monitor, or 'mythfrontend -nw --geometry 1920x1080+1680+0' which puts it
on the TV. It works well and the ALSA:default virtual audio device can
give sound from either or both sets sets of speakers.

But although it all works, current master seems slightly confused by
this arrangement, and on startup in either mode the 'Display: available
modes' section shows xrandr values that relate to the monitor, not the
TV. Should I just be quiet about it :-) ?

John P
Re: nVidia screen switching [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 31 Dec 2019 at 14:54, John Pilkington <johnpilk222@gmail.com> wrote:

> For many years nVidia has seen my displays as a single X-screen 0 having
> two adjacent sections; a 60 Hz vga monitor and a 50 Hz hdmi TV. I have
> steered the picture from the command line by running either
> 'mythfrontend', which gives a windowed 1024x576+64+64 display on the
> monitor, or 'mythfrontend -nw --geometry 1920x1080+1680+0' which puts it
> on the TV. It works well and the ALSA:default virtual audio device can
> give sound from either or both sets sets of speakers.
>
> But although it all works, current master seems slightly confused by
> this arrangement, and on startup in either mode the 'Display: available
> modes' section shows xrandr values that relate to the monitor, not the
> TV. Should I just be quiet about it :-) ?

John

The new display handling code is still a work in progress - a few
issues need ironing out.

If you drop the command line geometry override and select the correct
screen in "Setup->Appearance->Theme/Screen Settings->Display on
Screen" - it should work as expected. Note however you may need to
exit and restart.

Regards
Mark
Re: nVidia screen switching [ In reply to ]
On 01/01/2020 12:21, Mark Kendall wrote:
> On Tue, 31 Dec 2019 at 14:54, John Pilkington <johnpilk222@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> For many years nVidia has seen my displays as a single X-screen 0 having
>> two adjacent sections; a 60 Hz vga monitor and a 50 Hz hdmi TV. I have
>> steered the picture from the command line by running either
>> 'mythfrontend', which gives a windowed 1024x576+64+64 display on the
>> monitor, or 'mythfrontend -nw --geometry 1920x1080+1680+0' which puts it
>> on the TV. It works well and the ALSA:default virtual audio device can
>> give sound from either or both sets sets of speakers.
>>
>> But although it all works, current master seems slightly confused by
>> this arrangement, and on startup in either mode the 'Display: available
>> modes' section shows xrandr values that relate to the monitor, not the
>> TV. Should I just be quiet about it :-) ?
>
> John
>
> The new display handling code is still a work in progress - a few
> issues need ironing out.
>
> If you drop the command line geometry override and select the correct
> screen in "Setup->Appearance->Theme/Screen Settings->Display on
> Screen" - it should work as expected. Note however you may need to
> exit and restart.
>
> Regards
> Mark

Hi Mark: Thanks for that. I don't know how far down the line you are
at present, but my most recent builds have had 'Appearance' problems.
I'm currently at 27188d. I can send more details if you like.

The fonts are too wide, so text is often incomplete

Aspect ratio: the picture is half-height, centred. The only likely
option, 'Virtual monitor aspect ratio', seems to be doing nothing on
either screen. Default settings are still as above. The 'Display on
screen' option has not been effective.

... and the NVDEC detection on first startup is still unreliable. It
seems to need shaking in.

HTH, HNY etc.

John.

Re: nVidia screen switching [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 3 Jan 2020 at 11:09, John Pilkington <johnpilk222@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Mark: Thanks for that. I don't know how far down the line you are
> at present, but my most recent builds have had 'Appearance' problems.
> I'm currently at 27188d. I can send more details if you like.
>
> The fonts are too wide, so text is often incomplete
>
> Aspect ratio: the picture is half-height, centred. The only likely
> option, 'Virtual monitor aspect ratio', seems to be doing nothing on
> either screen. Default settings are still as above. The 'Display on
> screen' option has not been effective.

I pushed fixes for moving screens this morning and have just added a
workaround for nvidia stupidity which caused the font scaling issue.

