I have been building MythTV rpms using this script.

https://github.com/garybuhrmaster/packaging/tree/master/MythTV/rpm

It stopped working around the end of January, reporting sslv3 handshake
failure when attempting to download the tarball from codeload.github.com

I just tried the address in Firefox and Chrome. Both failed. FF reports
SSL_ERROR_NO_CYPHER_OVERLAP and Chrome says much the same.

Is there a magic list?

John P

Re: Problem with codeload.github.com [ In reply to ]
On 2/3/20 6:16 PM, John Pilkington wrote:
> I have been building MythTV rpms using this script.
>
> https://github.com/garybuhrmaster/packaging/tree/master/MythTV/rpm
>
> It stopped working around the end of January, reporting sslv3
> handshake failure when attempting to download the tarball from
> codeload.github.com
>
> I just tried the address in Firefox and Chrome.  Both failed. FF
> reports SSL_ERROR_NO_CYPHER_OVERLAP and Chrome says much the same.
>
> Is there a magic list?
>
> John P

I went to https://codeload.github.com using chrome and it is ok.
Certificate is fine. Perhaps the problem has been resolved.

Peter
Re: Problem with codeload.github.com [ In reply to ]
On 04/02/2020 13:43, Peter Bennett wrote:

> On 2/3/20 6:16 PM, John Pilkington wrote:
>> I have been building MythTV rpms using this script.
>>
>> https://github.com/garybuhrmaster/packaging/tree/master/MythTV/rpm
>>
>> It stopped working around the end of January, reporting sslv3
>> handshake failure when attempting to download the tarball from
>> codeload.github.com
>>
>> I just tried the address in Firefox and Chrome.  Both failed. FF
>> reports SSL_ERROR_NO_CYPHER_OVERLAP and Chrome says much the same.
>>
>> Is there a magic list?
>>
>> John P
>>

> I went to https://codeload.github.com using chrome and it is ok.
> Certificate is fine. Perhaps the problem has been resolved.
>
> Peter

Hmm. Thanks, Peter. It seems that it works from Australia and the USA,
but here in the UK I still see this from Firefox, and similar from
Chrome. Long ago it used to download. I think I should perhaps ask
BT, but their robots just want to sell me TV services...

My last build was 3 hours before Brexit... :-)

https://codeload.github.com/MythTV/mythtv/tar.gz/master
Secure Connection Failed

An error occurred during a connection to codeload.github.com. Cannot
communicate securely with peer: no common encryption algorithm(s). Error
code: SSL_ERROR_NO_CYPHER_OVERLAP

The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the
authenticity of the received data could not be verified.
Please contact the web site owners to inform them of this problem.

John

Re: Problem with codeload.github.com [ In reply to ]
On 04/02/2020 14:03, John Pilkington wrote:
> On 04/02/2020 13:43, Peter Bennett wrote:
>>

>> On 2/3/20 6:16 PM, John Pilkington wrote:
>>> I have been building MythTV rpms using this script.
>>>
>>> https://github.com/garybuhrmaster/packaging/tree/master/MythTV/rpm
>>>
>>> It stopped working around the end of January, reporting sslv3
>>> handshake failure when attempting to download the tarball from
>>> codeload.github.com
>>>
>>> I just tried the address in Firefox and Chrome.  Both failed. FF
>>> reports SSL_ERROR_NO_CYPHER_OVERLAP and Chrome says much the same.
>>>
>>> Is there a magic list?
>>>
>>> John P
>>>

>> I went to https://codeload.github.com using chrome and it is ok.
>> Certificate is fine. Perhaps the problem has been resolved.
>>
>> Peter
>
> Hmm.  Thanks, Peter.  It seems that it works from Australia and the USA,
> but here in the UK I still see this from Firefox, and similar from
> Chrome.   Long ago it used to download.  I think I should perhaps ask
> BT, but their robots just want to sell me TV services...
>
> My last build was 3 hours before Brexit... :-)
>
> https://codeload.github.com/MythTV/mythtv/tar.gz/master
> Secure Connection Failed
>
> An error occurred during a connection to codeload.github.com. Cannot
> communicate securely with peer: no common encryption algorithm(s). Error
> code: SSL_ERROR_NO_CYPHER_OVERLAP
>
>     The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the
> authenticity of the received data could not be verified.
>     Please contact the web site owners to inform them of this problem.

