" and the "Schedule as Group" fields.
>
> When "Schedule as Group" is selected then the scheduler will create
> additional virtual tuners (capturecard entries)
> when needed for multirec.
>
> When a new HD-PVR tuner is created there is only one entry added to
> database table capturecard.
> The value of reclimit is 2 which indicates there should also be a second
> entry. For DVB cards there are two entries after the "Save and Exit".
> The value of schedgroup is 1 (true) which indicates that additional virtual
> tuners (entries in capturecard) can be created dynamically.
> This currently fails on HD-PVR cards.
>
> Overlapping recordings on the same channel is supported for DVB cards.
> I think that this should also be supported for HD-PVR cards.
>
> If this is supported for HD-PVR cards, or if it will be supported, then the
> mythtv-setup page needs to be changed so that the
> "Max Recordings" and "Schedule as Group" fields can be configured.
> Also the number of entries in capturecard will then be what is configured
> in "Max Recordings".
>
> If overlapping recordings on the same channel is NOT supported for HD-PVR
> cards and if this will not be added then the
> mythtv-setup page is correct but the value for "Max Recordings" must then
> be 1 and the value for "Schedule as Group" must be false.
>
> I would like to ask if my understanding of the HD-PVR and the current
> behaviour of MythTV with this card is correct,
> and what the idea is of what the correct behavior should be.
> The next step is then of course to fix it.
>
> N.B. SImilar problems have been reported for "V4L2 Encoder" capture cards,
> This has reportedly been fixed by setting reclimit to 1 and schedgroup to 0.
> I might take that along as well.

I thought multirec is supposed to work for HD-PVRs. I'm not sure
about other V4L tuners. John Poet should be able to definitively
answer this. My understanding is this should all be controlled by
CardUtil::IsTunerSharingCapable(). It doesn't currently include HDPVR
so I could be mistaken about it's capabilities.

David
--
David Engel
david@istwok.net
Re: HD-PVR and multirec [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Feb 20, 2021 at 10:40 AM David Engel <david@istwok.net> wrote:

> [...]
> > be 1 and the value for "Schedule as Group" must be false.
> >
> > I would like to ask if my understanding of the HD-PVR and the current
> > behaviour of MythTV with this card is correct,
> > and what the idea is of what the correct behavior should be.
> > The next step is then of course to fix it.
> >
> > N.B. SImilar problems have been reported for "V4L2 Encoder" capture
> cards,
> > This has reportedly been fixed by setting reclimit to 1 and schedgroup
> to 0.
> > I might take that along as well.
>
> I thought multirec is supposed to work for HD-PVRs. I'm not sure
> about other V4L tuners. John Poet should be able to definitively
> answer this. My understanding is this should all be controlled by
> CardUtil::IsTunerSharingCapable(). It doesn't currently include HDPVR
> so I could be mistaken about it's capabilities.

For capturing from a HD-PVR(v1) MythTV uses the mpegrecorder which does not
support multirec. If we are talking about the newer HD-PVR2 then it works
via an ExternalRecorder which does support multirec.

At one point I worked on creating a multi-rec capable V4L2 recorder and the
code is there, However, for various reasons I ended up removing all such
devices from my system and cannot guarantee that code works or is complete.
It has been on my TODO list to re-visit it, but I have never gotten around
to it.

John
Re: HD-PVR and multirec [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 21 Feb 2021 at 17:19, John P Poet <jppoet@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>> answer this. My understanding is this should all be controlled by
>> CardUtil::IsTunerSharingCapable(). It doesn't currently include HDPVR
>> so I could be mistaken about it's capabilities.
>>
>> David
>>

> For capturing from a HD-PVR(v1) MythTV uses the mpegrecorder which does
> not support multirec. If we are talking about the newer HD-PVR2 then it
> works via an ExternalRecorder which does support multirec.
>
> At one point I worked on creating a multi-rec capable V4L2 recorder and
> the code is there, However, for various reasons I ended up removing all
> such devices from my system and cannot guarantee that code works or is
> complete. It has been on my TODO list to re-visit it, but I have never
> gotten around to it.
>
> John
>

> The summary is that MythTV-setup "Card Type" entries "V4L2 Encoder" and
"HD-PVR H.264 Encoder" both do NOT support any form of multirec, so they do
not support overlapping recordings. Recording multiple programs is of
course never possible with analog input.
The correct database configuration in table captureard for both card types
is then:
reclimit 1
schedgroup 0
It does not really make sense to make these values editable in mythtv-setup.
I'll have a go at checking this and fixing where needed.

Thanks for clarifying,
Klaas.