I did a little quick testing with 2 connected monitors and it seems to
be working OK.

There are still some issues around multiscreen setups. Of those that
are MythTV code issues - the major problem is configuring a secondary
screen and using display resolution switching - it will currently
almost always break down until mythfrontend is restarted. Leads to
some very confusing behaviour until it is sorted.

Other than that, you tend to get broken vsync - and hence tearing -
unless the 2 displays are using exactly the same modeline. I notice on
nvidia that switching modelines on 1 display also impacts the output
on the other - which doesn't happen on intel at least. This is an
older card with legacy drivers - may be better on newer cards.

> ... and the NVDEC detection on first startup is still unreliable. It
> seems to need shaking in.

I'll revisit this when I have reinstalled my nvdec capable card.

Thanks and regards
Mark
Re: nVidia screen switching [ In reply to ]
On 03/01/2020 14:26, Mark Kendall wrote:
> On Fri, 3 Jan 2020 at 11:09, John Pilkington <johnpilk222@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi Mark: Thanks for that. I don't know how far down the line you are
>> at present, but my most recent builds have had 'Appearance' problems.
>> I'm currently at 27188d. I can send more details if you like.
>>
>> The fonts are too wide, so text is often incomplete
>>
>> Aspect ratio: the picture is half-height, centred. The only likely
>> option, 'Virtual monitor aspect ratio', seems to be doing nothing on
>> either screen. Default settings are still as above. The 'Display on
>> screen' option has not been effective.
>
> I pushed fixes for moving screens this morning and have just added a
> workaround for nvidia stupidity which caused the font scaling issue.
>
> I did a little quick testing with 2 connected monitors and it seems to
> be working OK.
>
> There are still some issues around multiscreen setups. Of those that
> are MythTV code issues - the major problem is configuring a secondary
> screen and using display resolution switching - it will currently
> almost always break down until mythfrontend is restarted. Leads to
> some very confusing behaviour until it is sorted.
>
> Other than that, you tend to get broken vsync - and hence tearing -
> unless the 2 displays are using exactly the same modeline. I notice on
> nvidia that switching modelines on 1 display also impacts the output
> on the other - which doesn't happen on intel at least. This is an
> older card with legacy drivers - may be better on newer cards.
>
>> ... and the NVDEC detection on first startup is still unreliable. It
>> seems to need shaking in.
>
> I'll revisit this when I have reinstalled my nvdec capable card.
>
> Thanks and regards
> Mark

Thanks to you, too. At current Head 1d4d51b it's working well - and my
recordings of HD and SD test cards exactly fill their boxes. I'm still
using my old overrides and haven't probed much, but it's looking good
again. The status display is nice too - although it's telling me that
Dell made my tv...

Cheers,

John
Re: nVidia screen switching [ In reply to ]
On 03/01/2020 17:57, John Pilkington wrote:

> Thanks to you, too.  At current Head 1d4d51b it's working well - and my
> recordings of HD and SD test cards exactly fill their boxes.  I'm still
> using my old overrides and haven't probed much, but it's looking good
> again.  The status display is nice too - although it's telling me that
> Dell made my tv...

I'll continue in this thread. 1d4d51b on my el7 box with Normal/GL
settings segfaults when mythcommflag --rebuild or mythpreviewgen are
called from a script or the command line. Seektable and preview
creation during recording works as normal. This feels like a re-run.
I haven't tried a backtrace.

The same happens with the F30 build and nVidia hardware.

Re: nVidia screen switching [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 4 Jan 2020 at 11:39, John Pilkington <johnpilk222@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'll continue in this thread. 1d4d51b on my el7 box with Normal/GL
> settings segfaults when mythcommflag --rebuild or mythpreviewgen are
> called from a script or the command line. Seektable and preview
> creation during recording works as normal. This feels like a re-run.
> I haven't tried a backtrace.
>
> The same happens with the F30 build and nVidia hardware.

John

This should have been fixed yesterday.

Regards
Mark