Here's some geekier stuff:

[john@HP_Box 31Pre1846.el7]$ curl -v --anyauth
https://codeload.github.com/MythTV/mythtv/tar.gz/master
* About to connect() to codeload.github.com port 443 (#0)
* Trying 81.130.111.239...
* Connected to codeload.github.com (81.130.111.239) port 443 (#0)
* Initializing NSS with certpath: sql:/etc/pki/nssdb
* CAfile: /etc/pki/tls/certs/ca-bundle.crt
CApath: none
* NSS error -12286 (SSL_ERROR_NO_CYPHER_OVERLAP)
* Cannot communicate securely with peer: no common encryption algorithm(s).
* Closing connection 0
curl: (35) Cannot communicate securely with peer: no common encryption
algorithm(s).
[john@HP_Box 31Pre1846.el7]$ whois 81.130.111.239

% Information related to '81.130.96.0 - 81.130.111.255'

% Information related to '81.128.0.0/12AS2856'

route: 81.128.0.0/12
descr: BT Public Internet Service

There's an email address in there too. I'll try it.

John

Re: Problem with codeload.github.com [ In reply to ]
On 2/4/20 10:06 AM, John Pilkington wrote:
> On 04/02/2020 14:03, John Pilkington wrote:

>>> I went to https://codeload.github.com using chrome and it is ok.
>>> Certificate is fine. Perhaps the problem has been resolved.
>>>
>>> Peter
>>
>> Hmm.  Thanks, Peter.  It seems that it works from Australia and the
>> USA, but here in the UK I still see this from Firefox, and similar
>> from Chrome.   Long ago it used to download.  I think I should
>> perhaps ask BT, but their robots just want to sell me TV services...
>>
>> My last build was 3 hours before Brexit... :-)
>>
>> https://codeload.github.com/MythTV/mythtv/tar.gz/master
>> Secure Connection Failed
>>
>> An error occurred during a connection to codeload.github.com. Cannot
>> communicate securely with peer: no common encryption algorithm(s).
>> Error code: SSL_ERROR_NO_CYPHER_OVERLAP
>>
>>      The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the
>> authenticity of the received data could not be verified.
>>      Please contact the web site owners to inform them of this problem.
>>

> Here's some geekier stuff:
>
> [john@HP_Box 31Pre1846.el7]$ curl -v --anyauth
> https://codeload.github.com/MythTV/mythtv/tar.gz/master
> * About to connect() to codeload.github.com port 443 (#0)
> *   Trying 81.130.111.239...
> * Connected to codeload.github.com (81.130.111.239) port 443 (#0)
> * Initializing NSS with certpath: sql:/etc/pki/nssdb
> *   CAfile: /etc/pki/tls/certs/ca-bundle.crt
>   CApath: none
> * NSS error -12286 (SSL_ERROR_NO_CYPHER_OVERLAP)
> * Cannot communicate securely with peer: no common encryption
> algorithm(s).
> * Closing connection 0
> curl: (35) Cannot communicate securely with peer: no common encryption
> algorithm(s).
> [john@HP_Box 31Pre1846.el7]$ whois 81.130.111.239
>
> % Information related to '81.130.96.0 - 81.130.111.255'
>
> % Information related to '81.128.0.0/12AS2856'
>
> route:          81.128.0.0/12
> descr:          BT Public Internet Service
>
> There's an email address in there too.  I'll try it.
I have no problem accessing the URL, ether. It sounds as though the
machine you're accessing this URL from has outdated SSL cyphers
installed, or something in the config is restricting which ones are
available. I recently ran into this on a couple of ancient CentOS 5
machines. If possible, try updating openssl.
Re: Problem with codeload.github.com [ In reply to ]
On 04/02/2020 15:06, John Pilkington wrote:

> Here's some geekier stuff:
>
> [john@HP_Box 31Pre1846.el7]$ curl -v --anyauth
> https://codeload.github.com/MythTV/mythtv/tar.gz/master
> * About to connect() to codeload.github.com port 443 (#0)
> *   Trying 81.130.111.239...
> * Connected to codeload.github.com (81.130.111.239) port 443 (#0)
> * Initializing NSS with certpath: sql:/etc/pki/nssdb
> *   CAfile: /etc/pki/tls/certs/ca-bundle.crt
>   CApath: none
> * NSS error -12286 (SSL_ERROR_NO_CYPHER_OVERLAP)
> * Cannot communicate securely with peer: no common encryption algorithm(s).
> * Closing connection 0
> curl: (35) Cannot communicate securely with peer: no common encryption
> algorithm(s).
> [john@HP_Box 31Pre1846.el7]$ whois 81.130.111.239
>
> % Information related to '81.130.96.0 - 81.130.111.255'
>
> % Information related to '81.128.0.0/12AS2856'
>
> route:          81.128.0.0/12
> descr:          BT Public Internet Service

Sorry for the noise. I power-cycled the BT Hub and Firefox is asking
what I want to do with the download.

John