klaas@MyZen mythtv]$ sudo dnf install libXxf86vm-devel
after which configure and make are OK.

The most obvious solution is:
- add libXxf86vm-devel to the dependencies in Ansible

However, there could be a relation to the problems in ticket #13483 about
X11 in Wayland, and maybe the way forward is to remove the dependencies on
X11 libraries.

Klaas.
Re: Build of MythTV on Fedora 32 [ In reply to ]
On 25/07/2020 22:40, Klaas de Waal wrote:
> Hi,
>
> After a clean install of Fedora 32 on what was previously my Windows
> laptop I have built today's MythTV master as documented
> in https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Build_from_Source
>
> Install ansible and loading dependencies OK.
> Install mythtv. OK.
> However, the configure fails:
> klaas@MyZen mythtv]$ ./configure --prefix=/home/klaas/mythtv-master/usr
> ERROR: libXxf86vm not found
>
> This is then solved by installing this library:
> klaas@MyZen mythtv]$ sudo dnf install libXxf86vm-devel
> after which configure and make are OK.
>
> The most obvious solution is:
> - add libXxf86vm-devel to the dependencies in Ansible
>
> However, there could be a relation to the problems in ticket #13483
> about X11 in Wayland, and maybe the way forward is to remove the
> dependencies on X11 libraries.

I didn't think we actually required this library anymore???
My preference would be to move towards not requiring it if possible.

Regards
Stuart
Re: Build of MythTV on Fedora 32 [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 2020-07-27 at 15:54 +0100, Stuart Auchterlonie wrote:
> On 25/07/2020 22:40, Klaas de Waal wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > After a clean install of Fedora 32 on what was previously my
> > Windows
> > laptop I have built today's MythTV master as documented
> > in https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Build_from_Source
> >
> > Install ansible and loading dependencies OK.
> > Install mythtv. OK.
> > However, the configure fails:
> > klaas@MyZen mythtv]$ ./configure --prefix=/home/klaas/mythtv-
> > master/usr
> > ERROR: libXxf86vm not found
> >
> > This is then solved by installing this library:
> > klaas@MyZen mythtv]$ sudo dnf install libXxf86vm-devel
> > after which configure and make are OK.
> >
> > The most obvious solution is:
> > - add libXxf86vm-devel to the dependencies in Ansible
> >
> > However, there could be a relation to the problems in ticket #13483
> > about X11 in Wayland, and maybe the way forward is to remove the
> > dependencies on X11 libraries.
> >

> I didn't think we actually required this library anymore???
> My preference would be to move towards not requiring it if possible.

Its still required by platforms/mythxdisplay.cpp.

David

Re: Build of MythTV on Fedora 32 [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Jul 27, 2020 at 9:54 AM Stuart Auchterlonie <
stuarta@squashedfrog.net> wrote:

> On 25/07/2020 22:40, Klaas de Waal wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > After a clean install of Fedora 32 on what was previously my Windows
> > laptop I have built today's MythTV master as documented
> > in https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Build_from_Source
> >
> > Install ansible and loading dependencies OK.
> > Install mythtv. OK.
> > However, the configure fails:
> > klaas@MyZen mythtv]$ ./configure --prefix=/home/klaas/mythtv-master/usr
> > ERROR: libXxf86vm not found
> >
> > This is then solved by installing this library:
> > klaas@MyZen mythtv]$ sudo dnf install libXxf86vm-devel
> > after which configure and make are OK.
> >
> > The most obvious solution is:
> > - add libXxf86vm-devel to the dependencies in Ansible
> >
> > However, there could be a relation to the problems in ticket #13483
> > about X11 in Wayland, and maybe the way forward is to remove the
> > dependencies on X11 libraries.
> >

> I didn't think we actually required this library anymore???
> My preference would be to move towards not requiring it if possible.

Indeed, I don't pull it in anymore for the RPM Fusion packages.

Klass, you can use my spec file as a reference for the various build
requirements and such:

https://pkgs.rpmfusion.org/cgit/free/mythtv.git/tree/mythtv.spec

Thanks,
Richard
Re: Build of MythTV on Fedora 32 [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Jul 27, 2020 at 3:14 PM Richard Shaw <hobbes1069@gmail.com> wrote:

>> On 25/07/2020 22:40, Klaas de Waal wrote:

>> > The most obvious solution is:
>> > - add libXxf86vm-devel to the dependencies in Ansible

> Indeed, I don't pull it in anymore for the RPM Fusion packages.
>
> Klass, you can use my spec file as a reference for the various build requirements and such:
>
> https://pkgs.rpmfusion.org/cgit/free/mythtv.git/tree/mythtv.spec

I think you missed line 181 which pulls it in...

Are you, perhaps, remembering the (legacy) XvMC
support which was dropped (and likely the spec
file was updated)?
Re: Build of MythTV on Fedora 32 [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Jul 27, 2020 at 2:54 PM Stuart Auchterlonie
<stuarta@squashedfrog.net> wrote:

> My preference would be to move towards not requiring it if possible.

