Mailing List Archive

MythCodecContext: 2 concurrent hardware frames contexts
Hi Mark: This is v32.Pre.3 a83c0d in F30 with a new nVidia update:
440.59 playing SD or HD.

The next line is 'cuda frames context finished' and segfaults have
followed. Would you like logs? I haven't looked for other settings.

Thanks,

John
Re: MythCodecContext: 2 concurrent hardware frames contexts [ In reply to ]
Thanks John,

Can you get a full '-v playback' log.

N.B. the '2 concurrent hardware frames contexts' error/warning is in
itself not an issue for nvdec.

Crashing is a different matter:)

Regards, Mark

Re: MythCodecContext: 2 concurrent hardware frames contexts [ In reply to ]
I didn't give it time to crash

https://drive.google.com/open?id=15v5L_ONwUX9HCbU8q3WUWPuFpwGVb1Sv

========

Re: MythCodecContext: 2 concurrent hardware frames contexts [ In reply to ]
John

440.59 is not available for me yet and I can't reproduce what you are
seeing here with 435.21. The videobuffers are being reset once a
second - which is just going to end in tears:)

Can you upload a 60second sample of a file that demonstrates the problem?

Thanks and regards
Mark

Re: MythCodecContext: 2 concurrent hardware frames contexts [ In reply to ]
I thought one I had done earlier might work, but that might just have
video pauses instead. This shows the concurrent frames problem:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1yqlC2R-7MwTBbdLdZgcpsecMKaXNMKNJ

and this is the older one that probably needs some tlc too:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1yQjyTQNgy9mwXpdl7jtZbX17P5R6tgCu

Cheers,

John
========

Re: MythCodecContext: 2 concurrent hardware frames contexts [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 7 Feb 2020 at 17:24, John Pilkington <johnpilk222@gmail.com> wrote:

> I thought one I had done earlier might work, but that might just have
> video pauses instead. This shows the concurrent frames problem:
>
> https://drive.google.com/open?id=1yqlC2R-7MwTBbdLdZgcpsecMKaXNMKNJ

Thanks - that had the same problem here. I've pushed an update and it
should play without issue now; but note that while playback was
jittery for me, I couldn't 'encourage' it to crash at all...

> and this is the older one that probably needs some tlc too:
>
> https://drive.google.com/open?id=1yQjyTQNgy9mwXpdl7jtZbX17P5R6tgCu

That plays without issue here (VAAPI, VDPAU, NVDEC and MediaCodec
tested) - before and after the latest fix.

I'd like to push these NVDEC updates to the 31 branch if they are
stable - so if you see any more problems, please shout.

Is the issue with OpenGL/EGL etc resolved?

Regards
Mark
Re: MythCodecContext: 2 concurrent hardware frames contexts [ In reply to ]
On 07/02/2020 19:31, Mark Kendall wrote:
> On Fri, 7 Feb 2020 at 17:24, John Pilkington <johnpilk222@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I thought one I had done earlier might work, but that might just have
>> video pauses instead. This shows the concurrent frames problem:
>>
>> https://drive.google.com/open?id=1yqlC2R-7MwTBbdLdZgcpsecMKaXNMKNJ
>
> Thanks - that had the same problem here. I've pushed an update and it
> should play without issue now; but note that while playback was
> jittery for me, I couldn't 'encourage' it to crash at all...

I'm finding playback is ok with vdpau but today's build/driver
combination is painful with nvdec. Audio decoding pauses and no
response to playback control input during them. It hasn't been obvious
to me whether this is crash handling in progress. I'll start the new
build.

>> and this is the older one that probably needs some tlc too:
>>
>> https://drive.google.com/open?id=1yQjyTQNgy9mwXpdl7jtZbX17P5R6tgCu
>
> That plays without issue here (VAAPI, VDPAU, NVDEC and MediaCodec
> tested) - before and after the latest fix.
>
> I'd like to push these NVDEC updates to the 31 branch if they are
> stable - so if you see any more problems, please shout.
>
> Is the issue with OpenGL/EGL etc resolved?

Only in the sense that it works (ffmpeg-only system) with the preamble
and doesn't play content without. Should I just export the ev?

Re: MythCodecContext: 2 concurrent hardware frames contexts [ In reply to ]
The playback problem that I saw earlier was with 32.Pre.3.ga83c0d

A few minute's viewing with 32.Pre.8.g46f840 and the nVidia 440.59
driver suggests that the problem is fixed. I still see some loss of
picture rigidity during panning, but only DLNA (or the android leanback
frontend on guaranteed non-interlaced h264 content) have done it better.

I would say it's ready to push to fixes. Thanks.

John
Re: MythCodecContext: 2 concurrent hardware frames contexts [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 7 Feb 2020 at 19:54, John Pilkington <johnpilk222@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Is the issue with OpenGL/EGL etc resolved?
>
> Only in the sense that it works (ffmpeg-only system) with the preamble
> and doesn't play content without. Should I just export the ev?

