Mailing List Archive

Qt changing there terms under which its popular open-source Qt library is available
Wonder how this will affect MythTV?

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2020/01/28/new_qt_terms_changes_are_necessary_for_our_business_model/

Paul H.

Re: Qt changing there terms under which its popular open-source Qt library is available [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Jan 29, 2020 at 12:45 AM Paul Harrison <mythtv@mythqml.net> wrote:

> Wonder how this will affect MythTV?

I expect the answer to be little to none for the
"primary" platforms.

In most cases MythTV uses the distro's Qt,
and downloading the sources (which most
packagers use to build) and backporting
source fixes (which most package maintainers
use) will still be freely available and performed
by those maintainers (i.e. same as always).

Those that currently download binary
distributions (I think some Mac builds did this,
although I think some others built from
sources) will be required to register, and
anyone expecting to stay on Qt LTS binary
releases (not that LTS releases is a rather
newer idea in the Qt ecosystem) will now
need to plan to move forward to newer
version binary releases to get fixes.

To first approximation current MythTV runs on
anywhere from Qt 5.5 to the latest Qt, and
certain devs (Hi David!) are quite good about
updating the codes to deal with Qt functional
deprecations in preparation for the eventual
Qt 6 (where the deprecations might actually
be impactful).

Of course, I could be wrong.