Mailing List Archive

Re: src symbolic link in mythtv directory
On 2/20/20 9:08 AM, Hans Dingemans wrote:
> Hi Peter,
>
> First of all thanks for your support on the mythfilldatabase patch;
> hoping it will get committed soon!
>
> As you might have seen, a lot of "workarounds" came along on my
> question on the "src" symbolic link, but nobody seems to know why it
> is there.
>
> Since I am the "get rid of the root cause" kind of guy, I looked into
> it, and found it has to do with a few lines in the ./configure script.
> Turns out the script is trying to create the link (so it can use it as
> a relative path, I think), and if that doesn't work, uses the absolute
> path. That seems easy if you copy/move your building directories, but
> nowadays if you copy/move that, you would have to clean your building
> environment anyway, because at other places absolute paths are used.
>
> The script seems to be a copy of the FFmpeg configure script, but they
> already differ, so I thought it might cause no harm to further adapt
> it; see the patch I attached.
>
> It is only a minor thing, if you don't have time, or you think it will
> "rock the boat", then lets just forget about it.
>

> Happy coding!
>
> Hans.
configure was originally a copy of the ffmpeg configure. There is an
awful lot of junk in it from FFmpeg that does not belong there and
should be removed. I started on this a couple of years ago, removed some
things, but gave up after only removing a fraction of what is not
needed. Look at commit 9563786648 (git show 9563786648).

Is that "src" link a part of the original ffmpeg? It can probably be
removed, but then delete the lines rather than commenting them and fix
the comment, which would no longer make sense.

about development subjects, to keep everybody in the loop.

Regards
Peter