As I recall (from what seems like a decade ago
(hm, looking back at the announcement, it was)),
there was a plan to eliminate some of the
various additional Xv support. Given all the work
with OpenGL rendering improvements perhaps
the time has arrived?
Re: Build of MythTV on Fedora 32 [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 27 Jul 2020 at 15:54, Stuart Auchterlonie
<stuarta@squashedfrog.net> wrote:

> On 25/07/2020 22:40, Klaas de Waal wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > After a clean install of Fedora 32 on what was previously my Windows
> > laptop I have built today's MythTV master as documented
> > in https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Build_from_Source
> >
> > Install ansible and loading dependencies OK.
> > Install mythtv. OK.
> > However, the configure fails:
> > klaas@MyZen mythtv]$ ./configure --prefix=/home/klaas/mythtv-master/usr
> > ERROR: libXxf86vm not found
> >
> > This is then solved by installing this library:
> > klaas@MyZen mythtv]$ sudo dnf install libXxf86vm-devel
> > after which configure and make are OK.
> >
> > The most obvious solution is:
> > - add libXxf86vm-devel to the dependencies in Ansible
> >
> > However, there could be a relation to the problems in ticket #13483
> > about X11 in Wayland, and maybe the way forward is to remove the
> > dependencies on X11 libraries.
> >

> I didn't think we actually required this library anymore???
> My preference would be to move towards not requiring it if possible.

This is still required to interrogate video mode lines for X. It may
be possible to use other APIs but that will still involve pulling in
something like XRandR.

I'm all for removing dependencies - but on linux I work on the
assumption that we should be targeting a build that works on all
supported Qt/QPA platforms - e.g. xcb, wayland and eglfs.

Regards
Mark
Re: Build of MythTV on Fedora 32 [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Jul 27, 2020 at 4:50 PM Mark Kendall <mark.kendall@gmail.com> wrote:

> This is still required to interrogate video mode lines for X. It may
> be possible to use other APIs but that will still involve pulling in
> something like XRandR.

I am not volunteering to do the work, but from
a cursory scan it would seem like using the Qt
QScreen class returns the information that
MythTV is looking for (pixels and refresh rate).
And I am always in favor of making the hard
stuff SEP.
Re: Build of MythTV on Fedora 32 [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 30 Jul 2020 at 17:07, Gary Buhrmaster <gary.buhrmaster@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am not volunteering to do the work, but from
> a cursory scan it would seem like using the Qt
> QScreen class returns the information that
> MythTV is looking for (pixels and refresh rate).
> And I am always in favor of making the hard
> stuff SEP.

Unfortunately the Qt xcb plugin only returns an integer refresh rate
(mentioned in mythdisplayx11) which would break judder free refresh
rate matching, but...

we only fallback to the refresh rate from libXxf86vm if xrandr is not
available. The other call to libXxf86vm in mythxdisplay is no longer
used.

So it is simple enough to remove the libXxf86vm dependency.
libxinerama and libxext are also no longer required. I've just done a
test build that removes the requirement for all 3 and requires
libxrandr instead - with no obvious problems.

Any objections to making libxrandr a requirement (it is currently
optional)? It is currently included in the ansible playlists but is
listed as optional in some.

regards
Mark
Re: Build of MythTV on Fedora 32 [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Aug 2, 2020 at 9:48 AM Mark Kendall <mark.kendall@gmail.com> wrote:

> Unfortunately the Qt xcb plugin only returns an integer refresh rate

I believe that was a bug fixed in Qt 5.13(ish). See Qt
commit 425c59783c or the original bug report QTBUG-73911
(which does not directly mention the refresh rate in the report,
just in the discussion, but the resolution was to return a proper
real value for the refresh rate).

> Any objections to making libxrandr a requirement (it is currently
> optional)? It is currently included in the ansible playlists but is
> listed as optional in some.

I am not a decider, but none from me (as I have been
building with RandR support for quite some time), and
the MythTV packaging repo requires the xrandr libraries
for the usual suspects, so I expect no changes in results
for those using the normal processes.

I suppose in theory one should move the ansible line
from the "optional" to the "essential" group, but that is
mostly just a minor nit in grouping in the playbook, and
does not impact what is installed (and I think at least
one of the essential group items (hdhomerun) is technically
optional, so the list is not entirely grouped correctly
today).
Re: Build of MythTV on Fedora 32 [ In reply to ]
On 02/08/2020 10:47, Mark Kendall wrote:

> So it is simple enough to remove the libXxf86vm dependency.
> libxinerama and libxext are also no longer required. I've just done a
> test build that removes the requirement for all 3 and requires
> libxrandr instead - with no obvious problems.

The data available from Xinerama can be retrieved from Qt so there
is definitely no need for that!

Cheers
Stuart