I'm not sure how you are building - but have you done a complete
re-build? i.e. uninstall, distclean and run configure again.

The fix I was hoping would resolve your problem is in the configure script.

If you've done so, can you post the output of configure and the
contents of configure.ep so I can see what is going on.

Thanks and regards
Mark
Re: MythCodecContext: 2 concurrent hardware frames contexts [ In reply to ]
On 08/02/2020 12:30, Mark Kendall wrote:
> On Fri, 7 Feb 2020 at 19:54, John Pilkington <johnpilk222@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> Is the issue with OpenGL/EGL etc resolved?
>>
>> Only in the sense that it works (ffmpeg-only system) with the preamble
>> and doesn't play content without. Should I just export the ev?
>
> I'm not sure how you are building - but have you done a complete
> re-build? i.e. uninstall, distclean and run configure again.
>
> The fix I was hoping would resolve your problem is in the configure script.
>
> If you've done so, can you post the output of configure and the
> contents of configure.ep so I can see what is going on.
>
> Thanks and regards
> Mark

I'm afraid the build process is rather 'black box-ish' to me; I'm using

https://github.com/garybuhrmaster/packaging/tree/master/MythTV/rpm

but the box in question runs el7 with the kde/plasma desktop. That
requires a myth-incompatible version of vpx, so my builds have just
disabled vpx while Gary's build the proper version. And I notice other
recent activity on the site, which won't have affected my el7 builds to
date.

However, my understanding is that the builds are all done in a clean
environment. Much of the logging is deleted on success, but I'll see if
I can find anything that looks relevant.

John

Re: MythCodecContext: 2 concurrent hardware frames contexts [ In reply to ]
On 08/02/2020 14:06, John Pilkington wrote:
> On 08/02/2020 12:30, Mark Kendall wrote:

>>> Only in the sense that it works (ffmpeg-only system) with the preamble
>>> and doesn't play content without.  Should I just export the ev?
>>
>> I'm not sure how you are building - but have you done a complete
>> re-build? i.e. uninstall, distclean and run configure again.
>>
>> The fix I was hoping would resolve your problem is in the configure
>> script.
>>
>> If you've done so, can you post the output of configure and the
>> contents of configure.ep so I can see what is going on.
>>
>> Thanks and regards
>> Mark
>
> I'm afraid the build process is rather 'black box-ish' to me;  I'm using
>
> https://github.com/garybuhrmaster/packaging/tree/master/MythTV/rpm
>
> but the box in question runs el7 with the kde/plasma desktop.  That
> requires a myth-incompatible version of vpx, so my builds have just
> disabled vpx while Gary's build the proper version.   And I notice other
> recent activity on the site, which won't have affected my el7 builds to
> date.
>
> However, my understanding is that the builds are all done in a clean
> environment.  Much of the logging is deleted on success, but I'll see if
> I can find anything that looks relevant.
>
> John

These?

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1swPeTGUURUCIcnjNaeW69GFnKU88DBOl

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1SDBkzkcn2gxsEc3tQCxPs3kZBQ5B6z15
Re: MythCodecContext: 2 concurrent hardware frames contexts [ In reply to ]

Re: MythCodecContext: 2 concurrent hardware frames contexts [ In reply to ]
On 08/02/2020 15:36, John Pilkington wrote:
> On 08/02/2020 14:36, John Pilkington wrote:

>>> I'm afraid the build process is rather 'black box-ish' to me;  I'm using
>>>
>>> https://github.com/garybuhrmaster/packaging/tree/master/MythTV/rpm
>>>
>>> but the box in question runs el7 with the kde/plasma desktop.  That
>>> requires a myth-incompatible version of vpx, so my builds have just
>>> disabled vpx while Gary's build the proper version.   And I notice
>>> other recent activity on the site, which won't have affected my el7
>>> builds to date.
>>>
>>> However, my understanding is that the builds are all done in a clean
>>> environment.  Much of the logging is deleted on success, but I'll see
>>> if I can find anything that looks relevant.
>>>
>>> John
>>>
>> These?
>>
>> https://drive.google.com/open?id=1swPeTGUURUCIcnjNaeW69GFnKU88DBOl
>>
>> https://drive.google.com/open?id=1SDBkzkcn2gxsEc3tQCxPs3kZBQ5B6z15
> ===========
>
> ...  and, of course, I'm building on a different machine and installing
> the packages.  Can a config-based mechanism do that?

============

Continuing on this topic, which has again diverged from the subject:

I now have master (46f8404) from the ppa:mythbuntu/32 running in a
window on the kubuntu/bionic core2duo laptop. It has the same problem.

As usual for me, I'm running mythbackend in one konsole tab and

MYTHTV_NO_EGL=1 mythfrontend.real -v playback

in another. Without the preamble there is no playback, and the first
line of the log is

"Display: Requesting EGL for 'Mesa Project, 1.4'"

The current ppa 31 version is older (3df1369) and probably has other
problems too.

HTH

John