Ad ticket #13518: tmdb3.py not automatically loads available cover/banner
@ Paul H. and @ warpme

Hi, could you please review the patch proposed in #13518?

I still do not know the reason for
https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/commit/2738b98

Reverting this, restores the loading of available cover/banner/artwork.

Thanks,
Roland
Re: Ad ticket #13518: tmdb3.py not automatically loads available cover/banner [ In reply to ]
On 26/09/2020 14:32, Roland Ernst wrote:
> @ Paul H. and @ warpme
>
> Hi, could you please review the patch proposed in #13518?
>
> I still do not know the reason for
> https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/commit/2738b98
>
> Reverting this, restores the loading of available cover/banner/artwork.
>
> Thanks,
> Roland

Hi Roland,

I don't remember the details but  I can recall the problem was an
infinite loop where you close the dialog and it immediately reopened so
there was no way to escape out of it other than killing the frontend. It
may not be the proper fix I find the MythVideo code hard to understand
with all the different layers. I don't actually use it anymore so if you
think it fixes something just revert it.

Paul H.

Re: Ad ticket #13518: tmdb3.py not automatically loads available cover/banner [ In reply to ]
On 26/09/2020 14:32, Roland Ernst wrote:
> @ Paul H. and @ warpme
>
> Hi, could you please review the patch proposed in #13518?
>
> I still do not know the reason for
> https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/commit/2738b98
>
> Reverting this, restores the loading of available cover/banner/artwork.

That makes a lot of sense. I remember on 29.1, after selecting a series
from the list, being offered the chance to select metadata. Also, I
remember the logs used to show calls to the grabber with series and
episode numbers tacked onto the args. LookupData does that.
Re: Ad ticket #13518: tmdb3.py not automatically loads available cover/banner [ In reply to ]
Paul,
thank you for the prompt answer.

On Sat, Sep 26, 2020 at 5:30 PM Paul Harrison <mythtv@mythqml.net> wrote:

> I don't remember the details but I can recall the problem was an
> infinite loop where you close the dialog and it immediately reopened so
> there was no way to escape out of it other than killing the frontend.

Ah, I see. Metadata lookup has an 'auto' mode, which selects unconditionally
the best match, or the first one, in case of no criteria.
I will see if I can use this to break the loop.

Regards,
Roland
Re: Ad ticket #13518: tmdb3.py not automatically loads available cover/banner [ In reply to ]
On 26/09/2020 17:25, Roland Ernst wrote:

> Paul,
> thank you for the prompt answer.
>
> On Sat, Sep 26, 2020 at 5:30 PM Paul Harrison <mythtv@mythqml.net
> <mailto:mythtv@mythqml.net>> wrote:
>
> I don't remember the details but  I can recall the problem was an
> infinite loop where you close the dialog and it immediately reopened so
> there was no way to escape out of it other than killing the frontend.
>

> Ah, I see. Metadata lookup has an 'auto' mode, which selects unconditionally
> the best match, or the first one, in case of no criteria.
> I will see if I can use this to break the loop.

Will that mean losing the option to choose artwork?
Re: Ad ticket #13518: tmdb3.py not automatically loads available cover/banner [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Sep 26, 2020 at 8:02 PM Paul Gardiner <lists@glidos.net> wrote:

> On 26/09/2020 17:25, Roland Ernst wrote:
>
> > Ah, I see. Metadata lookup has an 'auto' mode, which selects
> unconditionally
> > the best match, or the first one, in case of no criteria.
> > I will see if I can use this to break the loop.
>
> Will that mean losing the option to choose artwork?
>
> I like the way it was done in v29 and will try to restore this in a more
safe way.
Re: Ad ticket #13518: tmdb3.py not automatically loads available cover/banner [ In reply to ]
On 26/09/2020 20:00, Roland Ernst wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 26, 2020 at 8:02 PM Paul Gardiner <lists@glidos.net
> <mailto:lists@glidos.net>> wrote:
>
> On 26/09/2020 17:25, Roland Ernst wrote:
>
> > Ah, I see. Metadata lookup has an 'auto' mode, which selects
> unconditionally
> > the best match, or the first one, in case of no criteria.
> > I will see if I can use this to break the loop.
>
> Will that mean losing the option to choose artwork?
>
> I like the way it was done in v29 and will try to restore this in a more
> safe way.

Excellent!
Re: Ad ticket #13518: tmdb3.py not automatically loads available cover/banner [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Sep 26, 2020 at 1:04 PM Paul Gardiner <lists@glidos.net> wrote:

> On 26/09/2020 20:00, Roland Ernst wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, Sep 26, 2020 at 8:02 PM Paul Gardiner <lists@glidos.net
> > <mailto:lists@glidos.net>> wrote:
> >
> > On 26/09/2020 17:25, Roland Ernst wrote:
> >
> > > Ah, I see. Metadata lookup has an 'auto' mode, which selects
> > unconditionally
> > > the best match, or the first one, in case of no criteria.
> > > I will see if I can use this to break the loop.
> >
> > Will that mean losing the option to choose artwork?
> >
> > I like the way it was done in v29 and will try to restore this in a more
> > safe way.
>
> Excellent!

<rant>
My main gripe with the metadata art grabber is that it grabs the WRONG art.
If it is not an *exact* match then it should not grab it!!!!!!!!!!!! I
would rather have no artwork than the wrong artwork. An example is the
movie "Basic" has the artwork for "Basic Up". The grabber should not allow
substrings to match in either direction.

Even better would be if it grabbed artwork in the correct language. It is
amazing how much of my artwork is in Japanese.

It would be nice if the grabber paid attention to the original air date (if
available) to help pick which version of the movie or tv show it should
match. For example, I recorded The Avengers (2012) and the grabber gave me
artwork for The Avengers (1961)
</rant>

John
Re: Ad ticket #13518: tmdb3.py not automatically loads available cover/banner [ In reply to ]
> Wiadomo?? napisana przez John P Poet <jppoet@gmail.com> w dniu 26.09.2020, o godz. 21:36:
>

> It would be nice if the grabber paid attention to the original air date (if available) to help pick which version of the movie or tv show it should match. For example, I recorded The Avengers (2012) and the grabber gave me artwork for The Avengers (1961)
> </rant>
>
> John

John,

You may try https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/pull/103/commits/f6d9ade62090d9cda84d2dc6172dc6f5d1400498
in my case for cases with multiple movies from multiple years with the same title user not receiving dialog to select proper one as year helps to identify proper one automatically…

Re: Ad ticket #13518: tmdb3.py not automatically loads available cover/banner [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Sep 28, 2020 at 2:27 AM Piotr Oniszczuk <piotr.oniszczuk@gmail.com>
wrote:

> > Wiadomo?? napisana przez John P Poet <jppoet@gmail.com> w dniu
> 26.09.2020, o godz. 21:36:
> >

> > It would be nice if the grabber paid attention to the original air date
> (if available) to help pick which version of the movie or tv show it should
> match. For example, I recorded The Avengers (2012) and the grabber gave me
> artwork for The Avengers (1961)
> > </rant>
> >
> > John
> >

> John,
>
> You may try
> https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/pull/103/commits/f6d9ade62090d9cda84d2dc6172dc6f5d1400498
> in my case for cases with multiple movies from multiple years with the
> same title user not receiving dialog to select proper one as year helps to
> identify proper one automatically…

Thank you Piotr. I will give that a try.

John